POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
He comes across far more passionate and dedicAted than 90% of our fanbase. For that he'll always have my respect. I would love nothing more than for him to have a title winning medal hung around his neck.
Well said, this is the only thing I see.
He gives his best every time he's on the pitch, and as a fan you can't ask more than that.
Just look at the difference in attitude between him and markovic.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Needed a few days to get over the disappointment to lose that particular game. Speaking purely logically, we WEREN'T out-played as many of our fans go on saying. Playing City away is tough, and given all their 'apparent superiority', they didn't create any decent chance until late in the game when we were seeking the second equalizer (Aguero and B. Silva late on).

Aguero's and Sane's goals are hardly considered clear chances, but brilliant world class skill from world class players exploiting individual errors from a particular # 6. These chances had a xG of 0.06 and 0.05. Our goal was much more brilliant with a clear cut chance at the end, while Mane's almost goal-11mm was very harsh and unlucky. See more details of xG of the match here.

Our defence and midfield were successful in preventing City to any meaningful chances. City kept on trying to penetrate the channels between the FBs and CBs, but did so without any danger whatsoever. Point is, we were unlucky to lose, and Klopp being destroyed tactically by the 'Footballing-God' Guardiola (as many of our own fans point out too) is all bullshit. Bottom line, I though we nullified their strengths, failed to take our chances, and they punished us for playing Lovren at CB. Are we doomed? Most probably not.

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Not sure if this has been posted before but.. If you watch our goal again, it is a fucking unbelievable team goal, it shows exactly the level we are playing at (whilst I appreciate only in bursts sometimes). We move City around like a chess board. It's the little things like Gini bursting to take Danilo with him to make the space for Robertston to arrive unmarked. Can watch it over and over.

Da Bulli

Yeah I kinda have to agree even in this million miles away part of the world.....at my local club, it’s as though they want anyone but LFC to win it......some guys acknowledge the football we play.

There’s probably 2 arrogant rub your face in it LFC. Supporters at our club, and one of them isn’t really that bad ( one of my best mates, but doesn’t mind a bit of ribbing) the other is a nutter.

Conversely we’ve got a couple of citeh boys who are really enjoying the ride...and one who’s the most obnoxious supporter in the local area ....at least he was there in the divvy 2 days though- flew over for there promotion from the second division way back when.....

But yeah, back to my point.....most neutrals don’t want us to win.....most still don’t really ‘get’ Hillsborough.....

Had a debate with one rangers fan at a pub a while back that Rodgers was superior to Klopp, back when the stats were suggesting they were running on a par.....

Ridiculous.

I see it. Even 20000 k away, there’s a complete misunderstanding of this club, to the point of resentment.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s simply a jealousy thing out here, I mean, we still outnumber them here anecdotally despite not winning the thing for over a generation.

It’s a social phenomenon.
Not validating your view but as I am in the same part of the world as you I would like to comment.
If you grew up in Australia in the 1970s and you watched your weekly dose of Match of the Day, which English club would you become a fan of?
Liverpool were so absolutely dominant in the 70s and 80s it was obvious that there were going to be generations of rival fans who would develop deep grudges that carry towards this day.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Yeah I kinda have to agree even in this million miles away part of the world.....at my local club, it’s as though they want anyone but LFC to win it......some guys acknowledge the football we play.

There’s probably 2 arrogant rub your face in it LFC. Supporters at our club, and one of them isn’t really that bad ( one of my best mates, but doesn’t mind a bit of ribbing) the other is a nutter.

Conversely we’ve got a couple of citeh boys who are really enjoying the ride...and one who’s the most obnoxious supporter in the local area ....at least he was there in the divvy 2 days though- flew over for there promotion from the second division way back when.....

But yeah, back to my point.....most neutrals don’t want us to win.....most still don’t really ‘get’ Hillsborough.....

Had a debate with one rangers fan at a pub a while back that Rodgers was superior to Klopp, back when the stats were suggesting they were running on a par.....

Ridiculous.

I see it. Even 20000 k away, there’s a complete misunderstanding of this club, to the point of resentment.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s simply a jealousy thing out here, I mean, we still outnumber them here anecdotally despite not winning the thing for over a generation.

