• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Napoli v Liverpool (UCL 3/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Milner (off 75’)

• Wijnaldum

• Keita (off 18’)

• Salah

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane (off 87’)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Henderson (on 18’)

• Fabinho (on 75’)

• Sturridge (on 87’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
That was dog toss....

Anyhow I think Shaq needs to be reintroduced into that midfield. Salah and Firmino don’t look tired they just look completely off.

As for our performances they have been good but not great, but perhaps this is it, we didn’t really kick on until after Spurs last season, maybe Napoli is that wake up call.

Positive is our defence so far has got us points on the board.

Serdar Ekrem İleri

Gerrard Generation
Klopps in game management was disgraceful of a top level coach. Didn't try anything new, didn't mix up his subs. It was so predictable. Who waits until the 74th and 87th minute to make changes when you're being so badly outplayed?

That really was an embarrassing performance. City will murder us at the week if we play even remotely close to that.
M8 we weren t that good today but to attack our Manager that way after a game i guess that s what true fans do so i recommend you to apply for the Manager Job by LFC![/QUOTE]
Dont worry Klopp probably wont read that comment :-)

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
We are only short for injuries though both Lallana and Ox could change this.
Regardless of the fact Ox is already known to be out for the entire season so he shouldn't really come into it, both those players are makeshift wide forwards at best. I thought Shaq was that player but it seems on the evidence he will be fighting for a spot in the highly competitive midfield. Not exactly what we needed. On the bright side, Sturridge has more than made up for the lack of Fekir (who again on evidence would have played AM or CF). Unfortunately its not really possible to see where players fit until well into the season. Shaq was bought in late july so I doubt even Klopp would really have known where he fit

Umm...sorry...getting sidetracked.

hab88

TIA Reserve Team
When things aren't working out, as they weren't tonight, Klopp needs to be bold enough to make changes, especially when you have good impact players on the bench. Why he continues to persist with Salah who looks bereft of confidence (a lean patch, but he'll get over it) is beyond me. I still think this is the side (Henderson included) that is going to start at Anfield on Sunday, though I'd love to see Sturridge and/or Shaqiri in the side. Even Mane looks off the boil.

Napoli deserved the three points though. Tactically outplayed. Glad Klopp recognises that. That one point would have been a steal. Hopefully the loss shakes the lads out of their stupor.

Was reading somewhere that Ancellotti doesn't know where to stick Hamsik in the side. I think he had a fine game.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Regardless of the fact Ox is already known to be out for the entire season so he shouldn't really come into it, both those players are makeshift wide forwards at best. I thought Shaq was that player but it seems on the evidence he will be fighting for a spot in the highly competitive midfield. Not exactly what we needed. On the bright side, Sturridge has more than made up for the lack of Fekir (who again on evidence would have played AM or CF). Unfortunately its not really possible to see where players fit until well into the season. Shaq was bought in late july so I doubt even Klopp would really have known where he fit

Umm...sorry...getting sidetracked.
Lallana could play wide though, and used to, but I generally agree. Klopp doesnt know quite what to do with Shaqiri, and is therefore reluctant to deploy him. He needs to work on a Plan B; probably the big let down is how slow Keita has been to adapt, he surely couldnt have banked on that. I havent seen anything yet despite the hype.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Well Im surprised by a few posters over reaction to a bad game.

Napoli deserved to win. To be honest they impressed me.
Referee was poor, how Allan and Abiol escaped yellow cards amazes me.
We were poor, Its not one individuals fault just a bad day, i cant remember a game under Klopp where we turned over possession so much.

What really annoys me is people attacking the usual targets mainly our midfield 3. We got out played by a well drilled team, the ball didnt stick up front and our full backs were guilty of giving away possession but people blame the midfield 3 who ran their socks off trying to cover their team mates....

Motm

Gomez
Allison
Mane

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
3 games 2 defeats & a draw. Let’s be honest we where lucky to get the draw as well, could quite easily be 3 loses out of our last 3. Not sure what I’d do with salah, do you drop him to the bench and give Sturridge the start? He’s probably not as effective but on a better run of form than salah is for sure.

Not the easiest run of games we’ve had, but after the performance against PSG we’ve considerably dropped off which is disappointing.

Hopefully get a result against City and kick on.
Oh right so we weren't lucky to lose to Chelsea to 2 late goals in the league cup despite being the better side but we were lucky to get a late draw against Chelsea despite being the better side and missing a host of chances and we weren't unlucky to concede a later winner to Napoli (even if they did deserve to win the game overall)

Barnestormer

Left wing.
@Lynch04 but we didnt even give them a game, thats not perspective, it happened. Otherwise you are right about Napoli discipline. Sometimes our MF is too mechanical and lacks creativity; tonight it was downright bollocksed and lacked creativity.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Yeah, you have to give them a lot of credit. They looked already good in the first half I thought, but were wasteful with the last pass to finish off their attacking moves. Then, they really stepped it up in the second half. Of course, our players unforcedly losing the ball in the last thirty-fourty yards time and time again helped them to get in the flow.

