POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
C

Caradoc

I don't even think he messed up. For the first goal Aguero was brilliant and I would put more blame on Becker for failing to cover his near post.

For the 2nd goal it was a superb run by Sterling, a brilliant finish by Sane and I don't think Lovren should be getting flak for that.

Saving a ball travelling at the speed Aguero hit it would be pure luck. I would imagine it would have been travelling at something like 50mph perhaps even more. If he picked the right spot which he clearly did no goalie on Earth would have stopped that.

I’m sometimes amazed by how supporters generally laud a player for scoring an unstoppable shot from 30 metres but berate a goalkeeper for failing to stop a shot travelling at the same speed from a few metres. If the player finds a gap big enough to squeeze the ball through and its on target that’s it ...... nothing the goalie can do.

Magnus

I want to eccho some people here. Lovren has made a fair few mistakes in a Liverpool shirt and he is not our best defender. Even so, against City he did a more than decent job. Agueros strike was top, top shelf and I blame neither him nor Becker. Others in red shirts struggled more with City's incredible tempo. That was our problem in the game. The tempo. On that day we simply could not handle it. I dont know about you guys, but the tempo they unleashed shocked me (never seen them play so fast this season) and definately rattled our team. Fair play to City.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Saving a ball travelling at the speed Aguero hit it would be pure luck. I would imagine it would have been travelling at something like 50mph perhaps even more. If he picked the right spot which he clearly did no goalie on Earth would have stopped that.

I’m sometimes amazed by how supporters generally laud a player for scoring an unstoppable shot from 30 metres but berate a goalkeeper for failing to stop a shot travelling at the same speed from a few metres. If the player finds a gap big enough to squeeze the ball through and its on target that’s it ...... nothing the goalie can do.
100% spot on. Not a thing Allison could have done for that goal. All Allison could do is make himself big which he did but from 6 yards away he doesn't have time to react a d the best he can do is make the target as small as possible. Simply a great instinctive finish

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.

Yes. Sometimes you've just got to take your hat off to a bit of brilliance haven't you?

I'm certainly not finding fault with either Lovren or Alisson for that goal or the other for that matter. Both of their goals were brilliant finishes.

Red Eyes

100% spot on. Not a thing Allison could have done for that goal. All Allison could do is make himself big which he did but from 6 yards away he doesn't have time to react a d the best he can do is make the target as small as possible. Simply a great instinctive finish

Aguero scored a very similar goal against United this season.

Like Alisson, De Gea was simply beaten by the sheer speed of the shot from short range. Don’t think there was anything either could have done.

Impressively, I think the one against De Gea was right footed!

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
needed a few days to digest this game. I was so certain we was gonna dominate and win the game, even had a bunch of money on it, but oh boy was I wrong. City played like madmen out there and we were just not ready. Yet we could easily had got away with a draw. We weren't run over but City just wanted it more I guess.
Had the ball crossed the Line when they showed that comical defending it would had been a different game. I was dead certain we got robbed there but it's hard to argue against a computer I guess.

Disapointed with Lovren big time I must say. He literally just stood there and watched Aguero get ahead of him and score that goal instead of intercepting the pass. His anticipation skill was nonexistent that night. Typical he had to play a stinker in such a game.

The midfield set up was evidently not on point aswell. Gini usually plays up to his best against city but this time he was just not there. Milner was fine but had to go and Hendo was just plain average, he just doesn't make any real difference anymore. His performances are usually a solid 7 but rarely above that no matter who we're playing, it's like he can't step up and show a 8-9 performance anymore. oh well.

Also I never knew how much I dislike Bernardo Silva, what a sh*tbag he is, constantly kicking down our players and moaning like a little C*nt to the ref all the time. His antics pissed me off big time that night.
They were kicking us down all over the place and Especially Mane was targeted by City I think, lost count how many times they kicked him down. the ref did a really poor job protecting him I think. The Kompany incident was a bit red'ish but compared to Van Dijk when he caught Mertens against Napoli which was way way worse as his connected it's hard to complain too much, eventhough Van Dijk should had got a red for sure for that one. I feel if we were at home Kompany would had got a red but that doesn't matter one bit now.

