Post Match: Napoli v Liverpool (UCL 3/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Milner (off 75’)

• Wijnaldum

• Keita (off 18’)

• Salah

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Firmino

• Mane (off 87’)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Henderson (on 18’)

• Fabinho (on 75’)

• Sturridge (on 87’)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JMac8

Shaqiri or Fabinho. Im surprised he didnt start Fabinho over Milner or Gini who are being overplayed.
Likewise why is Shaqiri not starting over Salah?

Dangerous game not playing form players, and Salah is bang out of it and Shaqiri isnt. Agree with other comments in here, give Salah time at the end vs tired defenders. He was a liability tonight.
Shaqiri was awful when he came on against Chelsea

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Had we nicked a point this thread would have been full of "getting points while not playing well is the sign of a great side" posts. There are fine margins between that and what really happened.
i don't subscribe to that whole line of thinking. It's basically saying that the only way to the title is via path X. The only certainty for winning the title is to win more points than your opponents. Anything else is just using history to say it has to be done that way. Also, I'm sure when people use that line (getting results from poor performances) probably have Man U in their heads. In those seasons they probably won less than a handful of games when playing poorly. Sure those additional points in those few games they probably shouldn't have won probably were the difference in winning the league and not, but it didn't define them. The other 33+ games they played brilliant football.

At the moment we haven't really done the "brilliant" stuff yet this season, but that's ok. We are still sharing the lead on points in the league and are in a very good position in the CL despite the loss ( mostly thanks to Napoli's first game) and it's still early days. Certainly time for our form to pick up like it more often than not does.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
More worried about Keita's injury than everything else to be honest. The last thing this team needs is to lose more midfielders. Suffice to say that Fabinho has to come to grips with the style of play sharpish. By the way, any chance Lallana makes an appearance at some point?

As far as the front 3 are concerned, it's also clear that they are in a dark place but there are quality options in Shaqiri and Sturridge.

FilthyBloke

The problems at the minute are that quite a lot of key players seem to be off form and low in confidence, which is odd as we have only dropped 2 points in the league.
We are much better defensively but I wonder if that’s down to the front three not being so expansive, other than just having a quality keeper.

The main weakness though for me is our midfield. When we can’t harass the opponent into submission we struggle to gain any really control.
Henderson, Milner and Wijnandum all seem limited in stamping their authority on the game. With keita and Fabinho not settled so far, it means our midfield is lacking any serious options and is easy to predict. It also looks leggy which is worrying as we are barely a quarter of the way into the season.
The lack of control or in game management, which last season saw far too many two goal leads slip, has already allowed PSG back into a game that we were bossing, almost threw it away vs Leicester and even spurs had a chance to equalise when after 89 mins we were 2-0 up.

Klopp needs to drop/rest a few players as well. Salah is wrong on every level at the minute. His first touch is awful, his finishing is wayward and even his body language isn’t right. We can’t afford to carry him at the minute and Shaqiri deserves a run in the team, if anything to give Salah a rest from the spotlight.

Man City will be a massive test. Anfield will be rocking but city look slick and fluid and high on confidence.
Everything we are currently not.

Hopefully it is the kick up the arse they need. The media can stop blowing smoke up our arse too. Then we can get back to what we were doing last season.
Well it seems we've gone from winning, to winning ugly, to getting lucky, to losing in a very deserving way.....................we do need a wake up call. But we've not been thrashed yet. Hope thats not to come on Sunday or else it will be meltdown, a review of the summer transfer business, the failure to sign Fekir or a suitable alternative, Klopps in game mis-managment, et al the list would go on.

My own personal feeling is its mentality, like always with us. Also, I know Napoli performed on that pitch but there is nothing worse than playing away on an unusual pitch, especially one that poses poor footing. So yep a wake up call, and all our demons combined last night. I bet they get a bollocking once Klopp watches the game again.

JSD1

Thought the whole team had a really poor day- no fluidity, sloppy in passing and generally a bad day in the office.
Hope Keita is ok and nothing serious.
Dust ourselves off and get three points on the weekend against City.

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
That was a poor game. There was no energy and very little creativity. Napoli deserved to win. I have to be honest if I had to choose between losing this, but winning on Sunday, (I know you can't) but hopefully we can turn this group around. Whereas with City they drop so few points you feel we can't afford to do anything but win.

We need to be at our best to do that.

Relieved that Keita injury isn't too serious.

