Post Match: Napoli v Liverpool (UCL 3/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Milner (off 75’)

• Wijnaldum

• Keita (off 18’)

• Salah

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane (off 87’)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Henderson (on 18’)

• Fabinho (on 75’)

• Sturridge (on 87’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Are you volunteering your services...because if i had to vote for one forum member other than myself for that role it would be you. Your ‘Da Man’ agent SJ007 kick away and say hello to Miss Moneypenny for me.
Not in a Vinny Jones style, more like a Pujols (I am gonna steamroll you) kind of tackle. I love playing FB/CB because I very little happens behind your back.

YNWA-HM

Had a feeling we'd drop back down to earth eventually. Kind of wish the international break came before the city game cause I don't think we're ready.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I think like many here, I am not as disappointed by the loss to Napoli but more in regards to next week, and how we viewed this season so far.

7 wins, after each one the same mantra, composed and with tge front 3 still not there. A loss and draw against Chelsea, a loss to Napoli, and City in 3 days awaits.

I think it is time to look in the mirror and say, we have a problem. Maybe teams learned how to handle our front three, maybe orginizing the back and midfield somehow hurt our break neck attack, maybe it's world cup fatigue, I don't know.
I am honestly believe we have a team that can and should compete for every title/cup out there. The players are good enough, the squad is deep enough, the solution is there.

I do think Klopp is not rotating the players enough. Milner is after all human, TAA is still a kid, and the front 3 are allowed to miss a match without having an eye pulled out.

The most positive thing in this situation is the players still running their socks off, giving everything they have.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think the fullbacks were really the critical point of failure, going both ways. In the attack, they were seldom able to provide wide possession to stretch the Napoli defence and create interior space. Defensively, well,...ugh. Been a while.
Yeah our fullbacks were really bad last night. Contributed nothing going forward and cannot keep their wingers at bay as soon as Ancelotti switched the flanks using left footer as left wing, and right footer sitting at right wing. Body language from Alexander-Arnold last night was telling though.

NZred

The Red From NZ
So with Liverpool playing as poorly as we have seen in 2018, why did Jurgen Klopp not react? Why – with nothing in red working barring a central defence that was working tirelessly and near-miraculously to keep out Napoli – did Klopp not make a single unforced substitution until the 75th minute? Why did potential match-winner Sturridge remain on the bench until the final seconds? Why – with the midfield looking so devoid of ideas – did Xherdan Shaqiri remain on the bench all night? The game was crying out for invention from somebody not wearing blue.
Really really fucking hard to argue with this. Klopp deserves a severe lambasting.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Really really fucking hard to argue with this. Klopp deserves a severe lambasting.
"Potential match-winner Sturridge". Hard to argue you say? Just because he pulled a rabbit out of the hat against Chelsea on the weekend doesn't mean he is going to do the same against Napoli. We were outfought in midfield and lacked the creative spark in the middle of the field, and to put Sturridge in early would not make any difference. The entire team other than Gomez, Van Dijk and Alisson, did fuck all last night and you can't be telling the manager to change all of them. It didn't work because we lost due to one lapsed of concentration for the whole of 90 minute. Not difficult to argue, it's in fact quite easy to argue that we needed someone that isn't on the bench yesterday - a more creative and powerful midfielder (Oxlade-Chamberlain).

We have to go through this some how, and one can only hope after tonight the players and everyone else linked to the club would come back down to earth knowing we are not a finished article just yet. I saw a lot of our players lack ideas on how to break defence down. I saw our forward only keep thinking that nobody could outrun them. I saw our team put in a lot of work with no end product for quite awhile now. The front line and midfield now knows they have very good defensive trio at the back, heavily relied on them while taking their time to sort their own shit out. That to me is the problem. Not in-game subs and management issue.

maxpain17

Didn't watched the game last night , but going through all the comments seems like it was real tough game from us tonight.
Some even said this was one of our worst performance in a long time...i wudn't comment on that unless I have seen the replay.

But somethings look like a repeat of last season. If you noticed the games last season especially when our front 3 didn't create enough on their own...there was hardly any creativity from the midfield and because of that ...each time our front 3 struggled last season.
The midfield of Millie, Hendo and Gini are great for pressing and adding steel, but the major problem of last season was we knew they will never be the core outlet of a goal being created by a through ball or a slide through pass across the field for our front 3. It was always loop it forward or cross and hope one of our front 3 do their magic.

