• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Magnus

I am not so sure. That would be despicable if it was so, but I for one think he was just too slow coming in with the tackle. He has been out with injury after all.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I still think we are a forward short of winning the league.
Bringing on Sturridge was so depressing.
I was thinking that for the Chelsea game.

Red over the water

I did not say I knew what the result will be, or whatever else you can think of, I specified our midfield shortcomings that we always see when those three play together. Why twist the meaning of my post. I dont get it. Still, whatever.
You may have missed the part where I said I’m just having a laugh. No harm meant.

I wasn’t thrilled by the midfield before the game kicked off, and I was down on Lovren for his performance in the game. But no matter what team we sent out we can’t know for sure how it would have panned out. We lost it narrowly, but we’re still in control of our own destiny.

Onwards and upwards. Apologies for any offense caused,

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I will probably leave this thread now, so let me go from my most negative to the most positive....

1. We lost:unhappy:
2. We increased our GA by more than 20%:-(
3. A month ago we pretty much all though we would have to win this game in order to close the gap, or lead:think:
4. One of the hardest PL games out of the way:indifferent:
5. Top of the league:-)
6. 4 points clear:celebrating:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
24 hours on and what strikes me is yet again we are left with a burning sense of injustice following a massive game against one of the big 6. The more I watch that 'tackle' the more fucking disgraceful it looks.

Can anyone actually remember the last time we came out of one of these games and thought we got away with something? It's a fucking one way street, one shite decision after another with the common denominator being they all go against us.

I'm genuinely worried we'll look back in May on the Kompany incident as having the same effect as the Eto'o non red card at Chelsea in 2013 which went a long way to costing us the title.
Yep.

I will say the milnergoal was offside in the cl, technically.

But your point remains.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Yeah, I watched it over and over again, thinking at first the keeper may have had a touch of the ball. He didn't and his trailing leg tripped Mane. Not a single pundit spoke of that foul, instead, harping on the "millimetres" moment. It's a damn foul and we should be given a penalty, end of. The other incident I am not too happy about is Kompany's tackle. Eric Baily made the same tackle the night before and was given a straight red, exactly the same and to top it off, Kompany was the last man. Yes at that time United already led Newcastle, but that should not be the reason for leniency. Shit refereeing yesterday, and with that sort of decision from the start of the match, you know shit isn't going to go well for us. No luck in front of goal, and no luck on officiating calls.
Agree on both counts and definitely in today's game Kompany should have gone I do have some personal leniency when a player gets the ball this was high, late and not in control

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Because Klopp got the midfield selection wrong, again. And Lovren was god awful. At fault for the first goal and tried his best to give them 2 more through absolutely retarded play. He deserves the criticism from this one. That coming from probably his bigger defender the last 3 years.
Wow. People really have short memory don't they. Few weeks back we were praising his goal against Newcastle and how well he has done as a 3rd/4th choice backup.
People forget that it's city, one of the best attacking team in Europe, what else do you expect, they are bound to punish if you make mistakes.
I am completely against this Lovren bashing. It's a fact that Gomez is a starter when fit. To have matip and Lovren has options shows the squad depth. Who would you rather have ? Skrtel? Klavan? Or if you rewind the clock to may be a decade back, Kyrgiakos?

The fact is , lovren would be a starter for a team like arsenal, maybe Chelsea abd even the likes of roma, napoli, inter.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Wow. People really have short memory don't they. Few weeks back we were praising his goal against Newcastle and how well he has done as a 3rd/4th choice backup.
People forget that it's city, one of the best attacking team in Europe, what else do you expect, they are bound to punish if you make mistakes.
I am completely against this Lovren bashing. It's a fact that Gomez is a starter when fit. To have matip and Lovren has options shows the squad depth. Who would you rather have ? Skrtel? Klavan? Or if you rewind the clock to may be a decade back, Kyrgiakos?

The fact is , lovren would be a starter for a team like arsenal, maybe Chelsea abd even the likes of roma, napoli, inter.
So? HIs mistake for the goal, idiotic header and retarded clearance have literally nothing to do with the opposition and everything to do with game awareness.

