• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Newcastle 0-6 Liverpool

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
gasband said:
If BR buys right this summer, even without Suarez, we will not find ourselves deep in shite like we did in the beginning of this season.
I need a laksa in Geylang.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Every body played well, no poor performances. Cannot knock the players or the manager this time around. Have to take into account the poor quality of the opposition though, last time out they lost 3-0 at home to the team currently 4th from bottom.
Let, celebrate the victory but remember next weeks game will be a totally different challenge. That is when we will be able to assess where we are.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Chewbazza said:
In 2 years if we are still lingering in the same kind of position, and the likes of Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge, Suarez are consistently putting in performances like we have seen in flashes this season, how long before they're being snatched up by the footballing powerhouses of Europe?
If they are constantly performing at their top level, i don't think we will be lingering in the same kind of position. If we can improve the squad with some 4-6 correct players in this summer+jan, we could be in top 4 or even better.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
The Elusive 19th said:
If they are constantly performing at their top level, i don't think we will be lingering in the same kind of position. If we can improve the squad with some 4-6 correct players in this summer+jan, we could be in top 4 or even better.
Problem is, what kind of players are we talking about can we afford this summer. Big question mark.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
SUPER PORK CHOP said:
I need a laksa in Geylang.
Its weird, nobody ever asks for Laksa in Geylang. We have better Laksa elswhere and most visitors and males go to Geylang for mostly another reason. :lol:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
SUPER PORK CHOP said:
Problem is, what kind of players are we talking about can we afford this summer. Big question mark.
Its actually about finding the right set of players rather than the hot names like Hazard/Mata/Vertongen/Sahin/Lewandowski/Gotze this time, isn't it.

We should find the 'correct' players like Sturridge, Cou and not Sahin/aquilani/carroll/downing or assaidi.

That's why for once in a long time now, we are dependent heavily on the scouting team and the transfer committee to get each and every of their calls correct.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
SUPER PORK CHOP said:
The scouting team has already shown they can get great talent through the door without breaking the bank, there's always bargains to be had and I'm sure we'll make the signings we need in the summer. Believe it or not...the people who work at the club actually want it to succeed !!!!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
TheSweetSilverSong said:
Quoting from the site:
Borini scored his first Premier League goal for Liverpool in 6-0 thrashing of Newcastle on Saturday.
Incredibly, The Sunday Mirror described the celebration as a “goalscoring salute to Luis Suarez”.
And Daily Mirror Chief Football Writer Martin Lipton wrote on his twitter that the celebration was “Pathetic and embarrassing”. It was then pointed out to him how wrong he was and he corrected himself on Sunday morning.

See, that's what I'm talking about...I knew it!

Wait, somethings missing, that can't be it? Where the hell is the FA????
Ban us again, ban us again! We promise to only score 6 vs Everton if you do!

Hmmm...Is thinking that readers are stupid, stupid in itself? Yes it is!

:lol:
The media were saying the same thing after Suarez scored the handball against Mansfield and then kissed his wrists. For me that's worse - the celebration done by the Premier Leagues leading scorer after every goal he scores and the football media apparently don't know this.

It's a bit more understanding in Borini's case, cos the lad has only scored two - but it's still mischief making and being too quick to leap to the moral high ground.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Mascot88 said:
The media were saying the same thing after Suarez scored the handball against Mansfield and then kissed his wrists. For me that's worse - the celebration done by the Premier Leagues leading scorer after every goal he scores and the football media apparently don't know this.

It's a bit more understanding in Borini's case, cos the lad has only scored two - but it's still mischief making and being too quick to leap to the moral high ground.
The depth of knowledge of the source should also be considered when you think about the 'Rodgers to Citeh' rumour. Some real inside insight at hand there...

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
What a great win!! Especially after the depressing incident of losing Suarez for the rest of the season, what a relief!! Coutinho was magic, Sturridge was class (he has been so since the 2nd half of Chelsea game) whilst most others came up with wonderful performances.....Hendo, Stevie, Lucas, Downing, Agger and the whole lot!!

The best performance of the season after the worst week of the season. Well done guys!! After all, there is life even without Suarez!!

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
SoueysTash said:
The scouting team has already shown they can get great talent through the door without breaking the bank, there's always bargains to be had and I'm sure we'll make the signings we need in the summer.Believe it or not...the people who work at the club actually want it to succeed !!!!
Really???

