• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Manchester City 2 - 1 Liverpool

copacabana

Word.

Although, you can't do nothing when the decision is made.There was some other chances to score. For me, this mistake wasn't crucial one. Nobody can win the league just with poor referee's decisions ;)

Canuck33

Banned Users
SirBillShankly said:
Well. the players didn't have the benefit of an instant replay. Their respect towards the ref and his decision are commendable and refreshing.
Well, if Sterling would've needed an instant replay to tell him he was on side, then maybe that explains the miss in the closing stages of the game.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Canuck33 said:
Well, if Sterling would've needed an instant replay to tell him he was on side, then maybe that explains the miss in the closing stages of the game.
Is that sarcasm or just you trying to be amusing?

Canuck33

Banned Users
SirBillShankly said:
Is that sarcasm or just you trying to be amusing?
Actually, neither. There can't be any respect for a ref or linesman, who gets a blatant decision wrong. Sterling should've been the first one to complain, vigorously. But he didn't. So maybe his eyesight is as bad as the linesman's. Which would also explain the miss. No sarcasm, not amusing, just pissed off.

SirBillShankly

Canuck33 said:
Actually, neither. There can't be any respect for a ref or linesman, who gets a blatant decision wrong. Sterling should've been the first one to complain, vigorously. But he didn't. So maybe his eyesight is as bad as the linesman's. Which would also explain the miss. No sarcasm, not amusing, just pissed off.
Ditto. Would he have taken the chance anyway? One-on-one with Hart, my money would be on Hart every time.

Maulkin

LittleFinger
SirBillShankly said:
Ditto. Would he have taken the chance anyway? One-on-one with Hart, my money would be on Hart every time.
It's like a penalty man, you never know.

Canuck33

Banned Users
SirBillShankly said:
That's not the point. We should've made a stink right then and there.
Maulkin said:
It's like a penalty man, you never know.
Exactly. But if you don't get the penalty, you never know.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
brightonpete said:
yet you not only read it but thought it worthy to copy and paste it here? dunno i get more than a little pissed off if opposition fans come up to me in the bar after a game,same applies to after game threads too,comment on your own teams site leave us to our own in the immediate aftermath of a lost game.
I am not seeing the offense committed by posting that here, however I will delete the post as to not rile anyone else

Canuck33

Banned Users
Semmy said:
I am not seeing the offense committed by posting that here, however I will delete the post as to not rile anyone else
Don't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with it. Some guys get a bit touchy after a loss.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
After Hart's recent form I'm not so sure and also it robs us later in the game as Sterling and Suarez decide to check runs which then doesn't help us. The difference between Sterling 1 on 1 and the miss at the back post is Sterling had lots of time while the other is a flash cross with a defender in close attention.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
brightonpete said:
Feel free to correct me but i saw it as you were posting it to have ago at RAWK,and i don't think that's necessary.
Sorry, I don't play those games. I was posting a rather heated discussion between two rival supporters. I am not the type to slag a club supporter forum, ours or otherwise

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Wasn't given the warmest reception, either.

slufsar

I've looked back on our five last games against City in the league and the goals we conceded:

2011: 1-1 - Kompany set piece
2012: 0-3 - Reina mistake from Aguero shot, Yaya Toure on a corner and a counter attack after terrible failed pass and horrible defending to let Yaya through our defence.
2012: 2-2 - Yaya on a cross after a horrific pass from Gerrard in the middle of the pitch and then terrible defending in the box and Skrtels backpass to Tevez
2013 2-2: A cross to Dzeko (fair goal), then Reinas unforgettable mistake.

