• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Palace v Liverpool (EPL 23/11/19 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Lovren

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 51 46.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Henderson [off 79']

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 64']

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 86', off 89']

Votes: 36 33.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 49']

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • Origi [on 64']

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner [on 79']

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [on 89']

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedLar

We are looking less stable at the back but on the same note, VAR is also to blame for how many 'chances' are conceding imo. Zaha was unmarked for that late chance because he was supposed to be as the defensive line pushed up. We did not get an extended replay on my coverage as it was so close to full time and the cunts were doing this Goal Rush fucking job so they kept switching away to other games. Anyway, I digree, Zaha looked slightly off from the few replays we got and it would not have surprised me if he was given off on review if he had scored it but its looked horribly open and gets logged as a chance as VAR only gets involved when its in the back of the net and so it has been with quite a few of chances that we have conceded that have been offside.

I really dont think its as bad as it looks because of this but that said, it would be nice to start keeping teams out again more often than not.
I think you will find TAA kept him onside on the far side as he was not in line with the defensive line. Shit you not.

Not sure why but we tend to switch Robbo and TAA from left to right back etc. when we defend corners. Watching Robbo on that Zaha sitter, he is all over the fucking place. Completely forgets his now Right Back responsibilites. Both Gomez and TAA look to be playing Zaha on, if only just. I dont like the defensive changed Klopp makes wehn we try to defend a lead, as it just seems to fuck us up more than help, we then concede possession and itnitiative to the opposition, more than anything else.

Last edited:

Show me the Mane

If Mane buries the absolute sitter that Henderson lays on to him by slicing open their defence with a beautifully weighted throughball, nobody is criticising the midfield for not being creative enough.
Very true..
Also the way the full backs bomb forward and assist in lots of chances the midfield don't necessary have too. No other team have full backs like we do.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
VERY LATE MATCH REPORT FROM MY COUCH:

Woke up Saturday morning feeling tense but gave myself a rallying call - BELIEVER, its in our hands, we have no fear. LETS DO THIS.

Had to go do some work till noon - then got back home, west ham and spurs had started but had no interest in that CIRCUS (which are the names of Jose's last 6 teams - Chelsea, Inter, Real, Chelsea, United, Spurs).

Could feel anxiety building up then teams announced - kind of relieved feeling that Robbo starts and even Salah made the bench. Always unsure of Ox playing in the front 3, he's better in the middle. Origi is a better option in my opinion.

And the game starts, found a stream which is always delayed by a few mins, but had Radio Five Live on - live radio. Haven't listened to a match in a long time.

And so half time comes, but looks like the standard post international break disjointed performance. 2nd half and bang. Sadiooooooo. Nice.
But then......

Deflated. Only for "Something that the Kop want you to know".... Best in the world, what's his name?

Lets hold on and hold out now. Done. Beautiful 3 points. You could hear the disappointment of the vast majority of fans that want us to slip up.
We were out all evening straight after the game - so didn't keep up with City Chelsea game. Got home late - but still watched MOTD.

And there we have it. The Red Machine walks on, and on. Great start to the next sequence of games. This Team is something else. I've not witnessed this sort of ride with the Redmen (too young in the 70's and 80's)..... bring on the next game. Nothing beats this.
Gave this a “like” - primarily (but not exclusively) for the CIRCUS

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Sat in a Tesco car park not far from the Emptihad. I’ve just done a bit of shopping while Mrs CDO watches Citoil. Had a bite to eat in the Asda over from the Emptihad pre game. Talk about mood swings. All the locals were sullen faced on the whole for much of our time there. Then there was an upsurge in spirits for a while only for a lot of fume to suddenly take over the mood of the general populace.
I’m not quite sure what could have caused it. ;)
I could not watch live, had to take one of the boys to Saturday morning basketball. Made sure to turn off Google updates on my phone, the plan was to get home and watch it on delay. Somewhere around 11:35 Eastern time, fellow in the gym watching the kids suddenly bellows 'FIRMINO!!!!', then looks around sheepishly at the other quizzical parents. Didn't know him before yesterday...

So, the ending was not quite the surprise it could have been for me.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
So amid all of the discussion about our recent and puzzling defensive frailty .....I offer 2 points....
The first is that we’ve only given up 11 goals this season - third best in the league - and not too bad really
What’s bizarre is that Leicester - under Rogers - have only give up 8 - what happened to the conventional wisdom that BR couldn’t organize a defense?

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Iv been watching this for an hour and that girl is still going. She must be offspring of jimmy Milner.

As for two other points I have just read scrolling through this thread...
1.) for me it is a foul on lovren. It’s actually a stupid foul as well as lovren wasn’t going to get to the ball. Pre VAR that goal is given. But thankfully for us we seem to have prepared ourselves for the changes VAR have brought in. I wonder if it’s something Klopp has worked on?