Who would have ever thought up of such a crazy concept as staff wanting their employer to be succesfull

Gears

TIA Regular
Wouldn't be surprised if sturridge secretly thinks he should be the main center forward. He was like this at Chelsea, competing with the likes of drogba/anelka/torres. He definitely has the bottle to fight for his place not to mention the ability.

If only some of our midfielders would compete with stevie g the same way.
gasband said:
I like what Sturridge said:

Sturridge:"BR emphasised to go out there & work as a team & to put on a performance for the fans; I'm sure they'll have a nice journey home"

Sturridge: "I wouldn't say with Luis being out I'm delighted, because he's a great player & it's unfortunate that he's got a lengthy ban"

Sturridge: "But it's good for myself that I'm able to get some games, I didn't come to Liverpool to sit on the bench."

Sturridge: "For me, it's important to be playing and that's what I came here to do."

To me, this is exactly how all our players should be. You should see every player is your friend, your colleague, but also your competitor. See the confidence of this guy, he even dares to pit himself against Suarez. And that is the kind of player we need to buy this coming summer so that the rest of the squad, Reina, Agger, Gerrard, Lucas, Johnson, Enrique and the rest will start to develop competitive mentality and play like hell just to keep their place.

liverbird1975

Spitfire said:
That last paragraph makes me wish the hall of shame was still around - if 6-0 isn't being put to the sword what is.....apart from an 8-0 result for Chelsea I think its the biggest victory this season.......
What's wrong with expecting a 8-0 win against a hapless team? 6-0 isn't good enough for me. Where's the desire to give the fans eight big reasons to cheer instead of six? Brendan isn't ruthless enough.

pass_and_move said:
Looks like we haven't lost our bite after all :)

Once we get a second goal - in any game - we relax and really begin to play our stuff. We started brightly today, possibly a reaction to all the media attention this week, and by 1/2 time the result wasn't in doubt. Newcastle never seemed to get going and looked like a side flirting with relegation.
It's a problem Brendan has never fixed (along with our defence).

Lucas or Allen said:
Hope Pardew gets sacked as he took the piss out of us last season when they had a good season.He said they are now bigger than us.
Hope he enjoys what comes around.

I see in the papers Man City are alleged to want our manager ha ha
Really? That's absolutely splendid! This is best news I've heard all year. Please, for the love of Fowler, take Brendan.

liverbird1975

mattyhurst said:
Wouldn't bother spitfire we could win 10-0 and some people on here wouldn't be happy due to prejudices
Hang on. Am I missing something here? Is our home ground London Road or The Underhill? Are we Liverpool FC or Swansea FC?

We're the five-time winners of Old Big Ears for Fowler's sake. Why can't some fans have high expectations for a club which has won the most trophies in England? If you don't mind the club floundering in the lower half of the League, that's your problem. You can spew all you want about scraping a 1-0 win against the mighty Mansfield or Oldham, but I watched the club spanked Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest 5-0. And there was a time when every Cup game against minnows would almost guarantee a gamut of goals from the Reds, home or away.

liverbird1975

Quagmire81 said:
City wanting Rodgers got to be the media taking the piss.
They can take Brendan, his 10,000-page dossier and his fabled three envelopes. There'll be loads of laughs generated next season for sure when he talks about Citeh winning the League for the next ten years, his 50,000-page encyclopedia on take-taki and the 11 envelopes.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
AussieLad said:
Really???

Who would have ever thought up of such a crazy concept as staff wanting their employer to be succesfull
Reading some comments...you'd think that was some kind of new wisdom I just come across

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
liverbird1975 said:
Hang on. Am I missing something here? Is our home ground London Road or The Underhill? Are we Liverpool FC or Swansea FC?

We're the five-time winners of Old Big Ears for Fowler's sake. Why can't some fans have high expectations for a club which has won the most trophies in England? If you don't mind the club floundering in the lower half of the League, that's your problem. You can spew all you want about scraping a 1-0 win against the mighty Mansfield or Oldham, but I watched the club spanked Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest 5-0. And there was a time when every Cup game against minnows would almost guarantee a gamut of goals from the Reds, home or away.
Times have changed mate. We are working to get back to those days but we have to be patient. You don't build a title winning team in a summer. We have to give Rodgers and the team time to build up a knowledge of each other and a winning mentality, the signs are there that we will be up there in a year or two and our youths look really promising. Look at our team Coutinho is 20 Sturidge is 23 Henderson 22 shelvey 20 suso 19 sterling 18 its a young team that will get better and we have more coming up ala Dunn teixteira ibe Jones so there is hope and we aren't that far away we just need a good start next season and a good pre season. Last year we changed manager and had a broken pre season due to the euros. I also forgot to mention Robinson Kelly flanno and wisdom coming up as well

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
OhYaBeauty said:
I'd rather they took some of our fans. In particular, you.
Serious troll...I suspect his views will be the same as his on Borini

I almost had tears in my eyes when Borini scored. I wanted so much for him to get something from this game and he put the ball in the onion bag within minutes of coming on. The delight on his face was unforgettable. It makes me wonder why I have been so impatient with him when it took Crouch a very, very long time to get his first goal for Liverpool. I'll be sold if he bags a goal against the Bitters.
Swap Borini for BR and Crouch for another famous manager that took over the club when it was a bit of a shambles...Not that I'm in anyway comparing the two of course I just want to point out that Liverbird1975 will change his mind one day so don't be too hard on him lol

liverbird1975

therealkeano1 said:
Times have changed mate. We are working to get back to those days but we have to be patient. You don't build a title winning team in a summer. We have to give Rodgers and the team time to build up a knowledge of each other and a winning mentality, the signs are there that we will be up there in a year or two and our youths look really promising. Look at our team Coutinho is 20 Sturidge is 23 Henderson 22 shelvey 20 suso 19 sterling 18 its a young team that will get better and we have more coming up ala Dunn teixteira ibe Jones so there is hope and we aren't that far away we just need a good start next season and a good pre season. Last year we changed manager and had a broken pre season due to the euros. I also forgot to mention Robinson Kelly flanno and wisdom coming up as well
I don't just look at how young the team is. I'm looking at how the seniors, the first-team members of the squad have performed under Brendan. They are the pros and how they acquaint themselves on the field, especially against the big teams, gives a telling indication of what it would be like under Brendan for the next few seasons.

Like Brendan, they will flatter to deceive. Suarez and Coutinho will soon be bought by whoever flashing a thick wad of cash in front of FSG's eyes. Like Brendan, we'll never win anything. We'll become a mid-table club and give it a couple of seasons of underachievement, we'll start to struggle. I'm sorry but I have absolutely no confidence in Brendan.

SoueysTash said:
Serious troll...I suspect his views will be the same as his on Borini

Swap Borini for BR and Crouch for another famous manager that took over the club when it was a bit of a shambles...Not that I'm in anyway comparing the two of course I just want to point out that Liverbird1975 will change his mind one day so don't be too hard on him lol
Scoring his first goal hopefully means he'll have more confidence in front of goal. I'll expect him to bag at least five more before the season ends. If he doesn't or show that he is at least useful in the box, he should be dumped out to Swansea for a season's loan and sold to the highest bidder if someone comes calling.

liverbird1975

Player ratings:

Jose Reina (6) - Had nothing much to do all match. Made a couple of saves?
Glen Johnson (3) - How he is England's best rightback befuddles me. He should be sold in the summer.
Jamie Carragher (6.5) - Indian summer. :)
Daniel Agger (6.5) - His goal gave the team a much needed lift.
Sanchez Jose Enrique (6) - A better fullback than Glen by a country mile.
Jordan Henderson (6.5) - A performance befitting that of the England U-21 captain.
Steven Gerrard (6) - No longer the Stevie of old. Possibly no more than a squad player next season or an impact sub.
Leiva Lucas (6.5) - Perhaps confidence is all he needs.
Phillippe Coutinho (7) - Big clubs will be circling around him next January and the papers will be full of the speculation about his future.
Daniel Sturridge (6.5) - Could have scored more if he wasn't that selfish or greedy. Will be a frustrating player to watch next season.
Stewart Downing (6) - Decent but not great.
Fabio Borini (5.5) - Scored his first goal with it served on a silver platter. Hope he can go on to bag at least five for the remainder of the season. If not, he should be bundled up (together with Glen) and dumped off at the Liberty Stadium.
Suso (4) - Didn't do too much and perhaps not enough to be part of Brendan's plan next season.
Jonjo Shelvey (4) - Same as Suso but more frustrating. Perhaps Swansea-bound as well.

Some comments about our subs:

Brad Jones - Looks likely to leave
Sebastian Coates - First out of the door in the summer
Martin Skrtel - Second out of the door in the summer

Andre Wisdom - Bit part role next season. Can see him leaving next January.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
liverbird1975 said:
I'll expect him to bag at least five more before the season ends. If he doesn't or show that he is at least useful in the box, he should be dumped out to Swansea for a season's loan and sold to the highest bidder if someone comes calling.
:scratch:

You do understand that we have only 3 games before the end of the season? Seriously?

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
liverbird1975 said:
Player ratings:

Jose Reina (6) - Had nothing much to do all match. Made a couple of saves?
Glen Johnson (3) - How he is England's best rightback befuddles me. He should be sold in the summer.
Jamie Carragher (6.5) - Indian summer. :)
Daniel Agger (6.5) - His goal gave the team a much needed lift.
Sanchez Jose Enrique (6) - A better fullback than Glen by a country mile.
Jordan Henderson (6.5) - A performance befitting that of the England U-21 captain.
Steven Gerrard (6) - No longer the Stevie of old. Possibly no more than a squad player next season or an impact sub.
Leiva Lucas (6.5) - Perhaps confidence is all he needs.
Phillippe Coutinho (7) - Big clubs will be circling around him next January and the papers will be full of the speculation about his future.
Daniel Sturridge (6.5) - Could have scored more if he wasn't that selfish or greedy. Will be a frustrating player to watch next season.
Stewart Downing (6) - Decent but not great.
Fabio Borini (5.5) - Scored his first goal with it served on a silver platter. Hope he can go on to bag at least five for the remainder of the season. If not, he should be bundled up (together with Glen) and dumped off at the Liberty Stadium.
Suso (4) - Didn't do too much and perhaps not enough to be part of Brendan's plan next season.
Jonjo Shelvey (4) - Same as Suso but more frustrating. Perhaps Swansea-bound as well.

Some comments about our subs:

Brad Jones - Looks likely to leave
Sebastian Coates - First out of the door in the summer
Martin Skrtel - Second out of the door in the summer

Andre Wisdom - Bit part role next season. Can see him leaving next January.
Cheers, I needed a good laugh.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
liverbird1975 said:
If he's worth his hefty price tag, why not?
Hefty price tag, my a**.

We got him at 11m. Not 60m. 5 in 3 matches after coming from almost half a season of injury troubles. Even Messi will have trouble with that.

Be realistic.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
liverbird1975 said:
I don't just look at how young the team is. I'm looking at how the seniors, the first-team members of the squad have performed under Brendan. They are the pros and how they acquaint themselves on the field, especially against the big teams, gives a telling indication of what it would be like under Brendan for the next few seasons.

Like Brendan, they will flatter to deceive. Suarez and Coutinho will soon be bought by whoever flashing a thick wad of cash in front of FSG's eyes. Like Brendan, we'll never win anything. We'll become a mid-table club and give it a couple of seasons of underachievement, we'll start to struggle. I'm sorry but I have absolutely no confidence in Brendan.

Scoring his first goal hopefully means he'll have more confidence in front of goal. I'll expect him to bag at least five more before the season ends. If he doesn't or show that he is at least useful in the box, he should be dumped out to Swansea for a season's loan and sold to the highest bidder if someone comes calling.
Sorry about this but our senior players have been stepping up. Downing has improved with Rodgers gerrard has adapted into a new role and it could prolong his career ala Scholes, saurez has improved his finishing Johnson has been quality for the past two seasons agger has also improved in the last few months

liverbird1975

therealkeano1 said:
Sorry about this but our senior players have been stepping up. Downing has improved with Rodgers gerrard has adapted into a new role and it could prolong his career ala Scholes, saurez has improved his finishing Johnson has been quality for the past two seasons agger has also improved in the last few months
Johnson has been poor this season. It's only recently that Reina found his form of old. Lucas hasn't been his usual self. Stevie's slowly fading. Downing has improved this season but marginally only.

IMO, the only players who have improved (albeit marginally) under Brendan this season are Enrique, Jamie and Henderson. They haven't stepped up at all.

The Elusive 19th said:
Hefty price tag, my a**.

We got him at 11m. Not 60m. 5 in 3 matches after coming from almost half a season of injury troubles. Even Messi will have trouble with that.

Be realistic.
If he's good, he wouldn't have left Chelski or Roma. If he's good, there wouldn't be any reason to be talking here about whether or not he deserves his price tag.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
liverbird1975 said:
If he's good, he wouldn't have left Chelski or Roma. If he's good, there wouldn't be any reason to be talking here about whether or not he deserves his price tag.
Based on this logic do we assume that Coutinho is shit as he was sold to us by a European powerhouse?