Post Match: Man Utd v Liverpool (EPL 24/2/19 14.05pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 63 40.6%
  • van Dijk

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Milner

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • Henderson [off 71’]

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • Mane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Salah [off 81’]

• Firmino [off 31’]

• Sturridge [on 31’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Shaqiri [on 71’]

• Origi [on 81’

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

santana

milner is a great player a real fighter but if the midfield is not ( gini - naby - fabinho ) then i will put fabinho in Rb because he is better than milner in defend and milner is better and faster in midfield !
liverpool is reaching a level of magical team but something is missing and i will check many games to find what is missing !

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
milner is a great player a real fighter but if the midfield is not ( gini - naby - fabinho ) then i will put fabinho in Rb because he is better than milner in defend and milner is better and faster in midfield !
liverpool is reaching a level of magical team but something is missing and i will check many games to find what is missing !
Santana, you are superb. Promise me you will never stop posting here.

Alright Now

Love your spirit.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
The January window has cost us, no question about it. Clyne leaving, inexplicably with no replacement coming in, little real depth in midfield and next to no depth upfront, we're depending on the fab trio staying fit and in form. Whenever I see Lallana, Origi or Sturridge warm up, I reach for the drinks cabinet. I'm sorry to say but I've all but written off our title aspirations, the first XI is good enough, the squad's not.

sms1986

The January window has cost us, no question about it. Clyne leaving, inexplicably with no replacement coming in, little real depth in midfield and next to no depth upfront, we're depending on the fab trio staying fit and in form. Whenever I see Lallana, Origi or Sturridge warm up, I reach for the drinks cabinet. I'm sorry to say but I've all but written off our title aspirations, the first XI is good enough, the squad's not.
That's up to you, personally I'm not writing off our chances until it's mathematically impossible.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
We're 1 point clear with 11 games left. Get a grip.

dockers_strike

No plan B and no threat from set pieces are always trotted out when the results and the performances aren't good. The reality is that we've been overcoming deep defending teams all season without a so called plan B. We've also scored the most goals from corners with something like 11. The teams needs to find some form and some rhythm.

Once that is done, we're going to start seeing again some free flowing football and better and more dangerous set pieces.
If you go back and re read what I put, I specifically mentioned our CBs not scoring at corners and set pieces. I dont know how many games you get to at Anfield or even watch on tv but the delivery of our corners is generally poor. How many of the 11 we've scored from corners have come from van Dijk, Gomez, Lovren and Matip? It's about 2 or 3 in the league for the season so far isnt it? That's my point. Our CB's dont score enough.

Same with the midfield, 5 goals all season from them isnt it? That means when Mo, Bobby and Sadio arent scoring, we're struggling for goals.

LFCFFC

I don't understand this argument, it completely discounts the first half of the season. Our squad was good enough to get us top by January but all of a sudden it's the reason we've drawn a few games in February? I'd maybe buy the accumulation of fatigue argument if we hadn't had time to go on two warm weather training camps.

Sure another winger at double his usual price would've helped, but it's not going to be the reason we might lose the title after being 7 points clear in December.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
I heard in coverage all day yesterday and radio shows today about how well Utd played, how well they attacked even with replacing three injured players (everyone failing to mention they were replaced with a £500k/week player and a £75m player), and how poor LFC was.
While I’m not disagreeing we were stale, I will look at it this way...
They play really well and we play poorly at their place, and it ends in a 0-0 draw. Their good, and our bad results in a 0-0 draw, and that is supposed to reflect negatively on LFC?

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I pretty much agree with most posters here as to our non-existent offense against Utd. I disagree with the critisicm aimed specifically at Sturridge and Milner. I think defensively Milner did a good job, and while his deliveries were poor, he did provide an outlet and supported the attack more than Robbo or most of our midfield for that matter. Would TAA done a better job ? perhaps, but he could have been worse just as easy.
Regarding Sturrdige, while it is clear that he is not the same player he was 6 years ago, he is stil capable to an odd moment of magic, the talent is there. But to do so, he needs the ball, and he saw very little of it. He would never be Firmino, who would drop to the midfield to get on the ball, but how many main strikers are there that do ? If Salah would have been shifted to CF and Shaq would have come on instead, do you think Salah would have seen more of the ball ?

Fact is, since Ox got injured ( and Lallna not the same player he was before getting injured ) we don't have an attacking midfielder. Someone who would carry the ball, perhaps skip a defender, and bomb from outside the box. Hendo and Gini while considered ( or used to be ) box to box midfielders, they are not players to open up defenses.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
This is literally not true. City have to be perfect and hope we drop points. We don’t need them to ‘meltdown’.
Actually, city only need ONE result that betters ours on a given day

The pressure is mounting, as we have spurned opportunities to keep a distance. Anyone else remember when we had a chance of a 10pt gap?

It's not impossible, just increasingly difficult... especially when chances like yesterday go wanting.

