POST MATCH: PSG v Liverpool (UCL 28/11/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Henderson

• Milner [GOAL 45 +1’, off 76’]

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Wijnaldum [off 65’]

• Salah

• Firmino [off 70’]

• Mane

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • Keita [on 65’]

• Sturridge [on 70’]

• Shaqiri [76’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Ηe came in, immediately made a nice forward run and then hardly touched the ball again. His qualities are obvious but he really needs to step it up. Both he and Fabinho have got to start getting regular playing time.
Not what I saw. I thought we immediately went up a gear and started offering a bit more attacking threat when he got in the pitch.

Red over the water

Reading the past few pages is understandable, as we lost last night, and nobody likes to lose. However, we shouldn’t turn on each other, and we should also try to keep some perspective.

If we were at our devastating best, a loss in Paris is still well on the cards. Last night is not the one that hurts me most, though I was as frustrated as anyone watching them rolling around. Losing at Napoli was careless, and losing In Belgrade was criminal. And even with that, it’s still in our hands to progress, though it’s going to need another famous night at Anfield.

As for the team, last season the attack was fantastic. This season the defence is the strongest part of the side, and I’m including Alisson in that too. The midfield blend isn’t right, so hopefully there’s more to come as the new signings are integrated.

We’re doing really well in the league, and we still have a chance to go through in the CL with a game at Anfield to decide that.

Gutted to lose last night, but having slept on it, we now need to shake it off and move on. Starting with three points in he derby please.

I thought Keita looked great in his thirty minutes yesterday.
He really didn't, I thought Wijnaldum was doing a better job in that roaming role he sometimes takes up. We went backwards when Keita came on in comparison to how we were doing just before he came on.

Henderson after his plantar fasciitis injury which is said to be incurable
It can just 'go away'.
As for Henderson it looks like he still needs a few more games under his belt however that is less than what Keita or Fabinho need so becomes the 'safe" option.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
What a strange group this turns out to be. All teams have been weak in their travels, and strong at home. We lose all our away games, and yet can still qualify if we win our third home game. Hopefully that trend will stay the same until the end! Red Star taking points off PSG and us beating Napoli would see us go through if I'm not mistaken. Of course, it's better to beat Napoli by two goals, hopefully our lads can find the ressources in themselves to do this. It will need a hell of a performance, buit it's not beyond us to do it.

As for the game itself, I missed the last part of the first half after the second goal, out of sheer frustration at our inability to go past PSG. Then I came back and watched the second half again, but just like at Naples and Belgrade, we didn't deserve anything from that game. PSG were really, really strong, especially in the first half. They played our lads against the wall at times. Very impressive.

As for us, it's just a lesson in humility, that's all. It's not down to the ref, to the cheating PSG players or anything else. It's just that we weren't good enough on the day. One single shot on target all night from a penalty tells it's own story.

On to Everton now. Hopefully the lads will bounce back to winning ways next Sunday, fingers crossed!!!

Barry O'Connor

- My opinion is that Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum would not be able to play for a top four side.

- Erm. They do actually play for a top four side. Have done for a while now.

- Stop attacking my opinion. Stop attacking my opinion. I’m being oppressed!!!

Just to help you navigate the difficult world of talking to people about stuff, your opinion is not sacred. People are allowed to challenge it, and if it’s demonstrably bollocks people are likely to tell you.

So you’re trolling then, Barry?
Not trolling at all. I just normally would have given up by now. As I said I apologise for saying I believe that those 3 midfielders would not get in ANY OTHER top 4 starting line up. It's still my opinion but I'm sorry I aired it in the heat of disappointment last night. I never for one minute said my opinion was sacred I just said what I believe. You said what you believe and you are 100% entitled to feel the way you feel. My opinion differs from yours. That seems to be the part you struggle with so please lay of the patronising and atagontisc messages and just leave it that we both have completely different opinions on our 3 midfielders but we can agree that they are good lads good athletes and give 100% for the club.