Last edited:

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
Got what we deserved which was nothing after a poor performance. After surviving a number of scary moments second half Klopp should have taken the point & got out asap so I was surprised with the late arrival of Sturridge - the Chelsea game was different we were pushing for an equaliser and thankfully DS produced a stunner- but this was different a point would have put us right in the driving seat with 2 games v Red Star coming so I think put on Lovern or Matip to ensure we didn't concede. For their goal I was disappointed that Van Dijk allowed the Napoli player to pass ball back inside ( he should have driven him down touchline / whacked ball into touch with 30 odd seconds left ) which inturn allowed them to come inside Robbo and so on to the goal. Even then maybe with the extra defender we would have been able to cover middle of goal better & they would not have scored.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
It was a shit performance, I think that's all anybody is saying.
Absolutely it was shit - but some of the comments/reaction are a bit over the top - obviously that's my opinion and others will feel that the level of reaction is justified. Just think that comments about how we are missing pieces to the puzzle, poor manangement etc are overblown, and it was more a case of bad day in the office.

The main reason I'm relaxed - we were solid defensively, and we know the front three are not quite up to scratch. The final calming thing for me is that Klopp recognised the team played poorly, and not to plan, resulting in this defeat - polar opposite to Poch at Spurs who's come out praising the Spurs performance when they've lost 4-2 at home.

Wilkored08

Noticed the photos of Mo handing his shirt to Chancalotti, with dressing on shoulder...Is he still injured...or even had a 'secret' op....the plot thickens!!!

Noo Noo

Noticed the photos of Mo handing his shirt to Chancalotti, with dressing on shoulder...Is he still injured...or even had a 'secret' op....the plot thickens!!!
There might be something in it but it could be that it needs a lot more support now to hold it in place etc. It will have lost a lot of strength etc.

Red over the water

Well, this one still feels bad the day after. Apart from Gomez, VVD and Alisson, it was average to poor. On the positive side we’ve got a reliable defensive triangle there that should keep us in touching distance in any game, even if others are poor, but obviously the team has to improve. I think we will.

Looking ahead to the weekend, if we were at our best it would be difficult to say who would win in a game against Man City. Even with our form being off, it’s still difficult to make a call, as you never know what will happen on the day. We could spring to life, we could grind it out, or a moment of brilliance, either way, might decide it.

I predict a draw, with three teams on 20 points after the weekend. If it pans out like that we will have come through a very tough stretch in a decent position. Mind you, like all good reds, I’m hoping for a win, as it’s hard to see Man City dropping too many points, so if we don’t take care of that at home against them, who will?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
(...)

Two players concern me most at the moment. Salah looks like a shadow of himself.... He is either not fully fit or his confidence is shot or for some strange reason, not trying as hard.

The other lad not impressing is TAA... Looks all over the place. Seems to have lost his concentration and is not doing the simple things well. That was why he excelled last season. He needs to refocus.....
These two are linked, they play on the same side of the pitch. Had Salah done his defensive work adequately, TAA would have had less problems when being 2v1. Reversely, had TAA been able to charge forward and interact well with the Egyptian, everything would have been that more simple for the latter.

In my book, Salah is the main culprit. He isn't a boy like TAA, and his main downfall yesterday was that he didn't work as hard as should have done. It's absolutely beyond me why Klopp didn't withdraw him at some point, and charged someone else to provide a bit of protection for TAA. That side of the pitch was a permanently open gate for the Napoli attacks, especially during the second half.

Foldy

Absolutely it was shit - but some of the comments/reaction are a bit over the top - obviously that's my opinion and others will feel that the level of reaction is justified. Just think that comments about how we are missing pieces to the puzzle, poor manangement etc are overblown, and it was more a case of bad day in the office.

The main reason I'm relaxed - we were solid defensively, and we know the front three are not quite up to scratch. The final calming thing for me is that Klopp recognised the team played poorly, and not to plan, resulting in this defeat - polar opposite to Poch at Spurs who's come out praising the Spurs performance when they've lost 4-2 at home.
Totally agree about the defence and the issues with our front three. As I said on another thread Mo will find his shooting boots he just needs time. In regards to Spurs I've always believed they're massively overrated as is Poch, now they have an injury crisis when lo and behold every football fan and his dog was questioning why they hadn't strengthened in the summer.

Coddite84

One thing to consider now the dust has settled... That is the worst we have played in a long time...that iw the best Napoli have played all season and they only scraped a 1-0... PSG will pump them and we will beat Belgrade twice and Napoli still have to come to Anfield where we will not be as bad as last night. Time to keep perspective #inkloppwetrust