• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Flobs

FADA
I thought TAA and Lovren were targeted and it paid off for City.
You have got to be kidding. Sané is lined up on the left so City go to him. Sterling is on the right so City go to him as well. So was Robertson targetted?
Nah! it's just Robertson dealt with Sterling better then again Sané was better than Sterling this game.
City did look to keep Henderson out of the game which is interesting considering some comments.

Flobs

FADA
For me, what was soooo dissapointing was that we did not play to our full potential. If we did, and still lost, we will be more than happy. However, I see absolutely no reason for any personnel changes. We got to where we are with them.
Yes, we looked nervy and it affected our game. Even if City were nervy it affected their game less they also appeared better prepared for this match. Yhough I must repeat that I think the pitch had a lot to do with it. The pitch cut up easily and was heavy. You could see the boot prints left by the players. City's tactics were better suited to that than ours. They passed quite long and firmly to their wingers whilst covered our full backs reasonably well.
Not much tactical analysis on this thread which is strange concidering how City played.

FGred

Only in the world of conspiracy theorist fans would a ref support both Man City and Man United.
It is very possible for manure to wish for shitty to beat us I heard Gary Neville say he would rather shitty win the league than us they will go to any lengths to stop us winning anything

FGred

It does my head when he opens his gob!! Also avoid social media during the busy periods of the season.
The number of times I have complained about that on this forum and yet the club won’t stop him opening his gob at every opportunity

C

Caradoc

For me, what was soooo dissapointing was that we did not play to our full potential. If we did, and still lost, we will be more than happy. However, I see absolutely no reason for any personnel changes. We got to where we are with them.
Yes, we looked nervy and it affected our game. Even if City were nervy it affected their game less they also appeared better prepared for this match. Yhough I must repeat that I think the pitch had a lot to do with it. The pitch cut up easily and was heavy. You could see the boot prints left by the players. City's tactics were better suited to that than ours. They passed quite long and firmly to their wingers whilst covered our full backs reasonably well.
Not much tactical analysis on this thread which is strange concidering how City played.

Our passing and interplay was tentative and inaccurate, particularly during the first half. It cost us a number of turnovers of possession. You just can’t do that and expect to get away with it against a side of City’s quality. City by contrast were sharp, decisive and accurate. We played large chunks of the game under pressure and were as responsible for that as City were.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaffod

Do they?

If you really think we’re hated amongst football fans, maybe it’s because they perceive some of our number have a fucking massive chip on their shoulder, spend most of their time cry-arsing about everyone being out to get us, and can’t lose a game of football without it all being down to corruption and conspiracy. Wonder where they are getting that idea?
Ha ha what horseshit.

I didn't post on the internet in the '70's and '80's (maybe you did) but I'm pretty sure the mind-set we witness these days was pretty much entrenched back then. Maybe they all read the letters I sent into the Pink Echo on a regular basis berating Thomas, Milford and Pat fucking Partridge, or bemoaning the fact Ipswich and QPR had been taken over by human rights abusing, oil-rich Russian oligarchs. Or maybe they didn't, and the animosity has just been there for decades, long before we all started losing sleep because someone was wrong on the internet.
And spare me the chip on the shoulder garbage. Call me paranoid, a nutjob, deluded or any number of things and I'll say you're entitled to hold that opinion. I might be many things but I can assure you I'm not fucking stupid, I've been around long enough and had enough life experiences to form my own opinions on how my city and it's people are perceived by vast swathes of the great British population and I find that term deeply fucking offensive in that context. I find it quite ironic you use a phrase like that at a time when some members of the press are at last calling out the mindless dickheads who sing their fucking inane songs at us on a regular basis.

FGred

Spot on Jaffod. If he sends Kompany off and City go onto lose then what would have been the consequences for him? Considering he lives in the area, it must have played on his mind. An utterly absurd and disgraceful decision to appoint him in a game of such magnitude.
I got shouted down when I complained about his appointment before the game and it is not the first time this has happened to us even Hackett said it was unfair to Taylor to appoint him for this game

C

Caradoc

I got shouted down when I complained about his appointment before the game and it is not the first time this has happened to us even Hackett said it was unfair to Taylor to appoint him for this game

It was more than unfair ...... it was stupid and irresponsible!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Ha ha what horseshit.

