• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Now that we have lost a game, we are back to being the victims of a conspiration by the FA, by the refs, the pundits, the country, the whole world... I didn't read anything like that during our late winning run, but now we are back to normal it seems.

And you wonder why fans from other teams think that Liverpool fans have a chip on their shoulder... :rolleyes:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Now that we have lost a game, we are back to being the victims of a conspiration by the FA, by the refs, the pundits, the country, the whole world... I didn't read anything like that during our late winning run, but now we are back to normal it seems.

And you wonder why fans from other teams think that Liverpool fans have a chip on their shoulder... :rolleyes:
You didn't read a lot of post of late have you.... I could always point out one person - @jaffod to tell you that you're wrong about your conclusion that nobody thinks the pundit, refs are against us (can't be the whole world and country, we all live in it too). I've been bitching about pundits wishing us to lose since the day we beat Spurs, all wishing us dropping points every single weekend.

sms1986

You didn't read a lot of post of late have you.... I could always point out one person - @jaffod to tell you that you're wrong about your conclusion that nobody thinks the pundit, refs are against us (can't be the whole world and country, we all live in it too). I've been bitching about pundits wishing us to lose since the day we beat Spurs, all wishing us dropping points every single weekend.
Why care about what the pundits think, though? They just say any old shit to get attention.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Why care about what the pundits think, though? They just say any old shit to get attention.
Someone pays a 'pundit' to say on live air during the buildup of the season's biggest game that Liverpool's weakness is at the left flank...

sms1986

Someone pays a 'pundit' to say on live air during the buildup of the season's biggest game that Liverpool's weakness is at the left flank...
Managers and their staff don't rely on pundits telling them things minutes before kick off, if they did then they would be very poor managers.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Managers and their staff don't rely on pundits telling them things minutes before kick off, if they did then they would be very poor managers.
Of course they don't. And neither should we. To be fair, I rarely hear a level-headed pundit saying some real analysis or opinions. They usually sound more like twitter fanboys.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We need to stop being so paranoid. No doubt all this ‘pundits wishing we’d lose’ stuff is just pundits looking for a story. The last unbeaten team in the country finally falling is certainly a story.

They did the same with City last year.

jaffod

Fwiw I think things have evened themselves out this season to a large extent but I'll qualify that by saying we are a much better team this season than in recent ones therefore we haven't been in as many positions where 'incompetent' referees have cost us points.
We have benefitted from a couple of marginal offside decisions and have had some go against us, Mane's at Arsenal being the only one that could have possibly affected the result.
All the penalties, both for and against, have been the correct decision imo.
The Henderson and Wan Bissaka red cards were both fair. However, I think there have been 3 clear reds not given against us, one for Brighton, one for West Ham (can't remember their names, might have been Balbuena for West Ham) and Kompany. Again, like Mane's disallowed goal at Arsenal, Kompany's non-red card could have affected the result to our detriment.
As to the City game last week I think you'll be hard pressed to find any posts in this thread where anyone mentions a conspiracy. In my opinion Taylor should never be allowed to referee a game involving either manc club and it was an act of gross stupidity to appoint him. That's not to say I think he was corrupt, he's generally done ok when he's reffed us in the past, but a game with that amount of importance given his place of birth and his present location (afaik) is bound to affect him. It puts an enormous amount of pressure on him and imo he fucked up on the only major decision he had to make. Only he can say why.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
When discussing Taylor’s suitability for the game, I had only considered that being based on who he supports. I hadn’t thought about his location (and by implication, his safety) being compromised. So I can accept that and understand the point.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Yeah, it is unfair on Taylor, and the FA are numpties to have appointed him for this game. We can certainly agree on that.

jaffod

Fucking hell, wish I knew how to post GIF's, I'd post that Larry David one where he pretends to faint...

kopend79

Im itching for us to play our next league game just to put this behind us, and to see our reaction.
If we're serious about being champions, we win the next five league games, maintain our advantage and pile pressure on city heading in to a busy period.

sms1986

Im itching for us to play our next league game just to put this behind us, and to see our reaction.
If we're serious about being champions, we win the next five league games, maintain our advantage and pile pressure on city heading in to a busy period.
We have Brighton, Palace, Leicester, West Ham and Bournemouth - some tougher than others but five wins wouldn't be out of the ordinary. I think we'll still be top by the time we play Bayern.