• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Manchester City 2 - 1 Liverpool

Bluboots

King of Sardinia
Well I really enjoyed the game and really, this is what football should be, not that borefest that Mourino has Chelsea playing but anyway.

I think we were very unlucky to lose that. The team can take a lot of credit for effectively nullifying City and really we made a game of it even considering how bad the officiating was. Like our two yellows and that offside call...wtf? Finishing could be better, on another day everything goes in.

Still proves that we lack quality in depth as Aspas and Moses did exactly nothing when they came on.

The players that started all did fine. Skrtle and Sakho did pretty well except for a few moments. Only person I don't feel was putting in the effort was Glen Johnson...he just seemed like he lack desire these days, not real effort.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
schmee said:
The fact that you get as much entertainment from unhappy Liverpool fans as you do from watching games speaks loads about you......

... and none of it good.
Another one for the ignore button. The game was hardly finished and he's in to "wum" it up.

5euros

TIA Legend
Going by the highlights, it looks like we were rather unfortunate. We seemed to match the all over the park and it is a positive that we didn't just lie down to them, a la Arsenal a couple of weeks ago. These are the sort of games I used to dread because you could always have guaranteed Liverpool would make hard work of things. Despite our mistakes today, of which Mignolet's was the worst, we didn't seem to lose shape or purpose. City weren't any better than us. In fact, you probably could argue that we were the best team. I would still like to see a bit more finesse in our defending. It's too leggy and last ditch at the moment for my liking. I believe City are a lot stronger than Chelsea so if we repeat today's performance on Sunday, and eliminate the costly errors and defensive mishaps, we should come out of the game with a point at least. Raheem Sterling, whom I am often critical of, deserves a mention for the improvement he has shown over the last few games.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Was trolling the City forums, consensus is they are giving us due respect for the game. on to Chitsea

Bluboots

King of Sardinia
Yes, considering many of them were thinking they would hit 5-6-7 past us... I think we have earned respect now. But I wish they wouldn't use RAWK as gauge on Liverpool fans... not that there is anything wrong with RAWK ;)

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Perhaps that's being optimistic to say that we will get the decisions after Brendan made his views clear.
I hope we do.

We'll see...

fcukManU

still a dani pacheco stan
Negredo's goal was a disaster and we screwed up for that play. I think Skrtel could've kept tabs on Negredo while he was breaking free, rather than dropping to reach Navas and have Sakho make up ground on Negredo. Just one of those goals I guess, even with the preceding play, that shot should never go in.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
Semmy said:
Was trolling the City forums, consensus is they are giving us due respect for the game. on to Chitsea
Yeah ok, because we deserved it. Now they know about football, because..... they won the lottery and became the Prince's "chosen ones"?

if that offside decision had gone against them (say for Negredo's winning goal) what would they be saying?

The attention this league is getting all over the planet, and they can't figure out how to solve this problem? We have to devise a fancy, multi-algorithmic approach to figure out goal-line issues, and the much easier offside rule remains up to some subjective guy from Manc to decide during a Man Citeh game?

What a dirty game we follow.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
LFC-Orlando said:
Yeah ok, because we deserved it. Now they know about football, because..... they won the lottery and became the Prince's "chosen ones"?

if that offside decision had gone against them (say for Negredo's winning goal) what would they be saying?

The attention this league is getting all over the planet, and they can't figure out how to solve this problem? We have to devise a fancy, multi-algorithmic approach to figure out goal-line issues, and the much easier offside rule remains up to some subjective guy from Manc to decide during a Man Citeh game?

What a dirty game we follow.
if they took objectivity from the refs, then the billions of dollars in match-fixing would be threatened

not gonna happen.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
When we brought on Moses and Aspas it didn't feel to me like we were chasing the game, it just felt like we were weakening the team. BR deserves better options off the bench. At the moment he just has inferior players with fresher legs.