It’s a social phenomenon.
I am from Egypt, and I (and the official supporters club here) suffer from that. Even with Salah, and the great performances, placing more limelight on LFC in Egypt, most of the people here speak of LFC as a more of an unknown quantity. They even go so far asserting that Man City and Chelsea are *cough* bigger *cough* teams than Liverpool. Only older Arsenal and LFC supporters like myself know the truth. The level of ignorance gets very annoying.

I think it is the newer generation that doesn't know anything about football except the late SAF's Man U, Pep's Barca and Real with Ronaldo. They have grown up thinking of Liverpool as a glorious version of Stoke and a team living in the past. These same people are the ones who make the most noise on Twitter and social media. So it is obvious they are the ones that hate us since we always called them plastics and no history and stuff. When they threated by a strong LFC team that reached 3 finals in 3 seasons with a strong title challenge, they feel their winning "How many PL you got?" and "When did you last win a trophy?" cards will be lost. They will be faced with a massive club, returning to its place at the expense of their clubs, with both present and history. Something they don't have.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I am from Egypt, and I (and the official supporters club here) suffer from that. Even with Salah, and the great performances, placing more limelight on LFC in Egypt, most of the people here speak of LFC as a more of an unknown quantity. They even go so far asserting that Man City and Chelsea are *cough* bigger *cough* teams than Liverpool. Only older Arsenal and LFC supporters like myself know the truth. The level of ignorance gets very annoying.

I think it is the newer generation that doesn't know anything about football except the late SAF's Man U, Pep's Barca and Real with Ronaldo. They have grown up thinking of Liverpool as a glorious version of Stoke and a team living in the past. These same people are the ones who make the most noise on Twitter and social media. So it is obvious they are the ones that hate us since we always called them plastics and no history and stuff. When they threated by a strong LFC team that reached 3 finals in 3 seasons with a strong title challenge, they feel their winning "How many PL you got?" and "When did you last win a trophy?" cards will be lost. They will be faced with a massive club, returning to its place at the expense of their clubs, with both present and history. Something they don't have.
I think you are mostly correct in this, and it just adds to the theory that SKY and Murdoch media invented football, after Liverpool's glory years. Hence the airbrushing of the Liverpool history out of the game. The victims tag is perpetuated by the media, as one of the tabloid cornerstones was pulverized correctly by the city and supporters. SKY recognised the upward rise of Rafa, and the subsequent rise of Rodgers as mere flies in the ointment, to be brushed aside when the big boys started their run in to titles. Liverpool were/are seen as Keegans Newcastle, a sad side story to keep fans entertained, but not as serious challengers to SKY Prem.
Suarez became demonised by Fergie/SKY when he "dived". He was one of the best players to play in the league, but he wasn't Zola, or Ronaldo or Schmeichal, an acceptable foreigner. He was a biting diving racist cheat in their eyes, and barrelled out of the psyche of the Sunday afternoon fan by SKY and their vitriolic narrative. He was stupid in some of the things he did, but SKY reviled him and the Sunday fans had to as well.
Liverpool winning does not suit the current narrative. Arab money is better than Yankee dollars. Pep is measured and now because he threw a scarf in anger has brought some British passion. Klopp is a joke to them, all teeth and fuck all else.
They won't give credit, because they can't. History only goes back to when they invented football.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
And to underpin the points.
What manager is most mentioned in the media at present?
Klopp for unbeaten December?
Pep for turning losses into a tactical masterclass against the leaders?

No. Ole for bringing joy to the masses with 5 out of 5 wins. Possibly the best manager ever.
Wait for the honeymoon to end. Zidane will be mentioned again. Another SKY darling, managed the untouchable Madrid, where cheats like Ramos are exempt from drug tests, because UEFA are politically aligned to them.
I despair.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
I have to disagree with that one.

The difference in those situations, other than Kane quite clearly playing for the Pen, is that Mane gets his shot away and when Ederson hits him he isn’t still in possession of the ball. Kane is attempting to go round the keeper, has control of the ball, and the keeper is judged to have prevented him from continuing his run and getting his attempt on goal.

Had Mane dinked the ball to the side and attempted to go round Ederson, then yes, penalty - but he didn’t.

No penalty for me, Clive.

And I don’t think you can say Ederson is deliberately catching Mane to stop him attacking the rebound. There is no way Ederson can even know there is a rebound, let alone process that thought quick enough.
I disagree. Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct, says nothing about whether or not a player is in possession / has control of the ball, nor anything about the offending player's intent, when the offence happens:

"A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick."

