• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Manchester City 2 - 1 Liverpool

alaskared

Kloppite
Proud of the team, unfair result.
I like the way we are playing and we could have taken them.

The only minor negatives for me were, Sahko giving away the ball close to our box, Skertel is going to cost us a penalty with his constant shirt pulling, Allens first and last touch ( positionning and effort are great).

Henderson is most improved player of the season, or maybe Sterling? Great effort overall just need a good ref and the above minor tweaks........and some set piece work too.

Lets wallop Chelsea.

reddie

TIA Youth Team
Why is Skrtel so terrified of set pieces? He keep shirt-tugging and yet get beaten to the ball, Caulker and Kompany kept beating him to the balls despite hanging onto their shirts! It is clear he can't handle big guys in set pieces, Why doesn't anyone ask Sakho to mark them?
Overall good team performance, with individual errors (both players and officials) costing us. We went to the best team and gave them a game to remember. Let's stuff the Chavs, we always have their number, can't remember last time they beat us in the league

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
reddie said:
Why is Skrtel so terrified of set pieces? He keep shirt-tugging and yet get beaten to the ball, Caulker and Kompany kept beating him to the balls despite hanging onto their shirts! It is clear he can't handle big guys in set pieces, Why doesn't anyone ask Sakho to mark them?
Overall good team performance, with individual errors (both players and officials) costing us. We went to the best team and gave them a game to remember. Let's stuff the Chavs, we always have their number, can't remember last time they beat us in the league
Agree on sahko, skertl even though he needs to cut out the shirt pulling he does help with his tackles.
On City we have arguably been the better side on at least of the 3 last meetings we have played them which is frustrating we haven't taken at 9 out of the 2pts we have had from them, but I guess it's something to look at postively considering they have the best squad in the league

DCJ

TIA Youth Team
Great match to watch. very proud today. Lost the match but I think we may win the war by end of season. showed City are not all that. Took apart Tottenham and Arsenal but could not do that to us.

We made two mistakes and they scored couple of soft goals. Apart from that they were there for the taking. great first goal and could have added another three at least but some good goal keeping. Sterling looks better each match. Cissoko had a redemption match and perhaps showed he could be capable. Skertls shirt pulling going to catch up one day (some one have a talk to the man) and sakho had a great first half but under pressure can make mistakes.

no Gerrard or Sturridge. Away match to the so called champions elect and they were begging for the final whistle…….watch out we are on way back. Fancy top four minimum at present.

only sour notes:
- moses came on for coutinho, produced nothing and showed no interest. Dead man walking, send him back. Would prefer to give Assaidi a chance back from loan
- aspas…confirms each time what waste of money that was. Prefer to give Borini a chance back from loan

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
2/3 very poor ref decisions for us, but with the attention Skrtel is getting from the media pressure is building on officials to give a penalty against him and the ref did us one or two favours by not awarding.

The better team won but we ran them mighty close which is what I would have hoped for pre match. We could have knicked a draw which wouldnt have been unfair considering the chances we created but in fairness to City the held firm. The performance gives us plenty to be happy with going into the Chelsea game.

redgingerbread

Honorary Scouser
The linesman cost us at least 1 point if not 3. Had that goal stood, we would have been up 2-0 after we scored the coutinho goal and from there on it would have been reasonable to expect a draw at the least. May be Brendan was a bit out of the line bringing up the officials place of origin, thus indirectly questioning his integrity but one can understand what made him say that. The league is so tight this season even 1 point could make all the difference let alone 3. What if we finish 5th this season and miss out on champions league football by a single point? And i would have understood if the linesman had got a tight call wrong. But in this case raheem was so ridiculously onside that there simply isnt any excuse. It isnt a case of human error, not even bad judgement but an insane decision made by someone who i have to say is incompetent to officiate at this level...... Absolutely gutted!!

PS: Skrtel should curb his love for opposing team's shirts at once or brendan should make him play the next game wearing handcuffs! Its becoming ridiculous now. Only a matter of time before he's going to cost us a penalty!

grooveshark

Banned Users
Didnt think the ref and linesmen were that bad to be honest. They got the Sterling decision horribly wrong but similarly let Skrtel off the hook on every set piece City got.

Finishing is a bit of an issue, players just dont look composed enough in front of goal.

Suarez is always going to be a focus of the top tier teams, and it has shown on the fact that he has 16 goals against the bottom 7 teams but just three against the top 13 teams, hasnt scored against Arsenal, United, City.

It is in those games that others need to step up and convert chances, get some pressure off him and make themselves factors on the scoreboard.

The team played valiantly, and heads shouldnt be down, but it is also a great game in that it offers valuable lessons that the team needs to be clinical especially against the top tier talent.

