Post Match: Porto v Liverpool (UCL 17/4/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 66’]

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 85’]

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Robertson [off 70’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Milner

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 28’]

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Salah [GOAL 65’]

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Origi [off 45’]

• Firmino [on 45’, GOAL 75’]

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Gomez [on 66’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Henderson [on 70’]

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red over the water

Wasn’t able to see this one, but seems like a very professional display. Porto huffed and puffed, had a lot of activity but ultimately couldn’t get near to us, and their goal very much smacks of a consolation.

Onwards and upwards, and what a cracking tie against Barcelona to look forward to.

Unfortunately with Man city going out tonight, and no doubt feeling a little aggrieved, I think they will respond and win well in the league against Spurs.

Ron Swanson

Who cares about performance when you win 4-1. Happy days Klopp has been our manager for three and a half seasons and got us to a Euro league final champions league final and again this season we are in to the semi's of the same completion and challenging for the league anyone ever doubts Klopp is put us in the right direction should give up watching football as it just isn't for them.

Oh and we are going to snot Barca

PoolSince70

Was having cold sweat watching the 1st half... atrocious performance since I can't remember when. We couldn't even string a few good passes together for the first 45 min. My biggest worry was if Porto were to get the first goal, the evening could turn out to be so different. I guess lady luck or some divine intervention was with us.

Looking forward to our semi with Barca in 2 weeks' time.

Antiope

Barcelona will be different beast, but we have shown ourselves to be lethal and practical depending on the situation. This team is finally controlling games like Benitez's sides, and the current team has more firepower.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Tell you something...Last seasons CL run is a major reason Fabinho and Alisson wanted to come here.
The challenge this season was to do well in the CL again (which is hard after losing final in that way) and at one point after 0 away wins and 1 shot on target in the 3 group stage games we were heading out - Alison’s last min save v Napoli looks even better now.
Another CL run will of course attract more top class players to the club but more importantly it’s about doing well in the competition and normally Lfc do very well when they qualify. Players don’t want to just qualify with their club they want to join a club that has a chance of winning it and in recent years only in 2006 - when holders and in 14/15 when Rogers completely fluffed it - did we do poorly and not get out of the group or go out early in KO round.
My long winded point is if you join Lfc you have a great chance of going on a good run in the CL.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Barcelona will be different beast, but we have shown ourselves to be lethal and practical depending on the situation. This team is finally controlling games like Benitez's sides, and the current team has more firepower.
They will be but we will score over there.
They are awful at the back. Utd should’ve scored 2 on Tuesday in first 2 mins. We we would’ve scored.

TheSweetSilverSong

What an outcome! It reminds me of the time when we were dominant in Europe for a few years under Benitez, ever since we lifted it in 05 - reaching semis and finals in a row, and I remember ranking 1st in Europe based on results over 5 years. Now we burst into the top 5 based on past 3 years, and if we keep this going in the next couple of seasons, hell if we even lift it once, we could be Europe's prime force for a while again.
But for now, I'm enjoying the current stuff! We're winning away again, convincingly - twice we had to qualify in an away game in tough fields, and we first kept it clean at home and used it so effectively to muster convincing wins away, scoring 7 and conceding 1 (away). Gone are the talks of us not being able to win away, just because we didn't beat Roma last season, and the 3 group games this season.

Hope we will be able to carry the two-leg strength we seem to have vs Barca. It's first away this time, which is actually considered an advantage, but we'll need a good result there, preferably to not lose and to score a goal (if we even win I'll consider it a bonus). If we lose without scoring it becomes more and more difficult. Will Robertson handle Messi? Can Van Dijk handle Suarez? And will Fabinho stop Coutinho from shooting those screamers from outside the box? Will our pressing be evaded by the storm of passes that they're used to? Will we expose them on the counter?

I really can't wait for the games. For me, CL is all about playing the best teams in the world, so I'm glad we're not facing an English team instead, no matter how good (I enjoyed our QFs vs City last season, but would have still preferred a European Giant instead).

As for the actual game, perfect game management by Klopp. Very risky, but we came through and kept players as fresh as possible, especially Henderson and Firmino who will need to run run run so much vs Cardiff. And what a difference by both when they came on. Together with Van Dijk, our 3 most important players right now in my opinion, even as it is Salah and Mane who score most goals. It's so much easier when these 3 play.