Ederson slides out and fails to make any contact with the ball . Mané has to jump to avoid being clattered by Ederson; Mané appears to be clipped by Ederson's raised leg and is brought down. It's a trip and it should be penalised by a penalty kick.

Anyway, who's Clive?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I disagree. Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct, says nothing about whether or not a player is in possession / has control of the ball, nor anything about the offending player's intent, when the offence happens:

"A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick."

Ederson slides out and fails to make any contact with the ball . Mané has to jump to avoid being clattered by Ederson; Mané appears to be clipped by Ederson's raised leg and is brought down. It's a trip and it should be penalised by a penalty kick.
It comes down to opinion, and mine is that it’s isnt a penalty. If one of those was given against us we’d be fuming. The key for me is that the collision is more a coming together than a foul, and it happens after Sadio has got his shot off.

I can see how you can reach the conclusion you do, but I think you can use the laws of the game to reach any conclusion you like in any situation, really.

It was telling that it was never mentioned, by commentators, pundits, managers, player. Nobody appealed for a pen, and the crowd didn’t even seem arsed.

Anyway, who's Clive?
Not for me, Clive. Just a football pundit meme. Was it a Penalty, Jamie? Not for me, Clive.

dockers_strike

He bottled it because it was the biggest game of the season. A crunch showdown between the two favourites for the league (would have been even more important had City not fluffed their lines in recent weeks). He bottled it because refs are under incredible scrutiny to not to ‘ruin’ games with sendings off. They are instructed to manage the context of games rather than just apply the fucking rules. And this is what boils my piss more than anything else about officiating.

How many times do we see a referee praised for keeping his cards in his pocket, or not sending a player off (sensible refereeing there, just has a word and calms him down) when they should? No, the rules should not be selectively applied.

When Kompany slides into Salah like he does (reckless, off the ground, nowhere near the ball, and with excessive force) what’s going through Taylor’s mind is not ‘Like fuck do I support Altricham, go blues’, it’s ‘Shit. What the fuck do I do now? That’s a red, but I’ll get it the neck off Sky and the Premier League if I send him. I’ll show him a yellow, and do my best stern face when I tell him no more’.

And before Jaffod steams in, we got away with one a couple of weeks ago, against Everton (?) when Van Dijk went in too hard and nearly broke a lads ankle.
Not sure I agree with that summation, sure match commentators come out with that shit about keeping cards in their pocket but you also get them coming out with crap that I referred to in a post, namely Jon Champion saying 'That's the work of a cheat' about Suarez. Also in the context of Kompany's tackle, I havent heard one pundit say it was only a yellow or that it would have spoilt the game if Kompany had gone for it.

It's really strange Moss can instantly give Mane a red card for that early season game against city last year without recourse to 'spoiling' the game whereas a tackle intended to take Mo out results in a yello.

Not that long since Van Dijk got away with a red card tackle.
Well, I was at the derby and I dont remember van Dijk getting 'away with a red card tackle.' In fact, I dont remember it being a blood and thunder derby like in the past.

jaffod

Got home from work last night, SSN was on and within an hour or so I'd seen the Warnock interview 3 times, you know, the one where he calls Liverpool and Clyne classless because he didn't get a phone call. Nothing about the actual game where his shite team got beat by lower league opponents, just another gobshite with an axe to grind re. LFC.
Promises will be broken left right and centre over this transfer window, phone calls wont be made, u-turns will be made. Fuck all will be said unless there's a chance to throw shit at us. That's the reality.

Limiescouse

Not sure if this has been posted before but.. If you watch our goal again, it is a fucking unbelievable team goal, it shows exactly the level we are playing at (whilst I appreciate only in bursts sometimes). We move City around like a chess board. It's the little things like Gini bursting to take Danilo with him to make the space for Robertston to arrive unmarked. Can watch it over and over.

Th mvoe that ultimately led to Mane hitting the post was similar. We played some superb stuff that night.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
He bottled it because it was the biggest game of the season. A crunch showdown between the two favourites for the league (would have been even more important had City not fluffed their lines in recent weeks). He bottled it because refs are under incredible scrutiny to not to ‘ruin’ games with sendings off. They are instructed to manage the context of games rather than just apply the fucking rules. And this is what boils my piss more than anything else about officiating.

