Post match: Newcastle v Liverpool EPL (4/5/2019 7.45pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • Lovren (off 86’)

• Van Dijk (GOAL 13’)

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Wijaldum (off 66’)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Salah (GOAL 27’, off 73’)

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Sturridge

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Mane

• Shaqiri (on 66’)

• Origi (on 73’, GOAL 86’)

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Milner (on 86’)

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Wow. Just wow. It was mental in the pub.

Watched it with a few mates, one who was at hillsborough.

When we scored the 3rd goal, my head fell into my hands. I was screaming and shouting inside, but a nervous wreck outside.

The pub went mental, but I could hear no sound.

I looked at my mate - his eyes were red. There were tears. I’ll never forget that look.

We hugged. Then got off our seats like 2 really old men, and just gave loads of hugs to everyone. Jumped, shouted.

Once the match ended, high fives all round. Loads of others in the pub came to say goodbye and well done - like we were on the pitch.

Some other mates from pub nearby popped in - more high fives and hugs.

What does football do to us all.

We go to anfield next Sunday - and it’s all on.

We are Leicester fans tomorrow.

Oh, and there’s that other match on Tuesday where we find ourselves 3-0 down at half time.

But if you listen, it’s there - “And you’ll never walk alone.....”

William Clarke

redshirt
Now you just have to explain clutch! Hahahaha

Game was on at stupid o'clock here in Darwin, Australia so not seen it yet. Based on the comments I think I will save my aging heart and just watch the highlights!
Yeah, mate, and have a defibrillator to hand. It was a nervy game, but gawd a'mighty, when Big Div got in that header ... Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Noo Noo

That was pretty mental. My frustrations at our performance last night are more than balanced by the sheer grit and determination showed by them. I am lost for words on what these guys are doing.

However, on a pure football note I was a bit disappointed at our level of control in the game. We didn't get a grip of it at all. Yes, we were seriously jaded etc. but that's even more reason to really control the game and tempo. Let them do the running. Even when we went ahead we were still pushing, we didn't need to stretch ourselves. We needed to keep the ball and kill the game. For me, while Fabinho is quickly becoming our most important midfielder there is still that degree of leadership and control missing.

C'mon Leicester

Redopium

That was a proper roler coaster ride, delighted to see Origi and shaqiri contribute to the winner, Trent had a great game and Virgil was great, Lovren looked a bit panicky and Danny was immobile as usual, we did look tired especially in the second half but we kept going and got what we deserved, Newcastle played like it was a cup final and a trophy if they beat us, why did they not do that all season? Pressure back on city I just hope Rodgers don't cost us another pl title today. lol lol.

No matter if we win the title or not, we can't be accused of being bottlers at all. 90-something points isn't a sign of a team which bottles it as well as making a semi final of the UCL*

- We lost a key player mid season last season, made the UCL final and qualified for the Champions League

Then signed only 4 players in the summer

And have gone from scraping into UCL in the league to a final day title challenge with a record points tally for our club

Our season is successful, title or not, because now Europe takes us seriously again

we're establishing ourselves as European elite and have foundations in place on and off the field which combined financial growth whilst not compromising on transfer success and finding the right player for the team

People calling us "bottlers" come from clubs in the top 6 whose clubs don't have the vision and plan in place for long term growth (pretty much everyone bar us and City)

William Clarke

redshirt
No matter if we win the title or not, we can't be accused of being bottlers at all. 90-something points isn't a sign of a team which bottles it as well as making a semi final of the UCL*

- We lost a key player mid season last season, made the UCL final and qualified for the Champions League

Then signed only 4 players in the summer

And have gone from scraping into UCL in the league to a final day title challenge with a record points tally for our club

Our season is successful, title or not, because now Europe takes us seriously again

we're establishing ourselves as European elite and have foundations in place on and off the field which combined financial growth whilst not compromising on transfer success and finding the right player for the team

People calling us "bottlers" come from clubs in the top 6 whose clubs don't have the vision and plan in place for long term growth (pretty much everyone bar us and City)
And we know Citeh are where they are because of their big finances. They see a player they want and they dip their hands into their oil-rich money pot and buy him. Let's hope UEFA rein them in over FFP rules.

melbournered

Let’s be honest amongst ourselves, that was never a foul on Fabinho for the free kick. He’s gone down like the Belgrano from a very slight touch. If that was given against us and we’d lost the game as a result we’d be going crazy.
Maybe so. But maybe we have to apply the same shithousery tactics that we cop all the time.? No more Mr nice guy.

MinniMo

It was the best option for Klopp to put on both Shaq and Origi as subs when he did, for VVD to have a huge mouth and voice demanding Shaq took the freekick from TAA, and for Fab learning from Messi how to wangle a freekick in the right place. Teamwork, excellent - more please!

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
What a heart stopping match! So glad we got the win, was really nerve racking that last 30 minutes but Divock strikes again to win us the match.

Certainly not the best match, very sloppy at times especially after we score. Just couldn't keep them from hitting back for some reason. Felt that the Barca match both past and future was in their heads. To play so well and to lose 3-0 was tough for us but the players must feel 100 times worse. Didn't see a lot of commitment from the players with most still stuck in their heads but when we lost the lead for the second time we saw what this team is made of. They never gave up and fought till they got the lead again and this time kept it.

