• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Manchester City 2 - 1 Liverpool

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Take it away lads!

Honestly, that was an impressive display from the boys. I would've loved some points from this game but they should all keep their heads up high after that performance.

We missed a few sitters and had a few bad calls against us. However, I think we were probably their toughest opponent (at home) in the league thus far.

I, for one, am proud of the way we performed.

Let's just hope we learn from our mistakes, pick ourselves up and get some points at Chelsea.

I believe we're still 4th even after this and only 3 points behind Arsenal!

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
Didnt see the game but i predict that the 'sell the entire team' panic from some fans will be as entertaining as the match.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Went toe to toe with the team that will win the PL, and should have won.

Nothing to be ashamed of today (especially as they had 12 men) only disappointment was our finishing. Even though we lost, this game showed more than any other this season our credentials for top 4.

LiVeRp0oL89

Easily gave them their toughest game at the Etihad this season, but i'm not suprised :)

Officials fucked us over and we we're wasteful in front of goal.. a point would of been fair in my opinion. Still though, we can take a lot from that game and a similar performance against Chelsea will surely give us the 3 points.

Unlucky Reds!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I'm disappointed because we deserved something, we were certainly the equal of them, probably there hardest game at home as well, shame we couldn't get something.

Lucas

Fucking disgraceful refereeing, officials bottled it on so many occasions.

Someone tell Skrtel to watch the ball and not pull the shirt of the man he's marking.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
We need to sort out our defense. We were good going forward but missed a lot of chances. One really poor call by the ref otherwise we would've been 2-0 up in the first half and that could've changed things all over. So, yeah we were definitely fucked over by poor decisions. However, in the end I think we managed to put in a good shift.

Dark Metal

TIA New Signing
Good game very unlucky to lose, they got very dirty towards the end to kill of our momentum.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Good performance, and I hope they take a lot of heart from that. A bit unlucky with a few decisions, and a few chances that we couldn't quite convert. If we play like that as standard then we'll have little to fear.

They are some side and considering they put six past Arsenal and Spurs, giving them their toughest home game of the season isn't too shabby.

Ssneo

TIA Youth Team
That's how you go down, you go down fighting.....I'm proud of the lads, better luck could have won us the game.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
The result means nothing to me.

The game was ours for the taking. Profligacy in front of goal was a major downfall, but the fact that refereeing decisions influenced the course of the game means I refuse to take the scoreline seriously.

In the post match frenzy, let me say this once again - fuck the referees.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
I think Man City fans will be thanking their lucky stars after that game.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
No shame in that, though I believe we deserved a draw.

Were it not for a blown call by the linesman, would've been 2-0 up in the first half and the game would've been changed.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Disappointed but proud. The lads put in a really good performance and but for a little bit more quality in our finishing (and a bit of luck in regards to that Mignolet non-save and offside call) we could have got something from that. Still, it shows how far we've come as a team and I hope we can play to the same standard against Chelsea at the weekend and take something from the game.

yiannos33

Believe
Sterling misses a sitter, Moses and Aspas did not make an impact from the bench,Johnson another bad day
And still we should of won.

amgough

TIA Youth Team
Good effort overall- would have liked to see Sterling bury that chance (with an open goal.....)
- makes the 2-1 hard to take.

I had us down for a 2-2 and a point would have been good, however- it could have been an Arsenal-esque 6-3 defeat I guess!

abcd

Really disappointed not to get some points out of that. Unfortunately defensive errors, missed chances and poor officiating all contributed to the defeat. Sterling's miss and Mignolet's non-save at this level are hugely disappointing.

Overall though I think the team can be proud of their performance. There is nothing to fear going to Stamford Bridge on Sunday but soft concessions could end up undoing all the good work.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
Going to start by saying we were very unlucky to kose this. By my estimation we had by far the best chances.

I'm also going to say that I never want Skrtel to play for us again. He's costing us every game.

The defence loiked shambolic at stages today but i would like to think that if we ever got a settled backline it might help. But what does not change is the fact that Skrtel is a liability.

He refuses to concentrate on and attack the ball at set pieces instead concentrating on fouling his man.

How Rodgers hasn't warned him about this I don't know. I almost wish a penalty was given against him (preferably in a game that we've a comfortable lead in) so it becomes a bigger issue and our management team can get him to sort it out.

I'm proud of the team's performance but I'm fucking raging that we've lost.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
A bad decision from the assistant referee, a few bad cases of finishing and some lapses in concentration lost us the game. Man City was nowhere as dominant in their other wins in Ethihad. Like I said, we are not there yet, but based on tonight's performance despite the loss, I think we can be confident that we should be pushing for the CL places this season. Well done boys, proud that we did not roll over and lost. Instead we could have nicked it but well, its a good sparring and hopefully just like the Hull loss did to us, spur us on another run of wins.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
I think Rodgers did particularly well in preparing our squad. We really got at City and I think, had it been another day, we could've left with 3 points. Especially in the second half, City were ready to sit back and pick us off but the fact that we didn't concede is something to be proud of (we've all seen what happens when teams go down at the Etihad). I think a more mature Sterling would bury that chance he had but unfortunately he's still lacking some composure when it comes to finishing... otherwise I thought he played a very good game.

If we're really in for Salah we should send Moses packing ASAP - clearly doesn't care about our results and would rather try to run past players than put in any of the work that we need from him. Cissokho was decent today but I'd still prefer for him to replaced, but that is a discussion for another time.

t34m43

In my opinion it just shows were both squads are in their development. Today our chances fell to everyone but our main man and one only scored 1 from 5/6 good chances. It shows that we need champs league to bring in more plays who need 1/2 chances to score. Today was always going to be about being clinical in all areas and we just did not win out in that battle.

On to Chelsea.... who will have the resources to change and we will have spent a lot of effort in that game. From our performance today you have to say we can win, but it is going to be very very tough after an exhausting end to end battle.

Singh_LFC

Very unlucky to lose..deserved a point from the the game. Need be more clinical in front of goal.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
If that's the best squad in the league (possibly in Europe atm) then our 'weakened' side has stood up to the test fantastically.
You don't win or lose the league (or top 4) against a direct rival in December but this performance proves we can compete in a title race.

Other than that Fullbacks? More like Emptybacks....
Johnson is playing like someone who knows they are off or just doesn't give a shit anymore..
Cissokho is not up to the standard and should be released back in January..

Skrtel needs to play the ball more rather than the man..

lovepool

Sterling chance really should have been scored and then we would have had the momentum. Hopefully the same standard of attacking play against Chelsea but with better finishing.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Fuck it. Play like this again please.... Bring on that London Russian blue. They are going to be shitting bricks after seeing what we did against City.