• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Palace v Liverpool (EPL 23/11/19 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Lovren

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 51 46.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Henderson [off 79']

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 64']

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 86', off 89']

Votes: 36 33.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 49']

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • Origi [on 64']

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner [on 79']

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [on 89']

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Zahar definitely on side and although about 6 other palace players were off they were not interfering with play. We were very lucky he missed.

Overall I don’t think we’d could have complained if it had been a draw.

I was also very impressed by Zahar Took TAA to the cleaners and back all afternoon. He could do a great job for us coming on late against tired defenders. I’ve always been a fan of a tricky impact winger sub.

It would be a massive statement of intent if we bought him for £80m in January.
Personally, I would go for the speed merchant Traore at Wolves. That lad's got speed to burn, can get round the back of defenders, and can cross the ball as well as putting a shot on goal. And I think we could get him a whole lot cheaper than Zaha.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I keep comparing this season to past ones ( not just under Klopp) . With Rafa we used to get results against better sides, but drop points against lesser sides. With BR it was the opposite, hammer weak sides but struggle against the better sides. Last season while great, most of our dropped points were against top 6 clubs.
now something has changed, we play like crap against lesser sides but get the results, and show up and give a performance against top teams.

as long as we win -I am not complaining

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member

Commando

Ad-free Member
This is a good video. The impression I got from watching the game live was that TAA was being rinsed but maybe that’s because my heart was in my mouth on the couple of occasions when Zaha wiggled free. Anyway good video and thanks for posting.

I find that a lot when rewatching matches. Things that seemed dicey or important on first watching don’t seem as worrying when you already know the outcome.
Saying that though. When I’ve seen replays of Eider Gudjonson’s shot across goal in the dying seconds of the CL semi in 2005 I still have my heart in my mouth.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Just watched the post match interview with TAA....I wonder if we didn't play 100% because...they've all got cold...
Hendo had it last week, now Trent...how many more have got the cold/flu bug....could that be the reason....well that's my theory.
Possibly,also us having a large amount of our squad out on international duty the past week and a half,when Palace had 4 players on duty,also they played the best game of their season against us according to Townsend,with knowing how are team react after Internationals,this was always going to be a scrappy game (one we could have lost in the past),plus Palace/Zaha always seem to up their game when they play us (why can't the fuckers do that for every game).All that matters is we got the win,3 points in the bag and Brighton up next,win that one and we secured Prem football for next season with 40 points.lol

Incognito

The Normal One
Why are international breaks worse for us than our rivals?
More players involved than rivals and the team we face? Difficult away games which others don't have at times? Or maybe all struggled considering Chelsea Arsenal Utd all dropped points and city, spurs also won by a solitary goal and it's just because we make them out to be?

Alright Now

I’d love to know our record after breaks. I’m not sure if they’re bad for us or if it’s simply perception. Can’t be that bad if we’re undefeated in the last 30. My guess is our rivals would take our post-break record, but that’s just a hunch.

Alright Now

Found this. We had lost 1 match after 16 breaks under Jurgen (now 17). But to your address your point more specifically, the article does have some interesting data on the competition we’ve faced and the times we’ve played after breaks. For instance, we’ve faced top six teams after half of those breaks and Everton in the remaining half. Thought it might answer our question to some extent:

Incognito

The Normal One
Found this. We had lost 1 match after 16 breaks under Jurgen (now 17). But to your address your point more specifically, the article does have some interesting data on the competition we’ve faced and the times we’ve played after breaks. For instance, we’ve faced top six teams after half of those breaks and Everton in the remaining half. Thought it might answer our question to some extent:

Excellent. That means ideally we should have struggled, but we have not.

Alright Now

Excellent. That means ideally we should have struggled, but we have not.
I’m actually surprised at our success post breaks now and extremely curious how perceptions develop. I guess I should check the statistics for accuracy, but I like the conclusion and see no need to verify it.

I suppose it doesn’t an answer two possible issues. First, are we applying some kind of seeing eye test as fans. Second, are other teams somehow (incredulously) faring even better. Fortunately, I care less about those issues.

3 points. Top of the league. After yet another break.

kopend79

I don't know Klopp and i don't pretend to understand what his thoughts on player recruitment are, but i am certain he wants a creative midfielder and the reason i believe this is because he has signed or tried to sign quite a few of them.
We have Ox and Keita, signed by Klopp.
He wanted Fekir, he wanted Gotze and he was desperate to keep Coutinho and he clearly loves Lallana.
All these players have that bit of finesse and cuteness to operate around the tight spaces and create.

The Hendo ball to Mane was a beaut but thats not the type of creativity we lack, thats actually a strength. Fab,Trent, Robbo and Hendo are excellent at playing those longer passes to pick out angled runs of Mo and Mane.
This team is brilliant but that is an area that could use some improvement, if Ox stays fit, problem solved, If Keita can become the player we know he is, excellent.
If it doesn't work out for those two i have no doubt klopp will continue looking for that type of player.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don't know Klopp and i don't pretend to understand what his thoughts on player recruitment are, but i am certain he wants a creative midfielder and the reason i believe this is because he has signed or tried to sign quite a few of them.
We have Ox and Keita, signed by Klopp.
He wanted Fekir, he wanted Gotze and he was desperate to keep Coutinho and he clearly loves Lallana.
All these players have that bit of finesse and cuteness to operate around the tight spaces and create.