There aren't many teams who will go toe to toe with City at the Etihad but we did today. It showed we don't have anything to fear from any other PL team, but we must strengthen in January. Big opportunity for us this season but we need a deeper squad.

I didn't think we were bad defensively. Set pieces are rubbish of course, but from open play I thought our defenders did well. City had barely any chances in the second half and when they did threaten we closed the door on them every time. I thought Cissokho did OK today, which surprised me. I hope Sakho's mini meltdown in the second half has made those who are desperate to push Agger through the exit door think again.

A great effort but no points and a tough game coming up. Hope we've left a bit in the tank because we need something from the Chelsea game to keep the momentum going.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Christ Almighty - match fixing? Corrupt officials?

How about the Lino wasn't concentrating, realised he had a call to make and took a punt.

Had the officials wanted City to win they'd have made sure one of Skrtel's numerous grappling matches ended in a penalty. This kind of Paranoia is a bit unedifying.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
Christ Almighty - match fixing? Corrupt officials?

How about the Lino wasn't concentrating, realised he had a call to make and took a punt.

Had the officials wanted City to win they'd have made sure one of Skrtel's numerous grappling matches ended in a penalty. This kind of Paranoia is a bit unedifying.
Was taking the piss..even if it was happening not a damn thing we could do about it.

Bobbinho

Probably the worst post match thread i have ever read on TIA, trolls galore...wumming galore....shame really because this was a great game of football, well worthy of decent discussion...., many positives to our play, a few controversial moments....came away with nothing when most commentators were agreed we deserved something from the game...

Gutted with the result tbh, but cheered by how we performed at times, we more than held our own which was/is a huge positive.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
JoebloggsLFC said:
Probably the worst post match thread i have ever read on TIA, trolls galore...wumming galore....shame really because this was a great game of football, well worthy of decent discussion...., many positives to our play, a few controversial moments....came away with nothing when most commentators were agreed we deserved something from the game...

Gutted with the result tbh, but cheered by how we performed at times, we more than held our own which was/is a huge positive.
Really? I think it's one of the most positive post match threads I've read for a long, long time.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Almost universal appreciation of us and our performance on the citeh forums, but they can afford to be magnanimous as they got the points.

We deserved a result.

We should have got a result.

Feck.

Bobbinho

Mascot88 said:
Really? I think it's one of the most positive post match threads I've read for a long, long time.
There are some good posts, don't want to take anything away from those posters who have made positive contributions & thats not to say that a well thought out criticsm shouldn't be considered a positive contribution because it is/can be, just saying that i had to read some utter shite/wummery along the way....is all.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Bluboots said:
Yes, considering many of them were thinking they would hit 5-6-7 past us... I think we have earned respect now. But I wish they wouldn't use RAWK as gauge on Liverpool fans... not that there is anything wrong with RAWK ;)
Am not a fan of it either. It makes us look like that paedo hunter character in the Viz cartoon. Not all of us are foaming at the mouth over sensitive paranoid anger management merchants who carries a lifelong vendetta against everyone who doesn't live in our own street/don't know personally. But sometimes the posting manner can give that impression in some forums and when one is so large it can give an image we don't want

I think city were just a bit better, we have 2 or 3 major weak links and a crap bench, it was going to take a big performance from someone. Suarez was hardly bad but he was shackled and in the end it was sort of them waiting for us to cock up at a set piece or something and take it from there. The main thing for me is the types of goals we concede. Occasionally some one hits a worldie and there is nowt you can do but nearly every one is something dozy, scruffy and downright avoidable these days and that can be hugely annoying

This though was a game where we could claim in post match news conferences that we played well in defeat. Used to wind me up something rotten when managers say we were great when we were fucking awful (Hull, west ham etc lat year, 'fantastic' my knob), for me it is a sign of accepting mediocrity, but this time Rodgers could justifiably say we deserved a bit better. But would hope he would be looking a the fullbacks, Martin Skrtel, Lucas, Moses, cissokho, Aspas etc and see who needs benching or fucking off

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
What a great performance !!