Anyways we are still top of the table comfortable and I don't expect us to drop form on back of this game, Klopp made sure to keep the players motivation level on point and I would not be surprised if we win next game 5-0 or something.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Yes. Sometimes you've just got to take your hat off to a bit of brilliance haven't you?

I'm certainly not finding fault with either Lovren or Alisson for that goal or the other for that matter. Both of their goals were brilliant finishes.
You don't think Lovren should had moved forward and atleast tried to block the shot.
I think he should had read the situation better and anticipate both the pass and Aguero's movemnt, instead he just stood there and watched. No way Van Dijk would had let that happen.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
You don't think Lovren should had moved forward and atleast tried to block the shot.
I think he should had read the situation better and anticipate both the pass and Aguero's movemnt, instead he just stood there and watched. No way Van Dijk would had let that happen.

Yeah, maybe you are right, maybe he should have been tighter and tried to intercept. However, in Lovren's defence it was a really quick turn and shot. Don't you think it was smart play by Aguero then?

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Yeah, maybe you are right, maybe he should have been tighter and tried to intercept. However, in Lovren's defence it was a really quick turn and shot. Don't you think it was smart play by Aguero then?
Of course it was it's Aguero we talking about, but I just wish Lovren was more sharp in the situation and could had done better. He let Aguero go past him from behind to recieve the ball like he didn't even knew he was there, and failed to move forward to close him down. slow reaction really. I may be harsh or rather been spoilt by seeing Van Dijk defend to perfection game in game out.

Stanley DK

Y. N. W. A
We all know Aguero make many goal, and he need no space to do it. But City play a good game, and we play a okay game (not the best I have seen). And with a LITTLE bit of LUCK and Kompany sendt of (red card) we have won the game!...... But this was not Lovren's best game in the red shirt.
IMO.
Y. N. W. A

Nur der BvB09

As soon as I saw the lineup for the game, I knew what was coming,
Are we going to learn from our mistakes, I doubt it. Our manager don't see the issue, and don't tell me we were doing great and beating teams, we are doing what anyone should expect from a team with the players we have. Powerful attack, strong defense and an excellent goalkeeper. We are not over achieving. but we are bottling big games with that (Stupid midfield selection). As individuals, with different formations and different players around them, they can play better.
Kill me if you want, but I think we are not going to win anything. And all that talk of biting hands if we are offered this position in August, well it is rubbish. We are a very strong team and we should doing what we are doing, no less. We are only in the lead because city lost three times. watch what happen if we draw or lose our next game.
We are wasting our chances, and will continue to do so.
Feel better to get that out of my chest, now you can shoot me.
KLOPP OUT YOU INN I forgot where you won the fecking lot in Football but it doesn t care much you are the man to bring glory at Anfield
You seem to hate Klopp and i have to respect your thoughts but he s our Manager so you stick with us or go Fancy manure
p.s. you :
Oct 22, 2017

lfc.eddie said:
Agreed, while I am no fan of Wijnaldum, but those three cannot feature together. One of them has to sit out for Wijnaldum, and Can would play better with Milner and Wijnaldum if he sits back as defensive mid. Too static if we play with those 3 together.
Another mistake by Klopp, he had to play Milner after his good display, Henderson should have been sacrificed not Gini.
well, he is learning. It may take few years but he is getting good lessons
Its in your life everything only black and White coloured?

Last edited:

GermanRed

When Shaqiri came on for Mané we played 4-2-3-1 with Wijnaldum Left Wide. Am I the only one who was reminded of the CL final when we had to replace Salah with Lallana?

For me a clear sign that we need another winger with the speed of Salah/Mané.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We got beat but its not that bad; if we had turned up and got beat that would have been more serious. Nerves, the occasion, clearly got to us, and Citeh dominated affairs really. Fernandinho had the midfield. Its all about the bounce back now. Allison MOM for some remarkable worldies in the last parts of the game that denied them twice. Still a little work to be done, mentality.
Having seen how many time Aguero has put one of our keepers on his arse going round him and casually slotting the ball home, it was a delight to see Alisson get the better of him in that one on one.