How many times do we see a referee praised for keeping his cards in his pocket, or not sending a player off (sensible refereeing there, just has a word and calms him down) when they should? No, the rules should not be selectively applied.

When Kompany slides into Salah like he does (reckless, off the ground, nowhere near the ball, and with excessive force) what’s going through Taylor’s mind is not ‘Like fuck do I support Altricham, go blues’, it’s ‘Shit. What the fuck do I do now? That’s a red, but I’ll get it the neck off Sky and the Premier League if I send him. I’ll show him a yellow, and do my best stern face when I tell him no more’.

And before Jaffod steams in, we got away with one a couple of weeks ago, against Everton (?) when Van Dijk went in too hard and nearly broke a lads ankle.
What gets me more is the allowance of a player like Fernandinho make about 3-4 snide fouls in the first 15 mins, he basically disrupts 3-4 attacks with these and stops the other team building momentum.. When the ref makes his "I've given you all a chance" moment watch Fernadinho he doesn't do another.

A foul is a foul, be it in the first minute or last. The fact he got away without a yellow but Gini got one for basically breathing near a City player was just a complete joke.

jaffod

What gets me more is the allowance of a player like Fernandinho make about 3-4 snide fouls in the first 15 mins, he basically disrupts 3-4 attacks with these and stops the other team building momentum.. When the ref makes his "I've given you all a chance" moment watch Fernadinho he doesn't do another.

A foul is a foul, be it in the first minute or last. The fact he got away without a yellow but Gini got one for basically breathing near a City player was just a complete joke.
Spot on. Was very little difference between what Gini did and what the Newcastle player did in the Salah penalty incident.

Gini got booked, Salah became public enemy number 1.

It's all fair though and I'm just fucking paranoid.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Spot on. Was very little difference between what Gini did and what the Newcastle player did in the Salah penalty incident.

Haha when you agree with me mate I wonder if UFO's have landed ;-)

C

Caradoc

It comes down to opinion, and mine is that it’s isnt a penalty. If one of those was given against us we’d be fuming. The key for me is that the collision is more a coming together than a foul, and it happens after Sadio has got his shot off.

I can see how you can reach the conclusion you do, but I think you can use the laws of the game to reach any conclusion you like in any situation, really.

It was telling that it was never mentioned, by commentators, pundits, managers, player. Nobody appealed for a pen, and the crowd didn’t even seem arsed.

Not for me, Clive. Just a football pundit meme. Was it a Penalty, Jamie? Not for me, Clive.

The only thing that overrides a ‘coming together’ is if you win the ball in a legal way. Ederson did neither. If you push the ball past a defender and are taken out its a penalty. The onus is on the person trying to win the ball which was Ederson. Therefore Ederson was responsible for the collision or ‘coming together’.

I respect your opinion, but as far as the rules are concerned it was a clear penalty! Sadio gained no advantage so it should have been brought back for the foul. I admit I overlooked it at the time because of the Salah follow up but the referee should have seen it and awarded the penalty kick as soon as the ball had been cleared from the immediate goal area.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular

I was surprised aswell when Gini was shown a yellow for basically give Sterling a shoulder-tackle, it just so happen that Sterling is a midget so their shoulders didn't connect so may looked a little criminal but that was not a foul imo, no way. Ref was a bit out of his mind that game. From Greater manchester too.

Limiescouse

The only thing that overrides a ‘coming together’ is if you win the ball in a legal way. Ederson did neither. If you push the ball past a defender and are taken out its a penalty. The onus is on the person trying to win the ball which was Ederson. Therefore Ederson was responsible for the collision or ‘coming together’.

I respect your opinion, but as far as the rules are concerned it was a clear penalty! Sadio gained no advantage so it should have been brought back for the foul. I admit I overlooked it at the time because of the Salah follow up but the referee should have seen it and awarded the penalty kick as soon as the ball had been cleared from the immediate goal area.
It is a foul. Rationally, there is no doubt about it at all that it is a foul. However, keepers doing that and not getting punished is just one of those blind spots the game collectively has and so it means it is NEVER called. And as Mascot said, the degree to which it is a blind spot is evidenced by the fact that no one appealed or complained.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular

I really want to agree with you, but as I see it when the striker gets his shot in, no pen, cause the goalie didn't rob him of his chance to score.

