Post Match: Newcastle 2 Liverpool 2

slufsar

Dane said:
As nice as it is to be here, we're in a false position right now, and people who are getting carried away with it now should bear that in mind when things go downhill and they start venting off about how we're no longer in the top 4.
Finally someone says what I've wanted to say for a long time.

I get this sick feeling in my stomach everytime I see a fan big us up. People need to consider what an easy start we've had, and how much luck we've had along the way. We've been outshot and outpossessed every game. There has been distinct issues with our play, but someone has denied every claim to bring it up by banging on about league position. League position at this time means nothing. It doesnt mean anything before you've met every team once. Then you can begin to get an idea of where you're team is.

grooveshark

Banned Users
slufsar said:
Finally someone says what I've wanted to say for a long time.
I get this sick feeling in my stomach everytime I see a fan big us up. People need to consider what an easy start we've had, and how much luck we've had along the way. We've been outshot and outpossessed every game. There has been distinct issues with our play, but someone has denied every claim to bring it up by banging on about league position. League position at this time means nothing. It doesnt mean anything before you've met every team once. Then you can begin to get an idea of where you're team is.
Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko were always going to outplay Gerrard, Moses and Henderson.

If Yanga Mbiwa lets Suarez score chances were that this game is a loss.

I get told I am being negative for the sake of it, but fans have a tonne of excuses, it is the international break, it is the team being 10 points better off, we aint playing well because Coutinho is injured.

All of those are just that. Coutinho hasnt played well this season and that has to do with the fact that the two players behind him have struggled immensely. All top teams had players going out for the international break so I rarely get why it is such an acceptable excuse, especially when the team hasnt played a single game in Europe.

Lastly, the chasing pack has caught up, bar United, dropped points coupled with wins for other teams means a slide down the table.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
lfc.eddie said:
Uhmmm, what?
I think he's saying, that if Suarez has slotted home and not been hauled down by Mbwia, then NUFC would have had 11 on the pitch and gone on to comfortably win the game.

Personally I don't think this would have been the case. When a team goes down to 10 it's sometimes harder to beat them.

RedSeven

On the one road
rupzzz said:
I think he's saying, that if Suarez has slotted home and not been hauled down by Mbwia, then NUFC would have had 11 on the pitch and gone on to comfortably win the game.
Personally I don't think this would have been the case. When a team goes down to 10 it's sometimes harder to beat them.
I do take your point that at times teams down to 10 men become more resiliant and can be harder to beat but not in this case.By the time the penalty was given they where already beating us and deservedly so,i think they would have gone on to win.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
RedSeven said:
I do take your point that at times teams down to 10 men become more resiliant and can be harder to beat but not in this case.By the time the penalty was given they where already beating us and deservedly so,i think they would have gone on to win.
It's all down to momentum I feel.

If Suarez wasn't hauled down and had instead gone through to score, we really don't know how the teams would have reacted psychologically.

Being down to 10 probably buoyed Newcastle to try and force a result, meanwhile we probably strolled in at HT comfortable with the mentalitty of "Job's just been made much easier". Had it been 11 v 11 and 1-1 at HT I suspect the dynamic would have been different. I suspect we would have come out gung-ho in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half as we had momentum from a later equaliser in the 1st half. Seems like instead the mentality was "We're a man up, play our game and be patient and we'll stroll this".

No reason to believe that the only outcome at HT if it were 11 v 11 was we would have easily been beaten.

Anyway, this doesn't change anything. We failed to capitalise on having the extra man and that's dissapointing.

As BR said himself, the conceded goals are both goals we can do something about to avoid it happening again.

Set piece drills required this week.

Urban Achiever

bes said:
Alberto/Gerrard are the last people who should be getting flack about last game. How come nobody is pointing out how Sturridge had numerous chances but couldn't convert or how Suarez/Cissohko kept giving the ball away?

