Post Match: Napoli v Liverpool (UCL 3/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Milner (off 75’)

• Wijnaldum

• Keita (off 18’)

• Salah

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane (off 87’)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Henderson (on 18’)

• Fabinho (on 75’)

• Sturridge (on 87’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commando

The bi-polar lives of football supporters, there's no wonder our wives giggle
Yes...and hubbies are sent to watch TV upstairs
Not me. Mrs CDO is a footy fan too (City). So we sit and watch football together. Not just our games either. If there is a big match on that doesn't involve either of our teams (Chelsea/Spurs the year Leicester won it), then we'll watch it.

[email protected]

Pretty poor that. Fullbacks were not up to it somehow; TAA got played around and through a little too often although as mentioned he had a job with not much protection in front of him, Robertson looked unusually edgy and uncomfortable and hoofed away when he had more space than he thought. Didn't help that it kept coming back, though. Both were just poor on the ball in general as well.

The midfield shrank away and the front three couldn't hold on to the ball which is a bad combo. Can't create or defend properly when that's going to happen and but for the CB's, Allison and Napoli being a good, but not great team the result would have been been confirmed sooner.

That said, while Napoli are not great they do have a fantastic manager and he set up brilliantly. Our manager does the same and we regularly make the better teams look like shit. It happens; this is no pub league so nobody should be losing their heads because of a loss away against a good team with a great manager on a bobbly pitch that the opposition are more in tune with.

Chin up, put in the yards in training and in the next game and on we go.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
First game we were really poor, deserved to lose. It probably "had" to happen some time in this hectic month. Nowhere near our level, too far from the opponent, no pressing (which it seemed like it was our plan, but like Klopp said not long ago, our defensive game when we go back to a zone is still not good enough, especially against sides like Chelsea and Napoli), poor build up and creativity. Napoli were also nothing special in the first half and I expected a reaction from us after the break, but it was nowhere to be seen and they only got better from that point on. Looking at average positions, they played more like 3 at the back, Maksimovic not really going forward from RB, but tucking in to allow Rui to push up and attack the space which can be too big at times for us (especially if the midfield doesn't help and I thought the only player who could held his head high was Gomez), the one between Salah and Trent. Maybe it was also one of those games when Klopp waited a bit too long to make subs (I don't often criticize him for this, but last night there was really nothing from our players). Fill up the midfield, at times have a cage of 4 midfielders which with the full backs made it 6 against our 11 who were not compact enough and scattered all over the place. Overall, they were better than us in things we usually do. Pitch was also absolutely horrendous, what the hell was that? I know their stadium (actual stands) is a ruin, but being a side that proud themselves on the best football in Italy, I'd expect a much better surface. Hopefully this doesn't leave a mark for Sunday because it was not a good game, we made it extra wild for ourselves and kept chasing the ball around without any effect.

Wilkored08

Not me. Mrs CDO is a footy fan too (City). So we sit and watch football together. Not just our games either. If there is a big match on that doesn't involve either of our teams (Chelsea/Spurs the year Leicester won it), then we'll watch it.
Mr Wilkored08, goes and plays on the computer....but inevitably wanders downstairs 'to check on the score'...he did come with me to Anfield, and thoroughly enjoyed himself!

We need to stop babying the daunted front three ( best attack in football) . They are suffering from big heads and limelight lust. Salah and Mane only want to score goals for themselves as I see it. Bobby is just not sharp. Yes they need supply but it becoming easy to defend us when we are relying on speed as a weapon. What does Studge have to do to break into the starting eleven? (cant believe I am saying that ). Very frustrated that the midfield is taking so much crap when the front three are just not electric like last year. Yes it is early , but this is not last year . the team finally has a great CB pairing and a world class keeper,(cant believe I am saying that) and now we have no firepower.

RodM

The morning after...

Still disappointed today - more because of the poor performance than the result. Klopp seems to be taking full responsibility but I'm wondering whether that is because he thinks he got his match tactics wrong or because the players were tied and needed more rotation? For once, maybe the international break can't come soon enough.

On the plus side, the result isn't the end of the world even if we are making life difficult for ourselves. Also Keita isn't seriously injured. I'm wondering what it was - a trapped nerve, maybe? I damaged my coccyx years ago and this can occasionally cause extreme pain with no apparent trigger.

As for the weekend, I think the midfield needs an injection of fresh legs. In fact I can't help but think that something has been missing in the middle since the Ox was injured.

FilthyBloke

I’m over last night. The only thing that annoys me is the lack of plan B during the entire game when it was clear our plan wasn’t working. Substitutions came too late.
Losing in Italy is no disgrace though. It might just be the kick up the ass we need.

pass_and_move

TIA New Signing
We were hanging on by the end and it was only a matter of time before they converted one of their chances. If we were playing for a draw, which we surely we're by the middle of the second half, why not revert to a 4-4-2? Somewhat mystified by the overall performance.

NZred

The Red From NZ
"Potential match-winner Sturridge". Hard to argue you say? Just because he pulled a rabbit out of the hat against Chelsea on the weekend doesn't mean he is going to do the same against Napoli. We were outfought in midfield and lacked the creative spark in the middle of the field, and to put Sturridge in early would not make any difference. The entire team other than Gomez, Van Dijk and Alisson, did fuck all last night and you can't be telling the manager to change all of them. It didn't work because we lost due to one lapsed of concentration for the whole of 90 minute. Not difficult to argue, it's in fact quite easy to argue that we needed someone that isn't on the bench yesterday - a more creative and powerful midfielder (Oxlade-Chamberlain).

