POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

jabu

TIA New Signing
First half was dire to watch after a good 10 minutes stint that saw the ref failed to give them a red card and us a penalty for that Ederson tackle on Mane's shot. After that we were quite shit. Someone told me Wijnaldum shielding the ball better, and I don't know what was it for. To then pass the ball back to City players. Our midfield of this three should stop to exist. I know I wanted a more defensive midfield, but this isn't a more defensive one, but lack of direction ones. Fabinho would have suited better and it shows in the second half.

We tried, we seemed to have a bit of complex in our game. We seemed to be a bit afraid of them, showing them too much respect. That's not the players alone, but the manager too. Playing 4-3-3 didn't help us at all and second half after Fabinho came on we made more grounds on them. Now Fabinho not only able to shield @jabu, but able to take the ball up and find a pass. Something Wijnladum failed to do.

We need to stop this, this has to be an exception to our run. We have to win the next league match. Forget Wolves FA Cup tie. Just focus on our next 17 matches and win them all. Cannot afford to take our foot off the gas at all in this league run. Unlucky, lack of effort by the midfield in the first half and needed more clinical finishing from our side.
Gini didnt have the best game neither did hendo or milly. I would have started hendo gini and fabinho. Love hendo but he jus slows the game down and plays it safe most times.

big noyd

Largely from the fact Aguero was on the floor behind the defence before miraculously getting to his feet and running behind Lovren to get on side. Lost site of him from watching the ball until the striker pops up in front of him...
yeah he fucking dove and misrepresented a routine, regal VVD headed clearance as a nebulous situation

but lovren is exactly the one to get caught out by it

Jah_Pool

Nothing to dwell on here. Keep it in context folks. We lost to an excellent team who isolated our weakest link and exposed it consistently.

Klopp set up the midfield to break up play, but in a way it did the same to our own transition game. We couldn’t keep possession under their press.

So at the end of the day we have our first digit in the L column, a four point lead at the top AND the toughest fixture of the season behind us

We go again
We should have put one hand on the league title tonight., City were there for the beating. We chose to play anti-football with that midfield and it cost us........then there is also LOVREN.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Why oh why did we employ such a negative game plan in the first half. We never pressurised them at all letting them have so much possession. Shit game plan.
Sorry - did you not see Mane's shot that hit the post and the ensuing Keystone cops defending by them where the ball was 99.9% over the line and in any other decade would have been ruled a goal and the ensuing volley by Mane?
Negative game plan?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Gini didnt have the best game neither did hendo or milly. I would have started hendo gini and fabinho. Love hendo but he jus slows the game down and plays it safe most times.
I would have kept Milner and take Henderson out of the equation if we were to play Wijnaldum. They both are way too similar, with the exception that Henderson barks at people and Wijnaldum doesn't.

sgs

More convinced about the team from this performance than I was going in...Tactically, I thought we were the better team, whereas going in I thought we might be outclassed.

City won this game from the heart and gut, not superior overall team play. We were able to control the game from behind the ball and with possession when we had it, and had done enough to at least get a draw...

Jah_Pool

Lad, we’re all frustrated, but that’s a massive over reaction. Less than a week ago Gini was the best midfielder in the world. And ‘diabolical fucker’? Come on.
Lovren is a diabolical [email protected]#ker, Gini had a bad game along with Hendo and Milner. They shouldn't play together, not good enough. We should have put City to bed tonight if we actually decided to play to win this game.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
It should be the other way round, the defender should be thinking the GK has it covered so he can cover the cut back.
I can not see the problem with this goal, we allowed the situation to develop and Aguero showed what a good player he can be.
it is the other way around and you are correct. any professional player will tell you that as well. the angle that he gave him is angle you should never score from. he hit it as best and perfect you could from that angle though.. so i'm not faulting Alisson or Lovren on that.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
One of the best games I have seen, proved there is not much between the 2 teams.

Not happy with the loss, but not worried because of the manner in which it happend.
Lovren and Allison might have done better on the goal, but that is Aguero, that is what makes him so leathal.

The only player who was completely at sea was TAA. Sane had the better of him all day long, and with Aguero doubling up on him, he was targeted. He is young and he will bounce back.