Thought Skrtel did well, he should have a spot next week vs West Brom. I think it's time to introduce Agger back into the first team also. Sakho had a bad game and that set piece defending was awful, maybe the bench will motivate him but for now Agger is our best CB. Cissohko... Think it was obvious that Enrique is still the best LB on this team by a country mile. Only thing Cissohko can do better is use his pace to beat defenders. He is fit and when I saw him unable to handle a ball in open play I couldn't help but laugh and think "this was the guy that was suppose to displace Enrique" Ha. Reason why Sterling came on is because Glen isn't 100%, and we have to get Sterling some game time. Some of wingers like Valencia can be deputized @ RB, we need more players like that who can fill in other spots (like Johnson can play Winger/RB/LB). Giving him little time there especially when we were passing against a parked bus is fine.
Next week vs West Brom

Mignolet
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Lucas Gerrard Hendo
Coutinho
Suarez/Sturridge

^^ Strongest squad. Sub Alberto/Sterling in for Coutinho/Johnson. Maybe give Allen a shot depending how Lucas/Hendo/gerrard
Skrtel did OK.... although he did cost us the second goal by pushing an opponent into Kolo (Who otherwise would have cleared the ball without any problem). That's just not good enough. Skrtel made that mistake and ruined it for Kolo.... and us. Set pieces suck already and when you make mistakes like that in defence your game doesn't go "well". You then wanna throw Sakho to the bench?... although he's a better player and actually one of the very, very few who understands the idea of keeping a tempo going in the game? Unbelivable.
The first goal was not, as some say, Sakho's.... you cannot defend against long range shots from that distance as a CB...... shots from that far out are either deflected, world class or the keepers fault.... and on top of that Sakho actually did block him from coming into the dangerous area.

And slacking off Cissokho... come on, man... it's his first real game. Been out injured for 6 weeks, right? After palying 5 minutes and a U21 game.
I counted at least 10 times when he was totally free on the opposite side of the pitch without getting the ball quickly. He then missed the ball one time because of a funny rebound from the pitch...... and he's already written off by you. Bit harsh.
He did alright and especially regarding Enrique I wouldn't think it reasonable to make sarcastic comments about players competing the THE most inconsitent player we have.
I'm not saying Jose is a bad player... at times he's fantastic and I like him.....but for you to make fun of players who are to be meassured against his standard is just so totally wrong remembering how many bizarre decisions he has taken in his time at LFC.
Cissokho actually made some great defensive efforts and could have had 2 assists had our forwards not missed. That's simply not bad... especially when the guy you're stepping in for (because of HIS injury) is himself a shaky performer.

And I think you're wrong about Gerrard.... why on earth should he not get flack for this game? Pulling the tempo out of the match for 95% of the game and making quite a few errors along the way. He's still like Suarez and Sturridge... so good that they're better than most when they're below their average... but to complement his effort wholeheartedly on a day like that while slacking others is blind love. He failed in not keeping a high enough tempo to put pressure on Newcastle.... not his fault alone... but not others alone either.

Our problem is:
That the players cannot understand the system being used for marking in set pieces and some, on top of that, turn off and make stupid mistakes. Who's to blame? Coaching or players ability.... I dunno.
AND: our midfield is not good enough to really dominate opposition which becomes painfully clear when we're without Countinhos creativity + we need more goals from midfield. How to fix this? Get Cou back and buy at least one world class CM or DM in Jan....... or preferably both.

Fix that and we'll compete for the very top of the league..... and get another top forward and/or winger and our teams set for ChL.

RedSeven

On the one road
rupzzz said:
It's all down to momentum I feel.

If Suarez wasn't hauled down and had instead gone through to score, we really don't know how the teams would have reacted psychologically.

Being down to 10 probably buoyed Newcastle to try and force a result, meanwhile we probably strolled in at HT comfortable with the mentalitty of "Job's just been made much easier". Had it been 11 v 11 and 1-1 at HT I suspect the dynamic would have been different. I suspect we would have come out gung-ho in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half as we had momentum from a later equaliser in the 1st half. Seems like instead the mentality was "We're a man up, play our game and be patient and we'll stroll this".

No reason to believe that the only outcome at HT if it were 11 v 11 was we would have easily been beaten.

Anyway, this doesn't change anything. We failed to capitalise on having the extra man and that's dissapointing.

As BR said himself, the conceded goals are both goals we can do something about to avoid it happening again.

Set piece drills required this week.
Are they not typical of the other goals we have already conceeded this season and as yet have done nothing about.

Your probably right about our mentality and thinking we could easily wrap the game up,but if Newcastle had 11 men i think they would have stayed strong and pushed for the win.
In a first half in which they where the slightly better team,there was no reason to think that just cause they conceeded a goal before halftime that they would crumble in the 2nd half,had they still had all 11 men on the pitch.

