• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Not good enough on the night, I think we gave them far too much respect in the first half. I said before the game that TAA would have a problem against Sane and so it proved. Clyne would have been my preferred option tonight.
City obviously targeted Mane, kicked him off the park from the start and Taylor let them get away with it. He also bottled it with the Guardiola incident.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I didn't see that game as negatively as some, I thought we did well in a very very tough away fixture. City maybe pass it around better and they have massive quality they can call on from the bench but they are scared of this Liverpool side. Kompany could easily have seen red and Mane probably should have scored twice in the first half.
I thought Sane exploited the space behind TAA very well whereas Robertson handled Sterling much better. Mane did not give TAA enough support either.
Fabinho made a difference when he came on but Shaq never got into the game. If we had drawn or won that game to open up or maintain a 4 point gap we would be hopping around the place.
Klopps job is to make sure we win the next league game, don't let a blip become any more than that.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
sane was the only one who really troubled us. they exploited our weakest link, and it's not trent
to be fair.. I yelled at TAA more times today than any other player today.. he was great on the goal but he was not that good at times as well... I felt he was lackadaisicall at times it seems early on in the match and could of been better.. his passing but everyones passing at times was not that great at times early

phil smith

Very poor tonight and saying that we didn't get any luck either. The right side of our defence were poor and always looked like something would come from there. Hope Jurgen knows now that that is not the midfield when playing the big boys. A marked improvement when Fabinho came on. Don't think anyone deserves MOM tonight as we didn't really turn up.

Red Ted

I think we played to draw, far too conservative and ultimately you don’t deserve anything by that mentality. Seemed to seep into the players and we were just not at the races in the biggest game of the season.

A night to forget for a few, Lovren right up there. Once he makes a mistake he should be hooked as his head went on about 10 minutes.

Mane needs to rediscover his form also, carrying him at the moment.

Hopefully the last we see of Henderson, Milner and Gini as a midfield three again away from home. Nothing offered once again. Milner clearly not fit and showing his 33 years.

Still 4 points clear and a run of winnable games. Onwards.
Agreed.

The team line up had playing for a draw written all over it & maybe nicking it with a bit of individual skill from one of the front 3.

It was a free hit of a game really with a massive prize at the end of it & we went conservative.

We need more from the midfield in games like this, it's still an area that we can improve massively, Fabinho definitely helps to do that.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Klopp had it all wrong in midfield. To pull Milner in the 56th minute, he should've never started. Henderson - nothing but yelling at his teammates. Ran his mouth more than his feet. And someone pointed it out earlier, Gini is a different player when he plays with Hendo.

And message to insufferable superfans: these are mere observations, not negative blanket statements about my boys. So spare me the finger wagging horseshit or unnecessary cutesy statements about proper support. We are allowed to be disappointed in this moment.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Anyone having a go at Lovren is stupid.
He has been a good when called upon. Don't forget how critical he was when matip and Gomez got injured.
Okay to be disappointed, but the reaction which everyone is giving is unbelievable.

Noo Noo

To be fair I thought City basically gegenpressed us which put our midfield on the back foot and ultimately showed their lack of real quality when under pressure. It also exposed Lovren and TAA a bit.

Robertson was my MoM. Did some excellent work against Sterling, still tried to get forward and has an assist for our goal

kwala

TIA Regular
Great game, could have gone either way, a draw would have been a fair result. Fine margins decide games like that, and it fell their way. At 1-1 we were well on top, but we gave the ball away and it led to the counter they scored from. Just needed to play keep ball at that point. So many of their players were fucked in the last 10 minds, they gave everything.

Still 4 points ahead, now we need to make sure we start collecting 3 points again week in week out. They need to drop points again before us, or this will get too tense!

We really need a bit of streetwise shithousery in our game. Take the sting and flow out of the game at 1-1 and we would have seen it out.

Werder4life

City played it like a shithouse side for the last 30 minutes - can't believe they got away with those anklebreakers. Kompany evaded a red. Silva should have been booked far earlier. But otherwise they certainly worked for it this time - with every trick in the book no less.
All in all they were lucky bastards for the goals they didn't concede with those lineblockers.
Lovren and Trent played to many daft / shitty long balls - made our right side weak as shit. Thumbs up for Trent's cross to Robbo though...
Virgil brilliant - Dejan a bit out of depth this time. Slim margins in that encounter.
In hindsight I'd liked to have Fab on sooner , preferably in the starting lineup - he showed a fair bit of composure.