We have to go through this some how, and one can only hope after tonight the players and everyone else linked to the club would come back down to earth knowing we are not a finished article just yet. I saw a lot of our players lack ideas on how to break defence down. I saw our forward only keep thinking that nobody could outrun them. I saw our team put in a lot of work with no end product for quite awhile now. The front line and midfield now knows they have very good defensive trio at the back, heavily relied on them while taking their time to sort their own shit out. That to me is the problem. Not in-game subs and management issue.
What's the point in finally having a deep squad if you aren't going to utilize it? Some of the guys last night looked beyond tired. Which is worrying given the season has only just started.

Sorry disagree entirely on that. Klopp should have tried something else in the middle of the park. They had 5 v 3 all night and were running amuck through there all game. It wasn't until the 75th minute he made a change.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Have we been relegated to the Championship? Or is it just all over-reaction?
You don't find it at least a little concerning that our midfield has looked toothless all season and that every single one of our potent front 3 look completely and utterly out of sorts? Or that we haven't won in 3 (could very likely be 4) games and we went 90 minutes in the CL without a single shot on target?

OCred

Like everyone else, I am also sick to my stomach and am angry as hell.

But what is all this shit about Napoli deserving to win. Fuck that, we deserved a draw I says. How many times did we completely dominate teams last season only to lose because the other team got a goal on the few chances they may have had.

So, no Napoli didn’t deserve a win. Draw was ours but we fucked the pooch in the 89 th minute. I want to vomit.

Lynch04

TIA New Signing
True. Keita was completely invisible after being stretchered off on twenty minutes. Unacceptable performance.
Im guessing it is a tongue in cheek comment.
You only quote a section of my post and maybe in my drunken emotional state i didnt explain myself.
To clarify, for 20 minutes until injured, Keita, who has been signed because he is seen as a more technical player and an upgrade on our regular berated midfield 3,was one of our worst performers, turning over possession regularly and in dangerous positions.
But as i said, the comment was most likely tongue in cheek and you know this already.....
In generally we had too many players off the pace. Irrelevant of who they were its a team game. If our midfield has been pulled all over the pitch, it is not necessarily their fault but a fault of the team.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Im guessing it is a tongue in cheek comment.
You only quote a section of my post and maybe in my drunken emotional state i didnt explain myself.
To clarify, for 20 minutes until injured, Keita, who has been signed because he is seen as a more technical player and an upgrade on our regular berated midfield 3,was one of our worst performers, turning over possession regularly and in dangerous positions.
But as i said, the comment was most likely tongue in cheek and you know this already.....
In generally we had too many players off the pace. Irrelevant of who they were its a team game. If our midfield has been pulled all over the pitch, it is not necessarily their fault but a fault of the team.
But his withdrawal puts his performance in some kind of context though. As he was already carrying some back pain into the game it is hardly surprising he was struggling.

sms1986

We deserved to lose, but I don't think one defeat in the group will be too much of a concern. We have the two games against Red Star next, with the first at Anfield and RS don't do well on their travels. The fact that we took three points off of PSG will help us massively.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Well now, this is surprising....
Klopp points out Liverpool’s behind-the-scenes problems from Napoli defeat
“The day was completely different, we couldn’t train in the morning because Napoli did not give us a pitch,” said Klopp. “We are used to that though, we like that, so we talked about a few things without training on the pitch. We had a chance to talk about tactical things. That was different.

“We were in the hotel for the whole day. We couldn’t go for a walk in Naples as the police told us not to walk in front of the hotel.

“It’s not an excuse, it’s just that it was different. Then the performance was like it was.”

Lynch04

TIA New Signing
But his withdrawal puts his performance in some kind of context though. As he was already carrying some back pain into the game it is hardly surprising he was struggling.
I disagree with this. Is it common knowledge he was suffering from a back injury beforehand? If so why hasnt Keita come forward and say he is struggling/why has klopp risked him.
In the end my comment wasnt aimed at singling Keita out, he excites me as a player. My point was that a lot of people were pinning our performance on the usual characters.
In my opinion, it was just a bad day. The midfield 3 who ever they were would have struggled. Like Klopp said we were poor in our defensive movement.
I just hope its a reality check and we use it to our benefit

Commando

[email protected]

The biggest 3 religion worldwide Christ,Muslim,LFC
When you are playing away in what was a blooooody tough match for the players, coming away with a draw would have been great. Sure Napoli killed us across the park but its not like they had 50 chances on our goal. The game was decided in the 90th minute. Bringing on attackers (who all are not the best pressers) would have been utterly stupid, particularly with how well Napoli were isolating our forwards.

As for the performance, I doubt Klopp instructed the CB's and keeper to give the ball back to them every time we won a free kick in our back half (*cut to replay of free kick, then back to match* 'oh they are already ontop of our goal again..'), or for Robbo to clear the ball to the edge of the penalty box to an isolated Napoli player. Unfortunately our players lost their heads tonight.

The good news is Klopp is a master of dragging down a team to our level when we aren't playing well. Let's see what he can muster on the w/e.
Mate i made a Point that we played not good enough to win it but like someone wrote above i Quoted that pointing my view that we must not make big decisions after 1 game cheers

Limiescouse

I thought there was. I’ve heard before that we’ve been obliged to let opponent train at Anfield.
You're supposed to get a short amount of time in the stadium within a set number of hours of kick off. Typically only short enough to be able to do some walk throughs, typically the morning of the game, but it is a requirement. There must be some caveats I am not aware of that came into play.

hoosierred

They couldn't let us on the pitch before the game. We would have gotten in the way of the couple dozen people they had digging it up with hoes to make sure it was completely unplayable for the game.

jaffod

Sounds like the sort of shithousery that was commonplace when we first started competing in Europe in the sixties.

We should do everything within our powers to make their stay in Liverpool as unpleasant and awkward as possible. But we wont, we'll bend over backwards to accommodate them, because we're Liverpool.