Considering they did only have 11 men 2nd half we should have capatilised on that and won the game,but such is our inability to control a game this season,particulary in the 2nd half,is it any surprise that we only managed a draw.We need to be winning games 1st half to be making up for what has been dismal performances in the 2nd halves.Since we where only drawn at 45mins,them loosing a man only evened things up giving us an opportunity not to be beaten in the 2nd half of this game.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
RedSeven said:
Are they not typical of the other goals we have already conceeded this season and as yet have done nothing about.

Your probably right about our mentality and thinking we could easily wrap the game up,but if Newcastle had 11 men i think they would have stayed strong and pushed for the win.
In a first half in which they where the slightly better team,there was no reason to think that just cause they conceeded a goal before halftime that they would crumble in the 2nd half,had they still had all 11 men on the pitch.

Considering they did only have 11 men 2nd half we should have capatilised on that and won the game,but such is our inability to control a game this season,particulary in the 2nd half,is it any surprise that we only managed a draw.We need to be winning games 1st half to be making up for what has been dismal performances in the 2nd halves.Since we where only drawn at 45mins,them loosing a man only evened things up giving us an opportunity not to be beaten in the 2nd half of this game.
Indeed they are, but we've changed formation part way through our first 8 games, and changed the personell a number of times too. I just want to see a 4/5 at the back now and for them 4 to play week in week out so they can learn how to defend as a unit.

I know some will not agree, but I think we were weaker without Lucas in the team on Sat.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Obviously a very dissapointing result but I think there were extenuating circumstances. The pitch reminded me of the game at Stuke last season when the grass had been left longer than usual and the pitch heavily watered to stop our slick passing game and ensure the dribbling, skilfull side of our game was ineffective.
Having said that our first goal came from a long diagonal pass in behind their defence and the other from a build up on the left side, yet we spent most of the game trying to break through the solid, heavily populated area of their central defence with a lot of flicks and tip tap passes.We could have and should have spread the game wider, an obvious ploy against 10 men.
Add to that yet another goal conceded from a wide free kick and you have to wonder how effective are our coaches?
Someone said we missed Lucas. I fail to see how he would have helped to defend the free kick, we concede those when he is playing, or how he would have helped us to be more effective in attack as he is clearly a D.M.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
rupzzz said:
Indeed they are, but we've changed formation part way through our first 8 games, and changed the personell a number of times too. I just want to see a 4/5 at the back now and for them 4 to play week in week out so they can learn how to defend as a unit.

I know some will not agree, but I think we were weaker without Lucas in the team on Sat.
Cannot agree rupzzz. We should not be "practising defending in matches.That should be done on the training ground.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I don't mind all this "we're in a false position" stuff. We probably are. This is a team that is probably around 5/6 on paper, and we have benefitted from - and capitalised on - a very kind fixture list.

However, I note this argument was in very short supply last season when we were struggling at the bottom of the table after a horrendous run of opening fixtures.

Either the table can lie, or it can't. If we were shit after eight games last year, then we're brilliant after eight this year. Or alternatively who you play at what point can have a massive impact on your season, and we'd do well not to panic/celebrate on the basis of a small sample.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
costared said:
Cannot agree rupzzz. We should not be "practising defending in matches.That should be done on the training ground.
Ofcourse they should be doing it on the training ground. But anything learnt on the training groud doens't automatically mean it will work on the field of play. The defenders need to play matches to get in sync with one and other, under hostile, live play, situations.

That's just how football is in my opinion. Nothing can replicate actually playing. My point was more that we've continuously had personel changes in defence week in week out and what I'd like to see is continuity.

Already this season we've have the following back 4/5 in the Premier League.

Stoke - Johnson, Enrique, Toure, Agger
Villa - Johnson, Enrique, Toure, Agger
ManU - Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger
Swans - Enrique, Sakho, Skrtel, Wisdom
Saints - Toure, Sakho, Skrtel, Agger
S'land - Toure, Sakho, Skrtel, Enrique, Henderson
Palace - Toure, Sakho, Skrtel, Enrique, Henderson
Toon - Johnson, Cissokho, Skrtel, Toure, Sakho

Only twice have we seen the back line stay the same. Too many changes. Obviously some are forced due to injury. But what we need is 4/5 playing week in week out. I hope we see the same back 5 against WBA next Sat.

Claymenza

grooveshark said:
The one manager that has successfully used the diamond was Ancelotti at Milan. Very few other teams have used it because of how difficult it is a formation to balance out.