I feel even more confident about this team now!!

The most pressing issue in my opinion is that we desperately need a world class LB

I believe we can beat Chelsea, they don't scare me one bit!!

daggs001

TIA Youth Team
We played very well but the squad is in dire need of a few attacking reinforcements.
Our bench is letting us down. We dont have enough firepower off the bench that will affect or turn a match.

Glenn Johnson is a liability.I have been on his case for the best part of 18 months and wont let off any time soon.
He is so daft. He will cost us big time very soon. He is in my opinion our weakest link. Skrtel tries his balls off.Cant ask for more than that. Johnson on the other hand appears asleep at the wheel more often than not.

I thought all in all it was a very good effort but we need a harder nosed killer instinct to put chances away. That will come.

Superior Complex

Yeah Johnson has been dier in a long time it was just his odd goal scoring ability which made us forgive him. But that can do until the end of the season, let's get a killer dm and most importantly an attacking mid.

Salah is coming in by the looks of it, the Croatian is in our budget, Rodgers likes very tall powerful AM's, Gylfi for example. So Rakitic links could have some legs too it.

With Sturridge back it would be like a new signing so I don't see the point in another forward, what quality forward would sit on the bench when you have Sturridge and Suarez a head of you. Only a shit one.

Enrique is missed big time, Gerrard is still injured... So I wouldn't go crazy, 2 or 3 quality signings would be awesome.

Libero

Not too disappointed with the loss considering in the manner we played. Thought the team showed a good account of themselves and was very impressed with sterling who for me was our best player.

Suarez at times in the 2nd half I thought was isolated a little bit and needed a bit support.

Happy with Rodgers who came out and said he was disappointed with the officials, who were really garbage, but there the sort of decisions that helps teams win titles unfortunately.

Draw would have been a fair result.

Edit:
Further to that, thought we missed Gerrard out there today, just for that experience and that other big name out there. Don't think the city midfield were all that threatened by our boys although they did play well.

Kopreneur

TIA Youth Team
Obviously upset we didn't get anything from the game but, we played pretty well, proud of the performance.

I think we had a few strong chances and could have won the game.

The offside decision was sickening.
Allen had a chance in the box that a heavy touched eradicated.
Coutinho should've scored a second from the Sterling chip to Suarez in the box.
Raheem should really have put cross from Suarez away.

I didn't really think the substitutions gave us anything.
Would rather have seen Alberto come on instead of Moses or even Aspas.
I really think Ibe could give us more than Moses. Really hope he gets on the bench against Chelsea.

Also think we missed Flanno today, he would've made sure we had all 3 points!

deucalion

sprechen Sie Kloppo?
Skrtel scares the hell out of me on set pieces. Eventually he's going to get called for pulling the shirt. I know he's not the only one, but for some reason, he's the most obvious.

P.S. I guess he didn't pull hard enough on Kompany's goal.

grooveshark

Banned Users
There are games where you dont turn up and a loss is hard to take because of just how badly the team played. There are days when the team plays it's heart out and comes up short and you have nothing but pride.

The team as a whole played extremely well, finishing needs some work, and it was unfortunate Mignolet didnt do better with the second goal.

Onto BR, think he needed to state that the lineman got the offside call wrong, tearing into the ref, and his place of origin was over the top. Maybe emotions got the better of him, likely going to be a fine coming his way.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
JoebloggsLFC said:

Overreacting? I don't think this is the worst I have read in here so far. You can't be throwing all praises when you lose, but praises were given to those who deserves it in this particular game. I think the discussion has been rather decent.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Very interesting reading this thread. I'm in the wilds of Yorkshire and have almost no signal, no broadband, no wifi, no TV and no radio. Not all bad though ;) Yesterday was torture as the only thing I could do was refresh the pre match thread every 3-4 minutes.