2.) we have only dropped 2 points this season and we are almost in December. Iv not felt this smug since the Barcelona second leg.

[email protected]

So amid all of the discussion about our recent and puzzling defensive frailty .....I offer 2 points....
The first is that we’ve only given up 11 goals this season - third best in the league - and not too bad really
What’s bizarre is that Leicester - under Rogers - have only give up 8 - what happened to the conventional wisdom that BR couldn’t organize a defense?
1. He has the defensive coach as part of his coaching staff that he so disparaged during his time here and, probably more importantly;
2. He didn't get to buy/bring in his own players. The Leicester back 4 and the Leicester defensive midfield were all there before him. Alot has also been made about the form of Tielemans and that Rodgers 'got' him in however this is also a fallacy as he joined on loan in the January window before Rodgers was hire however this is conveniently ignored as its not really a story then is it and its easy to get away with as he signed a contract in the summer window so, you know.., its technically true 'wink wink''. Ayoze Perez is basically the only one signed during his tenure who has really featured this season. Naturally, he is lapping it all up and the narrative amongst the pundits is how he has built this squad which is absolutely flabbergasting but then, also completely predictable.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
1. He has the defensive coach as part of his coaching staff that he so disparaged during his time here and, probably more importantly;
2. He didn't get to buy/bring in his own players. The Leicester back 4 and the Leicester defensive midfield were all there before him. Alot has also been made about the form of Tielemans and that Rodgers 'got' him in however this is also a fallacy as he joined on loan in the January window before Rodgers was hire however this is conveniently ignored as its not really a story then is it and its easy to get away with as he signed a contract in the summer window so, you know.., its technically true 'wink wink''. Ayoze Perez is basically the only one signed during his tenure who has really featured this season. Naturally, he is lapping it all up and the narrative amongst the pundits is how he has built this squad which is absolutely flabbergasting but then, also completely predictable.
Or, and playing devils advocate here, maybe he’s improving as a manager and learning from his mistakes.
And I must emphasise I’m playing devils advocate. The above statement does not necessarily reflect my opinion and no animals were hurt in this process.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I think you will find TAA kept him onside on the far side as he was not in line with the defensive line. Shit you not.

Not sure why but we tend to switch Robbo and TAA from left to right back etc. when we defend corners. Watching Robbo on that Zaha sitter, he is all over the fucking place. Completely forgets his now Right Back responsibilites. Both Gomez and TAA look to be playing Zaha on, if only just. I dont like the defensive changed Klopp makes wehn we try to defend a lead, as it just seems to fuck us up more than help, we then concede possession and itnitiative to the opposition, more than anything else.
Zahar definitely on side and although about 6 other palace players were off they were not interfering with play. We were very lucky he missed.

Overall I don’t think we’d could have complained if it had been a draw.

I was also very impressed by Zahar Took TAA to the cleaners and back all afternoon. He could do a great job for us coming on late against tired defenders. I’ve always been a fan of a tricky impact winger sub.

It would be a massive statement of intent if we bought him for £80m in January.

Alright Now

Zahar definitely on side and although about 6 other palace players were off they were not interfering with play. We were very lucky he missed.

Overall I don’t think we’d could have complained if it had been a draw.

I was also very impressed by Zahar Took TAA to the cleaners and back all afternoon. He could do a great job for us coming on late against tired defenders. I’ve always been a fan of a tricky impact winger sub.

It would be a massive statement of intent if we bought him for £80m in January.
I sort of think Shakespeare was right when he wrote about Zaha: “Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing.” I think 10m would be a better starting point for discussion than 80m.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter

This is the Sadio goal, and what I was going on about in my post match review.

1. Sadio shoots.
  2. Keeper saves, putting right spin on ball.
  3. Ball hits post creating reverse spin.
  4. Ball going wide, however spin curls it into net.
Wonderful.

2.25 into video in case it doesn’t start at correct place.

[email protected]

Thanks for that. Because the only plan Palace actually have is 'give it to Wilf and lets see', it makes Trent seem more exposed than he actually was. Zaha is a fucking skilful player and can give anyone a hard time when he's arsed but that is his game; get the ball, dribble, run at fullback, rinse, repeat. Trent performed admirably against one of the trickiest tests he will come up against. He will probably be saying thank fuck that's over, mind.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Needing improvement does not mean it isn't working, it may need a bit more creativity as an option. And that's an improvement. I am pretty sure if you asked Klopp if he'd like to have one super creative midfielder as an option for him, he would say yes. Spurs had a very good team to get them to the Champs League final, see where they are now without proper improvement? Every team needs to improve in the right spot of their team/squad. Discussing we do need a more creative midfield to be an option is not wrong though, is it?
I generally believe that the squad needs to be in a continual cycle of improvement. If there is an opportunity to improve any position, we should take it.

The question is regarding midfield. Is it in need of improvement, over the others. I think the performance of this team based on the last 18 months suggests not. Unless the argument is that we’ve been somehow lucky in that time.