At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world. We won the game against PSG in the last minute, and lost this one in the last minute too. We sit on three points with the other teams around us, and can get to nine points if we do the job against Red Star in the next two games. But our lads really have to take this game as a lesson. Things won't magically click. They need to make it happen through hard work. That wasn't the case today for all of them.
They were very good throughout. Ancelotti is a top manager. I know people will go on about how poor we were and that we were tired and how this player and that player should have started but the fact is that we simply had no clue how to establish any kind of rhythm in this game because they never allowed us to. I kept expecting them to tire but they just got stronger. We needed a formation change rather than a personnel change. The subs made no difference and we were just being pushed further and further back.

I can't remember seeing us that comprehensively out played since the Spurs defeat a year ago. Beaten 4-1 then. Almost got a draw here so progress of sorts I suppose and I don't think the result will be critical for us in CL terms. Not exactly ideal preparation for Sunday though.

I think the fullbacks were really the critical point of failure, going both ways. In the attack, they were seldom able to provide wide possession to stretch the Napoli defence and create interior space. Defensively, well,...ugh. Been a while.
Completely agree. So much of our creativity this season has come from the FBs. They just couldn't get forward in this game and it left the front 3 isolated. So many times Mane got the ball and was immediately swamped by defenders. Salah didn't even get the ball. Very little creativity in that midfield 3 so if you shut down the full backs the front 3 have no supply line. I thought Napoli did that brilliantly tonight.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
Well Im surprised by a few posters over reaction to a bad game.

Napoli deserved to win. To be honest they impressed me.
Referee was poor, how Allan and Abiol escaped yellow cards amazes me.
We were poor, Its not one individuals fault just a bad day, i cant remember a game under Klopp where we turned over possession so much.

What really annoys me is people attacking the usual targets mainly our midfield 3. We got out played by a well drilled team, the ball didnt stick up front and our full backs were guilty of giving away possession but people blame the midfield 3 who ran their socks off trying to cover their team mates....

Motm

Gomez
Allison
Mane
Top post.

I'd reverse Alisson and Joe, but otherwise spot on.

Macolfc

Lallana could play wide though, and used to, but I generally agree. Klopp doesnt know quite what to do with Shaqiri, and is therefore reluctant to deploy him. He needs to work on a Plan B; probably the big let down is how slow Keita has been to adapt, he surely couldnt have banked on that. I havent seen anything yet despite the hype.
Seen a few things from Keita I like, but like you say nothing that really makes me think wow as of yet. As for Lallana, I’ve never really been that impressed with him. Seems like he has quite a few fancy tricks in his pocket but like Keita nothing that amazes me. I wonder what sort of player returns from the injury lay offs

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Two factors:

1. we played it too cautiously, almost like we wanted to get the draw and maybe try to steal it with a breakthrough pass down the middle.
2. we were very much exhausted from the massive effort 4 days ago at the Bridge.

We played our hearts out there and more than deserved a draw against the plastics. So today we played exactly the same team, our main 11 (cause Naby was removed early) and we were definitely exhausted against a team that appeared to be more fit, overall.

It's also likely that when Naby departed that we did not adjust our set up, to accommodate for the naturally, slower effect of having our less than creative midfield trio.

Which is also one of the reasons our forwards are struggling. This midfield is not yet finding them, as we tend to pass backwards more than forward. Especially Hendo, but James and Gini did the same today.

We should have gone for it, and should have played with Shaqiri as the 10, centrally.

Wish the international break had happened before the Chelsea game.....

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Klopps in game management was disgraceful of a top level coach. Didn't try anything new, didn't mix up his subs. It was so predictable. Who waits until the 74th and 87th minute to make changes when you're being so badly outplayed?

That really was an embarrassing performance. City will murder us at the week if we play even remotely close to that.
When you are playing away in what was a blooooody tough match for the players, coming away with a draw would have been great. Sure Napoli killed us across the park but its not like they had 50 chances on our goal. The game was decided in the 90th minute. Bringing on attackers (who all are not the best pressers) would have been utterly stupid, particularly with how well Napoli were isolating our forwards.

