Post Match: Man Utd v Liverpool (EPL 24/2/19 14.05pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 63 40.6%
  • van Dijk

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Milner

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • Henderson [off 71’]

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • Mane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Salah [off 81’]

• Firmino [off 31’]

• Sturridge [on 31’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Shaqiri [on 71’]

• Origi [on 81’

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Too many don't believe

Too many have pushed the panic button

I wonder how many of these so called non believers would have taken this position at the start of the season :think:
And how many people shitting the bed are doing so because they think the team are bottlers.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I'm not sure what the fuss about Sturridge/Origi was about, because for all the praise for our midfield on the day, we were terrible at getting the ball anywhere in the final third at all, no matter who it was trying to pass and who it was trying to receive.
Sturridge's analytics for that match are just awful. Zero tackles attempted, for one. The overwhelming majority of his touches came over on the right side, basically duplicating Salah instead of Firmino (to be fair, Firmino's skewed right too). The heat map is striking - if you overlay Sturridge with Salah, you get almost the same pattern. Not surprisingly, neither of them were ever really able to isolate on a defender. Right in the middle where you want a centre forward to be keeping the central defenders honest, there is a huge dark spot - indicating no one was ever there for a measurable amount of time. Life could not have been easier for their central defenders, all they had to do was have the left side (Lindelof) slide over to support, right side (Smalling) slide over to the middle to cover. Smalling's heat map is laughable for a right side central defender, he barely ever had to go further right than the edge of the 6-yard box.

Wasn't all Sturridge's fault, of course, but I have no idea why we were so determined to attack their defensive left. People criticizing Mane's performance are not completely wrong, however he spent a large chunk of the match on the left side providing width and being ignored. Usually there is a pretty good correlation between the heat map and pass/touch charts, not this time - he just did not see the ball unless he came into the middle of the field. Robertson too, though not quite as dramatically.

FilthyBloke

Too many don't believe

Too many have pushed the panic button

I wonder how many of these so called non believers would have taken this position at the start of the season :think:
My take is we have done remarkably well but need to pretty much end the season in near perfection to clinch the title.
I would have taken this position at the start or the season. I’m still very happy and optimistic.
But we have come close before and missed out. That Gerrard mistake took me ages to get out of my system.

Noo Noo

My take is we have done remarkably well but need to pretty much end the season in near perfection to clinch the title.
I would have taken this position at the start or the season. I’m still very happy and optimistic.
But we have come close before and missed out. That Gerrard mistake took me ages to get out of my system.
yes but that would be no different no matter what way you look at things from this position.

Look at it this way. Every side will have at least one dip over the course of a season. Hopefully we've just had ours and even then we've still only lost one game this season. A side that can still collect points when playing badly is usually a good sign. Do we need to start playing better? Absolutely. Can this side do that? Yes it can.

I'm not saying we will win it, but we have a chance. That is all you can ask for at this stage of the season.

FilthyBloke

yes but that would be no different no matter what way you look at things from this position.

Look at it this way. Every side will have at least one dip over the course of a season. Hopefully we've just had ours and even then we've still only lost one game this season. A side that can still collect points when playing badly is usually a good sign. Do we need to start playing better? Absolutely. Can this side do that? Yes it can.

I'm not saying we will win it, but we have a chance. That is all you can ask for at this stage of the season.
True. But most folk look at the fact we have had golden opportunities this season to break clear and bottled/chumped/failed to capitalise.
What could have become 10 points became 4.
What should have been 7 became 5. 5 soon became 3 and that quickly turned into a solitary point.
I can see why people are jittery.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Woy cost citeh 3 points and i can easily imagine them doing the same again,the fact citeh have struggled to really capitalise with the bounty of excellence they have to put the hammer on us is key imo,squeaky bums for both of us in the run in and i've never seen Pep under this kind of pressure,it's fucking great and they could crack just as easily as we can.

Alright Now

This is so naive as to be unreal. So, as long as someone scores from a corner it doesnt matter that our cb's dont. So what happens when our regular corner scorers stop scoring at corners, what then? Im also a little unsure of this 11 goals from corners stat. Is that 11 goals resulting from corners ie nodded down, square pass then score or scored direct from corners as in corner ball, head, goal?

