• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post-Match: Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
Joined
Mar 7, 2013
Messages
1,817
I couldn't really comment yesterday after the game because I was falling off my seat drunk, so I figure I'll throw my two cents in now.

- First penalty was 100% valid.
- Johnson was let off the hook for a similar penalty shout, but I can see it not being given as the United player wasn't even competing for it.
- The penalty on Allen was the kind that will get given 75% of the time. Sometimes the ref will let it go as both players were competing, but I usually get irritated when that kind of foul isn't given. So I'll call it fair.
- Sturridge conned the ref into a 3rd penalty, Vidic being sent off was rendered doubly harsh to United as a result. We didn't score on it so I can only say that's fair.
- A clear penalty on Sturridge was denied later, as a result of him having been given a free one a couple of minutes earlier. Fair.

Not sure what to make of the reffing in all honesty. If those had all been against us I'm sure I'd be livid, so as a result I guess I'd have to say United can feel a hard done by Clattenburg. It isn't often you see 3 penalties awarded against you. That said, we played in a way that forced them into making rash challenges and we would have won regardless.

Well done boys. Let's keep this train rolling.
 

gr_sounder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
2,596
pottymonster said:
I couldn't really comment yesterday after the game because I was falling off my seat drunk, so I figure I'll throw my two cents in now.

- First penalty was 100% valid.
- Johnson was let off the hook for a similar penalty shout, but I can see it not being given as the United player wasn't even competing for it.
- The penalty on Allen was the kind that will get given 75% of the time. Sometimes the ref will let it go as both players were competing, but I usually get irritated when that kind of foul isn't given. So I'll call it fair.
- Sturridge conned the ref into a 3rd penalty, Vidic being sent off was rendered doubly harsh to United as a result. We didn't score on it so I can only say that's fair.
- A clear penalty on Sturridge was denied later, as a result of him having been given a free one a couple of minutes earlier. Fair.

Not sure what to make of the reffing in all honesty. If those had all been against us I'm sure I'd be livid, so as a result I guess I'd have to say United can feel a hard done by Clattenburg. It isn't often you see 3 penalties awarded against you. That said, we played in a way that forced them into making rash challenges and we would have won regardless.
Well done boys. Let's keep this train rolling.
From a referee standpoint... the first 2 penalties were no-brainers.
Penalty 1: Easy choice... no debate on that.
Penalty 2: I think that was also an obvious one. He was rammed into from behind by the defenders head/shoulder right in the middle of his back. Honestly, there was little choice but to give a penalty. If the contact had been anywhere other than in the middle of the back there could have been an argument.
Penalty 3: Could have probably gotten away without giving it, but from the angle, it looked Clattenburg was at, it looked like an obvious call. Only replays could have helped him assuming the assistant ref on that side had seen the minimal contact. Even so, minimal contact (which I believe happened) is enough to validate a penalty. Contrary to popular opinion, you don't need a substantial foul to win a penalty... by law, ANY foul that occurs inside the penalty area warrants a penalty kick, not just the big ones... though obviously refs tend to be a little hesitant to award soft whistles there.

The later penalty on Sturridge was never going to be given unless it was drop dead absolutely an easy call.

Honestly, I think Clattenburg did a pretty good job overall.
Clattenburg wasn't the reason ManU gave up 3 penalty kicks... their players were.
 

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
11,650
And while Moyes and United can justifiably claim that the third penalty was harsh, as was the sending off, the truth of the matter is United should have been down to ten men long before Vidic walked - don't remember him complaining about the lack of a second yellow for Rafael, which he could have gotten two or three times over.
 

gr_sounder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
2,596
ubermick said:
And while Moyes and United can justifiably claim that the third penalty was harsh, as was the sending off, the truth of the matter is United should have been down to ten men long before Vidic walked - don't remember him complaining about the lack of a second yellow for Rafael, which he could have gotten two or three times over.
Agreed...
And just to reiterate... just because it could justifiably be considered "harsh"... that doesn't necessarily mean it was the wrong call.
But yeah... Rafael should have been sent off earlier. That said, I'm glad Raphael was kept on the pitch... he was a liability to them most of the match and had he gone, their shape would have been altered (I'm giving Moyes the benefit of the doubt he would have made improvements - he is a genius after all) and their style of play would have been altered. It would have changed the game completely and potentially meant Flanagan would have been sent off too. Not sending off Raphael sent the message that the ref was not trying to toss players unless he absolutely had to do so... and Flanagan benefitted from this. If nothing else... Clattenburg was consistent in the way he treated both teams on the day - and in the end that's as much as you can hope.
 