In his Milan team, he had Gattuso as a DM with an engine like no other, Pirlo pulling the strings, Kaka and Seerdorf. Gattuso was a world class DM, Pirlo was a borderline world class if not world class CM, Kaka was a world player of the year, Seerdorf though on the decline was still a fantastic player. Three of those players could create, Kaka and Seerdorf could take on a man.

I fot one dont advocate for it, the same manager tried it with Chelsea where he had limited success with it. At Milan, Gattuso could buy the defense time when they lost the ball, and the same happened last year at PSG with Matuidi.
It is also a possession based system that encourages for as many people in the opposition third as possible, Milan always had fullbacks going forward, same as Chelsea and a DM who could flat out run and tackle.

Hereon, BR doesnt have the players to pull it off, and when the team loses the ball, it would be a shambles. Go back to 4-2-3-1, stick with the idea he had with Suarez off the wing.
No team has three or 4 formations going into a season, most stick to one regardless of personel or injuries
gattuso has a good engine, while kaka's touch was great. The difference maker though was the calibur of seedorf being dynamic on the ball and pirlo who could pull strings.

mafiaman20

Midfield General
Think mentality was more to blame for this one. Newcastle were more up for it from the get-go and we struggled to get a grip on the game, maybe due to the previous clash between the two sides one thought it would be easy while the other was more determined not to lose in the same fashion again.

That said, Sakho or one of the other defenders should have came off at half-time while the game was there for the taking. Best time to assert dominance over ten men would be directly after the break; giving the opposition no time to adjust their game plan which was no doubt discussed at length during the half-time team talk.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I'm never one for the over analysis of a game as there are too many ifs buts and chaotic factors. The ball over for their second took a slight deflection which I think wrong foots Sakho and Cissokho. Suarez hit that shot at the end 5% too hard. Their first goal and the flight of the ball defied the laws of physics. The ball was hardly spinning but moved miles. That's just the luck of the draw. Positives for me were Gerrard's performance and Henderson (particularly in the second half) playing some excellent and insightful short and long passes.

As I posted in the pre match game, breaking down 10 men is often harder than 11 is one of the most oft mentioned cliches in football. I think Newcastle played very well and defended as a team. They won't lose many points at SJP this season I think particularly if they keep 11 on the pitch.

The worrying thing? Arsenal looked truly scarey on Saturday, we'll do well not to get a pounding.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
ptt said:
I'm never one for the over analysis of a game as there are too many ifs buts and chaotic factors. The ball over for their second took a slight deflection which I think wrong foots Sakho and Cissokho. Suarez hit that shot at the end 5% too hard. Their first goal and the flight of the ball defied the laws of physics. The ball was hardly spinning but moved miles. That's just the luck of the draw. Positives for me were Gerrard's performance and Henderson (particularly in the second half) playing some excellent and insightful short and long passes.

As I posted in the pre match game, breaking down 10 men is often harder than 11 is one of the most oft mentioned cliches in football. I think Newcastle played very well and defended as a team. They won't lose many points at SJP this season I think particularly if they keep 11 on the pitch.

The worrying thing? Arsenal looked truly scarey on Saturday, we'll do well not to get a pounding.
We'll have to defend well like Newcastle did against us to avoid a pounding. That and try to control midfield.

We're capable of beating anyone on our day, but results like the Saints one shows us that anything can happen. Just need to keep out fingers crossed. Think our last two games at the Emirates have ended with us winning one and ldrawing one.

grooveshark

Banned Users
Claymenza said:
gattuso has a good engine, while kaka's touch was great. The difference maker though was the calibur of seedorf being dynamic on the ball and pirlo who could pull strings.
There isnt a balance in this team to pull it off. Gattuso was a top 5 DM, Pirlo was a top 5 CM, Kaka was the best player in the world.
The one guy that wasnt in his prime was Clarence Seedorf and even then, he was one fantastic player on most days.

I personally dont think the system would work, Lucas doesnt have the engine, Gerrard doesnt have the ability to control tempo or pull the strings, Henderson doesnt have the creativity or goals.

Formation isnt the issue with the midfield, the team just isnt talented enough and that is why so many half decent midfields seem to have a better day.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
rupzzz said:
We'll have to defend well like Newcastle did against us to avoid a pounding. That and try to control midfield.

