• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Napoli v Liverpool (UCL 3/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Milner (off 75’)

• Wijnaldum

• Keita (off 18’)

• Salah

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane (off 87’)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Henderson (on 18’)

• Fabinho (on 75’)

• Sturridge (on 87’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lynch04

Smeg Head
@Lynch04 but we didnt even give them a game, thats not perspective, it happened. Otherwise you are right about Napoli discipline. Sometimes our MF is too mechanical and lacks creativity; tonight it was downright bollocksed and lacked creativity.
I agree completely about not giving them a game but thats not the midfield 3s fault. You say the midfield is mechanical yet a player brought last January Keita for his creativity was possibly our worst performer.
What people need to understand is that for any player to be creative in terms off passing they need an option. We lacked that and when the ball went forward it came back.
My main concern with the game is that when Firmino is having an off day it severly disrupts our game

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Lucky or unlucky, results are results. First half against Chelsea at Anfield we were poor, I was at the game & everyone around agreed. Missed the game at Stamford bridge, but if your getting beat 1-0 & get an equaliser that late on you’ve been lucky to get the point.
So Chelsea were lucky to beat us in the league cup and Napoli were lucky to best us tonight

Lynch04

Smeg Head
The building manager at work is a Villa fan. Lovely bloke, just a really nice guy.

There were a few cabbage jokes doing the rounds today...plenty of laughs...then they sacked him, and we're all like...

:eh?:
Being from Birmingham i know alot of Villa fans in particular my brother. Lets just say its been an amusing 24hrs

Flobs

FADA
I noticed some are critical of TAA and Robertson. For me they did one hell of a job and are probably the main factor behind us only losing 1-0. Ancelotti over powered us out wide realising that our midfield would be worrying about other stuff that wasn't there. How TAA and Robertson managed for so long is what leaves me wondering. They must be really good players and a s fit as fiddles to do what they did tonight.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
We looked tired from the first minute. A riduclously heavy pitch, pub team fouls not given by the ref and a hostile home crowd don't help but I do worry that we don't have the strength in depth to keep up our pressing style for a 40 plus game season if we already look knackered.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
The building manager at work is a Villa fan. Lovely bloke, just a really nice guy.

There were a few cabbage jokes doing the rounds today...plenty of laughs...then they sacked him, and we're all like...

:eh?:

what?

the building manager got sacked just for being a villa fan?

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Very disappointing night. Not at the races at all. I really hope the energy levels are back s Sunday as we will get destroyed by city of we play like that. Also it's a disgrace that napoli priced out their supporter or that they didn't turn up.

The Flying Pig

We played like a team that's been reading in the papers about how good it is.
The midfield was casual and sloppy. The basics were forgotten and we got what we deserved ....a kick up the arse.
There were some decent defensive performances but not a single shot on target tells you all you need to know about the attack.
The good news is that tonight should not be fatal to our CL campaign and the kick up the arse will hopefully have done us good.
Big game at the weekend .....let's forget tonights performance...onwards and upwards

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
We got exactly what we deserved tonight, that was a shocking performance! In my opinion, Allison, VVD and Gomez were the only players who came out of that game with any credit. Maybe Robertson also.
How anybody can say Alexander Arnold played well is beyond me, he was fucking woeful. Repeatedly caught out of position and wasteful with his passes, but he wasn’t the only one.
After the Chelsea game, I said that the front three need to buck up, not fuck up! They were shambolic! If we play like that on Sunday, City will well and truly rip us a new one!

Princeob

I think mane and Salah would be advised by Klopp to stop that unhealthy competition to get the team back on scoring terms. Our goal are not forthcoming. We still did great. Allez the REDs.
YNWA

Red over the water

It’s a long season and games like this can help, if we respond in the right way. The group stage is finely balanced with three good teams and only two will progress. Hopefully we are professional in the games against Red Star Belgrade and then all of a sudden it might look (almost) like a foregone conclusion that we will qualify. Not a good night, but not necessarily disastrous.