So many poor performances but mainly by Henderson and Sturridge and some below par ones from Gini and Mane. How Sturridge was given the start is confusing cause he doesn't fight and can't run so what does he bring? Finishing you say but he had one good chance but hit it high and wide. Hendo I blame for the first goal. He went walkabout to the left side and left Sturridge to help Trent which he should have known was never going to be much help.

keeganmustscore

That was pretty mental. My frustrations at our performance last night are more than balanced by the sheer grit and determination showed by them. I am lost for words on what these guys are doing.

However, on a pure football note I was a bit disappointed at our level of control in the game. We didn't get a grip of it at all. Yes, we were seriously jaded etc. but that's even more reason to really control the game and tempo. Let them do the running. Even when we went ahead we were still pushing, we didn't need to stretch ourselves. We needed to keep the ball and kill the game. For me, while Fabinho is quickly becoming our most important midfielder there is still that degree of leadership and control missing.

C'mon Leicester
yeah the geordies were really up for it , have to say that crowd is worth a goal for them , they have a limited team ,and deserve better the owner is the meanest in the premier league , we got lucky they scored first goal or it was a,pen and we are down to 10 men for most of the game, and the winner came from a shocking dive , really embarrasing , we should be winning against a honest hard working but very ordinary team much easier than that with the talent in the team

dockers_strike

Morning after the night before and all that, I think my blood pressure has about returned to normal. Breath taking, pure and simple, breath taking. Like most, I know Im probably a bit too hard on the players during games, more so the televised ones than when Im actually in the ground.

It's nice to know that yet again, teams go eyeballs out against us and roll over for city although in Newcastle's case, they at least put city to the sword. I sincerely hope both Leicester and Brighton make life as tough for city as they did for us in the relevant fixtures.

Had a look at a couple of Toon forums. Blimey, one of their so called most popular forum's match thread was a massive 6 pages long and that included pre and post match comments! Also read a few of their 'Anyone but Liverpool' comments. Really is incredible the number of fans who do not like us. They drag up allsorts of reasons from we're not a big club, spent like city and chelsea have done recently when we dominated in the 70's and 80s and of course, the 'We'll never hear the last of it' if we do win it. Some of those people need to concentrate on their own club a bit more, Id say.

keeganmustscore

Morning after the night before and all that, I think my blood pressure has about returned to normal. Breath taking, pure and simple, breath taking. Like most, I know Im probably a bit too hard on the players during games, more so the televised ones than when Im actually in the ground.

It's nice to know that yet again, teams go eyeballs out against us and roll over for city although in Newcastle's case, they at least put city to the sword. I sincerely hope both Leicester and Brighton make life as tough for city as they did for us in the relevant fixtures.

Had a look at a couple of Toon forums. Blimey, one of their so called most popular forum's match thread was a massive 6 pages long and that included pre and post match comments! Also read a few of their 'Anyone but Liverpool' comments. Really is incredible the number of fans who do not like us. They drag up allsorts of reasons from we're not a big club, spent like city and chelsea have done recently when we dominated in the 70's and 80s and of course, the 'We'll never hear the last of it' if we do win it. Some of those people need to concentrate on their own club a bit more, Id say.
you actually search for another clubs forum, spend time analysing it then post a lengthy riposte , then end it with some people need to concentrate on their own club more

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Lovren still makes me nervous

Kopstar

★★★★★

You'd say that as you browse another club's fan forums? ;-)

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Well that was tense; way to tense for an crotchety auld codger like me. The only way I can get through it is in a semi-comatose state induced by the drink. The downside of which is the morning after, and being awoken, in exquisite agony, by the cat stamping about on the landing.

And it's all well and good you young whippersnappers joking about defibrillators, spare a thought for those of us who only survive by snorting Ramapril and mainlining Simvastatine. Not to mention the facial chaffing caused by the ever present oxygen mask.

Anyway, kudos to the lads, some of whom clearly looked out on their feet, putting in one hell of a shift and delivering when it mattered.

It was never going to be easy but I didn't expect the rough-house tactics from the barcodes. So much for Benitez giving us a helping hand. Evidently the fat Spanish waiter has adopted the ethos of an ale-house clogging team with a determination to kick us off the park.

In this their enterprise was ably assisted by probably the worst referee in the Premier League. In any other profession chronic myopia coupled with tunnel vision and colour blindness might prove to be career ending; not so for a Premier League referee where apparently it is considered an asset.

Mané almost gets his head kicked off by manquillo's high boot. It was in the penalty area, but the ref saw nothing wrong with it; serves Mané right for going for the ball. Penalty? Don't be daft, play on. While you're at it, why not polish your studs on Mo's calves, he's only an Egyptian so it doesn't count. And if a Liverpool player gets in your way, well push him out of it; you might as well push him even if he isn't in your way. So what if the ball comes off you and goes out of play; don't worry, you can have the throw in, no way am I giving it to Liverpool...

None of which made it to MOTD, whose pundits were full of praise for the barcodes; but there's no bias on the beeb, is there jug-ears?

Onwards, and upwards, only two, or hopefully three hangovers to go before the end of the season. Please God Mo will be fit for the barca game, no thanks to dubravka, benitez or marriner.