I didn't post on the internet in the '70's and '80's (maybe you did) but I'm pretty sure the mind-set we witness these days was pretty much entrenched back then. Maybe they all read the letters I sent into the Pink Echo on a regular basis berating Thomas, Milford and Pat fucking Partridge, or bemoaning the fact Ipswich and QPR had been taken over by human rights abusing, oil-rich Russian oligarchs. Or maybe they didn't, and the animosity has just been there for decades, long before we all started losing sleep because someone was wrong on the internet.
And spare me the chip on the shoulder garbage. Call me paranoid, a nutjob, deluded or any number of things and I'll say you're entitled to hold that opinion. I might be many things but I can assure you I'm not fucking stupid, I've been around long enough and had enough life experiences to form my own opinions on how my city and it's people are perceived by vast swathes of the great British population and I find that term deeply fucking offensive in that context. I find it quite ironic you use a phrase like that at a time when some members of the press are at last calling out the mindless dickheads who sing their fucking inane songs at us on a regular basis.
We lost a game of football. If you want to turn it into a cultural war, that’s your business. Don’t do it here. You sit on a high horse, where you complain about the animosity directed at our team, and yet you’ve been warned repeatedly for wishing for other human beings to suffer career ending injuries. You’ve no right to complain about anything said by any other fan when you are equally part of the toxicity that fuels 21st century football. You’re equally part of the problem as anyone who’s ever sang a disgusting chant.

Last warning.

Mascot88

Admin
I am entitled to have an opinion, i did not and will not insult anybody. I said what i wanted with respect, something apparently you don't have, if you don't like my opinion ignore it unless it is against you personally. I don't worship managers, they are human, and with no respect to you. please don't respond to my posts until you learn some respect.
You turn up on an LFC forum and start saying the manager who has just delivered the club the third best start to a season in league history is never going to win anything, you should expect all the derision and mockery that hits you.

You are entitled to you opinion, and everyone else is entitled to tell you that it’s bullshit.

Flobs

FADA
Or he could just be extremely disappointed with his performance (although I don’t see why he should be) and for ending up being hooked?

Mane, apparently, has low confidence in his own ability. He doesn’t realise how good he really is. That’s not me saying it, this comes from Klopp himself.

The answer, as you mention, is for supporters to show the lad some love. He’s going nowhere!
Or people could just stop making things up. I didn't see anything in Mané's attitude against City.
Why do people try to find problems where there aren't any.

Flobs

FADA
How did kompany get away with this?

Both feet off the ground, out of control, studs up, contact made - straight red.
Looks like a deliberate 'attentat' from that but then the ball is at Salah's feet.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
You turn up on an LFC forum and start saying the manager who has just delivered the club the third best start to a season in league history is never going to win anything, you should expect all the derision and mockery that hits you.

You are entitled to you opinion, and everyone else is entitled to tell you that it’s bullshit.
Ok. Fair enough I guess everybody knows the future here. We will wait and see what we are going to win.

jaffod

We lost a game of football. If you want to turn it into a cultural war, that’s your business. Don’t do it here. You sit on a high horse, where you complain about the animosity directed at our team, and yet you’ve been warned repeatedly for wishing for other human beings to suffer career ending injuries. You’ve no right to complain about anything said by any other fan when you are equally part of the toxicity that fuels 21st century football. You’re equally part of the problem as anyone who’s ever sang a disgusting chant.

Last warning.
You're right, I have wished harm on certain players, but only on players who have attempted to or have inflicted harm on one of ours. An eye for an eye so to speak.
I'm not sure what I've done to deserve being called a murderer, been told I've killed my own fans, stolen someone's stereo or told I look in bins for food.
Ban me for all I care, I just want to make that distinction.

Mascot88

Admin
Ok. Fair enough I guess everybody knows the future here. We will wait and see what we are going to win.
Or alternatively just enjoy the ride? Enjoy watching your team playing ridiculously good football. If there are pots at the end of it, then great.

Flobs

FADA
Maybe the language barrier is the biggest reason as to why he's taking his time to settle? Not understanding a word Jürgen is saying isn't going to help is it? I don't think there's any issue with his quality and ability.

Let's hope you're right and he starts to play his part on our way to CL and league double :J
Didn't he play in Germany?
He also knows Mané very well having been involved with some energetic fizzy drink.
I can not see communication being a major problem.

Mascot88

Admin
You're right, I have wished harm on certain players, but only on players who have attempted to or have inflicted harm on one of ours. An eye for an eye so to speak.
I'm not sure what I've done to deserve being called a murderer, been told I've killed my own fans, stolen someone's stereo or told I look in bins for food.
Ban me for all I care, I just want to make that distinction.
Ok.

What did the Fulham fans do to deserve being told they were mates with a peodophile, or have the death of their chairman’s son mocked (songs sung from the Liverpool end on both occasions I went to Craven Cottage)? I’ve a couple of Spurs supporting mates who swear Liverpool Fans have made hissing noises at them in their games. Why do they deserve that? And don’t tell me that you never heard Munich chants in the Liverpool end. What did the United fans do to deserve that?

