• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I don't quite understand why there is a need tonight to look out for scapegoats. The whole team had quite some off-moments. It started right at the beginning, with several passes going amiss when in possession. That played right in City's hands, who could start applying pressure as they wanted.

Bar that fantastic double-chance we had in the first half (how unlucky that was!), we were second best all along in that half. City deserved their lead (wonderful goal by Aguero). In the second half, the lads managed to hang on until Fabinho came on, but they were still handicapped by their own incapacity to pass the ball properly. Countless balls were lost while in possession. After the change, things became better. Maybe the opposition's legs got tired, or we applied a bit more control, I don't know... it paid off in any case, and we came back after a superb collective move.

But still, we were losing balls in midfield, countless balls, and every player was responsible for that, appart from VVD, whom I thought was the most composed of our players. Otherwise, from the goalie right through to the forwards, everyone was sloppy. Hard-working, but sloppy (City were applying a relentless pressing to be fair). And so, Sane (who otherwise raped TAA in- and outside tonight) scored that lucky goal, going through TAA's legs and then rebounding off the post and just crossing the line, but only just...

Even like that, we could have clawed our way back. There were at least two hot situations in front of City's goal. Only luck prevented the ball from not going in. And then that chance for Salah to equalise, only to be prevented by a super-save from Ederson.

It wasn't our night, that's all. The next league game at Brighton becomes now the very most important game of the season. A must-win if there ever was one. Tonight, there was no pressure at all, as we were the underdogs. But at Brighton, it will be different, and the pressure will be really and truly on. That's when we will see whether our lads are made out of the stuff of potential champions or not.

Man City won the four games following their league defeat at Anfield last year. Our lads have to do the same if they want to take them their crown, it's as simple as that.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
For me Klopp bottled it. going with this whimper of a midfield to the etihad was cowered. Go with fabinho, shack and wini and destroy them, they were scared of us. he just bottled it.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Well, that is what happens when a manager bottles it and LOVREN.

Bottling it, Gini, Milner and Hendo should never be played together. The don't contribute enough to the team when all three are on the field. In fact I wouldn't mind if 2/3 are moved on in the summer. Gone are the days when all a midfielder needs to do is run. The subs; 2 of the 3 midfielders should have come off at half time; that is how bad they were. Then when he made the second sub, he subs Mane and keeps the crappy Gini until the 78th minute.

LOVREN, a more diabolical fucker its hard to find. He was a step off the pace today, kept losing players, was too slow to react to Kun controlling the ball and volleying in for City's first goal. He couldn't make a 5 yard pass in the last 10 mins of the game and kept giving the ball away. How the fuck Croatia made it to the WC final with this clown i beyond me. I cant be comfortable with our defending when this clown i at the back, he is one fuck up away from screwing us......and so said, so done.
Lad, we’re all frustrated, but that’s a massive over reaction. Less than a week ago Gini was the best midfielder in the world. And ‘diabolical fucker’? Come on.

big noyd

aguero is one of the most underrated players in the world, IMO

our goal was fucking gorgeous

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I thought Fab was very good when he came but at that point we were playing also way more aggressive so we looked better because of it as well. I thought we started to conservative today but to be fair City gave us a big taste of our own medicine and pressed us better than anyone I ever seen early on...

Red over the water

I haven’t read any comments since the game started, so I’ll go back and read. My take is as follows:

1. Great game between the best two teams in the Prem. City needed it more, and narrowly got it.

2. Lovren. Nope! Didn’t react fast enough to Aguero’s goal, and then didn’t get tight enough either. Could have easily given them a third later on with letting them in, and then ‘clearing’ it to Sterling in the middle of our box. I’m not one for piling in our our players, so I’ll have my say and leave it at that, but Gomez is well ahead of Lovren now. Lovren isn’t elite, and he compounds it by being too outspoken - one of the best in the world? Nope. Invincible through the season? Nope. He’s a good player, indeed very good for a third or fourth choice central defender, but he’s a level below Gomez and Gomez is only just getting started.