As we look forward to the Man City game, with two losses and a draw in the last three, all of a sudden a difficult game looks harder again, as another loss could really put a few question marks over the early optimism. Hopefully the team respond and find better form.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
They were very good throughout. Ancelotti is a top manager. I know people will go on about how poor we were and that we were tired and how this player and that player should have started but the fact is that we simply had no clue how to establish any kind of rhythm in this game because they never allowed us to. I kept expecting them to tire but they just got stronger. We needed a formation change rather than a personnel change. The subs made no difference and we were just being pushed further and further back.

I can't remember seeing us that comprehensively out played since the Spurs defeat a year ago. Beaten 4-1 then. Almost got a draw here so progress of sorts I suppose and I don't think the result will be critical for us in CL terms. Not exactly ideal preparation for Sunday though.

Completely agree. So much of our creativity this season has come from the FBs. They just couldn't get forward in this game and it left the front 3 isolated. So many times Mane got the ball and was immediately swamped by defenders. Salah didn't even get the ball. Very little creativity in that midfield 3 so if you shut down the full backs the front 3 have no supply line. I thought Napoli did that brilliantly tonight.
One of the real worries now is that a lot of other managers will have seen that. Having a crappy pitch and pinning back the full backs while sitting on the forwards doesn't require the best personnel. Until we manage to establish some more flowing attacks in behind the opposing wide players to pressure the opposing fullbacks, I think we are going to see variations on that template - quite possibly as soon as this weekend.

Always a real danger when facing one of the genuine masters like Ancelotti, not only can they take the points, but they show others how to do it.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Was driving in to work this morning listening to Klopp's pre-match presser and couldn't help but think he sounded...off. the media were asking him questions about his last visit there, his suspension came up. Ancelotti's comment us. Fully playing the game, was the first time I noticed Klopp have an edge to him. In a bad way.

He got played today by an master.

Clearly we have a blind spot for a back3. Chelsea deployed it and killed us. Napoli ran us ragged. They passed around our press until we just stopped doing it properly, overloaded our midfielders and then pushed out wide to bring the ball back in.

Insigne is an excellent footballer who excels on playing off the back shoulder of the CB and he ruthlessly picked on TAA in this match, who kept committing far too high. Napoli played with width, and tight to the man not allowing them to turn. Carlos knew that we had ZERO threat up the middle, as did Sarri. For certain they were swapping notes. So defensively they utilized Milik to block the vertical pass to Firmino and cut the passing lanes in the corners. Effectively eliminating the supply lines.

Credit where it is due. When Keita was on the pitch at least he can run at the defenders but once Henderson came on we were done and dusted for creativity

Anyone else want to buy Koulibaly??? I have liked Insigne for a while but he won't leave.

Going back to sleep (slept through first half and just finished the match, damned flu)

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
One of the real worries now is that a lot of other managers will have seen that. Having a crappy pitch and pinning back the full backs while sitting on the forwards doesn't require the best personnel. Until we manage to establish some more flowing attacks in behind the opposing wide players to pressure the opposing fullbacks, I think we are going to see variations on that template - quite possibly as soon as this weekend.

Always a real danger when facing one of the genuine masters like Ancelotti, not only can they take the points, but they show others how to do it.
Absolutely. When they know our CM aren't strong on the ball then they can choke the life out of the wings and hit us on the counter.

Unfortunately we are so committed to the 4-3-3 in players we couldn't even attempt a 4-4-2 if we wanted. Nobody to play the wide roles...Milner at LM may be our only shout?

Games like we just witnessed, would have liked to see Mo tucking inside to link up with Bobby but he persisted way outside where he couldn't get the ball

Last edited:

dockers_strike

I noticed some are critical of TAA and Robertson. For me they did one hell of a job and are probably the main factor behind us only losing 1-0. Ancelotti over powered us out wide realising that our midfield would be worrying about other stuff that wasn't there. How TAA and Robertson managed for so long is what leaves me wondering. They must be really good players and a s fit as fiddles to do what they did tonight.
Im sorry Trent and Robbo really did not do one hell of a job tonight. They were both poor and have been in a few games, especially Trent. The real saviours tonight were Gomez, Alisson and van Dijk. Everyone else had a piss poor game, even Jurgen.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
Very disappointing, not even angry at the last minute goal because we were fortunate enough it was still 0-0 at that point. Midfield was being bypassed from the first half, never a good sign, a missing link was badly needed tonight. Feet back on the ground indeed, not sure what to expect on sunday.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Way to pedestrian all around. Too many workman like midfielders in our squad and on the pitch at the same time. We desperately need a top drawer midfielder who can control the game and can thread a pass through the eye of a needle. Someone like De Bruyne.