We're capable of beating anyone on our day, but results like the Saints one shows us that anything can happen. Just need to keep out fingers crossed. Think our last two games at the Emirates have ended with us winning one and ldrawing one.
The difference this season though is that Wenger's squad is really starting to tick with the maturing kids and Ozill. A discussion for another thread though.

If I was BR, I'd do nothing this week but have the whole squad taking corners and wide free kicks and defending them 11 vs 11 again and again and again......... Because I keep seeing us being hideous at them AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Sorry...... Caps lock off now, promise ;)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
ptt said:
As I posted in the pre match game, breaking down 10 men is often harder than 11 is one of the most oft mentioned cliches in football.
It comes down to the conditions at the time of the sending off. If Newcastle had been losing at the time, then you're always looking at a capitulation.

However if a team is winning or drawing, then they will always sit back, sacrifice an attacker, and try and and see out what they have. Anything they do will be on the counter or playing the odds on set pieces.

That's pretty much what Newcastle did.

Liverpool don't have much to turn to on the bench in those situations and that's why we found it hard work. Where Rodgers probably got it wrong was that he should have brought on Alberto earlier and played him centrally, moving Moses to the wing to run at the full back. We seem to have an ideological desire to play through the middle with flick ons and cute runs, and I just don't see it happening in that 10 men behind the ball scenario.

huwzie

TIA Regular
This is the way I see it.

To be honest with you, yes it is disappointing when we didn't score the winner especially against 10 men, but, we didn't lose.

We as a team haven't really started playing well yet and we're still not losing and sticking to the top. We have had some injuries and bans to contend with. A lot of players have left and a lot has come in and it seems we are trying new formations out during games to get the right balance.

I honestly believe when we start finding real form and it clicks then we will be a force. We're still struggling to keep our concentration at the moment, probably because of the said problems of above. As long as we keep on attacking and probing in games and keep the ball better then our form will come.

So, its important to give the team credit for the way they have conducted themselves so far. We still need another option at times especially missing Coutinho, but he's still to come back and that will add depth again.

It seems so far with the internationals, as we start looking like we're finding our stride there is an international break and we lose a bit of momentum. So a big plus is we survived a good test away to Newcastle without defeat which keeps the team positive rather than under even more pressure because of a silly loss.

That's my take on it anyway.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Mascot88 said:
It comes down to the conditions at the time of the sending off. If Newcastle had been losing at the time, then you're always looking at a capitulation.

However if a team is winning or drawing, then they will always sit back, sacrifice an attacker, and try and and see out what they have. Anything they do will be on the counter or playing the odds on set pieces.

That's pretty much what Newcastle did.

Liverpool don't have much to turn to on the bench in those situations and that's why we found it hard work. Where Rodgers probably got it wrong was that he should have brought on Alberto earlier and played him centrally, moving Moses to the wing to run at the full back. We seem to have an ideological desire to play through the middle with flick ons and cute runs, and I just don't see it happening in that 10 men behind the ball scenario.
Saw it time and time again, going straight at the goal and meeting the whole Newcastle squad. How did we score? Winger (positionally anyway) crossing for a well taken goal. I agree, Moses should have been doing what he does, running down the wings. Given the way Alberto played, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start the remaining games before Cou's fit.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Yep, Ptt.The pen came from a long diagonal pass from the wing and the goal came from an attack down the left.Johnson came in from wide right to have a good effort saved and Sturridge had a chance from a right side attack.Yet for most of the game we played little flicks and 2 yard passes trying to break through the heavily populated central area.Why?

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Mascot88 said:
I don't mind all this "we're in a false position" stuff. We probably are. This is a team that is probably around 5/6 on paper, and we have benefitted from - and capitalised on - a very kind fixture list.

However, I note this argument was in very short supply last season when we were struggling at the bottom of the table after a horrendous run of opening fixtures.

Either the table can lie, or it can't. If we were shit after eight games last year, then we're brilliant after eight this year. Or alternatively who you play at what point can have a massive impact on your season, and we'd do well not to panic/celebrate on the basis of a small sample.
Nail on the head.

I said at the beginning of the season that if we managed to get 20 points from 10 games, I'd be happy. It would make for a solid foundation and hopefully give the players a boost in confidence as well as creating a bit of momentum for the team. Obviously, it would by no means guarantee that we'd end the season with 76 points, but 20 points is still very achievable.

If that box gets ticked, then we'll hopefully keep harvesting an average of two points a game.

