• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Napoli v Liverpool (UCL 3/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Milner (off 75’)

• Wijnaldum

• Keita (off 18’)

• Salah

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane (off 87’)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Henderson (on 18’)

• Fabinho (on 75’)

• Sturridge (on 87’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
She watched first 15. Was a poor game so bed was in order! Perhaps watching that would have been better, but she had already started singing Liverpool songs! lol. She watched the first half of our knockout round games last season, and became a proper little liverpool fan as a result! Now if I'm watching footy she asks "is it a special game daddy?" lol. Hopefully we have a good run of special games come the business end of the season.
haha...awesome!

And sorry!!!

For some reason I just assumed boy...very rude of me!

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Only caught the last 10 minutes which was dogshit. And from what I gather the rest was pretty much the same.

Can't really explain it either, its like they never showed up. Klopp will have his hands full for the weekend.

Serdar Ekrem İleri

Gerrard Generation
Credit Ancelotti. That was one of the best tactical performances I've seen against us for a very long time. They just completely shut us down. Swamped us when we got possession in their half and isolated the front 3 by keeping us pinned back for long periods. Looked like we'd got away with it but it would have been an undeserved point.

Both full backs had really poor games and that didn't help. Can't remember a time recently when a team had so much joy against us down the flanks. The CBs and Alisson were excellent and saved us from a thrashing.

A weirdly dysfunctional performance from us but Napoli were great tonight. Tactical masterclass from them and they fully deserved the win.
The worst part of it is , many teams now will just copy what Napoli did tonight....

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Shaqiri or Fabinho. Im surprised he didnt start Fabinho over Milner or Gini who are being overplayed.
Likewise why is Shaqiri not starting over Salah?

Dangerous game not playing form players, and Salah is bang out of it and Shaqiri isnt. Agree with other comments in here, give Salah time at the end vs tired defenders. He was a liability tonight.
I thought Fabinho might have started; Shaqiri for Salah I agree.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I thought Fabinho might have started; Shaqiri for Salah I agree.
Im just a bit puzzled, we finally have a quality squad and its not being used.. 3-0 up at Southampton and not one of our front 3 gets rested. Tonight was all down to fatigue, and its a huge worry with City coming up Saturday.. The one team you do not want to be left chasing shadows against.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Credit Ancelotti. That was one of the best tactical performances I've seen against us for a very long time. They just completely shut us down. Swamped us when we got possession in their half and isolated the front 3 by keeping us pinned back for long periods. Looked like we'd got away with it but it would have been an undeserved point.

Both full backs had really poor games and that didn't help. Can't remember a time recently when a team had so much joy against us down the flanks. The CBs and Alisson were excellent and saved us from a thrashing.

A weirdly dysfunctional performance from us but Napoli were great tonight. Tactical masterclass from them and they fully deserved the win.
Yeah, you have to give them a lot of credit. They looked already good in the first half I thought, but were wasteful with the last pass to finish off their attacking moves. Then, they really stepped it up in the second half. Of course, our players unforcedly losing the ball in the last thirty-fourty yards time and time again helped them to get in the flow.

At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world. We won the game against PSG in the last minute, and lost this one in the last minute too. We sit on three points with the other teams around us, and can get to nine points if we do the job against Red Star in the next two games. But our lads really have to take this game as a lesson. Things won't magically click. They need to make it happen through hard work. That wasn't the case today for all of them.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Napoli were excellent all night, especially Koulibaly and Allan, and Ancelotti had them set up perfectly.

I won’t give Klopp as much stick as others are, as the game didn’t set up the way he’d intended, specifically with the Naby Keita injury. (Dear god, hope it’s not bad). Keita wasn’t actually playing that great, as he had a few misplaced passes of his own in the few minutes before the injury, but he was the only midfielder really driving forward and trying to link up midfield with attack. Oh, how we are missing Ox, or even a fit and firing Lallana, right now.

The only players doing well right now for us are Alisson, Gomez, VVD, and Robertson. Gini, Mane, and Milner started out the season on fire, but now look tired and in need of a rest. Trent looks spent, and isn’t being helped by Salah’s poor play right now. I know that Salah’s not that far off last season’s start in terms of goals/assists, but it’s plain to the eye that he’s not right and a shadow of his best self right now. Shaq should’ve come on for him in the 2nd half.

Pdb1972

I'd agree with this.

Apart from some very brief flashes we have been nowhere near the football from last year.
Shaqiri or Fabinho. Im surprised he didnt start Fabinho over Milner or Gini who are being overplayed.

Dangerous game not playing form players, and Salah is bang out of it and Shaqiri isnt. Agree with other comments in here, give Salah time at the end vs tired defenders. He was a liability tonight.
I can’t believe the difference from last year, no way will we challenge for anything if we keep playing like little girls in the park. Salah pussy footing with the ball and the amount of time we play back side to side then give it away because everyone is scared when they get challenged pants

johnoleary

You don’t sit joint top of the league having played Spurs and Chelsea away from home if you’ve been average.
well in my opinion we do,think our game against spurs was our best perfomance,but we played average against chelsea,and were very lucky to get that late equaliser,and i also dont think chelsea are anything special if hazard dosent turn up they struggle.

Flobs

FADA
What team are we going to line up against city? We just witnessed a very tired first team play in fucking naples, we expect the same team play at their best at maybe the most important game of the season on sunday?
The same but with Sturridge on for Salah.