Play the same way against Chelsea, watch out and negate them on the counter and i think the team will be fine.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I saw the highlights last night and we gave Man City a very tough game and it was an entertaining match to watch. We were denied a penalty which we should have. We should have at least drawed the match if not won it. Sterling was good but he need to be more accurate and precis with his shots on target. He really should have scored a few times. He needs to practice more and more.
Skyrtle, I don't know what the hell is he was doing, if he doesn't curb his shirt pulling, he will cost us vital points in key matches. Brendan needs have a few words with him.

Btw, sorry, I have been out of touch with who's playing well and who's not etc but is Gerrard injured and when is he back in the team?

FreakLFC

Horrible refreeing. So pissed off with the referee, hope they don't get paid and fined 20 weeks wages for that performance.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Maria said:
I saw the highlights last night and we gave Man City a very tough game and it was an entertaining match to watched. We were denied a penalty which we should have. We should have at least drawed the match if not won it. Sterling was good but he need to be more accurate and precis with his shots on target. He really should have scored a few times. He needs to practice more and more.
Skyrtle, I don't know what the hell is he was doing, if he doesn't curb his shirt pulling, he will cost us vital points in key matches. Brendan needs have a few words with him.

Btw, sorry, I have been out of touch with who's playing well and who's not etc but is Gerrard injured and when is he back in the team?
Are you talking about Lescott kneeing Suarez in the back for the penalty call? I thought that would've been a very harsh call if given. The offside call was much more criminal for me.

Re: finishing, Sterling does have work to do but so does Coutinho IMO. Brilliant creator of chances but not too familiar with putting them away (even if he did score one). Needs to start looking at the keeper before he shoots.

To answer your question, Gerrard has a hamstring injury from the West Ham game, but he's ahead of schedule with the recovery process and could be back in training by next week, according to Rodgers anyway.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Very impressed with the way we played and the intent shown by the way Rodgers set us up.
It was very clear we went there to win, and but for that awful linesman's decision we could have won.

Once again we lose a goal from a set piece, and we were very naive for their second goal.

Even though our intent was to win, we massively over committed at the death of the first half, when we should have just played out the last couple of minutes and been content with 1-1 at half time.

Not sure where all the moaning about the referee is coming from though, and Brendan has made himself look a bit of a tit with his 'Greater Manchester' comments.

koptician

We'll go again!
Mascot88 said:
We were denied a cast iron pen for a foul on Suarez, but to be fair Skrtel did that 2 or 3 times so we shouldn't grumble.
Was thinking this myself. Can't help feel a bit gutted especially after that performance, we really deserved something out of that game. But now more than ever I am absolutely convinced we are moving in the right direction. Don't forget we were missing Sturridge, Gerrard, Enrique, Flanagan.

Can we please return Moses and have Ibe come in instead of him. Please!

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
@alphakilo, from what I remember, it was the offside call which shouldn't have been called was the one I meant.

Yes, yes, this is what I mean about Sterling, he needs to work alot harder on his finishing touches if he is going to be one of the strikers. Coutinho I couldn't remember what he was doing on the pitch apart from the goal. Mind you, I had a very long and tiring day and my eyes were tired.

Many thanks for the Gerrard update. In a way, its good that the team can manage quite well without the dependence of Gerrard, I think.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
This game proved something to me - we are true title contenders.

We missed quite a few chances, so did city to be honest. Ref denied us of a clear goal, but did spare us a few pens from skertel...
We matched city in every aspect of the game, and there is not one city fan who wouldn't admit we desrved a point.
Unlike loosing to arsenal which exposed the differnce between the clubs, we were equals here.

In my eyes, we are no longer under dogs in any match, including chelsea at the bridge.
City arsenal and chelsea still need to come to anfield, i predict will get our points back there.

LiVeRp0oL89

When you watch our performances this season, you've got to think that if we had a couple more quality players and depth, we'd be genuine title challengers this season. Rodgers has really got this team hooked up and he deserves massive credit for it. I hope the owners back him fully in the January window. Both him and Martinez are doing a great job this season.

When you look at our squad compared to our rivals, we perhaps have the 5th/6th best team on paper? Yet none of us are surprised that we gave Man City their toughest home game yet. Of course having Suarez up top is a huge factor but there is so much fight in this team and the quality of our football at times is out of this world. We could (and should) have been 2-0 up yesterday at Man City and that could of been enough for some points but unfortunately twas not to be..

With the right players in this January and players returning from injury, the second half of our season will be an enjoyable one if we continue to play like we have been. Honestly we deserve top 4 just for the quality and entertainment we've provided so far this season!

Regardless of this result, its an exciting time to be a Liverpool fan!

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Proud of the lads, thought we stood our ground well, certainly deserved something from the game. Shame about the offside call and think Skrtel should have been in front of Komany and Mignolet could have done a lot better with the 2nd goal. At least we have the consolation that we didn't get outplayed or battered and Everton lost.

gb1986

Also another point about that offside call, had it happened to Man Utd, or almost anyone else for that matter, the players would have swarmed the referee, then swarmed the linesman, made a huge deal about it and put pressure on the refs future decisions.

