• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Napoli v Liverpool (UCL 3/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Milner (off 75’)

• Wijnaldum

• Keita (off 18’)

• Salah

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane (off 87’)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Henderson (on 18’)

• Fabinho (on 75’)

• Sturridge (on 87’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Come on. We had a bad night, but there is no way we can be described as rubbish. That’s nonsense.
We have not played a complete game in a while - last genuinely solid performance was against Spurs, which was impressive because we never seemed to get out of third gear. We have not been in third gear since.

I was thinking that Salah just needed to get some miles under his legs, play through a slump, but it is worse than that. I now think he needs to come off the bench a couple of times, face some tiring defenders, and rebuild his confidence. He is a passenger right now.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I disagree, Gini was nowhere, Milner got bypassed.. Henderson was ok, but we know his limitations.. Im so sick of seeing these 3 play together they are like clones of each other. Functional and hardworking, Klopp needs to wake up and change it up, play Shaqiri as the 10 for example.

Salah was fucking abysmal, not only shit in attack he left Trent 2 v 1 all game. Saying that though the front 3 had no support, so they got double teamed all the time. It has to be fatigue as it was always our front 3 on their own, no fullback overlapping, no midfield joining late.

Why do we have a squad if it isn’t used.. The subs were just baffling 87th minute for Sturridge? Utterly pointless.
He did he started with keita :rolleyes:

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Not to mention the Ref. Napoli are an ugly team. Do small fouls which refs tend to ignore or miss.
Bottom line is we were poor; very poor. You can't blame the ref.

We will be alright a very bad day at the office - It happens.

Roll on Sunday

Macolfc

Why do we have a squad if it isn’t used.. The subs were just baffling 87th minute for Sturridge? Utterly pointless.
Klopps subs have always been quite shite, it’s like he doesn’t want to use them. Waits to long until they become ineffective, unless your Sturridge ofcourse & blast a screamer into the top corner

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Credit Ancelotti. That was one of the best tactical performances I've seen against us for a very long time. They just completely shut us down. Swamped us when we got possession in their half and isolated the front 3 by keeping us pinned back for long periods. Looked like we'd got away with it but it would have been an undeserved point.

Both full backs had really poor games and that didn't help. Can't remember a time recently when a team had so much joy against us down the flanks. The CBs and Alisson were excellent and saved us from a thrashing.

A weirdly dysfunctional performance from us but Napoli were great tonight. Tactical masterclass from them and they fully deserved the win.

Red Ted

I'll say it.
Midfield simply not good enough this evening or in the last 2-3 games. Front three aren't getting a shout because we aren't getting a grip of the middle. You can run all you like but at the end of the day you need to be able pass it to each other every now and then. That starts in midfield.
The thing is when the midfield do keep hold of it (which they didn't do well at all tonight) and get it forward then the front 3 just lose it, it's a shit situation, the front 3 didn't really rely on the midfield last season to do what they done.

We could really do with playing some of the dregs of our league asap to try and find that mojo again.

johnoleary

Gomez put the rest of our outfield players to shame tonight when you consider his age and relative inexperience. Along with Alisson and van Dijk that is all that kept the final scoreline down to 1-0.

Make no mistake 1-0 flatters us. We were lucky to get nil.

Our midfield and front 3 were woeful tonight and there is clearly something wrong. For the midfield, I suspect that fatigue might have played a part and Keita’s early injury clearly didn’t help. As for the front 3 well I haven’t got a clue what the problem is.

Koulibaly was on an early yellow and very lucky not to get a second but we never really exploited that. At the very least Anne Shalotti should have been put under pressure to pull him off. Their defence was unbalanced but you would never have known that. Quite frankly, our front 3 were clueless. Robertson and TAA are just not at the level they were last season. They’re not poor but they are not as dynamic or incisive.

Salah needs a rest but who do you bring in? Sturridge is clearly being carefully ‘managed’, rightly so for pretty obvious reasons. We don’t want to throw that away and risk him getting injured otherwise we really will have problems.

Aldo is saying on LFCTV that there was no ‘fight’ tonight and I have to say that I agree with him. That, more than anything tonight, is really worrying. Quite honestly we looked knackered.

We shouldn’t overreact because it was one game but a lot of what was wrong tonight has been bubbling under the surface at times this season.
its pretty sad isnt it that after around 9 games of the season we are knackered,we are talking about a team of supposedly super fit players all rated in their millions not a bunch of 50 year olds on 20 cigs a day!

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
I wouldn't want some of you near emergency exits on planes.
lel

I'm that guy that tries to grab his bag from the overhead locker and then heads for the exit at the front of the plane (because it's the one I came in through) rather than the other one two rows back.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Credit Ancelotti. That was one of the best tactical performances I've seen against us for a very long time. They just completely shut us down. Swamped us when we got possession in their half and isolated the front 3 by keeping us pinned back for long periods. Looked like we'd got away with it but it would have been an undeserved point.