Of course, you might just go (again) what does it matter but the point still stands, if it isnt the regular scorers, the goals dry up.

In the past we have had CB's who scored 5 or 6 goals a season. Goals make a difference and many successful teams have at least one CB who could bag 5 or 6 a season. It's my contention we need midfield and CB's to score more.
Bring back Skrtel before he signs for Barca.:well done:

Scott Jones

Blunt
Naby missed training on Monday due to illness. Gee, I wonder if that may have been the reason we didn’t see him play Sunday rather than real fans knowing Jurgen’s ineptitude?
The sudden temperature change in England has been fucking crazy,winter one minute and beautifully sunny and warm the next,plays fucking havoc with the body,just had a bad dose of flu myself being caught in between sweating heavily and then freezing my bollocks off,typical four seasons in one day.

Noo Noo

True. But most folk look at the fact we have had golden opportunities this season to break clear and bottled/chumped/failed to capitalise.
What could have become 10 points became 4.
What should have been 7 became 5. 5 soon became 3 and that quickly turned into a solitary point.
I can see why people are jittery.
Absolutely but we were due a dip, it always happens. I hope that is it and we'll find some form going forward, Salah will be smiling again. Its about how you cope, get through and get going again that counts. The side is too good, and Klopp will not allow the toys to be thrown out and everyone giving up because we drew against United at Old Trafford.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
I know, I meant by judging from they way both teams are playing at the moment.

It seems difficult IMO for them to drop any points, while I don't see Liverpool getting 3 points against Spurs or Chelsea.
I felt the same way right before palace beat city 3-2 in December :-)
Has everyone forgotten we're actually playing ourselves tomorrow ? Where's the thread for that ?

(I certainly won't be starting it as my one and only attempt was PSG away.)
I can barely log in to the TIA website - God forbid I try to start a thread

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Sadly sturridge did very little. He reminded me of Pierre Van Hooijdonk when he couldn’t be assed. I actually think a 57 year old Ian Rush would have offered more.
Yup - and he has consistently offered little when brought on this season as a sub (remember the start of the season when all of the writing was that JK was offering DS a shot a renewed career in a different role?)
Which was what I found really puzzling about bringing him for Bobby - DS just hadn't demonstrated the fight or hustle that the team needs in general (and that has been the hallmark of this team this season) let alone to play @ OT in such a big match. So what happened was not surprising but really disappointing. Wonder what JK was thinking when he looked at the bench? "Oh yes, DS - THERE is the guy we need to take advantage of a faltering Man U." That one really puzzled me.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Absolutely but we were due a dip, it always happens. I hope that is it and we'll find some form going forward, Salah will be smiling again. Its about how you cope, get through and get going again that counts. The side is too good, and Klopp will not allow the toys to be thrown out and everyone giving up because we drew against United at Old Trafford.
When I get really down about the team I seek out posts by ptt and Noo Noo and everything begins to look up again
thanks Noo Noo

jaffod

No I don't think he'd try to lose but its more how he would go to set up his team. Play us, park the double-decker bus and try hit us the break play city and park a minibus and play a more open game
I actually think I'd prefer West Ham to have a go at City rather than sit back and get picked off. City are bound to be a bit leggy and will be missing Fernandinho.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I actually think I'd prefer West Ham to have a go at City rather than sit back and get picked off. City are bound to be a bit leggy and will be missing Fernandinho.
As I said it'll be more they'll park a mini bus so it'd be neither defensive nor going for it but in between which I think will play right into city's hands

Red Eyes

Naby missed training on Monday due to illness. Gee, I wonder if that may have been the reason we didn’t see him play Sunday rather than real fans knowing Jurgen’s ineptitude?

Before Keita’s flu arrived it was billed as the biggest baddest germ out there, one to tackle even the strongest. However that didn’t seem to be the case at first, no hot sweats at all just a little lethargy and disorientation. Then there were signs it was hitting home with some dribbling runs here and there, but these also disappeared as quickly as they started. For a long period of time there were then no symptoms at all, but then it became apparent that this was a slow burner. Temperature is slowly rising, the boy is getting hot......it’s just a matter of time before the big billing becomes reality.