Goalies tend to get away with ruff up players in the box, especially in corner situations. it has to be really blatant before calls go against them. That's why many striker prefer to go past Goalies in one on ones. much more to gain, if he go past him there's a open goal if he gets hit it's a pen.

Mascot88

Admin
Not sure I agree with that summation, sure match commentators come out with that shit about keeping cards in their pocket but you also get them coming out with crap that I referred to in a post, namely Jon Champion saying 'That's the work of a cheat' about Suarez. Also in the context of Kompany's tackle, I havent heard one pundit say it was only a yellow or that it would have spoilt the game if Kompany had gone for it.
Yeah, but there is a weird puritanical attitude to the various forms of ‘cheating’ in the game. It’s always been the case that a ‘hard tackle’ is sen as commendable, and a ‘too hard tackle’ is seen an unfortunate rather than shithouse.

Diving on the other hand is not to be tolerated and anyone guilty of it will be immediately tarred and feathered, and driven from the game. Unless they are British, in which case they’re entitled to go down if the feel contact.

Never understood it this.

It's really strange Moss can instantly give Mane a red card for that early season game against city last year without recourse to 'spoiling' the game whereas a tackle intended to take Mo out results in a yello.
It’s completely understandable if you take into account that both are completely shit referees with a track record of bottling big decisions or playing to a mob.

Last season’s game at the Etihad wasn’t a top of the table clash though.

Well, I was at the derby and I dont remember van Dijk getting 'away with a red card tackle.' In fact, I dont remember it being a blood and thunder derby like in the past.
No, it was against Napoli. I was corrected earlier.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
I don't think many, at least not many I have read on this forum (and I was a lurker for years before I joined) , knows the future or is certain of final victory and lifting the tropy at the end of the season. Even so, can you not see that you are being unreasonable when you say that this and that is shit etc. and that we will never win anything under Klopp when we lead the league by 4 points? Are you unable to appreciate the fact that Manchester City played in an ultra high tempo and that it made us make mistakes. On that night they were better than us, it happens when one football team plays at their top notch level. It is very rare that 2 football teams manage to both play at their most absolute best. And yet, we didn't even play a bad game, it was actually a good game, good enough to beat most teams in the league, just not good enough to beat City when they were like lightening all over the pitch. Sometimes you have to admit that opposition plays too well on the night. This was one such night. Imo, save your criticism for when we drop points to a lesser team. With a modicum of luck we would even have drawn against City, so it can't have been that abominable. To label Klopp a football idiot for failing to beat City is actually pretty daft.
I didn't say he is an idiot or anything like that, my point was that he sticks with that midfield trio far to many times with bad results. I thought that we were at a position were we should go to city and play with arrogance and bravery of champions, we have the tools and it was the best chance to use them and fight for a better result. If we don't fight and be brave in big games we will never win anything, that was my point. They were shitting themselves before the game for goodness sake, and we go there with this tried and trusted midfield that never works? I am sure they had a laugh we they saw our very predictable and limited lineup. Sorry if i was so hurt by the result that i voiced a harsh opinion . I still think we wasted a very good chance of beating them with a better midfield selection. that's all
and to be honest, i don't care if we play dull football (we were playing on second gear for most of this season), and get results rather than playing beautiful attacking football and finish the season empty handed. I enjoyed a lot of rides before , now is the time to win the damn 19.

Mascot88

Admin
I didn't say he is an idiot or anything like that, my point was that he sticks with that midfield trio far to many times with bad results. I thought that we were at a position were we should go to city and play with arrogance and bravery of champions, we have the tools and it was the best chance to use them and fight for a better result. If we don't fight and be brave in big games we will never win anything, that was my point. They were shitting themselves before the game for goodness sake, and we go there with this tried and trusted midfield that never works? I am sure they had a laugh we they saw our very predictable and limited lineup. Sorry if i was so hurt by the result that i voiced a harsh opinion . I still think we wasted a very good chance of beating them with a better midfield selection. that's all
and to be honest, i don't care if we play dull football (we were playing on second gear for most of this season), and get results rather than playing beautiful attacking football and finish the season empty handed. I enjoyed a lot of rides before , now is the time to win the damn 19.
You’re talking like we got blown away. It was a 50/50 game. The toss of a coin. They were good but they were also lucky. There was little wrong with the performance. City just got the breaks.