Mascot88

Admin
Absolutely spot on. The whole fucking country wants these vile cunts to win it over us and that just shows me how we are perceive.
Every man and his dog wants a clearly corrupt club that flouts the rules to win the title over a club that bends over backwards to do things the right way. They want a club that is built on the blood money of an oppresive, human rights abusing regime to win it.
It fucking sickens me. People on here like to say I'm paranoid because of my views but when you read some of the shite being spouted it's not a great stretch of the imagination to think these cunts running the game would do just about anything to stop us winning it.
Wonder if a referee who didn't live in Manchester would have sent Kompany off?
Do they? I’ve see loads of online comment from fans of other clubs hoping we win it. Even a few United fans, caught between a rock and a hard place, plumping for us.

If you really think we’re hated amongst football fans, maybe it’s because they perceive some of our number have a fucking massive chip on their shoulder, spend most of their time cry-arsing about everyone being out to get us, and can’t lose a game of football without it all being down to corruption and conspiracy. Wonder where they are getting that idea?

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
As for kompany's tackle, I always believed refs had instructions that a two footed lunge where both feet are off the ground was an instant red card offence. Taylor bottled the decision last night because Riley at the PGMOL put him in a no win position reffing this game.
He bottled it because it was the biggest game of the season. A crunch showdown between the two favourites for the league (would have been even more important had City not fluffed their lines in recent weeks). He bottled it because refs are under incredible scrutiny to not to ‘ruin’ games with sendings off. They are instructed to manage the context of games rather than just apply the fucking rules. And this is what boils my piss more than anything else about officiating.

How many times do we see a referee praised for keeping his cards in his pocket, or not sending a player off (sensible refereeing there, just has a word and calms him down) when they should? No, the rules should not be selectively applied.

When Kompany slides into Salah like he does (reckless, off the ground, nowhere near the ball, and with excessive force) what’s going through Taylor’s mind is not ‘Like fuck do I support Altricham, go blues’, it’s ‘Shit. What the fuck do I do now? That’s a red, but I’ll get it the neck off Sky and the Premier League if I send him. I’ll show him a yellow, and do my best stern face when I tell him no more’.

And before Jaffod steams in, we got away with one a couple of weeks ago, against Everton (?) when Van Dijk went in too hard and nearly broke a lads ankle.

Mascot88

Admin
It's worse than that Ed. Ederson deliberately raised his leg to catch Mané, bringing him down and preventing him going for the rebound. Definite pen in my opinion.

Put it this way, if this is a pen:

Then so is this
I have to disagree with that one.

The difference in those situations, other than Kane quite clearly playing for the Pen, is that Mane gets his shot away and when Ederson hits him he isn’t still in possession of the ball. Kane is attempting to go round the keeper, has control of the ball, and the keeper is judged to have prevented him from continuing his run and getting his attempt on goal.

Had Mane dinked the ball to the side and attempted to go round Ederson, then yes, penalty - but he didn’t.

No penalty for me, Clive.

And I don’t think you can say Ederson is deliberately catching Mane to stop him attacking the rebound. There is no way Ederson can even know there is a rebound, let alone process that thought quick enough.

Mascot88

Admin
Can you first check if we had that midfield against arsenal first?
I also said that this midfield work against small teams.
We were in finals before, big games against PSG, Roma , Napoli away and this. remind me what happened please?
Watch this space when that trio play together again in a big game.
We’re top of the league by four points, we’ve only lost one game, and we’ve made the third best start to a league campaign in the entire history of the English game, and you’re having a pop at Klopp?

With respect, get a grip. Actually forget the respect. Just get a grip.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
Not for me its not. Klopp bought him in for a reason and made sure he got his man even if he had to wait longer than was ideal. No concerns for me whatsoever.
My only concern about Naby is that apparently he still speaks almost no English, and this is hampering his adjustment and development into our system. No problems with his ability.

I am a bit worried that the lad had a year to learn a bit of basic English (not like footballers don’t have any free time) and didn’t bother. I’m a bit concerned what this says about the seriousness in which he has taken his move to LFC.

I’m sure he’ll be grand, but it is a cause for a bit of concern.

Mascot88

Admin
24 hours on and what strikes me is yet again we are left with a burning sense of injustice following a massive game against one of the big 6. The more I watch that 'tackle' the more fucking disgraceful it looks.