As for the performance, I doubt Klopp instructed the CB's and keeper to give the ball back to them every time we won a free kick in our back half (*cut to replay of free kick, then back to match* 'oh they are already ontop of our goal again..'), or for Robbo to clear the ball to the edge of the penalty box to an isolated Napoli player. Unfortunately our players lost their heads tonight.

The good news is Klopp is a master of dragging down a team to our level when we aren't playing well. Let's see what he can muster on the w/e.

Last edited:

Macolfc

Oh right so we weren't lucky to lose to Chelsea to 2 late goals in the league cup despite being the better side but we were lucky to get a late draw against Chelsea despite being the better side and missing a host of chances and we weren't unlucky to concede a later winner to Napoli (even if they did deserve to win the game overall)
Lucky or unlucky, results are results. First half against Chelsea at Anfield we were poor, I was at the game & everyone around agreed. Missed the game at Stamford bridge, but if your getting beat 1-0 & get an equaliser that late on you’ve been lucky to get the point.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
We haven’t been great all season.
Salah and mane look like David ngog and Jermaine pennant all of a sudden.

Milner looks shattered.
TAA seems too hit or miss.

We need energy against city. Personally I’d start Fabinho and Shaqiri.

It’s one gripe I have with klopp is even when it’s obvious we are being overrun and outplayed he doesn’t change things. Napoli fully deserved their win. And they were not great. We were just terrible.

Flobs

FADA
Two factors:

1. we played it too cautiously, almost like we wanted to get the draw and maybe try to steal it with a breakthrough pass down the middle.
2. we were very much exhausted from the massive effort 4 days ago at the Bridge.

We played our hearts out there and more than deserved a draw against the plastics. So today we played exactly the same team, our main 11 (cause Naby was removed early) and we were definitely exhausted against a team that appeared to be more fit, overall.

It's also likely that when Naby departed that we did not adjust our set up, to accommodate for the naturally, slower effect of having our less than creative midfield trio.

Which is also one of the reasons our forwards are struggling. This midfield is not yet finding them, as we tend to pass backwards more than forward. Especially Hendo, but James and Gini did the same today.

We should have gone for it, and should have played with Shaqiri as the 10, centrally.

Wish the international break had happened before the Chelsea game.....
Point 1. is what I was thinking for nearly all the match (up until Ancelotti made his subs then we looked like we would lose and clinging on for a draw looked like a waste of time).

jaffod

That free-kick we got near the end was a great opportunity to take the sting out the game but nobody wanted it and nobody made themselves available. Summed up the night for me.
We put in too many performances over a season where we look like 11 strangers who've never played football before. Tonight was one of them x10. It's basically why we don't win things anymore. I find it almost mind-blowing how those same players can play PSG off the pitch and then put in a performance like that.
Bad preparation for Sunday that. We bought a new midfield in the summer but it looks fucking threadbare already. After the City game we need to fuck these internationals off, pull as many players as we can and re-group. Despite our points tally we've been average most of the season and it's caught up with us the last week.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Don’t know whether it was only a bad day in the office or our players are running out of gas. That was one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from LFC. So much missed passes all over the field. Movement was terrible.
I thought Klopp would go for a draw.
I don’t understand why Klopp didn’t bring in Shaq and why Studge came on so late.
Another such a bad presentation against City and they will rip us apart.
Totally disappointed.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I do wonder whether there is a niggling injury with Keita that we don't know about (apart from the one tonight :-(). At the start of the season he was fantastic with how he closed down players and intercepted passes, and his reading of the opposition movements and when to press is exceptional. But something hasn't been quite right. In the League Cup game I would go so far as to say he was lazy with how he let Chelsea isolate the LB. So something's not right there and my first guess is fitness, but it could be anything. How well is he fitting in at Liverpool in his every day life? None of us know. There usually is an adjustment period. But I personally have seen enough flashes of brilliance to see how he will fit in.

At the start of every season half our fanbase shits its dacks when City or Chelsea or United have been busy in the transfer market, talking about team X running away with the league based on their signings. Well I think its pretty rare that a club can buy a number of big name signings and all of them click. There are lifestyle adjustments, language issues, chemistry required within the team, before we even get into how they fit in a positional sense. We have gone and done a City/United and for some important positions like the GK it has worked out exceptionally, but most others not so much, as is the case in most teams. Season 2 after an influx of new signings is usually where things start to click.

redaderry

Bad day at the office, sure when did we ever do Europe the easy way.
We'll get through the group ok, could be worse, could be Spuds.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I only hope this is the shot across the bows, like the 4-1 drubbing to Spurs last season. We are not the finished article and every player needs to be 100% focused and up for the fight every second of every game.

I’d rather we lost this and got our shit together for City.. play like this on sat we will be embarrassed.