• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post-Match: Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Well it was beautiful in every way.

i got to the pub from work just before we scored the first pen. Great atmosphere, mostly Liverpool fans.

We are now only one win away from beating my pre-season minimum points total and we'll still have another 8 games to add to that tally.

I love you Brendan Rodgers.

WrongIslander

Absolutely exhausted, what a day. You can't ask for any more than Liverpool gave us today. From front to back we were simply fantastic and United couldn't cope. I've seen some excellent performances in United v Liverpool games but I don't think I've ever seen a more dominant one than the one we put in today.

Man of the match? Take your pick, if you really want to try and split them then perhaps I could narrow it down to 3, Skrtel, Gerrard and Sterling.

Sterling was immense in a role I didn't know he was capable of playing. Dropping off into that number 10 role he showed more maturity than any game he's had so far, he showed strength on the ball, intelligence of movement and passing and of course as usual his pace was a constant threat.

Gerrard? Well, what more can you say about the lad? He's just epic, will go down as our greatest now I believe if he can get the longevity his career deserves and once again another captain's performance. "I'm not as good a penalty taker as Jan Molby". Who was Stevie? Who was?

For me though I'd just about give it to Skrtel. With the problems we've had at the back this season we needed someone to stand up and lead both by example and vocally and Skrtel did that today and he did it brilliantly. He was immense, a colossus and such was the quality he showed today he reminded me of Sami Hyypia and that's as much of a compliment I can pay.

Special mention to Joe Allen, he's taken some stick and more than a bit of it was from me and while I still don't see him as one thing or another he showed a lot of character today and his effort was undoubted just like everyone else on the pitch. He's not there yet for me but this was hopefully a big step in his development and who knows, a few more goals, get a bit stronger in the tackle and he might just be good enough after all.

Thank you so much lads, and thank you Brendan for making us all dream again.

Miklo

TIA's Cruijffonian
Claymenza said:
Imagine if alex ferguson steps down from the director's box at half time against olympiakos? Has any coach been sacked half time?
Cruijff did it at Ajax once. Walked put of the stands to coach the Ajax team when Leo Beenhakker was the manager.

anglian_red

Begrudging credit to Brendan on this one. He knew United would probably field Mata in a stupd place and go with 2 in midfield, so having mobile players like Allen and Henderson to play 'inside channels' gave them problems all day. The most remarkable thing about it was how it took David Moyes 75 minutes to do anything about it.

anglian_red

The 4-1 was incredibly sweet but I think today was actually a better performance.

From what I remember of the 4-1 game, it was pretty even with a long hoof to Torres, Aurelio's free kick and a counter attack really being the difference.

United weren't even close to it today. You could say the 4-1 was more of an achievement because that was a great United side which won the title with 90 points that season - and we were hunting them down like rabid dogs all the way - but today just felt like a powershift of early 1990s proportions.

WrongIslander

Ataturk said:
Funny how I had the same reaction as Gerrard to the first. No celebration, way too early.
Ha the twat on the right (yeah they're all twats I know but) waving his arms up and down and then puts his hands on his head as if to say "Damn, I was that would have worked".

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
After watching that game, I remembered how to play LB again and hammered 3 or 4 guys trying to come into my zone.

The kid is fucking boss, have LOVED watching him grow into the role.

Say what you like, Flanno has truly won me as a fan. It's still early, but he OWNED his area today and nobody got out of there without a challenge. Take a bow, lad.

Watching the game again...

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Actually to be honest, every player for us on the field played very well. If anyone had criticism of that starting XI, ( myself included ) questions were answered today. We went into Old Trafford and beat them like a red-headed stepchild. Can't stop smiling.

Maybe its the ales.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Will the real Glen Johnson please stand up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akMEFU6wCOY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Semmy

Ad-free Member
ptt said:
Posts like this assure me that I'm not fit to be on the site team.
there's a site team? Do they have to wear Warrior kits? ;)

Tosh

TIA Regular
I see on Red Café, the 'Let's All Laugh at the Scousers,' thread, is a bit bare at the moment!