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
mafiaman20 said:
Think mentality was more to blame for this one. Newcastle were more up for it from the get-go and we struggled to get a grip on the game, maybe due to the previous clash between the two sides one thought it would be easy while the other was more determined not to lose in the same fashion again.
I initially thought that our players had given themselves the excuse of the international break, but your suggestion makes just as much, if not more sense.

Or maybe the two hypotheses combined in the player's psyche? It could possibly explain some of the dismal passing in that first half.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
It was another mediocre performance except this time our opponents had some good fortune so we dropped points.

Before the red card, we kept Newcastle's attempts to outside the box. 90-95% of the time, Cabaye's shot from that range isn't going in the back of the net. (Unfortunately, can't say the same about us defending set pieces).

Our failure to win against 10 men is pretty sad, but the game looked pretty even before the sending off and I'd say a draw was a fair result. Newcastle just looked more up for it than we did. Shame about our bench...

Moses's passing was quite poor from the #10 position (what's new) but I don't get why Rodgers didn't switch things up sooner.

Luis Alberto was impressive. Perfect game for someone like him.

Thoughts on why Rodgers sent Sterling back to the bench once we equalized? Overly careful? Wonder if it was Johnson that he planned to take out after 70 mins (i.e. what he eventually did) or if he was going to put Sterling at RM with Johnson behind him for 10 minutes (or vice versa with Moses+Sterling as wingers)

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
REDSkins said:
Before the red card, we kept Newcastle's attempts to outside the box. 90-95% of the time, Cabaye's shot from that range isn't going in the back of the net.
I'd say the percentages may be even higher than that but one just has to accept that sometimes a 100/1 shot is going to win, or in this case, score.

REDSkins said:
Thoughts on why Rodgers sent Sterling back to the bench once we equalized? Overly careful? Wonder if it was Johnson that he planned to take out after 70 mins (i.e. what he eventually did) or if he was going to put Sterling at RM with Johnson behind him for 10 minutes (or vice versa with Moses+Sterling as wingers)
I actually missed a bit of the second half, including our second goal.

If he planned to bring Sterling on at that stage, Rodgers may have been on the verge of a gamble. Let's face it, Sterling has not performed very well lately and I'd hardly shove him onto the field with any degree of confidence.

Now, if that's the case, I'd have to admire Brendan's bravery a little.

In my opinion, preparing to bring Sterling on is a sign that he was determined to get at least one point from the encounter. We were looking a little better in the second half though and if I were to guess, I'd say he realised two things:

- Yanking a player off the pitch shortly after we'd scored and replacing him with Sterling may have damaged the player's confidence and sowed a seed of mistrust amongst the ranks.

- The players' confidence would have been buoyed by the goal, so it was prudent to give them a little time in the hopes that they might score another.

This is conjecture, of course.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Poor Scouser Tommy said:
- The players' confidence would have been buoyed by the goal, so it was prudent to give them a little time in the hopes that they might score another.
This was what I was thinking...didn't want to kill the momentum with a substitution.

A more negative view could be that Rodgers was happy to settle for a point, and didn't want to make such an offensive sub at that point in the game just in case Newcastle countered on us. But given the way we played, it seemed like we wanted to get the 3 points. Certainly the players did. Really would have been great for both the player and the team if Luis Alberto scored off that shot :\

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
REDSkins said:
This was what I was thinking...didn't want to kill the momentum with a substitution.

A more negative view could be that Rodgers was happy to settle for a point, and didn't want to make such an offensive sub at that point in the game just in case Newcastle countered on us. But given the way we played, it seemed like we wanted to get the 3 points. Certainly the players did. Really would have been great for both the player and the team if Luis Alberto scored off that shot :\
Probably Sterling (eventually on for Glen) did kill the momentum and it did him no favours, although Sterling made one great run (but again a heavy touch) which should have won the match.

The Luis Alberto introduction probably changed the match, just in going 4 at the back and in thus pushing Moses to LW. A bit too late though as well, as waiting until 70 minutes to look to exploit width was waiting too long IMO. Up until the 70th minute, we went with slowish build-up and we went very narrow (and always went centrally) to try to open them up. The game was crying out for width long before that IMO ...but we have so little genuine width nowadays.

I was all for putting Sterling on myself, as he has 3 goals and 6 assists this term in 12 games (mostly LFC U21 or England U21, but still) ...but not by then deploying him as a makeshift RB. That was just wrong.