We were always unlikely to go the season unbeaten, and if you think we’re going to get beat at some point, then the Etihad is the most likely place for that to happen.

To put it another way, they threw absolutely everything they had at that game, and while they won it they also needed plenty of luck. Taylor missing a blatant red card. 11mm off conceding first, and then spawning a 1000 -1 clearance, an opening goal that had a bit of fortune about it.

They look very, very beatable. I’d be more worried if I was a city fan than I am a Liverpool fan.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
You’re talking like we got blown away. It was a 50/50 game. The toss of a coin. They were good but they were also lucky. There was little wrong with the performance. City just got the breaks.

We were always unlikely to go the season unbeaten, and if you think we’re going to get beat at some point, then the Etihad is the most likely place for that to happen.

To put it another way, they threw absolutely everything they had at that game, and while they won it they also needed plenty of luck. Taylor missing a blatant red card. 11mm off conceding first, and then spawning a 1000 -1 clearance, an opening goal that had a bit of fortune about it.

They look very, very beatable. I’d be more worried if I was a city fan than I am a Liverpool fan.
I understand all that. But my thinking is we played at 90% strength. Imagine we went with Fab and Shack for Milner and Henderson. We will be at 95% strength. We have a better chance. Still it is an opinion. No one can tell what would have happened. When Fab came in, we looked a better team already.
Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. Sorry if I said something I shouldn't have.
Let's smack the rest of them and get that thing back home.

Last edited:

GermanRed

Just one corner in 90 minutes. Such a shame because I think Ederson is not the best keeper at defending corners.

Limiescouse

Person - the problem was the selection. We would have done better had we picked different players. Klopp was wrong

Also same person - you cannot tell me what would have happened had we gone my way. We'll never know.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Person - the problem was the selection. We would have done better had we picked different players. Klopp was wrong

Also same person - you cannot tell me what would have happened had we gone my way. We'll never know.
Dual personality syndrome.

Mascot88

Admin
I understand all that. But my thinking is we played at 90% strength. Imagine we went with Fab and Shack for Milner and Henderson. We will be at 95% strength. We have a better chance. Still it is an opinion. No one can tell what would have happened. When Fab came in, we looked a better team already.
Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. Sorry if I said something I shouldn't have.
Let's smack the rest of them and get that thing back home.
No worries.

I think we have to keep an awareness that whenever we post a I’d have done this type comment, we do so in the luxury that our thinking will never be tested.

On balance, I’d have played Fabinho on Thursday too. In fact, he’d be the first midfielder on the team sheet. But in the back of my mind, I’d be thinking about his tendency to start games unsurely, and how he’s made a few errors that have led to chances early on, before growing into games and finding his feet. Who is to say that he doesn’t play one of those suicide passes straight into Aguero’s path ten minutes in?

It’s all completely hypothetical, and ultimately the only team selection that gets tested is Klopp’s.

Noo Noo

yeah I'm pretty content that despite not really being at our best (because of the way City played) we were still only a hairs breadth away from them. Had the game been 10 minutes longer I think we would have got an equaliser, I was that confident that it was coming.

I can certainly understand why some people want to question the midfield selection. I think there are some perfectly valid questions there given Milners recent injury and Fabinho's recent form for example. But despite this we were a lick of paint away from getting something from the game.

The result is disappointing but the I'm perfectly at ease with our position and outlook going forward. We're in a good place

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Now that we have lost a game, we are back to being the victims of a conspiration by the FA, by the refs, the pundits, the country, the whole world... I didn't read anything like that during our late winning run, but now we are back to normal it seems.

And you wonder why fans from other teams think that Liverpool fans have a chip on their shoulder... :rolleyes:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Now that we have lost a game, we are back to being the victims of a conspiration by the FA, by the refs, the pundits, the country, the whole world... I didn't read anything like that during our late winning run, but now we are back to normal it seems.

And you wonder why fans from other teams think that Liverpool fans have a chip on their shoulder... :rolleyes:
You didn't read a lot of post of late have you.... I could always point out one person - @jaffod to tell you that you're wrong about your conclusion that nobody thinks the pundit, refs are against us (can't be the whole world and country, we all live in it too). I've been bitching about pundits wishing us to lose since the day we beat Spurs, all wishing us dropping points every single weekend.