I guess this is where Coutinho's magic was sometimes really important as he could get you out of these situations when the opposition has stifled our front 3 or our front 3 are having a bad day.I was hoping Fekir in the summer will be that replacement. Unfortunately, there's no point dwelling over it now...but we do would better with a player like him than Shaq I am afraid right now. I really hope we go for him in January. But it does look he will be off to Chelski now , especially after putting him self on show against man city.

Lastly, In term of subs and tactics, I think not having Buvac does has it effects sometimes now as he was more of a reactive person especially, in situations like that where you need to push for a sub. I think our Boss now prefers to take calculated risks the way subs are done at 75 and 85-90 min mark. I know we have ljinders and other coaching staff...but I have my doubt they challenge Klopp as much as Buvac used to do to give him a point to think about. But then I may be completely wrong about this...

I also think we have rushed our front 3 back too soon after the world cup and a break of 2 weeks will bring them a world of good. Its not they have forgotten how to play football or suddenly don't know where each one of them is making runs. The problem arises more because of a lack of outlet from midfield when the front 3 are not working. Unfortunately, this is a recurring problem for last season and may be we need to bite the bullet and give Fabinho some game time to atleast spray some balls around and add some guile in midfield.

TheSweetSilverSong

Had we had played well, I'd have less problem with the result. This past few games were never going to be all wins, and had you given me Wins vs Spurs, Southampton and PSG and a draw at Stamford Bridge vs Chelsea, and two defeats vs Napoli away in CL and Chelsea in League Cup, I'd have taken it beforehand. As long as we win/don't lose vs City. But the performance is the worrying factor. In the defeat vs Chelsea it was a second string back 5 and only 3 starters, so to me it's just that, it wasn't our first team's result.
But Napoli here out-pressed us, out-passed us, and rendered us toothless all game long. Klopp tactically lost the battle vs Ancelotti, who came really prepared for this (had they not won, I think they'd have faced a very much impossible mission for their qualification).
The problems that concern me are:
- How do we beat these guys at Home? Ground and atmosphere aside (which played and will play their part), tactically they were better. We were bad partly because they made us look bad. Can we tactically reverse that? Their passing was so assured that our pressing had no effect. Their pressing saw us unable to reach a shot on target, let alone truly attack.
- We miss a clock that ticks in midfield, and obviously we are less lethal in attack so far this season (only vs West Ham, PSG and Southampton did we score 3+, and we needed Sturridge or Shaq to play a part in that - it wasn't just the front three like last year). At this point I'd say our best bet would be to play 4-2-3-1 with Fabinho and any of Henderson/Milner/Wijnaldum in the double pivot (I thought Fabinho had a positive impact in the game for us and is possibly ready), and play our front 3 behind Sturridge. Or, we keep the 4-3-3 and field Shaq as an attacking midfielder, if he got the message and can start tracking back more.
- TAA, I love the kid, but he got a start that is way below the level he showed he can play last season, and I'm worrying that having Sane in his pocket like last season's game won't likely be the case this time - Sane could have a field day if TAA doesn't perform at that level. He'll need a hell of an assistance from the CMs, and the winger anyway, like last year, but still...worrying.

A win vs City somehow, paired with a good performance (the only way to beat City anyway?), will see us through this rough period. A game whose outcome (both performance-wise and result-wise) can make this hard period look pretty good, or rather disappointing. Let's see what we're up to.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Shaqiri or Fabinho. Im surprised he didnt start Fabinho over Milner or Gini who are being overplayed.
Likewise why is Shaqiri not starting over Salah?

Dangerous game not playing form players, and Salah is bang out of it and Shaqiri isnt. Agree with other comments in here, give Salah time at the end vs tired defenders. He was a liability tonight.
Totally agree, before the game, I thought we should have rotated to rest a few for Sunday and even more so after the game.

