• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: MK Dons v Liverpool (LC 25/9/19 7.45pm)

Man of the match

• Kelleher

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Hoever [GOAL 69’, off 90+1’]

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Milner [GOAL 41’]

Votes: 71 69.6%
  • Lallana

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 82’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keita [off 63’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elliot

Votes: 64 62.7%
  • Brewster

• Jones

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Chirivella [on 63’]

• Kane [on 82’]

• Van den Berg [on 90+1’]

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
That is why we need to keep advancing in the cups. I want to see Elliott get at least 6-7 games with the senior side this year, and not just him.
I'd like that too. I just hope that we keep playing the kids regardless of who we're drawn against. Arsenal at home will be a tough one if we field the same team but it really doesn't matter what happens in this competition and the experience for the younger lads is invaluable.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I've said in many a pre game thread that I'd always leave it to Jurgen and his team. However I'll break tradition and say we should just keep kicking the ball out for goal kicks and let them try and play it out from the back. ;)
I wanted the youngsters to get more game time and save our players for more important games.

jaffod

Absolutely outstanding by the young Reds tonight (and Milner and Lallana), 829 passes and 78% possession. I know you have to take the opposition into account - and MK Dons certainly gave us the opportunity to play - but the way we knocked the ball about and retained possession had me wishing the 1st eleven could have the same calmness and composure at times.
Jones, Elliott and Hoever were brilliant, Brewster not bad but nothing special on the night. Lallana all tricks and turns even when there was nobody near him but good to see him get 90 minutes.
Just shows the difference in class between the elite clubs and league 1 and 2 teams because those lads would be playing every week in those leagues.
Just a very enjoyable game all round and the icing on the cake is drawing the Gunners in the next round.

fspencer

Imagine what Arsenal’s thinking.
Emery probably thinking " can i take my annual leave on that day ?" ( in a scottish accent) " get wenger in , he can do a better defensive job than wha i'm doin" ( also in a scottish accent ) .

no idea why he is turning scottish but he just reminds me of gordon strachans coventry . wonderful going forward but a striker in defence ( dion dublin)

Magnus

Very surprised people thought Elliot was better than Milner. Milner saved our bacon, blocking everything important that came at our goal, hammering in a goal, and was just the teams leader. By far the superior man on the pitch. Elliot was really good, but not at Milner's level and hardly as important for the team. There really could only be one MotM imo ;)

As for the game. We advance, we score two goals, we get match time on our reserves and no injuries. Perfect :)

jim bouki

I like lallana in the 6 role. I'd say it suits his game much better, he has that ability to turn on a dime and is good in half spaces to get out of trouble which is essential in that position for breaking the lines without slowing the game down by having to go backward all the time. He is also one of the hardest working players so hopefully his fitness holds up and he can provide fab with quality cover in that position

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
That was a good game. Dons acquitted themselves quite well, we were lucky to end up with a clean sheet.

I loved the second goal. One FB, the veteran, assisting the other one, who is young enough to be his son. Pity that the rest of the seniors were rather average, especially Gomez and Lovren.

The Academy players on the other hand did for the most part really well. Hoever got a goal, Jones was all over the pitch and Kelleher was excellent but overshadowed by Elliott, who had a breakout performance. His peers need work to play for the first team. He is ready now. He's got everything in his locker. On that note Brewster was probably the biggest disappointment. For someone who is supposed to be able to contribute now, he looks well off the pace and nowhere near to being a PL player.

Good thing that he has all the time in the world and the right coaches to improve.
Thanks for this assessment as I did not see the game or anything on you tube. Andy (y)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I like lallana in the 6 role. I'd say it suits his game much better, he has that ability to turn on a dime and is good in half spaces to get out of trouble which is essential in that position for breaking the lines without slowing the game down by having to go backward all the time. He is also one of the hardest working players so hopefully his fitness holds up and he can provide fab with quality cover in that position
Yep, I thought he did OK. With the caveat that I think he’d struggle against decent opposition. Klopp and Ljinders rationale that he is an option in games we’re expected to dominate position seems logical to me.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I'd like that too. I just hope that we keep playing the kids regardless of who we're drawn against. Arsenal at home will be a tough one if we field the same team but it really doesn't matter what happens in this competition and the experience for the younger lads is invaluable.
Agree with that, but the experience is so valuable that it would be a shame not to have additional rounds.