Does Klopp want a more creative midfielder? I’m not sure he does. Certainly not if the lad can thread a pass through the eye of a needle, but can’t be arsed to track back and help the defence or full backs, or do any of the dirty work done by Gini and Hendo.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I generally believe that the squad needs to be in a continual cycle of improvement. If there is an opportunity to improve any position, we should take it.

The question is regarding midfield. Is it in need of improvement, over the others. I think the performance of this team based on the last 18 months suggests not. Unless the argument is that we’ve been somehow lucky in that time.

Does Klopp want a more creative midfielder? I’m not sure he does. Certainly not if the lad can thread a pass through the eye of a needle, but can’t be arsed to track back and help the defence or full backs, or do any of the dirty work done by Gini and Hendo.
We already have two more creative midfield options if/when we want them.

[email protected]

I think the situation is that because Trent and Robbo possess such quality and provide the assists that are usually made by an attacking midfielder or a midfield player we are not in a position where we absolutely 'have' to improve but considering how efficient we are with a relatively mundane midfield further up the pitch it is difficult not to ponder how absolutely frightening we would be with a top quality, hardworking and intelligent midfielder that's a step up further forward that what we currently have. Basically harnessing Allison, VVD and Fabinho, the threat, diligence and brilliance of Robbo and Trent down the flanks and the utter magnificence of our front three with just that one player would absolutely take this team one level up from an already extremely high level and place it up there as one of the great European teams of all time.

I really hope we win the Prem this season, keep this group together and add that one player.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Thanks for that. I watched the game a few hours later without the immediate emotion of a live game. Other than a very poor cross field pass that Palace took the ball and posed a dangerous attack, I thought TAA played very well, and was surprised by the comments on how bad he was. Also, I thought Robbo did well, especially after recovering from an ankle injury. Originally, I picked Robbo over Virg.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think the situation is that because Trent and Robbo possess such quality and provide the assists that are usually made by an attacking midfielder or a midfield player we are not in a position where we absolutely 'have' to improve but considering how efficient we are with a relatively mundane midfield further up the pitch it is difficult not to ponder how absolutely frightening we would be with a top quality, hardworking and intelligent midfielder that's a step up further forward that what we currently have. Basically harnessing Allison, VVD and Fabinho, the threat, diligence and brilliance of Robbo and Trent down the flanks and the utter magnificence of our front three with just that one player would absolutely take this team one level up from an already extremely high level and place it up there as one of the great European teams of all time.

I really hope we win the Prem this season, keep this group together and add that one player.
If there was midfielder with the energy and industry of Wijnaldum, the diligence and intelligence of Henderson, and the creativity and vision of Coutinho, he is basically the best player in the world. I don’t think he exists.

Wyld[email protected]

If there was midfielder with the energy and industry of Wijnaldum, the diligence and intelligence of Henderson, and the creativity and vision of Coutinho, he is basically the best player in the world. I don’t think he exists.
You dont need all of that; a player like De Bruyne or Silva is what I am referring to. They are not going to be taking the place of both Gini and Hendo in the midfield, just one at a time so no need to invent Superman as the only thing able to improve us as it really isn't. There are quality midfield players with a brain, no shortage of skill and a work ethic to boot out there. Jadon Sancho or the Havertz lad immediately spring to mind.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
He learned from his experience with us.
He is a also better manager since leaving due to his time with Celtic - that was a clever move. He hasn’t got a clue how to play in the CL though....#hesnoklopp

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We are looking less stable at the back but on the same note, VAR is also to blame for how many 'chances' are conceding imo. Zaha was unmarked for that late chance because he was supposed to be as the defensive line pushed up. We did not get an extended replay on my coverage as it was so close to full time and the cunts were doing this Goal Rush fucking job so they kept switching away to other games. Anyway, I digree, Zaha looked slightly off from the few replays we got and it would not have surprised me if he was given off on review if he had scored it but its looked horribly open and gets logged as a chance as VAR only gets involved when its in the back of the net and so it has been with quite a few of chances that we have conceded that have been offside.

I really dont think its as bad as it looks because of this but that said, it would be nice to start keeping teams out again more often than not.
Zaha was onside. If you're playing offside from a corner then you normally push up in a line rather than all run in a diagonal towards the ball. I know what you mean about some of the 'chances' against being offside. Happens a lot in the CL when play is allowed to run on, but not so much in the PL. I'm thinking of the Ings chance in the Southampton game, the Mount chance in the Chelsea game, the Krafth miss for Newcastle when it was 2-1. That's just off the top of my head. Big chances that really should be scored. VAR not saving us for any of those or Zaha's yesterday.

This time last year it was the attack that wasn't functioning properly and this year it's the defence. It's not unexpected that we're not perfect at this stage of the season. It's completely normal, as JK might say. With the internationals out of the way I expect us to improve from now on.