Can anyone actually remember the last time we came out of one of these games and thought we got away with something? It's a fucking one way street, one shite decision after another with the common denominator being they all go against us.

I'm genuinely worried we'll look back in May on the Kompany incident as having the same effect as the Eto'o non red card at Chelsea in 2013 which went a long way to costing us the title.
Not that long since Van Dijk got away with a red card tackle.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Not that long since Van Dijk got away with a red card tackle.
Whilst I'm not one for conspiracy theories or peddling any ideas about bias, that was in Europe and we have always tended to get a fair crack of the whip in Europe, if not slightly favourable. It was in the league in which we went 14 months without getting a penalty at Anfield despite numerous blatant fouls in the box.

C

Caradoc

My only concern about Naby is that apparently he still speaks almost no English, and this is hampering his adjustment and development into our system. No problems with his ability.

I am a bit worried that the lad had a year to learn a bit of basic English (not like footballers don’t have any free time) and didn’t bother. I’m a bit concerned what this says about the seriousness in which he has taken his move to LFC.

I’m sure he’ll be grand, but it is a cause for a bit of concern.

Klopp insists on all players learning English. Apparently its non-negotiable. If Keita doesn’t start taking that seriously he could go the same way as Sakho. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

Last edited by a moderator:

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
We’re top of the league by four points, we’ve only lost one game, and we’ve made the third best start to a league campaign in the entire history of the English game, and you’re having a pop at Klopp?

With respect, get a grip. Actually forget the respect. Just get a grip.
I am entitled to have an opinion, i did not and will not insult anybody. I said what i wanted with respect, something apparently you don't have, if you don't like my opinion ignore it unless it is against you personally. I don't worship managers, they are human, and with no respect to you. please don't respond to my posts until you learn some respect.

Red Eyes

Klopp insists on all players learning English. Apparently its non-negotiable. If Keita doesn’t start taking that seriously he could go the same way as Sakho. Hopefully it won’t come to that.
Blimey Caradoc, you seem to blow with the wind.......are you a ‘like’ hunter?

Only yesterday in two different comments you said

No concerns whatsoever about Naby. He’s just taking longer to adjust than was expected

Not for me its not. Klopp bought him in for a reason and made sure he got his man even if he had to wait longer than was ideal. No concerns for me whatsoever.

it sounds like you do have concerns after all?

Klopp has said all along that Naby was a long term project. Personally I think he will come good despite performing below expectations at the moment, but it may be next season that we see the best of him. It’s only 18 months since he had a serious circulatory collapse when at Leipzig, my guess is that it’s a mixture of ongoing confidence issues than physical (though niggely injuries haven’t helped).

I don’t think Naby will be a Morata type flop, but may need some nurturing before he blazes a trail for us

Libero

I've had a few days to digest this result, as soon as the full time whistle went I was off for the weekend down the Victorian coast.... which probably did me the world of good as I've managed to stay away from all things football for a couple of days... Although I got triggered by the bloke living above me (spurs fan) who texted me complaining about the noise and me waking him up... Fuck. Off.

As for the game I can't help but be disappointed with the result and how we played. This was probably our biggest game since the Champions League final and again and I feel like we didn't quite show up. It was mentioned by a fellow poster that we may let the occasion get the better of us and whilst I don't want to say bottled it, I don't think we applied ourselves as well as we could have. Every game over the last month was a big test and this one was the biggest and I'm just upset we couldn't show more of ourselves with everybody watching.

It was clear that City wanted it more, they pushed the boundaries with their aggression and we didn't match it. You can make arguments about the midfield but it was my preferred midfield before kick-off as well. I think now for these sort of games we can probably look to change it and play a more offensive trio.

Still 4 points clear and only the first loss of the season so hard to get too upset about it but unfortunately with all the adversity we have to face its a shame we couldn't take more out of the game and put another statement out to the rest of the league.

Important to bounce back and can't wait for our next game.

Flobs

FADA
I thought TAA and Lovren were targeted and it paid off for City.
You have got to be kidding. Sané is lined up on the left so City go to him. Sterling is on the right so City go to him as well. So was Robertson targetted?
Nah! it's just Robertson dealt with Sterling better then again Sané was better than Sterling this game.
City did look to keep Henderson out of the game which is interesting considering some comments.