• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Manchester City 2 - 1 Liverpool

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Very hungover after the game last night...few things that stick out for me:

Coutinho needs to find his shooting boots, that amazing move between Suarez/Sterling & him should have been put away.
Mignolet had an absolute howler there, usually his strongest suit - unfortunate but these things happen.
Sterling has improved greatly in the last year, so glad he isn't still plateau'd, hoping he stays around the first team even if we do buy a wide forward in January.

Think Rodgers' is playing the media well in terms of his 'outburst' about the refereeing decisions

Before the game I just wanted us not to get our arses handed to us as many other teams have done at the Etihad, think we deserved a point and the rest of the league maybe will take notice after a great performance.

Mr v

While i am very pleased with the all round performance, i am left wondering what we would look like if we had a quality player in the place of (championship at best) Joe Allen. I appreciate that this was not his worst game, but holy shit he is nowhere near good enough to be wearing that top. Im sorry if that upsets people who believe this man to be of the quality that we need to make top four, but he is not even good enough to be a squad player. We played THAT well at city, against THAT expensive team, and THAT gormless liner carrying THAT lad in our midfield. Our bench, on the whole, leaves a lot to be desired really. A sustained assault on the top 4 is gonna need some investment.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous, since his return to the 1st team Joe Allen has been one of our best and most consistent performers, his miss at Everton aside I would say he and Henderson have kept things ticking over nicely in Stevie's absence so much so we haven't really missed him.

I'm not saying he is a world beater but he is certainly not "championship at best"

gb1986

EveryGameNoExcuses said:
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous, since his return to the 1st team Joe Allen has been one of our best and most consistent performers, his miss at Everton aside I would say he and Henderson have kept things ticking over nicely in Stevie's absence so much so we haven't really missed him.

I'm not saying he is a world beater but he is certainly not "championship at best"
Agreed, wish he took his chance first time yesterday though instead of taking the touch.

WrongIslander

Let's get this out of the way first. Sakho is erratic at best, he needs to settle but as a first season player I'm prepared to stick with him because of the ability he has and also the potential. Glen Johnson on the other hand, he can fuck right off. He's utter shite. The lad did not stop a single cross coming in all game, if we'd have had Martin Kelly or a player of his ilk at both full back positions then I for one believe we win that game. Cissokho and Johnson are NOT good enough for us. City's wings are too good and they were always going to prove a succesful outlet with how poor our fullbacks are. We really need to sign 2 full backs and get rid of Johnson but alas I fear we won't and he'll keep looking pretty good going forward while being a liability at the back and we'll pay him 100k for the privilege.

On a MUCH more positive note.

Small margins, that's what the difference was. We looked like the home side. We used the ball much better, we prompted and probed all game keeping City firmly on the back foot and they hit us on the counter attack. We're now for my money the best footballing side to watch in the league. Had Coutinho put that chance away then forget about goal of the season, it's over.

I said before the game I would be happy if we just give them a game, I am absolutely delighted with the heart, desire and belief we showed in that game and considering they only had Aguero missing that shows we are every bit as good as they are and the scary thing is, we can get a lot better!

It's strange that so much positivity can come from a loss but really I think that's about as happy and proud as I can be about losing a game. Well done red men, you did yourselves and us a great credit.

LiVeRp0oL89

If ever a player deserved to be recalled for the next game, it has to be Agger. Let's do it before these rumours of him leaving get out of hand.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
WrongIslander said:
Let's get this out of the way first. Sakho is erratic at best, he needs to settle but as a first season player I'm prepared to stick with him because of the ability he has and also the potential. Glen Johnson on the other hand, he can fuck right off. He's utter shite. The lad did not stop a single cross coming in all game, if we'd have had Martin Kelly or a player of his ilk at both full back positions then I for one believe we win that game. Cissokho and Johnson are NOT good enough for us. City's wings are too good and they were always going to prove a succesful outlet with how poor our fullbacks are. We really need to sign 2 full backs and get rid of Johnson but alas I fear we won't and he'll keep looking pretty good going forward while being a liability at the back and we'll pay him 100k for the privilege.
A bit harsh that, isn't it?
I agree that he has been poor lately and you can criticize him for that.But use better words for someone who has been a good servant.Never been a cunt against the club and delivered on many occasions.
Anybody can go through a bad patch of form.Again criticize them for that, but can you keep your colourful adjectives to yourself.