Like many, thought the ref was shite and the pitch a disgrace, but that only contributed to the loss. We were beaten at our own game, getting pressed high up the pitch and given no time on the ball.

Need to sharpen up big time by Sunday.

Gazmaninaus

I thought it was probably the poorest performance I can remember. For a long time. When you consider how poor Napoli has been so far this season. I can’t remember a game where we didn’t have a meaningful shot on target. The team looks spent. Even with the early forced change our next sub was 74 minutes. Then around 85+. We talk about depth but it’s not evident from Klopp. He is currently flogging dead horses. Anyone who can see that Salah. Henderson. Milner. TAA and others are shagged. The only two we really have in depth is Sturridge and Shaq at the moment. Fab is off the pace and Keita has been so so. Even today. I heard he made 9 passes and lost the ball 5 times. I know he was only on for a short time but at this level that’s poor. We are going to do it tough on Sunday as that is our starting 11 and as I said some seriously need a break.

jaffod

Annoying that a point last night and a couple of wins against Red Star would possibly have seen us through. Now we can't rest anyone and there's a real chance we'll have to take something from the last game to qualify.

A lot of people are saying our players look 'gassed' already. If that's the case they're in the wrong fucking job.

Gazmaninaus

I think 4 games in about 10 days would bugger anyone. And that doesn’t take into account the returning WC players. Most of who have played the last 4. Even most of our entire season so far.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I feel we need someone in midfield who likes to kick people back without being seen,a bit of a "i fucking told ya i'd get ya" kind of player,we're far too polite.
Are you volunteering your services...because if i had to vote for one forum member other than myself for that role it would be you. Your ‘Da Man’ agent SJ007 kick away and say hello to Miss Moneypenny for me.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
We played like a team that's been reading in the papers about how good it is.
The midfield was casual and sloppy. The basics were forgotten and we got what we deserved ....a kick up the arse.
There were some decent defensive performances but not a single shot on target tells you all you need to know about the attack.
The good news is that tonight should not be fatal to our CL campaign and the kick up the arse will hopefully have done us good.
Big game at the weekend .....let's forget tonights performance...onwards and upwards
Apart from singling out the midfield a good post and pretty much how i see it. Additionally we looked Jaded. As you say onwards and upwards

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Pretty ordinary display, worst I can remember in a while. Just have to put our hands up and say we got beaten by a better team on the day and move on to the City game.

As long as performances like these don't become the norm we will be fine.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Was driving in to work this morning listening to Klopp's pre-match presser and couldn't help but think he sounded...off. the media were asking him questions about his last visit there, his suspension came up. Ancelotti's comment us. Fully playing the game, was the first time I noticed Klopp have an edge to him. In a bad way.

He got played today by an master.
I watched Jürgen's post game presser and I thought similar. He was one part despondent, one part agitated. I didn't expect him to be full of joy or ready for a big gala party but he was not his usual self. An Italian reporter pointed out a statistic that Liverpool were held without a scoring chance in the second half and followed by asking if he thought Napoli won because of a strong defensive gameplan. Jürgen answered sardonically or mockingly: "Napoli won because they scored a goal". Felt a little unnecessary.

Yes, we go again with TONS of football left to play and I am still as full of hope as ever for this season because I believe in this group. But to pretend there isn't trouble brewing is just burying your head in the sand. That's not an overreaction either. And no chance in hell do I believe anyone in this side is tired, it's the first week of October. These are highly conditioned professional athletes. It was just an absolute poor effort today (from everyone not named Alisson, Joe or Virgil) and a very strange gameplan.