Here's what I do know. We played City at their place and didn't get viciously done over. In order to stop them scoring 6, we must have been reasonably solid in defence and midfield. @CardiffPete, if Hendo and Allen didn't show up at all, how did we not get a thorough battering? Serious question, I'm not on the wind up. I can't even see the pics posted up showing the offside call, (is Yorkshire connected to the wider world?) but it does sound like a horror show.

Really proud of our team today though. Seemingly we stood toe to toe with the best team in the league at their place and but for a dodgy decision, we'd have got an honourable draw and maybe more. Well done LFC and well done Brendan :)

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
@ptt good points for a guy disconnected from the world....

But here's the thing about our defense. We did manage to prevent them from scoring 4-6 against us, Fact.
But their star striker was missing, and our defense was so shaky at times it was scary. Not only did we concede two goals we should not have. But we played poorly in defense.

If I told you that Aly had the better performance of the 4 would everyone laugh at me? I'm not laughing at me....

-Martin's 3 excellent blocks were cancelled by his incompetence to mark Kompany and his continuous shirt tugging.
-Glen played out of position, and it's not because he contributed to the attack. I could not believe the number of attacks we started from the left and how few from the right. Almost disappeared, Glen.
-Sakho was pretty solid but not his usual self. He did also have a 10-15 minute nerve-filled spell in the 2nd half and almost cost us 2 goals
-Aly was good and possibly his best performance in a red shirt. But still nothing too exciting.

Overall, the organization was not there, for our defensive unit. We had too many men trying to score from a corner just at the end of the 1st half, where it resulted in the winning goal. We looked lost. Boy do we miss Jamie.

And if our midfield and forward line had not had an amazing level of defensive/pressing contribution we'd have given up another few goals. So, one could infer that the combination of the poor defensive performance, coupled with the great defensive team effort to cover and protect (by the MF and our forwards) is another indication of our weakness:

Our defense has some really good players, but it's not organized and it's not properly managed. We need a defensive coach. I don't care how Colin is being used, and for what reason - that's Brendan's decision. But continuing to leak goals like this will cost us big time, and the only thing I want is an expert on defense.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
LFC-Orlando said:
But continuing to leak goals like this will cost us big time, and the only thing I want is an expert on defense.
It's Christmas mate, plump for a bucket of beer and a woman with hips the size of a hippo's ;). Good points though, can't wait to watch the game.

All Day

TIA Reserve Team
Uberkoen said:
I think the owners should look at how we've done so far this season and let Brenden strengthen his squad. We are really thin. There is hardly any quality on the bench. When they bring in the likes of Dzeko and Javi Garzia coming on as subs we've got Moses and Iago Aspas.

We definitely need a bit of investment in January to strengthen the squad and allow us to keep up.
This is spot on. The boys started to tire at the end of the game and we did not have options to freshen up the squad. Moses can go back to Chelsea. He is awful. Brings nothing to the squad.

This game really called for Sturridge. They did a pretty good job on Suarez so he needed someone to score when he couldn't. I thought as Sterling missed that sitter that Sturridge would have buried that.

Can't complain too much though. Boys played their hearts out. One call and a missed sitter by a 20 year old were the difference in the game. If we can get points at chelsea this weekend I will be happy.

blndcat

TIA Youth Team
Pulsating first half, dropped off a little as the second half wore on. Unlucky not to have gotten a point, worst offside decision ever.

No complaints about our midfield or forward (starting) line, just hope they aren't knackered. Cissokho was ok defensively, didn't add anything to our attack. Passed back, sideways way too often, slowing us down. Sktel is crap with set-pieces but I'm not sure Agger is much better... Sahko looks error-prone under pressure, something I saw in earlier games. Aspas, Moses were ineffective when they came on.

Could do with reinforcements to the squad in Jan but I don't think we'll spend anymore on the defence so we'd better get that sorted.