Yesterday followed the same pattern of a set piece goal and defensive mistake. Its incredible that we concede so many similar goals to the same opponent every time. We've thrown away a lot of points against City the last few seasons.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
slufsar said:
Yesterday followed the same pattern of a set piece goal and defensive mistake. Its incredible that we concede so many similar goals to the same opponent every time. We've thrown away a lot of points against City the last few seasons.
Of course, set pieces normally account for 40-50% of all goals scored in the PL. Of goals scored from open play, well over half involve a defensive breakdown, and that percentage skews higher in matches played against more equal teams. So I am not sure what you would expect to see here as a pattern.

slufsar

Arminius said:
Of course, set pieces normally account for 40-50% of all goals scored in the PL. Of goals scored from open play, well over half involve a defensive breakdown, and that percentage skews higher in matches played against more equal teams. So I am not sure what you would expect to see here as a pattern.
I am struggling to believe that number. I wouldnt even believe over 20% of the goals are from set pieces.
As for the defensive mistakes: the backpass of Skrtel and Reina rushing out are some of the worst mistakes from the last few seasons, atleast in the context of their importance. In addition to everyone else, it stands out to me.
Its around 90% of the goals conceded to City in the last 5 fixtures that is either a set piece or a big defensive mistake

OOTer

TIA New Signing
SirBillShankly said:
Hard to say. But he was well committed to coming out. Sterling could have gone 10 yards either way and still walked it in. ImO

Anyway. Its gone. Let's smash boring Chelsea up and put this behind us. :)

Arminius

FSG PR plant
slufsar said:
I am struggling to believe that number. I wouldnt even believe over 20% of the goals are from set pieces.
As for the defensive mistakes: the backpass of Skrtel and Reina rushing out are some of the worst mistakes from the last few seasons, atleast in the context of their importance. In addition to everyone else, it stands out to me.
Its around 90% of the goals conceded to City in the last 5 fixtures that is either a set piece or a big defensive mistake
Only 2 teams were even under 20% last season, if I recall correctly. I believe the percentage was just under 40% in total, with 25% of the total being directly from set pieces, 15% in the immediate ensuing play.

No question those were both searingly terrible mistakes.

SirBillShankly

OOTer said:
Hard to say. But he was well committed to coming out. Sterling could have gone 10 yards either way and still walked it in. ImO

Anyway. Its gone. Let's smash boring Chelsea up and put this behind us. :)
Maybe he would have but the only chances Sterling takes are the ones me and you could also score.

Yep, let's smash the chavs up, would love that, God willing we will, but Mourinho will play safe, can see a draw.

Claymenza

Im not sure how it became acceptable that 50% of all goals scored can come from set pieces. We don't really concede penalties anymore, imagine what would happen if we defended set pieces well?

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Dammit got up early to watch the game this morning :/

shootscore

Was pleased with what I saw, the chances created, and the will. The rest will come. A lot of inexperience out there, and it's all still work in progress. We're in the mix for the top 5, no two ways. And who would've taken that at the beginning of the season, knowing there would also be squad depletions in the form of 3 of our top players?
A bit of perspective's needed.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
The Sterling decision was wrong. Blatantly wrong, robbing us of a serious scoring chance. It's baffling how we comfort ourselves with the mentality that Hart might have saved it anyway. It was a pivotal decision. We were poor on defending set pieces. Mignolet was poor for their second. But, the pivotal moment that wrecks the head, and plays on players minds is the offside. Because it was so poor.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Johnny T. said:
The Sterling decision was wrong. Blatantly wrong, robbing us of a serious scoring chance. It's baffling how we comfort ourselves with the mentality that Hart might have saved it anyway. It was a pivotal decision. We were poor on defending set pieces. Mignolet was poor for their second. But, the pivotal moment that wrecks the head, and plays on players minds is the offside. Because it was so poor.
No one is saying it isn't a terrible unfair decision - it obviously is. But it isn't a disallowed goal either.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
No, it wasn't a disallowed goal. But it's such an unjust decision it plays on the mind. It is deflating. A disallowed goal might galvanise a team. This doesnt

RMP

TIA First Team
It was a poor decision but we did score a fantastic goal 5 minute s later. We had the momentum but City responded I don't an early goal would have made a difference

Mr v

Mascot88 said:
Let's see what happens at Stamford Bridge. At the minute we're only three points behind Arsenal - thoroughly in the hunt.

Our fixtures in the new year are much kinder than the Christmas period and we expect a few reinforcements to the playing squad. Things are looking rosy to me.
please please please fsg let there be reinforcements. We are in a fantastic position. Lets try to cement it.