After all no big setback - the invincible chatter over and the press kissing City's butts again - could be worse.

Andy Motm for the volleycross that made Bobby's goal.

Cologne-Liverpool

Yeah, they were more active but this was still a tight game that could have gone either way at various points. Sloppy passing killed off large parts for us, especially in those situations where we had played over their pressing and there were promising runs.
Still think injuries or better lack thereof of key players might ultimatley decide the outcome of this season for us.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
Second best by far in the first half, greatly improved when Fab came on. Unlucky not to get a couple more but then so were City. Overall can't be too despondent, at least our GD is better than the same game last year!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I’m not generally one for picking on Hendo, but he really pissed me off tonight.

If his job is to be the metronome and just pop it off and keep the ball moving, then fine. But is there a reason why he spend most of his time demanding the ball, and then playing a safe pass. Call me old fashioned, but if I’m on the pitch and a lad is shouting ‘give me the ball’ he’d better have fucking spotted something.

There was one in the first half where he runs to Van Dijk with his arms out, asking for the call, which Virg gives him. And Hendo just gives him it straight back.

WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT?

mmeck_lfc

Lovren allowed at least 5 supreme goal-scoring chances. Terrible line on the second goal, fell asleep on the first. Outbodied by little Aguero regularly on deep balls from Ederson. He's not good enough unfortunately. Don't like to harp on one player, but we need a replacement or Gomez back as soon as possible. Maybe he's tired, but to have the worst performance of the year by any of our players in this match was a disaster.

Other complaints:

Mane wasteful again
Salah needs to get rid of the ball quicker when he's going through hold up play
Milner looked slow - would prefer not starting him against the best squads in Europe. He's a great serviceable leader.
Fucking 1.2 centimeters!!!!

Positives:

lots of chances created
fullback to fullback to goal was amazing. one of the best goals of the year
Alisson is class. was very close to getting a hand on aguero's goal. thought his positioning on sane's was solid as well... just a superb finish by a superb player.
VVD always

jaffod

Apart from a 15 minute spell before our goal we didn't look like scoring.

We payed them too much respect and it cost us.

The Manc referee had one big call to make and bottled it despite having a clear view.

We're 4 points clear and have lost no ground over Christmas.

We need to spew the FA cup, fuck Brighton and win the fucking thing.

dockers_strike

Well I think Jurgen got the tactics and midfield wrong tonight. Id rather we played the team and formation we did against arsenal and if we'd run out of gas tonight, so be it.

We looked on the back foot all the first half. I know milner is a great stalwart but that doesnt mean he should come straight back into the team after being out injured. It's no co incidence imho that we looked a lot better after he'd gone off and Fabinho came in. At the end of the day, the thickness of the goal post paint made the difference when the ball struck the post for us and came out while for sane it took a bounce off one, hit the other and went over the line.

We just could not keep hold of the ball tonight and once again Milner, Gini and Mane gave it away far too easily. No surprise to me when Mane came off because he just didnt look up for this game at all. Seemed to think he had all the time in the world even when it was clear city were going to be snapping at our heels.

Ive said it before and at pain of repeating myself, what is this throw in coach doing? Is he just teaching the players how to throw the ball further or what? You know something's wrong when trent is throwing the ball to Mo when that big gammut Laporte is stood next to him.

I also sound like a broken record regarding that twat of a ref taylor. How did that silva get to 88 minutes without being carded? And Im sorry, I may be biased but that's a red card all day for kompany jumping in both feet off the ground. He then books ederson for time wasting in the last 2 minutes then adds sweet fa when their ball boys fannies around giving Trent the ball.

Just wasnt our night tonight and the annoying thing is, it could have been so much different.

Brighton away should be 3 points but it's now a test of how resilient the boys are because they failed here tonight. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.

Barry O'Connor

better team? they didn't look like the better team to me. both teams played great.. they were better today because they won but I wouldn't say they deserved it more than us. both teams deserved to win
Have to disagree with you I think on the night they were the better team. Their midfield dominated ours for most of the game and Pep made good substitutions when needed. We had very little control of the ball everything was rushed and long punts up the field. Still not the end of the world. 4 points clear and everything in our own hands.