Show me the Mane

After a bit of reflection
We are SERIOUS title contenders
Forget this result and carry on where we left off, we are 4 points clear, lets make that count by winning as many games as possible. 90 plus points is still very achievable, more so than not if winning our home games we will be there with a few away results.
Keep the faith.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Only in the world of conspiracy theorist fans would a ref support both Man City and Man United.
True, but the fact that he's from Wythenshaw means he should never ref Utd or City games. The Premier League set their standard on that the year Leicecter City won the league when they removed Kevin Friend from one of Spurs later games due to having lived in Leicester.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
There is no doubt the Ref made a mistake, a big one. Last man, both feet off the ground, studs up, a classic red card. Add to that Manes shot that hit the post and bounced out whereas Sanes hit the post and trickled in , plus our effort that failed to cross the line by 11 millimeters and we were definitely unlucky. It happens. Maybe next time the breaks will come our way.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Only in the world of conspiracy theorist fans would a ref support both Man City and Man United.
Also would you really want an Everton fan reffing a big game for us? Do we think he would be biased towards us if we were playing United or City?

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
So? HIs mistake for the goal, idiotic header and retarded clearance have literally nothing to do with the opposition and everything to do with game awareness.
I ask you this, give in the situation we were in, with matip and Gomez injured, who else would u have preferred.
Everyone knows he is not our 1st choice. Still everyone gives him abuse , frankly, I am tired of the shit our fans give him, forgetting he is one of us.

NZred

The Red From NZ
I ask you this, give in the situation we were in, with matip and Gomez injured, who else would u have preferred.
Everyone knows he is not our 1st choice. Still everyone gives him abuse , frankly, I am tired of the shit our fans give him, forgetting he is one of us.
I've stuck up for Lovren probably more than any other fan across all LFC forums. But I can't anymore. Too many errors, too many brain farts. I said during the off season we needed to spend on another CB, I stand by that. Buy in January.

jaffod

l haven't claimed he supports either, although it would be incredibly naive to think he has no preference or leaning towards one or the other.
What I will say is this, and it appears it hasn't occured to the vast majority, but it is not possible he's gone into this match thinking if he fucks up and gives something against City which costs them points then he mighy have to live with the consequences? Or is it unlikely he'll come into contact with any City fans given he lives in the area?
He shouldn't be anywhere near a match like this.

jaffod

Also would you really want an Everton fan reffing a big game for us? Do we think he would be biased towards us if we were playing United or City?
Two completely different situations given virtually every manc would want the other manc team win it rather than Liverpool.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Spot on Jaffod. If he sends Kompany off and City go onto lose then what would have been the consequences for him? Considering he lives in the area, it must have played on his mind. An utterly absurd and disgraceful decision to appoint him in a game of such magnitude.

Last edited:

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I've stuck up for Lovren probably more than any other fan across all LFC forums. But I can't anymore. Too many errors, too many brain farts. I said during the off season we needed to spend on another CB, I stand by that. Buy in January.
Respect your views mate. Just that, the way some fans vent it out is not the Liverpool way. Lovren may not be that good, but I am sure deep down, he is as passionate as us, and tries his best in his own way.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Easy to fuck up against Citeh's fast cheating little sods,Lovren will be fine until Gomez comes back imo,
I don't even think he messed up. For the first goal Aguero was brilliant and I would put more blame on Becker for failing to cover his near post.

For the 2nd goal it was a superb run by Sterling, a brilliant finish by Sane and I don't think Lovren should be getting flak for that.

Limiescouse

I don't even think he messed up. For the first goal Aguero was brilliant and I would put more blame on Becker for failing to cover his near post.

For the 2nd goal it was a superb run by Sterling, a brilliant finish by Sane and I don't think Lovren should be getting flak for that.
This. Treating these goals like defensive mistakes lacks any sort of reasonable perspective and is basically just people being vindictive about a player they don't like.

Especially on Aguero's goal you have give him incredible credit. He was fantastically clever to use his offside position to sneak up on Lovren's blindside. But even after getting to the ball, between Lovren and Alisson you would expect their positions to allow us to deal with whatever he wanted to do 19 times out of 20. He just walloped the skin off the ball though and it went in. Hats off to him. You just cannot rip your defense apart every time you concede a goal.

Alright Now

This. Treating these goals like defensive mistakes lacks any sort of reasonable perspective and is basically just people being vindictive about a player they don't like.

Especially on Aguero's goal you have give him incredible credit. He was fantastically clever to use his offside position to sneak up on Lovren's blindside. But even after getting to the ball, between Lovren and Alisson you would expect their positions to allow us to deal with whatever he wanted to do 19 times out of 20. He just walloped the skin off the ball though and it went in. Hats off to him. You just cannot rip your defense apart every time you concede a goal.
Agree. That Aguero goal reminded me quite a bit of City's first goal that Sane scored in our 4-3 win last season. In that case, the CB was Matip and GK Karius. Both the goals were fantastic efforts by elite players. I'm not sure we could have another third choice CB or first choice GK stop either of those efforts.