• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Newcastle v Liverpool EPL (4/5/2019 7.45pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • Lovren (off 86’)

• Van Dijk (GOAL 13’)

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Wijaldum (off 66’)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Salah (GOAL 27’, off 73’)

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Sturridge

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Mane

• Shaqiri (on 66’)

• Origi (on 73’, GOAL 86’)

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Milner (on 86’)

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Ron Swanson

Thought I would leave it toil today for my thoughts as did not want to be over emotional, but still feel the same, my blood pressure has resumed back to normal and didn't sleep much last night due to still buzzing from that result.
No matter what happens next weekend we can't fault the lads commitment nor Jurgen they have been bloody fantastic, it just shows what a club needs now to compete with City but we have kept up with them neck and neck.
If they draw tomorrow night, next weekend I am going to be a mess but thank you Jurgen and thank you lads you have made me beyond proud to be a supporter the never say die attitude, they are just bloody brilliant.
Oh and give Trent, Robbo and Virgil lifetime contracts and Origi an extended one may never be a consistent start but that lad has scored some important goal for us.
The future for these lads and this team is just so exciting

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Wow. Just wow. It was mental in the pub.

Watched it with a few mates, one who was at hillsborough.

When we scored the 3rd goal, my head fell into my hands. I was screaming and shouting inside, but a nervous wreck outside.

The pub went mental, but I could hear no sound.

I looked at my mate - his eyes were red. There were tears. I’ll never forget that look.

We hugged. Then got off our seats like 2 really old men, and just gave loads of hugs to everyone. Jumped, shouted.

Once the match ended, high fives all round. Loads of others in the pub came to say goodbye and well done - like we were on the pitch.

Some other mates from pub nearby popped in - more high fives and hugs.

What does football do to us all.

We go to anfield next Sunday - and it’s all on.

We are Leicester fans tomorrow.

Oh, and there’s that other match on Tuesday where we find ourselves 3-0 down at half time.

But if you listen, it’s there - “And you’ll never walk alone.....”
At the end of a storm there’s a golden sky and the sweet silverware of the PL

RedLar

Yeah, think they do. Depends on the test results after he’s taken off. The one bit of hope though is that he walked out of the ground and back on to the team bus. Don’t think that would have happened if he had a concussion.
Well, not sure about that. Plenty of rugby players go off the park under their own steam and don't get back on. If they went off on a stretcher, I reckon there'd be no chance of seeing them. I thought concussion injuries demanded several weeks before a player can hit the field again. Perhaps that's a rugby thing too. Anyone know the footy ruling for concussion, if any at all?

RedLar

Wow. Just wow. It was mental in the pub.

Watched it with a few mates, one who was at hillsborough.

When we scored the 3rd goal, my head fell into my hands. I was screaming and shouting inside, but a nervous wreck outside.

The pub went mental, but I could hear no sound.

I looked at my mate - his eyes were red. There were tears. I’ll never forget that look.

We hugged. Then got off our seats like 2 really old men, and just gave loads of hugs to everyone. Jumped, shouted.

Once the match ended, high fives all round. Loads of others in the pub came to say goodbye and well done - like we were on the pitch.

Some other mates from pub nearby popped in - more high fives and hugs.

What does football do to us all.

We go to anfield next Sunday - and it’s all on.

We are Leicester fans tomorrow.

Oh, and there’s that other match on Tuesday where we find ourselves 3-0 down at half time.

But if you listen, it’s there - “And you’ll never walk alone.....”
Shawshank post of the year right there..... I need a bucket for me tears.

RedLar

Well, not sure about that. Plenty of rugby players go off the park under their own steam and don't get back on. If they went off on a stretcher, I reckon there'd be no chance of seeing them. I thought concussion injuries demanded several weeks before a player can hit the field again. Perhaps that's a rugby thing too. Anyone know the footy ruling for concussion, if any at all?
The most recent thing I had from epl rulings is minimum of 6 days off from playing if diagnosed concussion. Not sure how, if at all, it shifts to European matches. Either way, risky to play him Tuesday, if concussed on the weekend. Pretty sure he would have failed any HIA at Newcastle, but doubt any independent assessment exists. Reckon it will be down to the player and club.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Well that was tense; way to tense for an crotchety auld codger like me. The only way I can get through it is in a semi-comatose state induced by the drink. The downside of which is the morning after, and being awoken, in exquisite agony, by the cat stamping about on the landing.

And it's all well and good you young whippersnappers joking about defibrillators, spare a thought for those of us who only survive by snorting Ramapril and mainlining Simvastatine. Not to mention the facial chaffing caused by the ever present oxygen mask.

Anyway, kudos to the lads, some of whom clearly looked out on their feet, putting in one hell of a shift and delivering when it mattered.

It was never going to be easy but I didn't expect the rough-house tactics from the barcodes. So much for Benitez giving us a helping hand. Evidently the fat Spanish waiter has adopted the ethos of an ale-house clogging team with a determination to kick us off the park.