Krimson

• Get Salah'd! •
I thought Milner looked pretty tired just after halftime last night. The midfield was crying out for someone with some legs like Shaq or Keita a little earlier. When you need to break through, create a spark and openings for Mane and Salah you're going to need to rely on more than just Milner at his age despite how much of a fan of his I am. Gini and Henderson won't do that.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think this match, and in parallel the very slow introduction of Keita and Fabinho to the side, sort of shows how Klopp is caught between two stools. He may have been hoping that he could paper over the cracks by relying on sheer firepower, but it is now abundantly clear this is nowhere near last year's attacking side. Klopp will know at least as well as any of us that the GIni-Milner-Henderson trio is limited, but while we are in the hunt in both CL and PL he has been reluctant to take the more radical step of risking a rebalancing he is not entirely confident in yet.

Given that we are now backs to the wall in the CL, the game against Napoli would seem to be the one where there is nothing left to lose. We can plod along with the current configuration in the league, rely on the defence to control the game and hope for the best, there is still some scope for patience. But it is time for an outright throw of the dice in the CL.

Red over the water

I agree that Klopp is sort of caught between two stools at the moment. We've got some solid citizens but there's no stardust there. We've also got the promise of more to come from Fabinho and Keita, but so far we haven't really seen much of that.

My guess is we will start to see Fabinho and Keita played more and more as the season unfolds. If they find their groove the midfield level should improve. It's possible we might have a setback or two, but hopefully not. Klopp is playing more of a cagey game this season so far, and you can't argue with the points haul in the Prem, but you do get the sense that at some point the shackles will have to come off.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
But it is time for an outright throw of the dice in the CL.
I actually think it’s a lot, lot more difficult than that.

The first poser is that, given we need to beat Napoli by a goal to nil, what’s more important the goal or the nil? If they score we need three. If they score two we need four.

I think it’s arguable that we need to do the exact opposite of take the handbrake off and go for it. I think looking at those permutations, we’ll be better served keeping it as tight as fuck. Go in with the mentality of ensuring they do not get a sniff, and hope to nick one or two. It might even be worthwhile putting the hours in on set pieces in training in the run up.

If we turn this into a tennis match I would be very worried. They have the ability to pick us off if we over commit, and I’m not sure I’d back our attack to score three or four if they end up needing to.

The second issue is how easy can this fluid attacking game be ‘switched on’. I’ve no idea, but I do suspect that if Klopp has been coaching us to a less ‘wide open’ and more solid template, switching tack now for one game is not going to be like flicking a light switch.

I would go 4231, with two from Hendo, Fab and Milner in midfield. Then the three usual lads, plus Shaqiri. That gives us a fairly solid base, can easily be transitioned into a 433 if we need it to. I’d trust the six lads at the back to keep them out, and the four further forward to bang in at least one.

Our home record this season has been formidable. I think we’ll go through.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I actually think it’s a lot, lot more difficult than that.

The first poser is that, given we need to beat Napoli by a goal to nil, what’s more important the goal or the nil? If they score we need three. If they score two we need four.

I think it’s arguable that we need to do the exact opposite of take the handbrake off and go for it. I think looking at those permutations, we’ll be better served keeping it as tight as fuck. Go in with the mentality of ensuring they do not get a sniff, and hope to nick one or two. It might even be worthwhile putting the hours in on set pieces in training in the run up.

If we turn this into a tennis match I would be very worried. They have the ability to pick us off if we over commit, and I’m not sure I’d back our attack to score three or four if they end up needing to.

The second issue is his easy can this fluid attacking game be ‘switched on’. I’ve no idea, but I do suspect that if Klopp has been coaching us to a less ‘wide open’ and more solid template, switch tack now for one game is going to be like flicking a light switch.

I would go 4231, with two from Hendo, Fab and Milner in midfield. Then the three usual lads, plus Shaqiri. That gives us a fairly solid base, can easily be transitioned into a 433 if we need it to. I’d trust the six lads at the back to keep them out, and the four further forward to bang in at least one.

Our home record this season has been formidable. I think we’ll go through.
The fact that it is at home is the real wrinkle. If it was away, it would be clear. Our away scoring has been horrible. But at the same time, I don't think we simply hope to nick one.

Tactically, it is almost as if we will need to play two very different games. Napoli goes through on a draw, so we have to attack. If we get the first goal, the entire situation is turned on its head - Napoli faces almost the same tactical problem Klopp starts with.