@match
Proud of the lads.The team is young and will learn from their mistakes and become more clinical.You can't say this often that a losing team makes a statement...but that is exactly what they did.

Mr v

EveryGameNoExcuses said:

Yes brilliant that luv. If you think for one second that an absence of glaring mistakes and bad touches is what we need then youre smoking emirates cush. He is not good enough. Not by a long way.

Bobbinho

WrinkledMind said:
A bit harsh that, isn't it?
I agree that he has been poor lately and you can criticize him for that.But use better words for someone who has been a good servant.Never been a cunt against the club and delivered on many occasions.
Anybody can go through a bad patch of form.Again criticize them for that, but can you keep your colourful adjectives to yourself.

@match
Proud of the lads.The team is young and will learn from their mistakes and become more clinical.You can't say this often that a losing team makes a statement...but that is exactly what they did.
Yes, your quite right, he should of said, Glen Johnson has been poor for too long now, if he (Glen) can't be arsed to play for us then he should leave.........., personally i think he (Glen) should be fucked off asap.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
EveryGameNoExcuses said:

I think joe allen gone and improved so much over time. Much improved player.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
redandwhite3 said:
I think joe allen gone and improved so much over time. Much improved player.
Don't agree with your assessment at all. He was outstanding at Swansea, he was outstanding when he joined us, then had a serious shoulder injury. He is now playing as he was before.

LiVeRp0oL89

Too much disrespect for Glen on here.

Yes he's not having a good spell but there's enough talent and experience in him to still be considered an option for our full back positions which are desperately thin on the ground right now. It's not like he's been shit season after season. Just last year, he generally performed well and at times was our most consistent performer.

Glen is one of those players who you either love or hate I guess. As soon as he has a bad game, those with an agenda come out in full force with the usual criticism's.

Maybe he needs a rest, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that when we only have Kelly (will he ever be fit?), Cissokho (he's bad enough at LB..) and Toure (an option but desperately slow). If he doesn't pick up his performances, then maybe he'll be rested when Enrique and Flanagan come back.

We're in a bit of a weird situation with our full backs at the minute. We've had a lot of changes defensively with new signings, injuries, selection, etc. so it been far from perfect yet we probably won't and shouldn't change anything in that area this January so there's no point crying about it.

If anything is to happen in regards to our full backs, it will be in the summer.

redandwhite3

SirBillShankly said:
Don't agree with your assessment at all. He was outstanding at Swansea, he was outstanding when he joined us, then had a serious shoulder injury. He is now playing as he was before.
I am just saying he getting better because he at a bigger club. He was good at swansea but he even better at liverpool. What i like is the way he moves of the ball. Got top awarness.

Bobbinho

LiVeRp0oL89 said:
Too much disrespect for Glen on here.

Yes he's not having a good spell but there's enough talent and experience in him to still be considered an option for our full back positions which are desperately thin on the ground right now. It's not like he's been shit season after season. Just last year, he generally performed well and at times was our most consistent performer.

Glen is one of those players who you either love or hate I guess. As soon as he has a bad game, those with an agenda come out in full force with the usual criticism's.

Maybe he needs a rest, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that when we only have Kelly (will he ever be fit?), Cissokho (he's bad enough at LB..) and Toure (an option but desperately slow). If he doesn't pick up his performances, then maybe he'll be rested when Enrique and Flanagan come back.

We're in a bit of a weird situation with our full backs at the minute. We've had a lot of changes defensively with new signings, injuries, selection, etc. so it been far from perfect yet we probably won't and shouldn't change anything in that area this January so there's no point crying about it.

If anything is to happen in regards to our full backs, it will be in the summer.
Respect works both way's though doesn't it.....a player has to earn respect from the fan's.....when a player continues to play below their level & quite frankly look like they really can't be arsed.....then it's hardly surprising that fan's will lose respect....

Take a look at Flanno, ask yourself why the fanbase has taken to him......clearly its his passion & oustanding efforts whilst he's on the pitch, same with Hendo, Allen, Sterling, players that will run through a brick wall for you.....those are players who i have the UPMOST respect for.....not some overpaid can't be arsed, casual jogger, making regular mistakes, adding sweet feck all in terms of their overall contribution week in week out.....