Klopp needs to ensure that all players should be getting in the team on merit and atm that doesn't seem to be the case which, will lead to dissolution amongst the squad, also, the players selected will know that if they don't perform and give there all then someone else will have their shirt, the idea of having a stronger squad is competition and that IMO doesn't seem to be happening.

p.s would like to see Camacho given another chance at fullback because he was a standout for me in pre-season playing there, even though it isn't his usual position.

paurig

A point would have been extremely satisfying and we could say that’s what 2 £60 m players get you

I was encouraged by our newly resilient approach which has benefited us up to now in the main 2 competitions.

In the end, Probably even worse performance than the second half against Sevilla in the Europa League final with better players.

The whole team apart from Gomez/Vvd/ Alison we’re collectively poor. If we’re gonna play ‘ WBA ball’ we’d better drill for it!

Can only put our performance down to Klopps preparation and him being out thought by Ancelotti.

Would love to hear klopps real explanation? Good we start at the weekend with a burst hype bubble!

YeGra

That game seemed like one where this tough run of fixtures had caught up with us.

We were very poor, no energy at all. We didn't press, our movement was poor, we weren't winning the midfield battles.

If I'm honest, Napoli didn't actually play that well. Other than the goal and the crossbar shot, they didn't really create that much. We were just extremely poor.

I've seen us go from scoring 5 in a champions league game, to drawing 0-0 in the league the next weekend so no reason a reverse type situation can happen this time round. I'm worried about how tired we are though.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Apart from VVD, gomez and the keeper I don’t think a single player has reached their levels of last season.
PSG game aside I feel like I’m watching a team struggling for form and fluidity.
Yes we are joint top but we look a bit laboured.
Too many players giving the simple ball rand we look flat.
The front 3 haven’t clicked yet and midfield are not creating enough or supporting the front 3.
TAA looks a bit tired but the rest of the back lot doing well and I’m no longer concerned about us defensively.
Big game Sunday and we need a huge improvement over recent weeks.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
You say the midfield is mechanical yet a player brought last January Keita for his creativity was possibly our worst performer.
True. Keita was completely invisible after being stretchered off on twenty minutes. Unacceptable performance.

Freeman

Horror show we witnessed yesterday. Did the Chelsea game drained all the mojo? It looks like that yesterday was the top of the last few games we managed quite well in the end, but yesterday we were out of form. Game plan? Hope not.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Had we had played well, I'd have less problem with the result. This past few games were never going to be all wins, and had you given me Wins vs Spurs, Southampton and PSG and a draw at Stamford Bridge vs Chelsea, and two defeats vs Napoli away in CL and Chelsea in League Cup, I'd have taken it beforehand. As long as we win/don't lose vs City. But the performance is the worrying factor. In the defeat vs Chelsea it was a second string back 5 and only 3 starters, so to me it's just that, it wasn't our first team's result.
The LC game hasn't been our only poor performance this year though. Is just the only one before last night that we didn't get any points from. Our form is a bit all over the place atm, and is relying somewhat on the midfield turning up each game. We know last night aside (FBs) what the backline will give each game, but our performances atm really are running in parallel to our midfield, whilst we wait patiently like a good housewife for our front 3 to click again.

The problems that concern me are:
- How do we beat these guys at Home? Ground and atmosphere aside (which played and will play their part), tactically they were better. We were bad partly because they made us look bad. Can we tactically reverse that? Their passing was so assured that our pressing had no effect. Their pressing saw us unable to reach a shot on target, let alone truly attack.
The same way we beat City at home last year after getting embarrassed at their house. I'm pretty sure Napoli lost on the weekend so i don't think it's a stretch to suggest they had an eye to our game already. Their pressure when we were on the ball is something I've seen no team do over 90 mins. The chances of them being able to replicate that energy at our house with our hostile crowd are pretty slim, even if tactically I would expect them to have another good game.

As for us, it's not working, but let's not forget 4 days ago we played a really great game of football against a great side away from home, even if it did require a worldie to take a point. Last night I thought we were terribly unfocused, and Napoli's relentless pressure compounded that.

We can certainly turn it around on the w/e. Only question mark is whether the players that appeared burnt out last night (Milly for one) really are or it's just a reflection of the performance

Last edited:

jaschwilli

couldn`t read the whole thread, so excuse me if its already discussed:

minute 70 - a clear back pass from a midfielder is stopped by napolis goalkeeper with the foot and then picked up with the hand. Should have been a indirect freekick right at the penalty spot and a massive chance for us.

