Post Match: Porto v Liverpool (UCL 17/4/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 66’]

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 85’]

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Robertson [off 70’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Milner

• Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 28’]

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Salah [GOAL 65’]

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Origi [off 45’]

• Firmino [on 45’, GOAL 75’]

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Gomez [on 66’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Henderson [on 70’]

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I believe Klopp was trying to keep it tight and see the game through without any drama. I don’t think he expected us to just go on a rampage and whack these guys. Which explains why the trio of Fabinho, Milner and Wijnaldum started in the middle.

Milner was all over the place for most of the first half while Wijnaldum kept passing the goal scoring responsibilities to others. There were two incidents, once before our first goal and one after. We were on the attack and Porto was busy covering Salah and Mane, the ball was passed to him right around the “D” and there was not a single defender closing him down. Without even thinking he pushed the ball to Salah who had 2 Porto defenders about to converged towards him. Why not take the shot? The second was him getting the ball from Salah in the box, did all the hardwork holding the ball and turning, instead of shift and shoot, he opted to pass to Salah. Luckily Salah’s shot turned to a pass and Mane scored.

I would like to see Wijnaldum started to work on his shots and confidence in taking it come next season. We all know he has it in him, he can score goals. But some how he just shy away from it, even if the option is better for him to unleash one. That’s the difference in the final 3rd between him and Keita. Wijnaldum to me is a more conservative player while Keita more adventurous.

Funny player that Gini fella, he does all the hardwork to break into the final third, and then looked for safer option to spread the ball out wide or back, just to retain possession. To me he’s a stat-man wet dream.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Hid myself from all social media all day so I didn't know the score and could come home and watch the game over dinner. Fuck me that made my fish and chips taste all the better.

Strange game, we were a bit all over the place to begin with, but then Porto did seem to tire themselves out, especially when we got our goal. I put Virg as MOTM, no one really stood out though. Hendo has been like a new signing lately. I'll say it again, who thought 2 months ago that we'd be calling Hendo one of our key attacking players??

I guess the take away from tonight is that VAR is (for the moment at least) a godsend, and a terrific implement :well done:

William Clarke

redshirt
Up to twenty or so minutes into the game and I was urging the telly to keep them out and not let them score. They were all over us, looking dangerous with every attack, but then I realised that Ally had hardly been troubled other than to save a shot or two hit directly at him. Once we scored that goal (in real time it looked way offside) the game slowly started to change in our favour - and then the goals kept coming. This doesn't normally happen to Porto on their own patch, but it did this time. In the end it looked all too easy for us. Bring on Barca and the Reds Old Boys.

Giving me almost as much joy as our win was the Spuds turning Citeh over at the Etihad. To see the Citeh bench jumping for joy one minute and then deflated the next was a joy beyond compare. Doing the quadruple - hah, quad my arse.
:well done::celebrating:

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Firstly, it quite amazing that we played so poorly by our standards and still came out victorious by 4 goals to 1 in an away CL quarterfinal no less. Just goes to show how much we've progressed.

Secondly, a similarly poor start against Barcelona would be fateful. Have to be at the races from minute one for that one.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Firstly, it quite amazing that we played so poorly by our standards and still came out victorious by 4 goals to 1 in an away CL quarterfinal no less. Just goes to show how much we've progressed.

Secondly, a similarly poor start against Barcelona would be fateful. Have to be at the races from minute one for that one.
Yes, agree with that. The Mane goal took the stuffing out of them. Until then they were dangerous and created far too much for my liking. Same in the first leg. Their finishing was poor but Barca's won't be so there is work to do there. I didn't think we were keeping it tight or managing the game or anything like that. We were just playing very badly. Pitch looked a bit shit to me but it doesn't explain the disorganisation of most of the first half. The change of shape helped in the second half. We looked much more solid then and they blew themselves out.

Anyway, that's 8 on the bounce now. Whatever the performance this team knows how to win football matches and that's the most important thing.

Sidwishus

We weren't in control at all for the first 30 mins imo. Just as with the first leg with a better striker on the night it could have been very different.

Bring on Camp Nou and lets just remind ourselves of Barfa and the snakes conduct prior to his departure (albeit pathing the way for where we are now). Would be poetic to stick in to them. Another morale victory as the spuds was last night.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Excellent post but one caveat: in order to return to the top of the UEFA rankings we will have to wait at least until the 2016-17 season, when we had no European football, no longer counts for ranking purposes. That big fat zero in our coefficients doesn’t look good.
Best just stay in Pot 1 until then

Flobs

FADA
We weren't in control at all for the first 30 mins imo. Just as with the first leg with a better striker on the night it could have been very different.