Nah, fuck that, players like that will never get my respect, support them whilst their playing....of course, that is a given, the rest is up to them, either they play well, raise their game & their attitude towards the game...or they have to expect to lose favour at the Club, simple as.& if they don't want to be here then they should do the decent thing & leave....

That, i could respect, but half arsed performances on a fairly regular basis.... i cannot/will not respect, ever.

redandwhite3

JoebloggsLFC said:
Respect works both way's though doesn't it.....a player has to earn respect from the fan's.....when a player continues to play below their level & quite frankly look like they really can't be arsed.....then it's hardly surprising that fan's will lose respect....

Take a look at Flanno, ask yourself why the fanbase has taken to him......clearly its his passion & oustanding efforts whilst he's on the pitch, same with Hendo, Sterling, players that will run through a brick wall for you.....those are players who i have the UPMOST respect for.....not some overpaid can't be arsed, casual jogger, making regular mistakes, adding sweet feck all in terms of their overall contribution week i week out.....

Nah, F**k that, players like that will never get my respect, support them whilst their playing....of course, that is a given, the rest is up to them, either they play well, raise their game & their attitude towards the game...or they have to expect to lose favour at the Club, simple as.& if they don't want to be here then they should do the decent thing & leave....

That, i could respect, but half arsed performances on a fairly regular basis.... i cannot/will not respect.
Think glen johnson been great for you over the years. Still think a top player but not in his best form at present.

Bobbinho

redandwhite3 said:
Think glen johnson been great for you over the years. Still think a top player but not in his best form at present.
Actually, he hasn't "been great" at all, he has had quite a few periods "over the years" whereby his form has dipped considerably....., there are Liverpool supporters who have been on his case for the last few seasons....but then again, you being an Arsenal fan may have been too busy trying to work out your own weak links to notice...

LiVeRp0oL89

@JoebloggsLFC

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree to be honest as I don't think I can say much to change your opinion on Glen for reasons I mentioned in my original post..

What I will say though is that I don't think Glen 'looks' as though he can't be arsed.. think that's unfair to use that against him. People are different, not everyone is your expressive, vocal character, i.e Carragher. People used to doubt whether Gerrard's credentials as a captain as he was perceived as not being vocal enough but he didn't need to when he led by example.

Glen is going through a bad patch, another bad patch admittedly. Though to say he hasn't been great at all over the years is ridiculous. He's contributed a hell of a lot to this team over the years and does deserve respect from Liverpool fans.

There's too many people these days that are too quick to dismiss some of our more loyal servants for others who are 'flavour of the month'. That's not a knock on these newer players, maybe they are improvements, its just that I believe our longer serving players deserve more respect for their contribution over the years and whilst they are still here, even if they're not playing as well as they could / have. Of course he needs to improve his performances but he's certainly earn't my respect, as I suspect he has of many other supporters.

When the time is right for him to go, he will go. Let's not give him every criticism under the sun, at least when some are unfounded.

EDIT: Having re-read your response, its hard to think that you don't have an agenda when you categorize Sterling as a player who will run through a brick wall for you. Prior to his recent upturn, you could say the second half of your second paragraph was a fairly accurate assessment of him..

redandwhite3

JoebloggsLFC said:
Actually, he hasn't "been great" at all, he has had quite a few periods "over the years" whereby his form has dipped considerably....., there are Liverpool supporters who have been on his case for the last few seasons....but then again, you being an Arsenal fan may have been too busy trying to work out your own weak links to notice...
To be honest not many weak links in our team at present. anyway think johnson been good servant but not at his best that is for sure.

Bobbinho

LiVeRp0oL89 said:
@JoebloggsLFC

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree to be honest as I don't think I can say much to change your opinion on Glen for reasons I mentioned in my original post..

What I will say though is that I don't think Glen 'looks' as though he can't be arsed.. think that's unfair to use that against him. People are different, not everyone is your expressive, vocal character, i.e Carragher. People used to doubt whether Gerrard's credentials as a captain as he was perceived as not being vocal enough but he didn't need to when he led by example.

Glen is going through a bad patch, another bad patch admittedly. Though to say he hasn't been great at all over the years is ridiculous. He's contributed a hell of a lot to this team over the years and does deserve respect from Liverpool fans.