This is the problem an eye for an eye. Everyone ends up blind.

The chants and songs you abhor (as we all do) are a symptom of the toxic tribalism present in football. It’s little to do with hating Liverpool FC or the city. It’s everything to do with football rivalries being corrupted out of all proportion, to the point where all taste, reason and self-control is completely absent.

Flobs

FADA
Klopp insists on all players learning English. Apparently its non-negotiable. If Keita doesn’t start taking that seriously he could go the same way as Sakho. Hopefully it won’t come to that.
Sakho speaks English and spoke English when Klopp came. He possible speaks English better than Klopp.
Just pointing out that the comparison is flawed. :J

Magnus

I don't think many, at least not many I have read on this forum (and I was a lurker for years before I joined) , knows the future or is certain of final victory and lifting the tropy at the end of the season. Even so, can you not see that you are being unreasonable when you say that this and that is shit etc. and that we will never win anything under Klopp when we lead the league by 4 points? Are you unable to appreciate the fact that Manchester City played in an ultra high tempo and that it made us make mistakes. On that night they were better than us, it happens when one football team plays at their top notch level. It is very rare that 2 football teams manage to both play at their most absolute best. And yet, we didn't even play a bad game, it was actually a good game, good enough to beat most teams in the league, just not good enough to beat City when they were like lightening all over the pitch. Sometimes you have to admit that opposition plays too well on the night. This was one such night. Imo, save your criticism for when we drop points to a lesser team. With a modicum of luck we would even have drawn against City, so it can't have been that abominable. To label Klopp a football idiot for failing to beat City is actually pretty daft.

C

Caradoc

Sakho speaks English and spoke English when Klopp came. He possible speaks English better than Klopp.
Just pointing out that the comparison is flawed. :J

I was referring to the general example of ‘not towing the Klopp line’ so whether or not Sakho spoke English at the time is irrelevant. As such the comparison isn’t flawed at all.

And we don’t even know whether language is in fact an issue or not for Keita or Klopp in this case. Other posters have suggested this possibility not me. And Mascot subsequently took it a stage further. Either way it will only become an issue if Klopp decides it is.

Yes, I’m still wide awake. ;-)

Flobs

FADA
I was referring to the general example of ‘not towing the Klopp line’ so whether or not Sakho spoke English at the time is irrelevant. As such the comparison isn’t flawed at all.

And we don’t even know whether language is in fact an issue or not for Keita or Klopp in this case. Other posters have suggested this possibility not me. And Mascot subsequently took it a stage further. Either way it will only become an issue if Klopp decides it is.

Yes, I’m still wide awake. ;-)
Had a interview on RMC with Keita. He is very happy at LFC and his mentor is Mané. I don't think there are any real problems with understanding his role. There might be some between specific players but these tend to sort themselves out with time.

Just for info.

I am also still wide awake. :)

Limiescouse

I have to disagree with that one.

The difference in those situations, other than Kane quite clearly playing for the Pen, is that Mane gets his shot away and when Ederson hits him he isn’t still in possession of the ball. Kane is attempting to go round the keeper, has control of the ball, and the keeper is judged to have prevented him from continuing his run and getting his attempt on goal.

Had Mane dinked the ball to the side and attempted to go round Ederson, then yes, penalty - but he didn’t.

No penalty for me, Clive.
You are literally defining a late challenge. Having got your shot or pass off before you are cleaned out by a late challenge is not a mitigation against it being a foul in the rules. It is only a mitigation in the unwritten rules of keepers that allows them to do whatever the fuck they want.

It is worth noting though that whether or not that went in ultimately came down to who got on the end of the rebound. Mane was unable to because he had been cleaned out late by the keeper.

jaffod

Ok.

What did the Fulham fans do to deserve being told they were mates with a peodophile, or have the death of their chairman’s son mocked (songs sung from the Liverpool end on both occasions I went to Craven Cottage)? I’ve a couple of Spurs supporting mates who swear Liverpool Fans have made hissing noises at them in their games. Why do they deserve that? And don’t tell me that you never heard Munich chants in the Liverpool end. What did the United fans do to deserve that?

This is the problem an eye for an eye. Everyone ends up blind.