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Mar 27, 2011
Messages
620
There's only two 'top six' teams we haven't gave a spanking to yet.. And they are both to come to Anfield.
 

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
11,650
RedJacko said:
There's only two 'top six' teams we haven't gave a spanking to yet.. And they are both to come to Anfield.
And in our losses to both teams, they were very close matches that both could have gone either way. Contrast those performances to Arsenal away earlier in the season where we were shocking, but recovered with the 5-1 hammering at Anfield.

Those two games will be a serious, serious test of our mettle, but I would warrant that neither Mourinho or Pellegrini are looking forward to it...
 

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
3,625
ubermick said:
And in our losses to both teams, they were very close matches that both could have gone either way. Contrast those performances to Arsenal away earlier in the season where we were shocking, but recovered with the 5-1 hammering at Anfield.

Those two games will be a serious, serious test of our mettle, but I would warrant that neither Mourinho or Pellegrini are looking forward to it...
I think that Mourinho will be well set-up for the tactical challenges, but City much less so.

Chelsea do have the basic defensive solidity to cope, plus a proper DM ahead of that ...while, City are winging it there a bit. I do think that we'll have a lot more joy against City in attack, than Chelsea. Part Mourinho, part that City don't look especially solid in the middle. By far the bigger test should be Chelsea at home.
 

LeoT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
2,386
I just watched the game and the Gerrard post match interview again on LFC.TV.

All I can say is this:-

We MUST do all we can possibly do to win the title for that man, he has been a fantastic captain (who could have ended up winning stuff at Chelsea or anywhere else).
Gerrard served our club well during the times when we clearly were a mile away from any silverwere hoping that we would one day improve.
I suspect his role on the pitch will be less next season because of his age, so we MUST push to win the league this year.
 

naturalskill

New Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
115
Gerrard was awesome
The team spirit looks strong
Its time to believe
Brendan and the boys are working hard
 

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
4,450
LeoT said:
I just watched the game and the Gerrard post match interview again on LFC.TV.

All I can say is this:-

We MUST do all we can possibly do to win the title for that man, he has been a fantastic captain (who could have ended up winning stuff at Chelsea or anywhere else).
Gerrard served our club well during the times when we clearly were a mile away from any silverwere hoping that we would one day improve.
I suspect his role on the pitch will be less next season because of his age, so we MUST push to win the league this year.
Watching it for the 4th time (best way to celebrate St. Paddy's Day)
You're right - this is the year to win it for him.
Flanagan was tough tough tough yesterday.
And Glenn's return to the fold continues.
 

spizfromoz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
6,348
One thing bugs me about this game. ManU were so out of it as a team, they didn't stand a chance. Nothing was going to pull them together. We were relentless at the press, sure, and won balls, but I just felt at times that they only brought out a kind of carcass for us to feed off.
 

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Moderator
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
26,631
spizfromoz said:
One thing bugs me about this game. ManU were so out of it as a team, they didn't stand a chance. Nothing was going to pull them together. We were relentless at the press, sure, and won balls, but I just felt at times that they only brought out a kind of carcass for us to feed off.
Yes, I was surprised at Carragher's twice as good as 2009 comment for that reason. I was delighted to get the win, and it was a more controlled and controlling performance as the 4-1, but it was nowhere near as cathartic. The only adrenal moment was the Mignolet with a couple of minutes left in the first half. For a neutral, both the big games on Sunday would have been a disappointment, because only one team of the four showed up.
 