In this their enterprise was ably assisted by probably the worst referee in the Premier League. In any other profession chronic myopia coupled with tunnel vision and colour blindness might prove to be career ending; not so for a Premier League referee where apparently it is considered an asset.

Mané almost gets his head kicked off by manquillo's high boot. It was in the penalty area, but the ref saw nothing wrong with it; serves Mané right for going for the ball. Penalty? Don't be daft, play on. While you're at it, why not polish your studs on Mo's calves, he's only an Egyptian so it doesn't count. And if a Liverpool player gets in your way, well push him out of it; you might as well push him even if he isn't in your way. So what if the ball comes off you and goes out of play; don't worry, you can have the throw in, no way am I giving it to Liverpool...

None of which made it to MOTD, whose pundits were full of praise for the barcodes; but there's no bias on the beeb, is there jug-ears?

Onwards, and upwards, only two, or hopefully three hangovers to go before the end of the season. Please God Mo will be fit for the barca game, no thanks to dubravka, benitez or marriner.
Good post in the whole, but I take exception with the 'fat spanish waiter' tag. That's something for Everton or United supporters. It has always angered me to hear or read this, even more when it's a Liverpool supporter writing it. Rafa doesn't deserve this from anyone of us.

Yes he used any means at disposal to stop us including some rude treatment on a physical level, but you couldn't expect anything else from him. He's an integer man, not someone who would ever want to cheat on his current club, or to distort the league by giving us a free pass. I respect him even more for that. His lads forced ours to give everything they had, but that makes these three points even sweeter!

Fully agree on your points about the ref. Part of his job is to protect the players, and he did none of that. How he missed that stonewall pen on Mané is absolutely beyond anything. This guy should be sacked at once, but instead, he's one of the PL key refs since years. Go figure....

Edit: forget the above about Rafa, I missed the joke, silly me... :well done:

Last edited:

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I’ve just read Jamie Carragher’s verdict on the Newcastle game for Sky Sports and I think he must have been watching a different game to me. His version of events, in my opinion, is grossly unfair to Liverpool and not a balanced report of how the game went. I think he at times, he tries too hard to look impartial, especially were Liverpool are concerned.

Limiescouse

This week's competition - Please complete the following in five words or less:

"This isn't a foul because..."

bal

Answers please in Braille on the back of an used £10 note ...
"He got the ball first"

"There was no intent"

"He has every right to go for that ball"

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I'm looking for reasons that was deemed less serious than the red card Mane got against City for the raised foot against Ederson, and coming up blank. Anyone help me out here?

I cannot wait until VAR is brought into the league. It has issues obviously but at least we may seem some semblance of consistency applied from match to match.

Limiescouse

I'm looking for reasons that was deemed less serious than the red card Mane got against City for the raised foot against Ederson, and coming up blank. Anyone help me out here?

I cannot wait until VAR is brought into the league. It has issues obviously but at least we may seem some semblance of consistency applied from match to match.
Injury. Refs make decisions on outcomes not actions.

Furthermore, as Ive said a million times, it was Ederson who actually caused that incident by launching himself at Mane like a torpedo. What ederson did wouldnt have been legal in rugby.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

Probably the main differentiation is that in the Ederson collision, Mane led and made contact with his studs. That sort of frames it for the ref as 'why is not a red card', with the usual answer being 'it is'.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I’ve just read Jamie Carragher’s verdict on the Newcastle game for Sky Sports and I think he must have been watching a different game to me. His version of events, in my opinion, is grossly unfair to Liverpool and not a balanced report of how the game went. I think he at times, he tries too hard to look impartial, especially were Liverpool are concerned.
True, he doesn't want to look biased towards Liverpool on camera, but behind the lens he is as wildly supportive of our club as the rest of us.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
True, he doesn't want to look biased towards Liverpool on camera, but behind the lens he is as wildly supportive of our club as the rest of us.
Didn't you see him urging Shaqiri to make an in-swinging free-kick towards the end, and then writing something in his notebook with a calm look on his face? ;-)

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Didn't you see him urging Shaqiri to make an in-swinging free-kick towards the end, and then writing something in his notebook with a calm look on his face? ;-)
Our supporters will just have to believe in him. Have they forgotten how he was suspended by Sky for gobbing at a Manure supporter? I don't agree with him for doing that, but it shows his feelings for LFC.

Noo Noo

Haven't read the article you're referring to but I have seen a number of Carragher's post match reviews on TV this season. I would never say he's impartial, not in the slightest especially with Neville there. The two kind of balance each other out.

To me Carragher is trying to be honest and if that means saying certain things through gritted teeth he will do. I think that's fair enough considering that no performance is absolutely perfect but he is riding the wave that Klopp and co have created this year, much to Nevilles discomfort.

I'm sure United fans would see it the other way round because that's how we all are as fans. In exactly the same way we agree disagree on fouls etc.

Joe Gomez x

Listening to these commentators on the city game praise Sterlings maturity beyond his years, I swear the mans about 24/25 not 18/19 lol