• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Dave-D

Alisson and VVD where my two options for MoTM but VVD was his usually top drawer.

Wrong midfield complete lack of creativity. From the start you could see the midfield had an inferiority complex nothing going forward.

Citeh didn’t even play that well they just took their chances.

Oh well unbeaten season over but still top of the league which is all that matters, now the players need to pick up their heads and go on another run and keep Citeh at bay.

Citeh can’t take anymore points off Liverpool and still four points clear.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
. it's now how we react after this with our next couple of performances...

I'm not to bothered by it because we played great and City had to play their best game of the season by far to beat us... great match I'm sure for the neutrals …

TassieRed

TIA Regular
Deer in the headlights looks from most of our players was what worried me.

They were more composed than us and deserved to win. Still, losing at their joint 2-1 isn’t terrible. It is what it is.

Onwards and upwards!

wibseyred

Why oh why did we employ such a negative game plan in the first half. We never pressurised them at all letting them have so much possession. Shit game plan.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Disappointed. This game was up for grabs. We were very poor 2nd half.
Ref was absolutely useless.
Stop blaming Lovren. He had a bad game, but so did milner, TAA, Robbo and bobbbbbby baring his goal.
We need to respond now. Come on reds. Let's go again.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
First half was dire to watch after a good 10 minutes stint that saw the ref failed to give them a red card and us a penalty for that Ederson tackle on Mane's shot. After that we were quite shit. Someone told me Wijnaldum shielding the ball better, and I don't know what was it for. To then pass the ball back to City players. Our midfield of this three should stop to exist. I know I wanted a more defensive midfield, but this isn't a more defensive one, but lack of direction ones. Fabinho would have suited better and it shows in the second half.

We tried, we seemed to have a bit of complex in our game. We seemed to be a bit afraid of them, showing them too much respect. That's not the players alone, but the manager too. Playing 4-3-3 didn't help us at all and second half after Fabinho came on we made more grounds on them. Now Fabinho not only able to shield @jabu, but able to take the ball up and find a pass. Something Wijnladum failed to do.

We need to stop this, this has to be an exception to our run. We have to win the next league match. Forget Wolves FA Cup tie. Just focus on our next 17 matches and win them all. Cannot afford to take our foot off the gas at all in this league run. Unlucky, lack of effort by the midfield in the first half and needed more clinical finishing from our side.

mikodelniko13

The most important lesson from today us that once Joe Gomez is fit Loren should go to the bench.
Otherwise we bought kieta to be able match city in the midfield not just to try and nick a ball from them and it's disappointing that he can't get into the team
Still 4 points heads up .

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Can’t wait for Joe Gomez to come back. Lovren was dreadful tonight, and was ultimately most culpable for the two goals.

It’s a shame we couldn’t go ten clear, but that was the most difficult game we’ll play this year. On we go.

Barry O'Connor

We played like we did earlier in the season. Looking stagnant and lacking ideas. We got through earlier in the season against lesser teams. Normal service will be resumed next week. And as bad as we played we still could have snatched a draw.

wibseyred

I think we played to draw, far too conservative and ultimately you don’t deserve anything by that mentality. Seemed to seep into the players and we were just not at the races in the biggest game of the season.

A night to forget for a few, Lovren right up there. Once he makes a mistake he should be hooked as his head went on about 10 minutes.

Mane needs to rediscover his form also, carrying him at the moment.

Hopefully the last we see of Henderson, Milner and Gini as a midfield three again away from home. Nothing offered once again. Milner clearly not fit and showing his 33 years.

Still 4 points clear and a run of winnable games. Onwards.
We played not to get and beaten and in the pre match thread I said if we do this we would lose. If your slagging Mane tonight you label same at Salah offered nothing at all.

Magnus

Best football game I have seen all season. Bloody spectacular. Both teams amazing but City a bit better tonight unfortunately, unleashing an insane tempo, making us make mistakes. Some of the criticism I have read here in the match thread has been bloody disgraceful and 100% irrational. Accept that City is an amazing team and that it was their night. We did out best and played well, but tonight it was not to be.

Red Ted

We were unlucky to lose that.

It's not the end of the world but it's just so fucking typical that we don't take the opportunity to do it the easy way.

Can't wait for Gomez to be back, or even Matip, that was a shit show from Lovren, slow, loose & so many bad decisions, nowhere near good enough from him.

C

Caradoc

Klopp - got too many things wrong today particularly formation and midfield selection.

Players - not hungry enough, far too complacent in effort, focus and execution for much of the game.

Lovren - useless twat! :rolleyes: lol

We got what we deserved! So did City!

Still never mind eh ......... ? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger ......

Last edited by a moderator:

big noyd

sane was the only one who really troubled us. they exploited our weakest link, and it's not trent

allstate's Total Loss Adjuster finally called me on behalf of the young woman who cruised through a stop sign and totaled my car two months ago at 25:00 and i couldn't get the fucking guy off the phone until about 30 seconds before aguero scored

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
The game is decided by small margins. 11 mm and the ball was over the line. Another day Liverpool would not had two cleared off the line.

Unfortunately we have Lovren who is a fucking liability at times. When something goes wrong he has the mental fortitude of a lemming. Whilst you have players who had poor games (Henderson and Wijnaldum far too many square or backward balls) Lovren panics. It does not matter where he is on the pitch.

In a game of small margins, he is a handicap. The title race really is in the balance. Despite 4 point lead there is no favorites. Good news for us is that Gomez is nearly fit again for the run in.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
They deserved the win. Better team tonite. Better defensively better attack and far superior midfield. Still 4 points clear and need to bounce straight back. But that midfield 3 should never start for us again as a trio and the quicker Gomez is back the better.
better team? they didn't look like the better team to me. both teams played great.. they were better today because they won but I wouldn't say they deserved it more than us. both teams deserved to win

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
On a side note, really impressed with TAA tonight. Showed great determination and positivity when we went behind then it was his pass which setup the goal. Heard some pundits talking about how he could play a Gerrard role as he gets older the other day. Tonight for a few minutes I could totally see that.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Lovren has to fuck off. The cause of both goals and caused about six counter attacks and or big chances. Henderson has to go as well. Both look decent against poor opposition, both are found out against the top teams.
Wow. Some of you guys are unbelievable.
Look at the bright side, we are done with arsenal and city. City will have to face rivals and there is the chance to pull away.

Coddite84

Perspective must be retained. We have lost 1 match against our tooughest test. I cant see many other teams having as much of the ball against us. We do need to strengthen in the window and I have said all along that Fekir is the key signing that can push us on. Klopp needs to learn from this game that he needs to have faith in our attack. When we attacked we looked dangerous but we didnt attack enough. He should have started Fabinho and Shaq and went for it.

macca1970

Well, that game could've gone either way. Small margins.

We need to use this as motivation to go on another run. It's tight again at the top, especially with Spurs clsoing in as well. Just a shame we couldn't keep it to a draw, after the excellent team move for the equaliser.

Aguero - tired to cheat to fall for a penalty, and got lucky the ball ended up at his feet with Dejan faffing about.