• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was a big pressure. Very intense game. We were unlucky in our finishing moments. Unluckier than City I would say. Sane scores and the situation with Sadio when he hit the post. They had periods where they dominated the game and everybody felt the intensity. But we came back and had big chances. It is always like this. You have to score in those moments. When Aguero scores there is no angle. In similar situations we didn't score.

"It was not our or City's best game because we both made it difficult for the other team. I have already said to the boys this is OK. We lost it but it will happen. Tonight it is not nice but it is not the biggest problem.

"I really like Vincent Kompany but how on Earth is that not a red card? He is last man and he goes in. If he hits Mo [Salah] more he is out for the season. It is not easy for the ref and he may not see it how I see it.

"Our expectations are high. We can play better. On the other side it was an intense game. You have to take the game how it is. You can't always dominate it. With a bit more luck we could have got 2-2, which would be perfect for us."
He was total class and was spot on with it all

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
We need to understand that this was a very very tough game and city gave everything they had.
We were a bit cautious and that was our undoing. Had we been brave and attacked we would have got something off it.
Lots to learn from klopp.
I look at the positives:
Fabinho is going to be a massive player
Alisson is world-class, he denied city their 3rd.
Citys defence is questionable, and i can see them drop points Against other top 6 teams.

Now let's focus on the FA cup. Give keita, lallana, sturridge, origi a chance as they will have to be ready when they are called upon.

jaffod

If Sane's shot bounced out off the post or the ball travelled 1cm more then the vast majority of those calling us terrible today would be singing our praises. It is a result driven narrative.

Two good teams went at it in a tense game. Neither side was great, neither was terrible. City got the lucky bounces.

Just need a composed response in the coming games.
True. They got every bounce of the ball tonight, fuck all went for us.
oh, and can I just say I fucking hate Guardiola, the fucking hypocritical, baldy employed-by-human-rights-abusers cunt.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Hopefully it didn’t actually do anything as he will be trying this more and more.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
All this pundits, all over the world, our club ranks need to record all of them. Go into the dressing room or training ground and show them the clips. Tell our players this is what it meant to the world, wanting us to lose so badly. If that doesn't rile our players up and wanting to go for it, I don't think anything will.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Ultimately it was two pieces of top class finishing that did us. Aguero loves scoring against us. What a great player. Sane's goal was superbly taken. Other than that it was an even game and it was frustrating that we've got nothing out of it. Some good chances and some bad luck. I just wish we were a bit more clinical. We would be unstoppable.

I hope that at the end of the season we're not looking back at John Stones' clearance as the moment when we were robbed of the title by 11 mms. When that happened I kind of feared it might not be our night, but it's no disgrace to lose to City especially after giving them such a hard game. Make no mistake they fear us. What really matters now is how we react, everyone, the players, manager, the fans, to our first setback. No need for anyone to shit the bed. We played well. Just wasn't our night.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
Robbo for me. He was so impressive defensively. They sent Raheem at him for the first 20 minutes and he shut him down all over. He took away a third of the pitch for them. They decided there was no joy there and went after Trent the rest of the match and that side gave them all their good stuff.
Add his assist to Bobby and Robbo was the man for me tonight ahead of Virg

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Tbh, Henderson bothered me more than Lovren. He played just in front of the 2 CBs. Normally, I would assume the role of that player is to take the ball out of defence and move it up the pitch yet most of his passes went straight back to them putting pressure on them all through the game. He does great pressing work, I don't doubt that, but his work when we have possession is questionable imo. That said, perhaps that was a failure of the system (hard to tell just from watching on TV).
Henderson didn’t cost us goals did he? I’d rather someone who primarily played it safe but didn’t shit the bed after one mistake, any day of the week.

big noyd

we control our own destiny

gini & milner, especially, had poor performances, but it was lovren who really let us down

not truly bothered, we are the best team in this league and we can see it out

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
What a bummer,but it was going to happen sometime.
It was going to be a hard game,and it was!
Still 4 points clear,the world hasn't ended yet!

sms1986

Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum, speaking to Sky Sports: "I think it was a good game. We didn't start well. City were the better team first half but we still created chances and were unlucky. Second half we played better and created more chances and scored. We were unlucky with other chances not going in. One moment we didn't defend well and they scored.

"We are two teams trying to force the other team to make a mistake. Both teams lost the ball. It was a game in which everything could happen. In the end we lost and are disappointed. But we also need to keep our confidence.

"I don't want to say it is a hammer blow. You are always disappointed to lose a game, especially when you come back and create chances. We will be happy if we had a draw. there is no team in the Premier League that will be happy with a loss.

"We are still four points clear."

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
That's what happens when you're on the payroll of a corrupt organisation and nobody wants to talk about it.
The referee from Abu Dhabi? I think this rant about their owners should be given a rest.... they weren't on the pitch, the referee didn't punish the player. Not sure why this is even discussed....

Spenna96

Possible replacements for lovren??

Koulibali from napoli - maybe a bit pricey
Tah from levurkusen
Kimpempe from psg
Manolas from roma
Romagnoli from ac milan
Skriniar from inter
Hernandez or gimenez from athletico
Definitely need to replace lovren, hes not exactly young, hes not exactly a great defender so cant really teach the younger players

Flobs

FADA
The atmoshere at EPL games has become wierd. If it wasn't for away fans (heard in the background) you wouldn't know their were 'real' people watching a football match.

sms1986

I'm just glad we still have that long unbeaten record in the league at Anfield, it's important to keep it a fortress.

Cologne-Liverpool

yes, 'taken for granted' is exactly it, but i feared that wouldn't translate well
Actually I would have understood that better, but your phrase was picturesque enough for me to make sense of it.:well done:
Anyway, apologies, for clogging up the thread with my language issues.

Jah_Pool

Well, that is what happens when a manager bottles it and LOVREN.

Bottling it, Gini, Milner and Hendo should never be played together. The don't contribute enough to the team when all three are on the field. In fact I wouldn't mind if 2/3 are moved on in the summer. Gone are the days when all a midfielder needs to do is run. The subs; 2 of the 3 midfielders should have come off at half time; that is how bad they were. Then when he made the second sub, he subs Mane and keeps the crappy Gini until the 78th minute.

LOVREN, a more diabolical fucker its hard to find. He was a step off the pace today, kept losing players, was too slow to react to Kun controlling the ball and volleying in for City's first goal. He couldn't make a 5 yard pass in the last 10 mins of the game and kept giving the ball away. How the fuck Croatia made it to the WC final with this clown is beyond me. I cant be comfortable with our defending when this clown is at the back, he is one fuck up away from screwing us......and so said, so done.

Last edited: