Post Match: Newcastle 2 Liverpool 2

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Feels simultaneously like two points dropped and a point gained. Two dropped because we should not be taking anything less than three points when playing a mid-table side with a man down. One gained because the way we played we didn't deserve anything.

Gerrard man of the match by a mile. Most of the other looked liked they'd never played together in their lives.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Gutted. Rogers completely messed up. I don't blame him for the first half, it was his reaction to Newcastle going down to 10 men before the break. He took far too long to make the change after half time and when it arrived it was the wrong change. Should have brought on Sterling for Sakho so we could expose the wings in a 4-4-2. Instead he brings on a CM so we end up playing some hybrid formation with 3 cms, a left winger and 2 strikers leaving us unable to get behind them on the right. 2 points thrown away and it is 100% Rogers fault. Really annoyed.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
Classic example of when a draw feels like a loss.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Pathetic really. If Newcastle keep 11 players on the field, they win.

I consider this a point won given how bad we were.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Our problem is our players attitude. We started the first half without an ounce of respect to Newcastle with all those quick mispass. Then on second half we totally throw our number advantages out of the windows....

Plus a lot of nonclinical strike. A draw was deserved

Top of the table, but still played like an overperformed mid-table team. That is not good

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
10 men and we didn't rip them apart? With most prolific pairing? Sad..... with new centre halves and keeper still concede from set pieces. Who is to blame now? We really need to start looking at our set piece defensive organisation. Way too leaky.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Only Gerrard deserves any praise for that really, the rest were pretty shite. Cissokho had his moments in the second half though.

Thought Suarez and Sturridge were really poor (considering their level). Won't be too harsh as they still contributed to both goals but Suarez gave the ball away more times than I can count and Sturridge was on his heels far too often in their box, and wasn't great when he did get chances.

Johnson's use of the ball around the opponents area continues to be absolutely dreadful, Henderson was wasteful in and around their area and Moses just looked clueless in the middle.

Need a bit of a rethink for WBA at home, that wasn't good enough.

Claymenza

Unsure why we stuck with a 5-3-2 when Newcastle went one down.

We're trying too hard to accommodate both suarez and sturridge. We need moses and sterling on the wings.

Perth Red

Deep in the wilds of outback Queensland
Rogers was too defensive... as soon as we had the man advantage should have gone to the bench. we needed width to drag them around and wear them down. 2 points thrown away for me

R

RedRiot

I'll hold my hand up and say that result was 100% Lucas's fault. Had he not been out of the side, we wouldn't have been so awful.

In all seriousness, that should be the last we see of the 3-5-2. We were dire until we switched out of it, even when up a man. Hard to give a MOTM, though Suarez was probably best, with Alberto doing enough in his cameo to earn consideration as well. Rest of the team, bar maybe Skrtel, were pretty awful.

lfc.8

Disgusting performance. Just average all round. Two more dropped points.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
A lot of the players like very tired. I don't think there will be a repeat of this performance next week.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
All in all a poor performance against an average opposition, especially when considering that we got a lucky break when Newcastle were dominating us, getting that pen and a Newcastle player sent off.

After that, we should have dominating this comprehensively, but instead of this, conceded yet another poor goal from a set piece. The equalizing goal was good, but this kind of actions have been few and far between, not enough to deserve the win.

So, considering these facts, we can esteem ourselves lucky imo to escape with a draw, as I could see us being spanked before the 1-1 and the sending off.

Colin

TIA First Team
Would have probably taken the point at the start given our good start (i.e. joint top of the league) but we really do need to get our act together.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Not good enough to be brutal. How on earth we are top is a miracle! Continue like this and we'll be in reverse!

For me Hendo was MOTM but needs to tweak his shooting boots!

Top 4 - not on the strength of this performance.

Well played Newcastle

3pts lost!

Walter Sobchak

Well, a bit unlucky there. Suarez should have had a couple, Studge one more probably. Newcastle scored 2 on what? 3-4 chances? Well paid for them...

Weekend can still be salvaged - that's up to Southampton to decide.

RedLaw

JFT96
Difficult to rationalise such a crazy game. If you'd offered a point before our pen would probably have taken it Newcastle were that good.

Disappointing how we didn't take advantage having the extra man and once again our achilles heel, those damn set pieces, cost us the win.

Would like to think this would be enough to convince Rodgers to switch to zonal marking, doubt it will be though.

Lots to work on...

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Pathetic display and two points thrown away. Poor substitutions when we were crying out for a bit of width to stretch them out.
Set pieces are a fucking disgrace and he should be embarrassed that a side that he coaches are so utterly inept at both ends from set plays. The second goal was like one you would see in a schoolboy game.
Stevie was our best player today IMO. Moses was poor, Cissokko did ok bar standing ball watching for the second goal.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
Fair result really.

We had the chances to win it but just weren't sharp enough. I think the players were tired from international duties to be honest. They seemed very laboured all game long. BR could have made tactical changes earlier. We also didn't spread them enough. We had less width than a catwalk models hips.

It's not all bad news. Newcastle ain't shithouse. A point at St James Park isn't a terrible result.

And for now, at least, we are top of the league!

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
i think we missed enrique today..... no attack from left...
sorry to say but sturridge needs to be a bit selfish...
pathetic... if u cant win against 10 man team u shouldn't be aiming for champ league

thier second goal.... horrendous!

i'm not over reacting... we need to beat teams like these!

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
This is why we need to buy another striker in January. If ever, this was one to their on all forward and go for the win. Moses was tired by the end and not offering much. If we had a proper striker in the bench, you leave Johnson on and bring on a striker for Moses.

This wasn't a match for 352, but let's not turn this into a death call for the formation. At the right time, it can be useful. Today called for 442 diamond if ever.

Can't spin it away - 2 points dropped. Oh well. On to the next one.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Never really got going, but should have won this in the end.

Thought Moses looked lost.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Opportunity missed. Performance wise we were very disappointing at the start, it was like we didn't care enough to get going until they scored. Mentality problem is probably a bigger issue than set pieces, which in itself is already a massive weakness.

On a brighter note, we reversed our habit of starting strong and finishing weak. We would have taken all the points with more clinical finishing. And the switch back to 4 at the back seemed to yield a better performance, especially when Suarez was playing wide in a 433.

Field day for Charles.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Another missed opportunity for a full 3-point result. Even if you consider we earned one loss so far, we have now gifted 4 points back to the table. How much will this affect the standings in March when we hope to be sniffing around the top4.

Way too early to be giving free points away.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I guess what we can take as a positive is that the team had enough guts to come back twice from being a goal down, and still remain unbeaten after eight games. Could be worse, as Newcastle will likely give a run for their money to several top teams at their own ground.