3. Fine margins. Mane’s shot off the post, and out, compared to Sane’s shot off the post and in. Then the Stones/Ederson mix up where the ball went 99% over the line. So, so close.

4. Team selection. Before the game I said I wanted to see Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Keita. I think it has more than Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner, who have done well enough this season, but Milner wasn’t quite up to speed post injury, and it didn’t look nearly creative or threatening enough.

5. Our goal was really well worked. Quality. Such a shame we let them get a second when we were getting well on top.

Oh well. Another day we win that. A draw might have been fairer but such is life. This Liverpool team has leaders and is mentally strong. I don’t expect any sort of collapse. What we’ve got is a four point lead and a cracking title race to come. Bring it on.

YNWA.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
That’s a bit unfair. He’s been terrific and just came back from injury. The right Attitude will be required if we are to lift our heads and win the next one. He has that in abundance
But that's again what makes JK's decision questionable. Millie had no business being in the starting XI with Gini and Henderson. I won't continue to belabor the point, I respect the hell out of James Milner. He would run through a brick wall for his mates and for Klopp. Millie didn't lose this match for us but it wasn't Klopp's best day for decisions. Starting Millie only to pull him in the 56th minute was really dumb and puts pressure on the remaining 2 subs. In such a big game, options become limited unnecessarily.

[email protected]

City lost 3 of their last 6 games and still beleave they can make it.
We lost one and many of lot have to moan About the Coach tactics, Players not worthy wearing the Shirt etc....
I m out here for a while.
I ll enjoy our game and our coatch tactics, the lads on the pitch as well and ll suport the Team with all i have.
This fecking negativity is SICK! Where is the difference between a plastic fans and a true one?YNWA in good as in bad times!!

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Would have been so much better for my heart if I had been a neutral today
Just was not our day - how that ball was cleared off the line in the first half was a 1 in a million probability - and it didn't break our way - and they were clearly rattled by it and the ensuing opportunity -
We looked like some our legs tired earlier than expected in the 2nd half
Only second guessing I would do is on the midfield set up - but again - if that first opportunity had gone in I'm not sure I'd be second guessing JK
I gave MOTM to Becker - some amazing saves - but on reflection and in reading the poll results I should have given it to VVD - he was immense and everywhere again
I do hope our medical and physio staff are on an incentive plan to bring back Joe Gomez to 100% health ASAP
We need to go out an crush the next three opponents

Flobs

FADA
Lad, we’re all frustrated, but that’s a massive over reaction. Less than a week ago Gini was the best midfielder in the world. And ‘diabolical fucker’? Come on.
Wijnaldum does have a habit of disappearing or more to the point not knowing how to react in these important away games. He might have been good in the previous 3 games but 3 games isn't enough to say he's made any sort of impact. He really is the player that should be dropped from this midfield 3 as he's the most mentally frail of the 3.

jaffod

The referee from Abu Dhabi? I think this rant about their owners should be given a rest.... they weren't on the pitch, the referee didn't punish the player. Not sure why this is even discussed....
It was an observation on how you can start thinking you can do whatever the fuck you want with impunity when you are employed by a corrupt organisation. Which Kompany is. As evidenced by some of the e-mails sent amongst their executives. Entitlement etc...

Flobs

FADA
2. Lovren. Nope! Didn’t react fast enough to Aguero’s goal, and then didn’t get tight enough either.
If you want to talk about Aguero's opener why not say something about Allison.
Then the comments that he didn't react quick enough then say he wasn't close enough is contradictory. It has to be one or the other.
I think Aguero was brilliant and not many defenders would have made much difference nor many goalkeepers for that matter.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It was an observation on how you can start thinking you can do whatever the fuck you want with impunity when you are employed by a corrupt organisation. Which Kompany is. As evidenced by some of the e-mails sent amongst their executives. Entitlement etc...
No, Kompany thought he is entitled and can do whatever the fuck he wants because they've won league titles - and people think they are a big club. Those email exchanges are about money management, fuck all to do with football. Cruyff said bags money don't score goals. It's all good to bitch about the player's character, even his manager didn't come out defending him and said it was all down to the ref's decision. But you seemed to feel that it was the owners that created this nonsense.