Crazy game in the other tie! So if City had gotten through, the positives would have been that they'd be kept busy and would have had their concentration split over 3 tournaments/trophies, while the negatives would have been that we could meet them in the final if we go through Barca.
Having been thrown out, especially this way, has the negative of them now being focused on the League alone (I don't think they're even thinking of the FA Cup right now, which will come to affect only the game after the FA Cup Final, probably), but could potentially have the positive of breaking their spirit - it's the message that they can't do it in Europe, even with a manager like Pep, who has conquered Europe with his Barca team and who has built the team to supposedly be the best in the world by many accounts.
Also meaning that Spurs can unsettle them - I actually think it's good City won the game by a small margin, as it may have been very hard to beat this City team 3 times in a row. Spurs beat them once, lost once (but kicked them out of CL in the process), and now a draw or another Spurs win would do. Spurs showed they can do it. We'll know in a few days whether this result will break City or whether it will make them more determined.

So anyway, so happy with the mature and dominant way we handled the two last rounds of the CL!!!!! Looking so much forward to the semis.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Waking up to a sore head. What a great night.
Once we were 2-0 up, the pub put the spurs match on as main game (we had a deal with pub)....

And that was a game too. I celebrated spurs goals like they were ours - loads of anti city in the pub.

They can end that quadruple talk, and now spurs have nothing to lose on Saturday - so they will play with no fear.... the pressure is starting to bite city...

Beautiful night!

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Who cares about performance when you win 4-1. Happy days Klopp has been our manager for three and a half seasons and got us to a Euro league final champions league final and again this season we are in to the semi's of the same completion and challenging for the league anyone ever doubts Klopp is put us in the right direction should give up watching football as it just isn't for them.

Oh and we are going to snot Barca
I think it's without any doubts that Klopp has pulled us in the right direction from day one. the transition going from BR's lfc to klopp's is the biggest transition I've witness as a liverpool supporter. it's like comparing a mountain to a hill. The future looking great for us :well done:

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
What an outcome! It reminds me of the time when we were dominant in Europe for a few years under Benitez, ever since we lifted it in 05 - reaching semis and finals in a row, and I remember ranking 1st in Europe based on results over 5 years. Now we burst into the top 5 based on past 3 years, and if we keep this going in the next couple of seasons, hell if we even lift it once, we could be Europe's prime force for a while again.
But for now, I'm enjoying the current stuff! We're winning away again, convincingly - twice we had to qualify in an away game in tough fields, and we first kept it clean at home and used it so effectively to muster convincing wins away, scoring 7 and conceding 1 (away). Gone are the talks of us not being able to win away, just because we didn't beat Roma last season, and the 3 group games this season.

Hope we will be able to carry the two-leg strength we seem to have vs Barca. It's first away this time, which is actually considered an advantage, but we'll need a good result there, preferably to not lose and to score a goal (if we even win I'll consider it a bonus). If we lose without scoring it becomes more and more difficult. Will Robertson handle Messi? Can Van Dijk handle Suarez? And will Fabinho stop Coutinho from shooting those screamers from outside the box? Will our pressing be evaded by the storm of passes that they're used to? Will we expose them on the counter?

I really can't wait for the games. For me, CL is all about playing the best teams in the world, so I'm glad we're not facing an English team instead, no matter how good (I enjoyed our QFs vs City last season, but would have still preferred a European Giant instead).

As for the actual game, perfect game management by Klopp. Very risky, but we came through and kept players as fresh as possible, especially Henderson and Firmino who will need to run run run so much vs Cardiff. And what a difference by both when they came on. Together with Van Dijk, our 3 most important players right now in my opinion, even as it is Salah and Mane who score most goals. It's so much easier when these 3 play.

Crazy game in the other tie! So if City had gotten through, the positives would have been that they'd be kept busy and would have had their concentration split over 3 tournaments/trophies, while the negatives would have been that we could meet them in the final if we go through Barca.
Having been thrown out, especially this way, has the negative of them now being focused on the League alone (I don't think they're even thinking of the FA Cup right now, which will come to affect only the game after the FA Cup Final, probably), but could potentially have the positive of breaking their spirit - it's the message that they can't do it in Europe, even with a manager like Pep, who has conquered Europe with his Barca team and who has built the team to supposedly be the best in the world by many accounts.
Also meaning that Spurs can unsettle them - I actually think it's good City won the game by a small margin, as it may have been very hard to beat this City team 3 times in a row. Spurs beat them once, lost once (but kicked them out of CL in the process), and now a draw or another Spurs win would do. Spurs showed they can do it. We'll know in a few days whether this result will break City or whether it will make them more determined.

So anyway, so happy with the mature and dominant way we handled the two last rounds of the CL!!!!! Looking so much forward to the semis.
Excellent post but one caveat: in order to return to the top of the UEFA rankings we will have to wait at least until the 2016-17 season, when we had no European football, no longer counts for ranking purposes. That big fat zero in our coefficients doesn’t look good.