No one protested at all though.

SirBillShankly

gb1986 said:
Also another point about that offside call, had it happened to Man Utd, or almost anyone else for that matter, the players would have swarmed the referee, then swarmed the linesman, made a huge deal about it and put pressure on the refs future decisions.

No one protested at all though.
Well. the players didn't have the benefit of an instant replay. Their respect towards the ref and his decision are commendable and refreshing.

slufsar

I couldnt see the game, but hopefully a replay is to be found somewhere.

Seen the highlights and have got to say we really missed some sitters. I'm always worried when we get less than deserved tho. Its not necessarily a sign of strength.
What bothers me the most is that it feels like a missed opportunity to compete for the title. Our ambition is 4th, but a result at City, would inevitably put us in the mix for the title.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
slufsar said:

Seen the highlights and have got to say we really missed some sitters. I'm always worried when we get less than deserved tho. Its not necessarily a sign of strength.
What bothers me the most is that it feels like a missed opportunity to compete for the title. Our ambition is 4th, but a result at City, would inevitably put us in the mix for the title.
Let's see what happens at Stamford Bridge. At the minute we're only three points behind Arsenal - thoroughly in the hunt.

Our fixtures in the new year are much kinder than the Christmas period and we expect a few reinforcements to the playing squad. Things are looking rosy to me.

gb1986

SirBillShankly said:
Well. the players didn't have the benefit of an instant replay. Their respect towards the ref and his decision are commendable and refreshing.
Commendable as it may be i'd rather have the goal than the moral high-ground. I'm not saying we should have pulled a United, swarmed the officials and started manhandling them, but i would have expected some protest at least, everyone could see it was onside, Kolarov appealed for offside for a split second but that was only because he tried to spring the offside trap and realised he got it completely wrong, his hand was already going up when he decided to try springing it.

Just saying, if we had made a bigger deal about that some other decisions might have gone our way, that's just the way it is.

koptician

We'll go again!
And I think Brendan is right to have a go at the referees but not sure about the Greater Manchester comment though...but thinking about how many times ginsoak got away with it I can't be harsh on him.

gb1986

slufsar said:

It'll be on here in the next day or two i expect http://fm.lfc.vn/

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
robbed of a point by an incompetent twat with a flag, sterling was a good 2 yards onside...........

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Had to force myself not to type anything till today mainly because i didn't want to go over the top at the officials. As a team LFC played brilliantly yesterday with the exception of a few players. We matched City and really should have taken something from the game and i think every other team now knows we are at the very least a challenge for the top 4 and could possibly challenge for a lot higher than that.

May as well get my thoughts on the officials out of the way. Worst offside decision i have ever seen in 35 years of watching the game, the linesman should be demoted. I have watched the replays over and over and it isn't that he glanced up late, he was actually watching the line and caved to the crowd. The ref made a few mistakes and seemed to hit us on everything, the yellows for instance were a joke. The one big favour he did us was ignoring Skrtel at set pieces.

The few bad players imo, start with Glen. Over the last few games he has steadily got worse and i used to really like him as a player. He offers little in attack now and even less defensively. I don't know if it's contract problems or what but he either has to sort it out or be replaced. Sakho played well apart from that 10 minutes or so where it looked like his confidence went out the window and he looked so shaky i was worried when he touched the ball, City players also noticed this and chased him down.

Moses needs to be sent back. I don't mind players trying their hardest and failing because at least they're showing something but he looks like he'd be more comfortable on Chelseas bench, for the few minutes he was on he may as well have been on their bench because i only noticed him once. Skrtel, don't know what to say, he defends well in open play mostly but at set pieces he seems to have no idea. The refs are onto him now, the TV pundits have pointed him out and he'll give a penalty away in the next few games.

Even with those problems above w still matched City with a few of our key players missing and really should have taken something. Hopefully this means we'll get a few good players in January because i bench had nothing on it to change the game. Our best hope was Alberto but i'm not sure he would have helped much in this game, we needed a fast incisive player, actually thought Ibe would have been perfect to do on the left what Sterling did on the right. Moses could have been that player but he obviously isn't bothered and needs sending back on Jan 1st.

Edit, also meant to say i've not seen BRs post match but seen the quotes. That was excellent because he has a point, no ref should ref a game from his home town. BR managed to say, without actually saying it that the ref was biased. They can't really fine him because he didn't actually say the words but everyone knows what he meant. Hopefully now we may get the benefit of the doubt over a few decisions we wouldn't have normally because after reviewing that game they'll know they cost us points.

SirBillShankly

wembley 65 said:
robbed of a point by an incompetent twat with a flag, sterling was a good 2 yards onside...........
I think Mignolet's rubbish attempt for the 2nd goal was on a par with that for a reason why we didn't take a point from the game.As disappointing as the result is, the performance certainly wasn't, we were well worth a point i think.