Red Ted

Possible replacements for lovren??

Koulibali from napoli - maybe a bit pricey
Tah from levurkusen
Kimpempe from psg
Manolas from roma
Romagnoli from ac milan
Skriniar from inter
Hernandez or gimenez from athletico
Definitely need to replace lovren, hes not exactly young, hes not exactly a great defender so cant really teach the younger players
We've got his replacement already, mate.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
But that's again what makes JK's decision questionable. Millie had no business being in the starting XI with Gini and Henderson. I won't continue to belabor the point, I respect the hell out of James Milner. He would run through a brick wall for his mates and for Klopp. Millie didn't lose this match for us but it wasn't Klopp's best day for decisions. Starting Millie only to pull him in the 56th minute was really dumb and puts pressure on the remaining 2 subs. In such a big game, options become limited unnecessarily.
I agree with most of this but my comments are not about the team selection but the suggestion that Milner shouldn’t play again because his legs are shot. He still has a place in this team as a leader alongside VVD. We will need him if we are to win this league.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
aguero is one of the most underrated players in the world, IMO
yeah he was awesome today and played like a man possessed who was going to do anything it takes to win this game... he pressed so much that he ran his legs tired to the point that he couldn't even walk at the end of the game. I was very impressed on that goal people like to say Lovren made a mistake on.. that was more a world class play by a world class striker more so than an error or finger pointing on any defender. i'm not sure why people have a hard time admitting that and instead need to find a scapegoat at who is at fault acting like that it was the worst defending play ever by our CB. .

Flobs

FADA
The power he generates would be quite impossible for the keeper to save, and I do think the keeper thought his mate Lovren has his back on this one. But that was some strike though.
It should be the other way round, the defender should be thinking the GK has it covered so he can cover the cut back.
I can not see the problem with this goal, we allowed the situation to develop and Aguero showed what a good player he can be.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Don't think any player showed up tonight . Edit : Sooner Joe Gomez gets back the better ,Lovren was shocking
You don't think VVD showed up?
Roberston likely puked after the game he ran so much
You don't think Gini put a shift in? Becker? Hendo? Milner?

I hope every physio and medical innovation is being applied to get Joe back to 100% -

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Ultimately it was two pieces of top class finishing that did us. Aguero loves scoring against us. What a great player. Sane's goal was superbly taken. Other than that it was an even game and it was frustrating that we've got nothing out of it. Some good chances and some bad luck. I just wish we were a bit more clinical. We would be unstoppable.

I hope that at the end of the season we're not looking back at John Stones' clearance as the moment when we were robbed of the title by 11 mms. When that happened I kind of feared it might not be our night, but it's no disgrace to lose to City especially after giving them such a hard game. Make no mistake they fear us. What really matters now is how we react, everyone, the players, manager, the fans, to our first setback. No need for anyone to shit the bed. We played well. Just wasn't our night.
I agree with everything you say here. This game could have gone either way tbh, it was a tough match. If we get one chance, we need to take it and be more clinical. Maybe, just maybe, Fabinho should have started over Milner and If Kompany was red carded, it might have changed the game. Man City were the better team on the night. Tbf, Aguero's goal was a worldie, he is world class player and one of the most underrated one as well, which I find baffling.

We need to get back on track and we need to show a severe reaction to the rest of our opponents. We have to have a steely mentality to claw our way back up, when we lose a game or one we are a goal down. Sometimes, it was not in our destiny to win a game and tonight was it. Hopefully, we won't see to much of these type of matches.

With regards to Man City, they are beatable and I think their sternest test will be in the Champions league.

Last edited:

sgs

Lar
7 in 7 there, 0 for life at anfield

lovren fell asleep, alisson should be saving that, but that's a great strike

Largely from the fact Aguero was on the floor behind the defence before miraculously getting to his feet and running behind Lovren to get on side. Lost site of him from watching the ball until the striker pops up in front of him...