Robbo was my clear MOTM. Sterling in the pocket, great assist.

Salahmi

Well if at the beginning of the season someone had told me that we were just over halfway through the season and had played City and Arsenal twice, only lost one game and sitting 4 points clear at the top, i don't think i'd believe it. I am thrilled that we are in this position, i just hope we continue to focus on one game at a time and try not to wabble too much.

Robertson didn't have a great game, gave the ball away on at least 6 occasion without too much pressure, but his assist for the goal was total class.

20ATHLONE

What a game, had my cheeks firmly clenched for 90+
Like others have said this could have gone either way. Our passing let us down at times, and there were passages where I thought we’re being blown away and others we were terrific.
Overall though solid effort by the team and I’ll be shocked if there’s another PL taking points off us!!!

pass_and_move

TIA New Signing
JK set out to start defensively - hence Milner, Henderson and Gini. That's exactly what he should have done. No point charging off from the start and finding ourselves 3-0 down at half time. The first citeh goal was sloppy by us but I was happy to go in 1-0 down. Second half we started going through the gears and deservedly scored a great equaliser. From then on I thought we would win 2-1 or 3-1. The Sane goal was against the run of play and again a bit sloppy from us. It could easily have been a great victory but for a couple of slip ups and bad luck with Mane hitting the post and Stones clearing off the line. Small margins at this level. To start calling out our players as not good enough etc etc shows a deep lack of understanding about how we set out to play tonight. Sometimes you don't get the rub of the green. It happens. We move on. There is so much to be admired in the way we play our football I just can't believe some of the negativity. We are an awesome side and citeh gave us massive respect.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
I would have kept Milner and take Henderson out of the equation if we were to play Wijnaldum. They both are way too similar, with the exception that Henderson barks at people and Wijnaldum doesn't.
Gini did get involved in the Mo/Sokritis tunnel scuffle though - but you're right I didn't see any barking by him then

jabu

TIA New Signing
I think the major problem was the mane sub. I would have taken gini off instead

Flobs

FADA
Ultimately it was two pieces of top class finishing that did us. Aguero loves scoring against us. What a great player. Sane's goal was superbly taken. Other than that it was an even game and it was frustrating that we've got nothing out of it. Some good chances and some bad luck. I just wish we were a bit more clinical. We would be unstoppable.

I hope that at the end of the season we're not looking back at John Stones' clearance as the moment when we were robbed of the title by 11 mms. When that happened I kind of feared it might not be our night, but it's no disgrace to lose to City especially after giving them such a hard game. Make no mistake they fear us. What really matters now is how we react, everyone, the players, manager, the fans, to our first setback. No need for anyone to shit the bed. We played well. Just wasn't our night.
Yes, especially on such a poor pitch. A disgrace that such a loaded club has to resort to that sort of shit, it made Craven Cottage look like the queens lawn.

big noyd

"Jah_Pool, post: 1036028, member: 26251"They shouldn't play together, not good enough.
their limitations were on parade, but they've earned it

fabinho and keita should be itching to get out there v wolves

JMac8

I always err on the positive side when commenting on our players and hate the abusive stuff. However, I think Lovren deserves some of the flak he’s getting here. My main issue with him is how often he runs his mouth off then doesn’t deliver. I was cringing when he said we could finish the season unbeaten. It’s not the Liverpool way to talk like that. He needs to shut up, get off social media, and, when on the pitch, do whatever VVD tells him to do

wibseyred

Sorry - did you not see Mane's shot that hit the post and the ensuing Keystone cops defending by them where the ball was 99.9% over the line and in any other decade would have been ruled a goal and the ensuing volley by Mane?
Negative game plan?
1 chance in a half oh steady on. We had no other shot on target till we scored 1 corner all night.

SadQPRfan

Oh God from looking at 10 point lead to only 4. This is why many here were right to cautious. Still a VERY long way to go. I doubt many can keep their nerves in-check over the next 17 matches.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We should have been more aggressive from the start.

We go again in a week. Stick 5/6 wins together and suddenly we look great again.

Thought Taa, Robbo, Van Dijk and Alisson were great again. If they continue playing like that we will win the league.