The Hendo ball to Mane was a beaut but thats not the type of creativity we lack, thats actually a strength. Fab,Trent, Robbo and Hendo are excellent at playing those longer passes to pick out angled runs of Mo and Mane.
This team is brilliant but that is an area that could use some improvement, if Ox stays fit, problem solved, If Keita can become the player we know he is, excellent.
If it doesn't work out for those two i have no doubt klopp will continue looking for that type of player.
The plan changes. Since going for Gotze, Fekir and losing Coutinho, Trent and Robbo have emerged as the key creative players.

Klopp had the chance to sign Coutinho in the summer and decided to pass.

The problem with these mercurial creative players is that while they are buzzing about 25 yards from goal looking for that killer pass, they aren’t covering the full backs or ready to spring if we lose the ball and the opponent breaks. So to accommodate that type of player Klopp would need his full backs to stay back more, negating our most productive source of goals.

I’m no tactical genius, but even I can see that dropping a Silva or Coutinho type in place of Hendo or Gini has all kinds of knock on issues.

This is where Keita comes in. We’ve previously said that Klopp wants a bit more creativity, but while still retaining the work rate and diligence of his current lads. I think this was meant to be Keita, but for a variety of reasons it hasn’t happened.

Sweeting

Am I the only one who thought Trent played Zaha quite well? He beat him once or twice but we are talking about a guy who is strong, super quick and probably the best dribbler in the league - for most part Trent stood up to the challenge and managed to get a foot in or force him to run around.

I feel like the narrative of "Zaha abused TAA" was written before the game kicked off.

I do still think signing Zaha would be a great move for us also.

Edit: Just looked back one page and realised I am not the only person to think this. I will climb down from my horse...

Incognito

The Normal One
Thinking from the other perspective, couldn't the lack of creativity from the middle a reason to seek it from full backs? Maybe the full backs are being burdened because the creativity is not coming from the middle of the park?

Having said that, when Ox and Keita plays, given our fullbacks have the habit of venturing forward we are easy to play against from the middle of the park and channels are opened up because of the lack of cover.

Hence am not sure if the next logical step in improving the team is as simple as adding a creative player who should also do the dirty work like our current mids do. Doing that would be extremely difficult. There will have to be some sacrifice at one or the other area of the pitch.

We actually have a good mix now to change the focus of attack. Can vary as situation demands.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I’m actually surprised at our success post breaks now and extremely curious how perceptions develop. I guess I should check the statistics for accuracy, but I like the conclusion and see no need to verify it.

I suppose it doesn’t an answer two possible issues. First, are we applying some kind of seeing eye test as fans. Second, are other teams somehow (incredulously) faring even better. Fortunately, I care less about those issues.

3 points. Top of the league. After yet another break.
My perception is that we don't play as well but we get the results. It takes us time to get going and we look disjointed and lethargic, but we may well be under instruction to start games carefully given the lack of preparation time. Looking back over the last 2 seasons the only match that debunks that theory is the Spurs away game in September last year when we were excellent from minute one. All the others have been par to below par perfomances but the results have been good. I can't be bothered to check other team's results but, you're right, it's incredulous that they could be doing any better given how rare it now is for us to drop any points at all.

GaryC

I seriously believe our run of winning games with late goals is not luck nor coincidence. Our team's collective mentality is truly monstrous - never say die till the last whistle. This is what separates champions from the rest. If we are feeling stressed with our team doing this week in and out, imagine how our opponents must feel even before a ball is kicked.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I seriously believe our run of winning games with late goals is not luck nor coincidence. Our team's collective mentality is truly monstrous - never say die till the last whistle. This is what separates champions from the rest. If we are feeling stressed with our team doing this week in and out, imagine how our opponents must feel even before a ball is kicked.
I think it's even simpler than that. I won't say it's our tactic per se, but I do think this squad has a fairly sizeable fitness advantage over every team in the league, which is not surprising given how Klopp values preseason. This superior fitness is most advantageous late in games. If you look carefully with Klopp's instructions, he doesn't ask his players to run like lunatics for 90 mins. You can see him at certain points telling the players to speed it up or slow it down at different points in the match. I think the players are trained to collectively turn on the afterburners for spurts in the match, potentially when Klopp's eagle eyes on the bench notice the opposition players lagging or some other trigger. I don't think it's coincidence that after Palace scored we were very active, with Bobby shooting wide seconds after the goal and seconds after that putting it in the net. Team's naturally want to come at us whilst we are league leaders. This team is very good at absorbing the early pressure and then turning that pressure against them late in games when the opposition had run out of juice.

Like I said in my opening, I don't think we have a plan of scoring late ( the early the better obvs) but i think it's a natural conclusion from teams wasting their energies against us and us having more in the tank.

Wilkored08

This is a good video. The impression I got from watching the game live was that TAA was being rinsed but maybe that’s because my heart was in my mouth on the couple of occasions when Zaha wiggled free. Anyway good video and thanks for posting.
And Zaha always has that pained look on his face....especially when looking at the ref for free kicks and pens....and he falls down too easy...good feet, but CPFC would never let him go.

Flobs

FADA
Don't think Lovren dived. I think people missed that Ayew had stepped on his right foot as he pushed him.

I didn't however I credit Lovren for the way he slumped to the ground. Also unlike some on here i believe with out the stamp and push he would have headed the ball out for a goal scoring counter attack. CP got off lightly imo. :p

Flobs

FADA
If there was midfielder with the energy and industry of Wijnaldum, the diligence and intelligence of Henderson, and the creativity and vision of Coutinho, he is basically the best player in the world. I don’t think he exists.
There is Fabinho I wonder if we could just get rid of the other 2 and play 4-1-5. :p

MinniMo

The one person we will soon need a replacement for is Millie, someone hard as a rock, will run forever and can play in any position at any time. Ideas?