Apart from that, I would like to vote for a starting forward as man of the match again!

IndredCold

We were always gonna lose at some point. What matters is how we respond to this loss. The timing of it concerns me as it arrives just days before arguably our biggest game of the season. We were unrecognizable yesterday. Let's just hope it was one very bad day at the office and not a start of a downward trend.

Noo Noo

I disagree, Gini was nowhere, Milner got bypassed.. Henderson was ok, but we know his limitations.. Im so sick of seeing these 3 play together they are like clones of each other. Functional and hardworking, Klopp needs to wake up and change it up, play Shaqiri as the 10 for example.

Salah was fucking abysmal, not only shit in attack he left Trent 2 v 1 all game. Saying that though the front 3 had no support, so they got double teamed all the time. It has to be fatigue as it was always our front 3 on their own, no fullback overlapping, no midfield joining late.

Why do we have a squad if it isn’t used.. The subs were just baffling 87th minute for Sturridge? Utterly pointless.
I think we're kind of agreeing. I dont like Henderson as the pivot at all. He doesn't offer the right level of control for me and when he plays there Wijnaldum disappears for some reason.

I dont subscribe to fatigue. Not this early in the season. Its more fundamental than that. A bit lazy perhaps but certainly not compact enough either which leads to the full backs being isolated.

With hindsight it's been coming I think. Performances have not been good enough although we have been getting the results. It was bound to catch up at some point.

Calls for restructuring, squad lackings and the like really do need to take account that we played shit and didnt turn up. Its not THAT bad period, although we were THAT bad last night. Its if THAT continues then the knee jerkists can become permanent spasms

Foldy

The entire performance was as stale as a packed lunch buttie. Maybe we needed a loss for some reflection because if that's a standard performance against a mediocre Napoli side then we're f**ked. Play like that against City and we'll get rolled over big time. Worrying.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Not too bothered about that result in isolation but I think our superb new keeper has actually papered over some very worrying cracks. Previous incumbents would not have made some of those saves or instilled the same confidence in our defence. I think what I am saying is that we have had results this season because our defence has been so solid rather than the reasons we had good results last season. Not a single shot on target last night.

Having survived a difficult night till the 90th minute why were we charging forward and getting caught like that in the last minute?

Two players concern me most at the moment. Salah looks like a shadow of himself.... He is either not fully fit or his confidence is shot or for some strange reason, not trying as hard.

The other lad not impressing is TAA... Looks all over the place. Seems to have lost his concentration and is not doing the simple things well. That was why he excelled last season. He needs to refocus.....

Noo Noo

Ignoring a poor night for TAA (which wasn't 100% his fault by the way) the back 5 are 100% fine going forward. There's no issues there.

Midfield and up front though. Hmmm. As a side we're not compact enough and simply controlling the ball becomes and issue.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
We still need a playmaker in the CM after so long...
Agree. Milner, Hendo and Gini are safe as houses but they dont create anything and theres no goals in them.
Keita is taking time to settle and isnt doing much - he was anonymous before he went off last night.
Such a shame Fekir fell through as he was the missing link.

T.C.B

Had we nicked a point this thread would have been full of "getting points while not playing well is the sign of a great side" posts. There are fine margins between that and what really happened.
Napoli are a good side, with plenty of top class players and a genuine top class manager so seeing them dominate Klopps side tatically as well as physically should not be a surprise. Old Carlo got a hammering from Jurgen in the summer friendly and came up with a plan to stop it happening again most likely.
They out pressed us, kept the fullbacks occupied defensively and isolated the front 3. We looked like we didn't have the energy or ability to counter either and made it all the easier for them with a very poor performance.
The state of the pitch, the Ref and plenty of robust challenges really gave them the upper hand too.
In the broad scheme of things the result might not matter all that much but the lack of a playmaker and the form of the front 3 should be a worry for Klopp imo.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Have we been relegated to the Championship? Or is it just all over-reaction?
In the scheme of things out of the Chelsea, napoli and city game this is the least important so its not that bad.
Im just a bit concerned that we dont seem to be clicking at the moment. We are labouring through games PSG aside.