All of this money invested in a very good squad and still don't have that player who can take a game by the scruff of the neck...

That needs to be the next big purchase. A bit of a maverick who can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

We need Suarez 2.0

This is literally not true. City have to be perfect and hope we drop points. We don’t need them to ‘meltdown’.

I know, I meant by judging from they way both teams are playing at the moment.

It seems difficult IMO for them to drop any points, while I don't see Liverpool getting 3 points against Spurs or Chelsea.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
If you go back and re read what I put, I specifically mentioned our CBs not scoring at corners and set pieces. I dont know how many games you get to at Anfield or even watch on tv but the delivery of our corners is generally poor. How many of the 11 we've scored from corners have come from van Dijk, Gomez, Lovren and Matip? It's about 2 or 3 in the league for the season so far isnt it? That's my point. Our CB's dont score enough.

Same with the midfield, 5 goals all season from them isnt it? That means when Mo, Bobby and Sadio arent scoring, we're struggling for goals.
Other than the cunt that goes by the name of Sergio Ramos I can't think of a CB that gets regularly goals. And in any case as long as we score from corners it doesn't matter whether it's a defender or an attacker.

I do agree about our midfield not getting enough goals though. I had hoped that Keita would somewhat alleviate that.

jaffod

Especially when their manager publicly stated that he still has a soft spot for city and hopes they win the league
He's a prick but that doesn't mean he'll try to lose the game. I think he'd lose the dressing room pretty quickly if the players thought he was setting them up to lose.
I think we'll know his mindset when the teams are announced.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
He's a prick but that doesn't mean he'll try to lose the game. I think he'd lose the dressing room pretty quickly if the players thought he was setting them up to lose.
I think we'll know his mindset when the teams are announced.
No I don't think he'd try to lose but its more how he would go to set up his team. Play us, park the double-decker bus and try hit us the break play city and park a minibus and play a more open game

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Has everyone forgotten we're actually playing ourselves tomorrow ? Where's the thread for that ?

(I certainly won't be starting it as my one and only attempt was PSG away.)

redalways

TIA Regular
I'm not sure what the fuss about Sturridge/Origi was about, because for all the praise for our midfield on the day, we were terrible at getting the ball anywhere in the final third at all, no matter who it was trying to pass and who it was trying to receive.

In general, once they had their third injury, it was odds on on a boring 0-0 draw. There's no way they would have done anything but a Mourinho masterclass at that point. It's one thing trying to break down the bus of your run-of-the-mill relegation contender, but a bus as expensively assembled as the United one would take a lot more time and patience.

That said, we seemed almost too nervous at times, and I found us often lacking the patience to actually do something intelligent with the ball. I'm not even talking about the speculative shots that people keep jerking off over, but just the simple movements we've done so successfully over the course of the last couple of seasons.

FilthyBloke

I'm not sure what the fuss about Sturridge/Origi was about, because for all the praise for our midfield on the day, we were terrible at getting the ball anywhere in the final third at all, no matter who it was trying to pass and who it was trying to receive.

In general, once they had their third injury, it was odds on on a boring 0-0 draw. There's no way they would have done anything but a Mourinho masterclass at that point. It's one thing trying to break down the bus of your run-of-the-mill relegation contender, but a bus as expensively assembled as the United one would take a lot more time and patience.

That said, we seemed almost too nervous at times, and I found us often lacking the patience to actually do something intelligent with the ball. I'm not even talking about the speculative shots that people keep jerking off over, but just the simple movements we've done so successfully over the course of the last couple of seasons.
Aye. I thought the performance was below par but we deserved a point. So many times we have played much better at OT but come away with nothing...
My only gripe with sturridge is if you are not getting decent service from your midfielders, you have to make it happen yourself. Chase defenders and keepers down, finding space etc...
Sadly sturridge did very little. He reminded me of Pierre Van Hooijdonk when he couldn’t be assed. I actually think a 57 year old Ian Rush would have offered more.

dockers_strike

Other than the cunt that goes by the name of Sergio Ramos I can't think of a CB that gets regularly goals. And in any case as long as we score from corners it doesn't matter whether it's a defender or an attacker.

I do agree about our midfield not getting enough goals though. I had hoped that Keita would somewhat alleviate that.
This is so naive as to be unreal. So, as long as someone scores from a corner it doesnt matter that our cb's dont. So what happens when our regular corner scorers stop scoring at corners, what then? Im also a little unsure of this 11 goals from corners stat. Is that 11 goals resulting from corners ie nodded down, square pass then score or scored direct from corners as in corner ball, head, goal?

Of course, you might just go (again) what does it matter but the point still stands, if it isnt the regular scorers, the goals dry up.

In the past we have had CB's who scored 5 or 6 goals a season. Goals make a difference and many successful teams have at least one CB who could bag 5 or 6 a season. It's my contention we need midfield and CB's to score more.

Incognito

The Normal One