Get well soon Naby

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Only got to page 14 so apologies if this has been covered but ive seen a lot on here saying we should have won this because of the 3 subs united had to make. I just wanted to point out that we had our own problems there as well. TAA not fit enough to play 2 games in a few days, CB 2 and 3 out injured, Keita who has been playing well out sick and to top it all off Bobby off in the first few minutes. Id also point out that Bobby is the one that makes this team tick, probably one of the first names on the team sheet so losing him was probably more important to us (especially considering our possible replacements) as all 3 of utds injuries.

Never visit it but does anyone know if Blue Moon has its own version of Redforever? Just cant help thinking theres someone over there saying that if only the owners had spent some decent money and bought a proper Fernandinho replacement that theyd have walked this league already and that the owners dont do enough. Brings a smile at the thought that any team that have come on so much would have people complaining but i guess every team has a few of those fans. I'd put money on the fact that RedForever never thought we'd claw back that massive points difference in a single season but now we've managed to get above them still wont stop complaining that we should be doing better than most on here thought possible before the season started.

Dont mean to pick on you RedForever, just that your posts stick in my mind (and throat) more than most. Ive never been labelled an optimist but compared to you (who seem to have decided we wont be champions this year or any time in the future) Im Zig Ziglar. Even IF we dont win it this year its been a good ride and we will get there soon. FSG are spending on players and this squad is getting better every year. I still believe if they spent £500m this summer and took 10k for themselves you'd complain that 10k could have gone towards wages for the 5th backup CB we didnt get. We're all entitled to our opinions btw, its just i never notice your posts when we're winning but know you'll be one of the first to post if we lose (once in the league this year) or even draw. Only bringing this up because even though we're top i have to say your posts are putting a downer on what should have been an exciting time to be an LFC fan, top with a record points total to date.

redalways

TIA Regular
Sturridge's analytics for that match are just awful. Zero tackles attempted, for one. The overwhelming majority of his touches came over on the right side, basically duplicating Salah instead of Firmino (to be fair, Firmino's skewed right too). The heat map is striking - if you overlay Sturridge with Salah, you get almost the same pattern. Not surprisingly, neither of them were ever really able to isolate on a defender. Right in the middle where you want a centre forward to be keeping the central defenders honest, there is a huge dark spot - indicating no one was ever there for a measurable amount of time. Life could not have been easier for their central defenders, all they had to do was have the left side (Lindelof) slide over to support, right side (Smalling) slide over to the middle to cover. Smalling's heat map is laughable for a right side central defender, he barely ever had to go further right than the edge of the 6-yard box.

Wasn't all Sturridge's fault, of course, but I have no idea why we were so determined to attack their defensive left. People criticizing Mane's performance are not completely wrong, however he spent a large chunk of the match on the left side providing width and being ignored. Usually there is a pretty good correlation between the heat map and pass/touch charts, not this time - he just did not see the ball unless he came into the middle of the field. Robertson too, though not quite as dramatically.
I'm not sure if that was tactical, but seems like it was a huge mistake if it indeed was. I don't think Sturridge is a comparable replacement to Bobby, his style not just in defence but in attack is rather different, especially in his latest reinvention. When he came on, I thought at the time that it would probably be a good thing, since he does have the patience to wait to see where the play develops before playing the ball, and that his passing is actually of great quality. It's a pity he ended up being rather isolated like the rest, but I'm not convinced that things would have been that much better with Bobby. On the whole though I think they did a great job at pulling us down to their level, something that we need to fix moving forward. Not that I know the solution...

Limiescouse

It's an extension of one of the most slanted narratives from the game. No matter how good the players are coming off the bench, having to make all your subs in the first half sucks. But, and it is a big but, you cannot treat the side like it is bare bones when your replacements are the likes of Sanchez, and Linegard, and you still have the likes of a fully fit Fred on the bench. Just as slanted is that narrative ignores the problems Liverpool have, including being without 4 important players and losing probably our most influential player ourselves after 20 mins.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Yep, if they can the likes of Anderson, Arnoutovic and Antonio running at them a city side without the protection of Fernandinho and a weakened backline might struggle.