Against Arsenal, we might have to finetune the mixture, but I am not sure that would mean any of the kids don't start.

They are coming off home to Palace, and have Wolves coming to the Emirates. Not the easiest pair of opponents, but certainly not the most difficult the way the two of them are playing.

We have Spurs at Anfield 2 days earlier, so we know that the first XI will be pretty used up. Maybe the big three on the bench to change the game

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Yep agree with you and mentioned it during the game, where a few others mentioned that they thought he was poor. I feel he could do it in the Premier League but as others have mentioned, my doubt is that he could lack the strength, not the commitment, for the defensive side of the role.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Very surprised people thought Elliot was better than Milner. Milner saved our bacon, blocking everything important that came at our goal, hammering in a goal, and was just the teams leader. By far the superior man on the pitch. Elliot was really good, but not at Milner's level and hardly as important for the team. There really could only be one MotM imo ;)

As for the game. We advance, we score two goals, we get match time on our reserves and no injuries. Perfect :)
Having seen now seen the highlights, loved it that Milly saved our bacon at the back and then had a right go at the defence! Get in there.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Its a tough one. Its Gaelic for Kevin.
Key-veen is close. Or Quey-veen. Think of the first syllable of the word "Queen" and add veen. Quee-veen.
It would be pronounced slightly differently in different counties.
TCB you are our Rosetta Stone
This is the perfect way to describe how to pronounce it
And when the commentator kept getting it wrong I was seething

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Delighted with the showing of the young lads in this,we certainly look to have some talent waiting in the wings.
Milner MOTM for me,needed an old head or two out there and Millie delivered,as you would expect.
There is life in those legs ,yet.
Would have preferred an easier tie than Arsenal next up,to give the kids some more exposure,but that is the way it goes.
Some will start there but maybe not as many!

jim bouki

Yep agree with you and mentioned it during the game, where a few others mentioned that they thought he was poor. I feel he could do it in the Premier League but as others have mentioned, my doubt is that he could lack the strength, not the commitment, for the defensive side of the role.
Yep agreed, today wasn't his greatest game but his attributes are well suited to that role. I reckon with a bit more training on the defensive side of the game and with the proper 11 and first choice back line in behind him then he could do a decent job in the premier league. Obviously wouldn't be using him there against the top 6 but the bottom half sides in which we dominate possession i reckon he would do well in those types of games

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
enjoyable outing, Milly was outstanding. the youngsters performed well, Elliot, Jones, Kelleher(made some good saves),Hoever were very good. Brewster was limited tonight, bur good to see him get 90 mins. if I have forgotten anyone I blame it on my having 4 teeth removed yesterday!!! call me renta-lisp!!! other plusses were seeing Keita and Lallana and the Ox.

no pipes were harmed in the making of this post!!!

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Just watched the highlights. Generally, I'm supportive of Lovren and wouldn't want to get too negative on him in his first match back. Just saying with a smile on my face because we won that even for him that was "unfortunate." The ass slide definitely deserves a gif. Then he gets up, dawdles about, then suddenly realizes the play remains live and tries to defend the fellow who ultimately put it over the crossbar....and he's late. That one ought to keep him humble for a while.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
brilliant. Than you ever so much for putting this on the forum as I had not seen anything....Andy.
Thanks for posting!
After watching that, James fucking milner is a proper mentality giant. Outstanding example to the young guys (and the others), showed his class, skill, fitness and most importantly total professional determination. Lovern in contrast... Almost seems a shame we didn't get a better offer for him and really doesn't look ready to step up if needed. That said, had we sold him, we'd surely have ended up with CB injuries and looked short.