Bring on Camp Nou and lets just remind ourselves of Barfa and the snakes conduct prior to his departure (albeit pathing the way for where we are now). Would be poetic to stick in to them. Another morale victory as the spuds was last night.
I don't think we were ever in control in that match bar the final 5-10 minutes.
So much pressure put on Alisson, Matip and VVD yet they with stood it so well and then our front 3 being so realistic in front of goal. I'll try and stop making any comments about the midfield (I'll get myself in trouble) so will just add Henderson made a big difference. :-)

Noo Noo

I think there's a fair shout now that Henderson and Fabinho start the two CL games ate very very least. I can really only suggest that Cardiff and Huddersfield are the only two I would risk without them at the moment

Flobs

FADA
I think there's a fair shout now that Henderson and Fabinho start the two CL games ate very very least. I can really only suggest that Cardiff and Huddersfield are the only two I would risk without them at the moment
Cardiff are still in a relegation fight, they will be a hard cookie to crack. They will probably be very physical as well. We underestimated Southampton I hope we won't do that again.

phil smith

The first defeat at home this season for Porto! Not the best of performances but a great result. First 30 minutes we continually gave the ball back to Porto, the main culprits being our midfield. The had several good chances but Allison was superb. The ball must have been so slippery after all the rain but he held on to everything and made it look easy. Thought Milner struggled all game and was on his arse more than his feet. A huge difference when Bobby came on for the second half. Think Jurgen will move Origi on close season as he looked well out of his depth. Gave Allison my MOM as he steadied the ship first 30 minutes until we scored.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I don't think we were ever in control in that match bar the final 5-10 minutes.
So much pressure put on Alisson, Matip and VVD yet they with stood it so well and then our front 3 being so realistic in front of goal. I'll try and stop making any comments about the midfield (I'll get myself in trouble) so will just add Henderson made a big difference. :-)
Your nerves from our very dodgy first 15 minutes might be skewing your perception of the second half. From about the 55th minute onward, Liverpool dominates possession - there are really just two intervals of 3 minutes or so each after that where Porto goes above 50%. In that time, they get just 3 shots of their 19 total, with only 1 on target(the header, obviously). Alisson only gets 14 of his 59 touches from 55' onward, and not one of those touches results in a loss of possession - he is basically collecting the ball and circulating it. It felt nervier than that for me, but they weren't scoring two with those sort of numbers.

Noo Noo

Cardiff are still in a relegation fight, they will be a hard cookie to crack. They will probably be very physical as well. We underestimated Southampton I hope we won't do that again.
On current form I'd be more than happy if they play every game. Provided they've got enough juice in the tank which is why I'm a bit worried about them.

I was a bit worried when Fabinho went down holding his knee last night. I hope that doesn't develop into something

Flobs

FADA
Your nerves from our very dodgy first 15 minutes might be skewing your perception of the second half. From about the 55th minute onward, Liverpool dominates possession - there are really just two intervals of 3 minutes or so each after that where Porto goes above 50%. In that time, they get just 3 shots of their 19 total, with only 1 on target. Alisson only gets 14 of his 59 touches from 55' onward, and not one of those touches results in a loss of possession - he is basically collecting the ball and circulating it. It felt nervier than that for me, but they weren't scoring with those sort of numbers.
The 1st 30 minutes lulled me into my anti Wijnaldum mode and i never recovered even after all those goals.
I was starting to pull myself out of it however seeing Firmino in the centre of our defense at a corner and being totally dominated hit another nerve.
There were no tingly feelings or pumping the air with my fist during the porto match, it sapped me and to think how pumped up I was becoming.
Still the surprise of winning so comfortably put a smile back on my grumpy tired face. :-)

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
Looking at the stats and the chalkboard, it is fairly remarkable to see how completely Marega was shut down. He had 5 shots inside the first 25 minutes, and could really have hurt us. Barely got the ball in our end in the second half.
Matip kept smacking him like a big lanky Milner. I really enjoyed Matip's performance much more agressive than usual. Held the line well as well. Really good to see.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The 1st 30 minutes lulled me into my anti Wijnaldum mode and i never recovered even after all those goals.
I was starting to pull myself out of it however seeing Firmino in the centre of our defense at a corner and being totally dominated hit another nerve.
There were no tingly feels or pumping the air with my fist during the porto match, it sapped me and to think how pumped up I was becoming.
Still the surprise of winning so comfortably put a smile back on my grumpy tired face. :-)
Barring a quick flurry in the first 90 seconds, Wijnaldum barely gets on the ball in the first half. Eleven touches between the second minute and the 42nd. He gets more touches than that between 70 and 79.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Our front 3 are finally back to their best again. Once again Firmino was absolutely brilliant, he has been on fire in the last 3-4 weeks.

Big Divock had a shocker though, he clearly didn't fancy it against Militao. To be fair, Militao looks every bit as good as advertised, a Brazilian Joe Gomez.

That Morega is the biggest carthorse I've seen for a while, he reminds me of Jozy Altidore.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but we have to play Newcastle away on the Sunday, 48hrs before the home game against Barcelona on the Tuesday.
Not exactly a level playing field.