Attachments

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Not sure if it's true considering got it from Daily Mail, but apparently this is Agger and Mignolet's post match exchange :D :

Agger tweeted: 'Great game, great atmosphere!! Hardcore keeper.. With friends like that, who needs enemies?'
Mignolet jokingly replied: 'My sincere apologies also to the wife!'

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
gingerbread said:
Not sure if it's true considering got it from Daily Mail, but apparently this is Agger and Mignolet's post match exchange :D :

Agger tweeted: 'Great game, great atmosphere!! Hardcore keeper.. With friends like that, who needs enemies?'
Mignolet jokingly replied: 'My sincere apologies also to the wife!'
Lol just checked yeah that's true!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
United lost their way since the first day of the season. I have always said that it was Ferguson that make them who they are, and if any other manager they would struggle. Just have a look at referee not giving penalty to any visiting side for 85 games prior to yesterday is astonishing. The referees have that fear in them to go against Ferguson and that made this current United team taking things for granted. Those challenges they made, that handball by Rafael, would not have been called if it was Ferguson.

We didn't exactly pinned them back like how we did it to Spurs. We played with more patience in this game than going gung-ho like any other game. That is because Rodgers is wary of how dangerous Rooney and Van Persie can be if given a chance to break against our defence. It worked out rather well.

United team lack the movement, and Van Persie operates best up top and not roaming around getting involved. Like Sturridge, he plays well in the final third, especially at the should of the defenders. United are also known for throwing bodies in the box, to outnumber defence. Moyes not known for doing that. Van Persie was isolated yesterday and credit to Gerrard who knows Rooney's game so well, marked the fool to standstill.

Next stop City and Chelsea at home. Let's hope we do not succumb to the pressure and spotlight shining on us. Let's hope we continue to play the underdog role and progress from there.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Ok, a bit more relaxed, even managed to sleep a bit.
This was a great result, but not our best performance. Defence was allmost flawless, midfield bossed the field, but did not create enough clear chances for Suarez and Sturridge.
Which brings me to the most troubling aspect, Suarez and Sturridge played very selfishly, they tried to dribble their way to a goal on their own, instead of creating chances to one another, this was very evident in the second half.
They have to return to working together.

Flanagan, i allways liked the kid, i was confident he would grow to be a decent FB, never thought he could be this good. As a defender he is wont get the headlines Sterling gets, but i am starting to think he might be the biggest surprise this season.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
mattyhurst said:
I was disappointed that they abandoned the crossing game...
I don't think they did, it's Johnson and Flanagan that stopped them from playing that crossing game. Our fullbacks don't want to waste their teammates' time.

Libero

shachart said:
Ok, a bit more relaxed, even managed to sleep a bit.
This was a great result, but not our best performance. Defence was allmost flawless, midfield bossed the field, but did not create enough clear chances for Suarez and Sturridge.
Which brings me to the most troubling aspect, Suarez and Sturridge played very selfishly, they tried to dribble their way to a goal on their own, instead of creating chances to one another, this was very evident in the second half.

Flanagan, i allways liked the kid, i was confident he would grow to be a decent FB, never thought he could be this good. As a defender he is wont get the headlines Sterling gets, but i am starting to think he might be the biggest surprise this season.
The hug flanno gave Stevie at the end of the game says it all, must be so exciting for him playing, and playing well next to a guy he probably grew up watching and idolizing.

Redsatomz

shachart said:

Really? I didn't see it that way. I see them trying hard to set each other up. Of course there were chances which they decided to shoot, but they sure didn't go "out of their way" for personal glory.

If anything, it's because the midfield decided to place more emphasis on defending after 2 goals up, that SAS has less support. They were trying hard to lure the defenders out by dribbling. Also to get them to commit to challenges.

KraznyIvan

For me it was a good but not great performance. I thought that we were potentially a little bit lucky not to concede towards the end of the first half when our midfield allowed their forwards to waltz into the box. Great play by the defence to dig that out though.

Sturridge.... dived and refused to lay the ball off in some key locations. Expect better next week.

Joe Allen was great for me. He and Suarez rode about 8 challenges each and came out with the ball and then made the pass. Lots of our good break play was born of receiving the ball with our backs to goal. Thats high quality stuff.

Stevie. What a man. What a legend. Go and get your trophy son!