• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Napoli 2-0 Liverpool (UCL 17/9/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 63 70.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Matip

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 50 55.6%
  • Henderson [on 87’]

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Milner [off 67’]

• Salah

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Firmino

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Mane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wijnaldum [on 67’]

• Shaqiri [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
When I first seen it, I thought it was a penalty but after seeing the replays it wasn't. Just what is the point of VAR? We had good spells of control but just could not keep a lid on them and do a professional job like we should have. Adrian was outstanding - best game for us by a country mile. Fabs was - well, Fab again. At least it showed that there was no in-fighting between Mo and Sadio when Sadio tried to play that ball into Mo and just seemed to slightly get it wrong. Mind, Mo should have scored at the keeper's near post. At least we played ten times better there than last season and we still have five more games left. Must get this away form sorted though - especially if we are to advance.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Interesting, we have a 4-7 record (if we count Istanbul as a win, not as a draw in regular time) against Ancelotti.

Red over the water

I keep seeing Koulibaly "shut down" our front line, I ask this genuinely, do people really believe that? And do people really think he's "one of the best defenders in the world" on par with Virgil? I couldn't disagree more. That is Youtube scouting at it's finest. One of the most overrated players in all of world football.

Our forwards made that big lump look good. More a case of giveaways than him doing anything special. Kalidou Koulibaly is living on a reputation forged a long time ago. Not even remotely the same player he once was, he is an average defender. Good at home on that shit surface when the game is slow and static and an average defender on the road. And that's to say nothing of his beautiful own goal a few weeks ago v Juve. Imagine the uproar if Virg ever put the ball in the back of his own net.
I think Koulibaly is a very good central defender. Nowhere near the level or class of VVD, but still very good.

We have three of the best strikers in the world, and I would imagine that if you asked them what it's like to play against Koulibaly, they would say to a man, "Horrible." Or words to that effect.

I haven't seen an awful lot of him, but he's physical, in your face, riding the edge of what's legal and illegal in terms of the rough stuff - but that's not his problem, it's up to the refs to sort that out.

Not as good on the ball as our man, and nowhere near as silky or classy.

But for his type - horrible big bugger to play against - he's up there with the best central defenders in the world for me.

Red over the water

Created one a few hours ago but I’m not sure if it worked because the site asked me to log in again.

Maybe one of the admins can check. @Nikola @Hope in your heart @Mascot88
Reminds me of my early days with a computer at Uni. I wrote an essay and lost it because I didn't save my work. I almost threw the thing out the window.

I hope the mods can retrieve your post, and your winning streak keeps going!

Alright Now

I think Koulibaly is a very good central defender. Nowhere near the level or class of VVD, but still very good.

We have three of the best strikers in the world, and I would imagine that if you asked them what it's like to play against Koulibaly, they would say to a man, "Horrible." Or words to that effect.

I haven't seen an awful lot of him, but he's physical, in your face, riding the edge of what's legal and illegal in terms of the rough stuff - but that's not his problem, it's up to the refs to sort that out.

Not as good on the ball as our man, and nowhere near as silky or classy.

But for his type - horrible big bugger to play against - he's up there with the best central defenders in the world for me.
Matip would confirm the “horrible” characterization after having suffered that late cheap shot from Koulibaly in our second group game against them last season.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Is the referee missing a dive not ‘clear and obvious’?

It seems to me that VAR has quickly become about the referees union. We’re all partly at fault for that. It’s quite obvious that their would be a ‘Darwinian’ aspect to VAR where it would expose the shit refs, and you can imagine the media pieces around which ref has been bailed out by VAR the most.

VAR is actively protecting referees and that isn’t what it should be about.
VAR For me should be about protecting the integrity of the game by getting decisions right and if referees get a decision wrong then to overturn that decision.

I think this penalty is a great example as from where the referee was it looked a clear penalty, one camera angle shows his view, however from a different angle it is clear that the player had already left his feet diving to initiate the contact. For me and also believe most referees would prefer to be able to rescind the goal and then have the satisfaction of showing the yellow card to the 'cheat' and it therefore sends a clear message that cheating/diving won't be tolerated.

Is it the referees association and football associations that are at fault and not the referees themselves?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Also, it's absolutely disgraceful to read that Robbo had to shut down his social media today after "fans" abusing him for giving up the pen. Galling the state of it all. Absolute disgraceful and embarrassing from "fans".
Can’t be true.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Just a thought; maybe it would be of support to Robbo if there was a flag/banner of him, if there isn’t one already. Maybe Robbo the Brave with a big heart and fist and Liver Bird on it or something????
I imagine he knows the level of support there is for him.
He knows it wasnt a penalty.
He doesnt need qualification of our support. He just has it.