The chants and songs you abhor (as we all do) are a symptom of the toxic tribalism present in football. It’s little to do with hating Liverpool FC or the city. It’s everything to do with football rivalries being corrupted out of all proportion, to the point where all taste, reason and self-control is completely absent.
I don't deny there are some absolute bellends among our support and I wish they'd fuck off and do something else. My son's mate is one example, after a coach trip to Wembley a couple of years ago I told my lad his mate was a fucking dickhead and I never wanted to spend another minute in his company such was the bile coming from him.
I suppose what rankles with me is the fact it is so dis-proportionate where LFC is concerned and I don't think anyone can dispute that. With one or two exceptions we get the same shite at every game and I don't think any other set of fans gets the same, ok there might be some rubbish going back and forth at other grounds but there's no way it's on the same level as we endure.
On the pitch it's the same old shite, every indiscretion by a Liverpool player is pored over by every man and his fucking dog, Salah gets a pen because he's erm...fouled in the box and yet he's slaughtered for it with idiots like Keys calling for retrospective bans, it's just fucking tiresome. Where's the outrage for Kompany's tackle, Kane's dive, Guardiola's outbursts? Nowhere to be seen.
With a handful of exceptions nobody wants this club to win the title, they'd rather a corrupt abomination won it and they couldn't care less about the vile owners and FFS abuse as long as those fucking scousers don't win it. You think it was bad in 2014? Wait until the end of this season if we don't win it after being 10 points clear of City at one stage, it'll go into overdrive and we'll be hearing about it for years to come, there's been plenty of teams who should have won the league but didn't and it's forgotten about by the start of the next season but that wont be the case with us I'll guarantee you.
Just a bit of balance is all I ask.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I don't deny there are some absolute bellends among our support and I wish they'd fuck off and do something else. My son's mate is one example, after a coach trip to Wembley a couple of years ago I told my lad his mate was a fucking dickhead and I never wanted to spend another minute in his company such was the bile coming from him.
I suppose what rankles with me is the fact it is so dis-proportionate where LFC is concerned and I don't think anyone can dispute that. With one or two exceptions we get the same shite at every game and I don't think any other set of fans gets the same, ok there might be some rubbish going back and forth at other grounds but there's no way it's on the same level as we endure.
On the pitch it's the same old shite, every indiscretion by a Liverpool player is pored over by every man and his fucking dog, Salah gets a pen because he's erm...fouled in the box and yet he's slaughtered for it with idiots like Keys calling for retrospective bans, it's just fucking tiresome. Where's the outrage for Kompany's tackle, Kane's dive, Guardiola's outbursts? Nowhere to be seen.
With a handful of exceptions nobody wants this club to win the title, they'd rather a corrupt abomination won it and they couldn't care less about the vile owners and FFS abuse as long as those fucking scousers don't win it. You think it was bad in 2014? Wait until the end of this season if we don't win it after being 10 points clear of City at one stage, it'll go into overdrive and we'll be hearing about it for years to come, there's been plenty of teams who should have won the league but didn't and it's forgotten about by the start of the next season but that wont be the case with us I'll guarantee you.

Yeah I kinda have to agree even in this million miles away part of the world.....at my local club, it’s as though they want anyone but LFC to win it......some guys acknowledge the football we play.

There’s probably 2 arrogant rub your face in it LFC. Supporters at our club, and one of them isn’t really that bad ( one of my best mates, but doesn’t mind a bit of ribbing) the other is a nutter.

Conversely we’ve got a couple of citeh boys who are really enjoying the ride...and one who’s the most obnoxious supporter in the local area ....at least he was there in the divvy 2 days though- flew over for there promotion from the second division way back when.....

But yeah, back to my point.....most neutrals don’t want us to win.....most still don’t really ‘get’ Hillsborough.....

Had a debate with one rangers fan at a pub a while back that Rodgers was superior to Klopp, back when the stats were suggesting they were running on a par.....

Ridiculous.

I see it. Even 20000 k away, there’s a complete misunderstanding of this club, to the point of resentment.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s simply a jealousy thing out here, I mean, we still outnumber them here anecdotally despite not winning the thing for over a generation.

It’s a social phenomenon.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
This is spot on. The amount of vile chants directed at us is ridiculous and almost the entire League and the FA conspire against us and would rather have any one else than us win anything.
Staying half a world apart, I have seen how vile and shit rival fans spew in this part of the world. I can only imagine how bad it must be for our fans actually travelling away.
I agree that , eye for an eye has to be there when you are at the receiving end of vile shit.
It's the only language thugs, trolls and vile bastards understand.
In all fan bases 2-3% are pure knobheads, more fucking animal than human being.
Offlate the hatred Against is our club if fucking unreal.
Too be soft and ignorant won't do anything, rather you will be at the receiving end of shit week in week out.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Respect your views mate. Just that, the way some fans vent it out is not the Liverpool way. Lovren may not be that good, but I am sure deep down, he is as passionate as us, and tries his best in his own way.
He comes across far more passionate and dedicAted than 90% of our fanbase. For that he'll always have my respect. I would love nothing more than for him to have a title winning medal hung around his neck.