There's too many people these days that are too quick to dismiss some of our more loyal servants for others who are 'flavour of the month'. That's not a knock on these newer players, maybe they are improvements, its just that I believe our longer serving players deserve more respect for their contribution over the years and whilst they are still here. Of course he needs to improve his performances but he's certainly earn't my respect, as I suspect he has of many other supporters.

When the time is right for him to go, he will go. Let's not give him every criticism under the sun, at least when some are unfounded.
I would like nothing more than to see Glen playing with the same enthusiasm/commitment/level of effort/application & so on as the likes of Flanno Hendo etc but i can't see that happening/don't see that happening.... it's partly the lack of motivation that really gets me, along of course with the lack of end product, the wrong decision making, the lack of positional awareness, i could go on....

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Thinking back to the start of the season, Glen was playing quite well until Lucas bundled into him causing the ankle injury.

Since that time, we have been short of fullbacks with Enrique also hurt.

possible we aren't looking at a player who has been playing with a weak ankle that hasn't fully recovered, just to fill a gap on the pitch. His lateral movement looks suspect and doesn't have the pace/jump he used to.

As a player who suffered the same injury and needed 6 mths to fully recover, this wouldn't surprise me.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
@Semmy, hate to say it but that City fan would be more likely to be someone i'd have a chat with than the LFC fan. It looked like he came on to partially at least congratulate us on a great performance, the LFC fan was more than happy to trash Citys club and fans. Luckily i've never seen that on this site, Geordie fan, Arsenal and others have all been welcomed here and however much injustice there was in a result i don't think anyone gave the sort of posts that you've shown in your post, thank God.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
basil1492 said:
@Semmy, hate to say it but that City fan would be more likely to be someone i'd have a chat with than the LFC fan. It looked like he came on to partially at least congratulate us on a great performance, the LFC fan was more than happy to trash Citys club and fans. Luckily i've never seen that on this site, Geordie fan, Arsenal and others have all been welcomed here and however much injustice there was in a result i don't think anyone gave the sort of posts that you've shown in your post, thank God.
which is why I am here...that is not my cuppa

Bobbinho

@Brightonpete - wum alert methinks....is what i was referring to in an earlier post in this thread.

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Mascot88 said:
Christ Almighty - match fixing? Corrupt officials?

How about the Lino wasn't concentrating, realised he had a call to make and took a punt.

Had the officials wanted City to win they'd have made sure one of Skrtel's numerous grappling matches ended in a penalty. This kind of Paranoia is a bit unedifying.
Thing for me is that Lino's are told two things.

1- if you are not sure of a decision you can't give it.

2- give benifit of doubt to the attacker.

I just can't explain that decision. It's not like the defender stepped up as well, or am I remembering it wrong, making it seem like there was a bigger (inverted) gap than there was.

Man even pub team refs are capable of overruling that call if they think the lino got it wrong. What good is goal line tech for these situations? Is a fog off is what it is. Look at this hand while we screw you with this one.

Not saying the lino was paid. Just can't fathom some very strange calls, mostly by linos. Still fuming about it when I think of it. Is the lino getting relegated for this, anyone know?

Bobbinho

T'was a fucking very dubious decision is all i know, fact that so much was hanging in the balance makes it much harder to take, had this been against Spurs & we were 3-0 up i wouldn't be so pissed off about it, but ffs.....against the best team in the EPL at their ground....with everything to play for in terms of us forging clear at the top.....& then that. :angry:

Not one for harping on about these type of ref/linesman "errors" but that was a real **** of a decision if ever there was one, hard not to feel cheated after something like that happens.

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Yeah. I guess it was the gravity of the game that made it worse. Just irks me that we can up our game for these occassions but the refs don't seem to feel they need to as well.

Oh well. It's gone. And breathe. And back to supporting the mighty Redmen. Let's just hope the refs are more on point for Chels... Unless they are watching Skrts on set pieces. ;-)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
The thing to remember with the offside was that after he saw the flag go up, Hart made no attempt to stop Sterling rounding him and putting the ball in the net. Sterling hasn't exactly been clinical one on one, so it isn't a clear goal. At worst it robs us of a chance.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Mascot88 said:
The thing to remember with the offside was that after he saw the flag go up, Hart made no attempt to stop Sterling rounding him and putting the ball in the net. Sterling hasn't exactly been clinical one on one, so it isn't a clear goal. At worst it robs us of a chance.
Also robs us of the opportunity to get Hart sent off a la Howard ;)