Both full backs had really poor games and that didn't help. Can't remember a time recently when a team had so much joy against us down the flanks. The CBs and Alisson were excellent and saved us from a thrashing.

A weirdly dysfunctional performance from us but Napoli were great tonight. Tactical masterclass from them and they fully deserved the win.
I think the fullbacks were really the critical point of failure, going both ways. In the attack, they were seldom able to provide wide possession to stretch the Napoli defence and create interior space. Defensively, well,...ugh. Been a while.

RedForever2014

We look knackered, but that's because we've not been able to rotate.

The new midfielders haven't been able to yet contribute, yet we lost Can, Coutinho and Oxlade from this time last year.

The front three are off it, but no same level and type options are there.

macca1970

That was a poor lethargic performance. Never got going at any stage of the game. Couldn’t see out the final 5 mins, where if we did, could have come back with an undeserved point and moved on. After Napoli drawing their first game against Red Star, a point here would’ve seen us in a comfortable position.

We’ve all been saying we have a strong bench, but it seems like we have overplayed a few of the first eleven and the exhaustion has caught up. The front three were off in this game, although Mane put up some fight. Unfortunate that the two times he managed to break away, he got fouled with no yellow cards from the ref compounding it. Salah did nothing of note (nice play by Ospina twice coming off his line), and Firmino was crowded out in the middle. Napoli played a back three with their wingbacks pushed up. I would’ve liked our full backs to keep their position more, and for Salah and Mane to take up the positions wide behind their wingbacks.

Keita coming off was a blow, as Gini/Milner/Henderson needs some rotation. Fabinho needs to be integrated quickly , as Lallana/Ox/Keita are injured.
Two losses and a draw in the last three games, but the two against Chelsea were okay performances. The weekend sees Man City, and we need to put this game behind us and go all out.

Too many players below performance in this game. The only positives were Gomez and Allison. The defence did okay, although I thought TAA should’ve been subbed as he didn’t really offer much either going forward or at the back (though he never had full support). Clyne needs to be introduced to prevent burn out. Trent has been overplayed imo. When he did get forward, he made the wrong options (such as trying a cute dink into the front when an easy pass was available).

johnoleary

It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive. We were crap, but the ref was also crap - allowing Napoli to get away with niggly little momentum killing fouls all game.
wouldnt have made any difference we still would have got beat.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
What were his options, bring on Fabinho?
Shaqiri or Fabinho. Im surprised he didnt start Fabinho over Milner or Gini who are being overplayed.
Likewise why is Shaqiri not starting over Salah?

Dangerous game not playing form players, and Salah is bang out of it and Shaqiri isnt. Agree with other comments in here, give Salah time at the end vs tired defenders. He was a liability tonight.

Serdar Ekrem İleri

Gerrard Generation
Would you not say the Chelsea game was a slap in the face? Especially after been up 1-0 with 10 to play.[/QUOWe
Well , we actually played OK in the Chelsea games , tonight was different i think we had no direct shoots at the goal, WTF ! So tonight was the real slap; very bad performance combined with 3 dropped points.

kwala

TIA Regular
You shoulda just plonked him in front of the game. He woulda been asleep ages ago...
She watched first 15. Was a poor game so bed was in order! Perhaps watching that would have been better, but she had already started singing Liverpool songs! Lol. She watched the first half of our knockout round games last season, and became a proper little liverpool fan as a result! Now if I'm watching footy she asks "is it a special game daddy?" lol. Hopefully we have a good run of special games come the business end of the season.

Flobs

FADA
1st half was complete rubbish from both teams, not one attempt at goal that I can remember. I did notice the pitch was in a pityful state (about the only thing that interested me for 45 mins.
2nd half was Ancelotti's. That 3-5-2 formation caused us no end of problems out wide I was surprised we kept it to just 1-0.
Tactically Klopp was well beaten, he needed to put a 10 on to help Firmino cope with Napoli's 2DM's. Our midfield got spanked as they wouldn't commit to the flanks. Mané excepted our forwards were useless in that role (Firmino did his usual defensive stint though).
We deserved to lose, even if we put the effort in Klopp let us get tactically over run. Asking your midfield to close down 2 DM's is asking for trouble. Having said that our midfield and defense did well in the set up we persisted with to keep it to just 1 goal against.
Seeing Sturridge come on for Mané with 3 minutes left was sickening wtf was Klopp thinking?
Any way a good lesson from Ancelotti is nothing to blush about (he's done that to many) so move on and drop Salah for a few games.