naturalskill

New Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
115
spizfromoz said:
One thing bugs me about this game. ManU were so out of it as a team, they didn't stand a chance. Nothing was going to pull them together. We were relentless at the press, sure, and won balls, but I just felt at times that they only brought out a kind of carcass for us to feed off.
yes it was surreal...but it gets even wierder when you see David Moyse literally transforming into gollum
and mancs gifting penalties galore...very strange but true...welcome to the twylight zone where anything can happen
 

NZred

The Red From NZ
Joined
Jun 22, 2007
Messages
3,798
Arminius said:
Yes, I was surprised at Carragher's twice as good as 2009 comment for that reason. I was delighted to get the win, and it was a more controlled and controlling performance as the 4-1, but it was nowhere near as cathartic. The only adrenal moment was the Mignolet with a couple of minutes left in the first half. For a neutral, both the big games on Sunday would have been a disappointment, because only one team of the four showed up.
I take from Carras comment that in this game we were in complete control, it was utter domination. Whereas the 4-1 result was more of a picking a team apart after they were red carded and United were on top early and even after going down to 10 men they had a good amount of possession.
 

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
2,314
Delighted. Absolutely buzzing still.

You just always felt we would score going forward and they were flat as pancakes in everything they tried. Such dominance. Knew Rafael would give us something from his performance. Joe Allen is playing very well too but overall great team performance and manager rightly deserves a lot of praise for our current form.

Couldn't be prouder. Best season in a long time. lets keep this going and see what happens!!!

YNWA
 

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Joined
Sep 18, 2006
Messages
53,286
ubermick said:
And while Moyes and United can justifiably claim that the third penalty was harsh, as was the sending off, the truth of the matter is United should have been down to ten men long before Vidic walked - don't remember him complaining about the lack of a second yellow for Rafael, which he could have gotten two or three times over.
Yup. Rafael should have seen red with deliberate handball. To top it off it was near the end of the first half which means we play the whole of second half with a man advantage. Imagine what would happen with our pace and fire power up front. They would have been torn to shreds and could possibly be a cricket score. Might even see Ferguson faint. Referee let them off easy. I would prefer it to be Rafael getting the red as we all know Vidic will definitely get one anyway playing against us.
 

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
15,348
We nullified them, let's give the team some credit, they may have been poor but we controlled the midfield and made sure they were not getting past, you restrict a 70m strike force to one shot on target at home you deserve all the credit.
 

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
2,314
Clive said:
I'd imagine that between Sundays game and St pats day you've had a good 36 hrs mate!
Its been a rough recovery man, bouncing back from these sessions doesn't get any easier! But spring in step from 3-0 win, defo helps!!
 

koptician

We'll go again!
Joined
Jul 11, 2013
Messages
2,962
naturalskill said:
yes it was surreal...but it gets even wierder when you see David Moyse literally transforming into gollum
and mancs gifting penalties galore...very strange but true...welcome to the twylight zone where anything can happen
This is what makes me think we can actually pull it off this year. Who would have thought Chelsea would lose at Villa given their recent form! And three penos at OT?! I'm telling you things are turning in our favour. I know Citeh are mathematically ahead but strange things can still happen.
 

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
2,360
koptician said:
Now I hope they scrape through against Olympiacos, only to lose in the next round. Moyes then keeps his job plus the boost may help them at least get a draw against Citeh
They would make their biggest mistake if they ever sack Moyes. He is a football genius.
 

LeoT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
2,386
BostonMick said:
Watching it for the 4th time (best way to celebrate St. Paddy's Day)
You're right - this is the year to win it for him.
Flanagan was tough tough tough yesterday.
And Glenn's return to the fold continues.
Flanno seems to be one of the most aggressive men on the plannet.
Would be nice if in 10 years time we were reffering to him as Captain Flantastic :)
 

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
3,709
Definitely a great performance and great result but we should not get to excited after all WBA and Sunderland have won at OT this season and look where they are.
 

gb1986

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
1,390
costared said:
Definitely a great performance and great result but we should not get to excited after all WBA and Sunderland have won at OT this season and look where they are.
Arsenal lost there and Chelsea drew, look where they are...