• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

RedForever2014

They should have been down to 10 men, but our team selection was poor and we were poor.

Fabinho changed it a bit, but the forward changes offered nothing.

We miss Gomez, but it was lost in midfield.

We need to move on.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Also........Fabinho has to start now..........Milner is done in these high octane games, he just doesn't have the legs for it
That’s a bit unfair. He’s been terrific and just came back from injury. The right Attitude will be required if we are to lift our heads and win the next one. He has that in abundance

sms1986

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was a big pressure. Very intense game. We were unlucky in our finishing moments. Unluckier than City I would say. Sane scores and the situation with Sadio when he hit the post. They had periods where they dominated the game and everybody felt the intensity. But we came back and had big chances. It is always like this. You have to score in those moments. When Aguero scores there is no angle. In similar situations we didn't score.

"It was not our or City's best game because we both made it difficult for the other team. I have already said to the boys this is OK. We lost it but it will happen. Tonight it is not nice but it is not the biggest problem.

"I really like Vincent Kompany but how on Earth is that not a red card? He is last man and he goes in. If he hits Mo [Salah] more he is out for the season. It is not easy for the ref and he may not see it how I see it.

"Our expectations are high. We can play better. On the other side it was an intense game. You have to take the game how it is. You can't always dominate it. With a bit more luck we could have got 2-2, which would be perfect for us."

mmeck_lfc

Well I think Jurgen got the tactics and midfield wrong tonight. Id rather we played the team and formation we did against arsenal and if we'd run out of gas tonight, so be it.

We looked on the back foot all the first half. I know milner is a great stalwart but that doesnt mean he should come straight back into the team after being out injured. It's no co incidence imho that we looked a lot better after he'd gone off and Fabinho came in. At the end of the day, the thickness of the goal post paint made the difference when the ball struck the post for us and came out while for sane it took a bounce off one, hit the other and went over the line.

We just could not keep hold of the ball tonight and once again Milner, Gini and Mane gave it away far too easily. No surprise to me when Mane came off because he just didnt look up for this game at all. Seemed to think he had all the time in the world even when it was clear city were going to be snapping at our heels.

Ive said it before and at pain of repeating myself, what is this throw in coach doing? Is he just teaching the players how to throw the ball further or what? You know something's wrong when trent is throwing the ball to Mo when that big gammut Laporte is stood next to him.

I also sound like a broken record regarding that twat of a ref taylor. How did that silva get to 88 minutes without being carded? And Im sorry, I may be biased but that's a red card all day for kompany jumping in both feet off the ground. He then books ederson for time wasting in the last 2 minutes then adds sweet fa when their ball boys fannies around giving Trent the ball.

Just wasnt our night tonight and the annoying thing is, it could have been so much different.

Brighton away should be 3 points but it's now a test of how resilient the boys are because they failed here tonight. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.
Agree with literally every paragraph here, especially on the Silva bit. Pullback is almost always an automatic yellow, City got away with at least 3-4 just called fouls.

Edited: d'oh.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I’m not a fan of lallana but maybe he could’ve come on and try a bit of magic??
Sturridge hardly got a kick and Shaq came on and immediately got the “sideways passing” disease.
Hard coming on in a game like that mind. That’s why City didn’t risk Ginger bollocks.

Nur der BvB09

Very poor tonight and saying that we didn't get any luck either. The right side of our defence were poor and always looked like something would come from there. Hope Jurgen knows now that that is not the midfield when playing the big boys. A marked improvement when Fabinho came on. Don't think anyone deserves MOM tonight as we didn't really turn up.
How About the Alisson B save?

Da Bulli

No surprise at the result tonight. I expected an extremely motivated city to take the points.
What did surprise me was how much luck they needed to get the points.
Not saying they didn’t deserve the win, just how marginal it really was.

Very ,very tough team to beat this vintage of Liverpool.

sms1986

One other complaint as I'm not as familiar of the going on's of the FA -- why would Liverpool not be playing Sunday?
Television, I assume. Still plenty of time between then and our next match.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
That midfield generally doesn’t work,not sure why it keeps being run out.

Anyhow I’m disappointed and it’s times like this I feel we will never win it to be honest, anyhow we will soon know.

Flobs

FADA
VvD, maybe Robbo or Alisson?
Robbo then as he had a good battle with Sterling as well as providing an assist.
Thanks.

Btw Allison could have done better on Aguero's wonder shot but it was a wonder shot and his passing was well off compared to what we know.
VVD was pretty normal for him. ;-)

Spenna96

How did guardiola not get sent to the stands btw people? Hes was a split second away from sparking martin atkinson out! Anthony taylor comes over and pep just grabbed his arse, apologised and that was it? Any other manager would be 3 match touchline ban

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Game of mm. Mane's hit post, then the rebound mm again. Sane's shot hits the post and caroms in by mm. No reason to hang the game on Lovren. He wasn't great, but he had company. Some very mediocre passing all over the place, except for TAA, who seemed pretty crisp. Many giveaways put pressure on our defense. For them Fernandinho had a monster, followed by Bernardo Silva, and I have to admit Sterling was a difference maker on both sides of the pitch. Still, a very close match, in their house, we leave four points clear with easier fixtures upcoming.

Knokke

unlucky.. sure City was better tonight but we had some unlucky situations in front of the goal, too.. if just one of the „billard“ balls finds the back of the net.. hurts..

But nevertheless.. still top of the league, full focus on the next game and bounce back! Come on Redmen YNWA

JMac8

Klopp - got too many things wrong today particularly formation and midfield selection.

Players - not hungry enough, far too complacent in effort, focus and execution for much of the game.

Lovren - useless twat! :rolleyes: lol
Come on you can’t accuse them of not being hungry. Both teams gave everything. One of the most intense games I’ve seen

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Wow. Some of you guys are unbelievable.
Look at the bright side, we are done with arsenal and city. City will have to face rivals and there is the chance to pull away.
If you are standing next to the player that shoots and scores, you are going to have the finger pointed at you. If you give possession away on multiuple occasions that causes goal scoring opportunities, again you will cop some blame. Emotions are running high, but if so many posters are having a go at him, chances are he's had a shit game.

Red Ted

I can't wait for Gomez to be back. Lovren has played so poorly.
Same here, if we have to be relying on Lovren down the stretch we won't win anything.

I thought he done alright last season after the Spurs calamity but since he's been back in the team recently he's been dodgy and topped it off with that shit show tonight, it was sort of inevitable really.

His decision making was dreadful, the sign of a muddled head, that header at the end that sent City on the counter when Alisson saved from Aguero, what was that about? He was letting players just waltz on past him all game too because he had no confidence of nailing the tackle, Van Dijk bailed him out the shit numerous times, I could go on but it's annoying just thinking about it so sod it.

We wouldn't have lost that with Gomez in there tonight.