Red Ted

We have not played a complete game in a while - last genuinely solid performance was against Spurs, which was impressive because we never seemed to get out of third gear. We have not been in third gear since.

I was thinking that Salah just needed to get some miles under his legs, play through a slump, but it is worse than that. I now think he needs to come off the bench a couple of times, face some tiring defenders, and rebuild his confidence. He is a passenger right now.
Agree with all of that.

We can go on about the midfield and rightfully so but our attack is night and day compared to last season, it's now just starting to cost us, if our defence wasn't so good we would've been right in the shit already because as you mention we have only gotton out of 2nd gear briefly this season.

It shouldn't be panic stations yet but there is genuine concern now, it's gone on too long as far as the attack and especially Salah goes, it's hard to believe how shit he's been all season but it's true, he needs dropping sharpish but I think Klopp will give him one more go on the weekend, he should get more space against City but if he carries on like he is in that game I can't see it being very long at all before he's not just rested but dropped.

Flobs

FADA
Well done Napoli . they were the better team tonight
Deserved 3 points for them .
Not the end of the world as i was expecting us to struggle against a good side . this defeat will do us
good as it show where our weakness are : Composure ! .close down our Midfield and we lose the ball instantly .
in the long term , Sprint , distance covered , running like a headless chicken don't beat ability on the ball and intelligence
That's the lesson of the day
on other note , im glad that we are going on sunday with Underdog statue again , that's when we thrive .
There's also tactics. :shocked:

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

At this point in time, Shaq is not really suited as a wide forward for us. The times he has played there he just hasn't looked right. What further backs this up is that Klopp is doing everything within his power to change the formation when he does play so that he can be collecting the ball through the middle of the park. There may be reasons Klopp decided tactically that playing Shaq as a CAM was a bad idea tonight, and him playing as a wide forward was a worse one.

Unfortunately all the evidence suggests that we are a wide forward short again this season. We really need a rotation player for those two roles, and imo Shaq is not that player atm.

SBYM

Ad-free Member
At least Don't Tell the Bride is on the telly to cheer us all up.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
At this point in time, Shaq is not really suited as a wide forward for us. The times he has played there he just hasn't looked right. What further backs this up is that Klopp is doing everything within his power to change the formation when he does play so that he can be collecting the ball through the middle of the park. There may be reasons Klopp decided tactically that playing Shaq as a CAM was a bad idea tonight, and him playing as a wide forward was a worse one.

Unfortunately all the evidence suggests that we are a wide forward short again this season. We really need a rotation player for those two roles, and imo Shaq is not that player atm.
We are only short for injuries though both Lallana and Ox could change this.

C

Caradoc

its pretty sad isnt it that after around 9 games of the season we are knackered,we are talking about a team of supposedly super fit players all rated in their millions not a bunch of 50 year olds on 20 cigs a day!
Sorry, but I just deleted that post. Really not sure what happened tonight with our performance.

Serdar Ekrem İleri

Gerrard Generation
Yeah, you have to give them a lot of credit. They looked already good in the first half I thought, but were wasteful with the last pass to finish off their attacking moves. Then, they really stepped it up in the second half. Of course, our players unforcedly losing the ball in the last thirty-fourty yards time and time again helped them to get in the flow.

At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world. We won the game against PSG in the last minute, and lost this one in the last minute too. We sit on three points with the other teams around us, and can get to nine points if we do the job against Red Star in the next two games. But our lads really have to take this game as a lesson. Things won't magically click. They need to make it happen through hard work. That wasn't the case today for all of them.
What if we dont hit the 9 ? What if we relegate to the Europa League ? I think it might have a real positive side to it : We can actually win it this time,without too much trouble.I would love a European Cup after 13 years.There is a chance that we can win the CL too, but statisticly its very very rare for a team to win the CL after having lost it in the final in the previous season.Anyway I am just speculating scenarios.

SBYM

Ad-free Member
When was the last time we had 0 shots on target?

Last edited:

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Klopp interview just on BT.

Said we weren't good enough and that we could do much better. That's what you want...he's recognised it and said work to be done.

No news on naby yet.
Well good luck, hope wife is doing well - is it a boy or girl>

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Need to play, and play well, at the weekend: Fabinho, Shaq, Sturridge, possibly Clyne.

[email protected]

Klopps in game management was disgraceful of a top level coach. Didn't try anything new, didn't mix up his subs. It was so predictable. Who waits until the 74th and 87th minute to make changes when you're being so badly outplayed?

That really was an embarrassing performance. City will murder us at the week if we play even remotely close to that.[/QUOTE]
M8 we weren t that good today but to attack our Manager that way after a game i guess that s what true fans do so i recommend you to apply for the Manager Job by LFC!

Macolfc

Agree with all of that.

We can go on about the midfield and rightfully so but our attack is night and day compared to last season, it's now just starting to cost us, if our defence wasn't so good we would've been right in the shit already because as you mention we have only gotton out of 2nd gear briefly this season.

It shouldn't be panic stations yet but there is genuine concern now, it's gone on too long as far as the attack and especially Salah goes, it's hard to believe how shit he's been all season but it's true, he needs dropping sharpish but I think Klopp will give him one more go on the weekend, he should get more space against City but if he carries on like he is in that game I can't see it being very long at all before he's not just rested but dropped.

Got to agree with all of this, he won’t drop him for the city game but after that it’s a most unless he puts in some sort of incredible performance. Certainly risks upsetting him but he’s not at the races at all. His first touch & some of his passing is way off.