In hindsight, I think yesterday was the time for the throw of the dice.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
It can just 'go away'.
As for Henderson it looks like he still needs a few more games under his belt however that is less than what Keita or Fabinho need so becomes the 'safe" option.
Except it doesn't go away. I don't know if you are trolling or not, but that illness is one that could send a player into retirement way earlier than expected.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
I thought Milner looked pretty tired just after halftime last night. The midfield was crying out for someone with some legs like Shaq or Keita a little earlier. When you need to break through, create a spark and openings for Mane and Salah you're going to need to rely on more than just Milner at his age despite how much of a fan of his I am. Gini and Henderson won't do that.
Which I got lambasted for in the post match against watford when I mentioned that Milner needs to be game managed....

Except it doesn't go away. I don't know if you are trolling or not, but that illness is one that could send a player into retirement way earlier than expected.
It can just go away!
It can also be very variable from day to day.
Oh! the troll remark gets you the 'agenda boy' treatment. :J

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd

It can ‘go away’. I’ve had it and bloody painful it is too. I don’t currently suffer with it though. There is a slight weakness there I expect but I have absolutely no mobility issues or experiences of pain whatsoever.

The problem for Henderson is obviously his profession and allowing the injury to heal properly and not cause it to return. On the other hand he will have access to state-of-the-art treatment that is not accessible for most of us.

I believe poor old Maria had a particularly bad case relatively recently.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I just fail to see how Klopp picks Henderson matc after match. He is slow, cannot tackle and the majority of his passes are backwards. Then he waves his arms about telling the player to whom he has just back passed, to pass it somewhere else. Every time he plays, he completely slows thd game down. Why is he even in the premiete league?? As for Klopp....what has he ever really won in foogball, compared to other managers. He is certainly a great character, but ....his team choices and tactics do not belong with a club as great as LFC. But...on his salary, why should he worry? Next manager please!!!
Is the Hall of Shame still active?

Semmy

Wouldn't want to be walking around with my head held high as a PSG fan,i mean imagine supporting a team that plays that way,snitching,diving and generally cheating all over the pitch and financially corrupt off it,nope,i couldn't be proud to support that kind of club,we'll bounce back but you can't ignore the cheating in this defeat.
Form is temporary
Class is permanent

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
It can just go away!
It can also be very variable from day to day.
Oh! the troll remark gets you the 'agenda boy' treatment. :J
What I meant was fully cured.

It can ‘go away’. I’ve had it and bloody painful it is too. I don’t currently suffer with it though. There is a slight weakness there I expect but I have absolutely no mobility issues or experiences of pain whatsoever.

The problem for Henderson is obviously his profession and allowing the injury to heal properly and not cause it to return. On the other hand he will have access to state-of-the-art treatment that is not accessible for most of us.

I believe poor old Maria had a particularly bad case relatively recently.
The bolded part is precisely why I think it may become a long-term chronic issue for Henderson. I heard it was incurable though..Now, I know it will still come and go for people with such illness. Thanks a lot!

Semmy

Another thing.. Firmino: has played 85 games since the start of 2017-18.. We really aren't doing him any favours by burning him out. The lack of rotational option for him is killing us imo.

Sturridge love him, but he is finished here as an option. Was a poor choice relying on him personally.
That’s his job, mate. Gets paid handsomely too. Do the math on how many hours of play that is. Average person works 2000hrs /yr

Jah_Pool

Now that I have had a day to calm down. That game was another steaming pile of crap continuing from the Red Star game and the Napoli game before that.

There were several things that were wrong in that game. The Entire midfield was wrong and Lovren and Gomez together was also wrong. The midfield, a more talent-less bunch with Hendo/ Milner/Gini is hard to find in the CL. They contribute nothing to nothing especially when they come up against top class teams. They are truly awful. The midfield is the reason the forwards aren't firing and we kick one(1) shot towards goal the entire game. Those three players cannot seem to play a forward pass or beat a player or drive forward or kick a shot. What is the point of playing if they cant do any of these things. The opposition teams also realize that our midfield is crap because they are all doubling up on Salah and Mane whenever they are in possession of the ball.

Lovren and Gomez, there was a reason the PSG was targetting our right side all game. These two are too-slow to keep up with Neymar for the whole game. They targeted that side and we played right into their hands. Gomez is an okay fullback when he's playing against big strikers, but when he's playing against more nimble, fleet-of-foot forwards are a handful. Those two were truly abysmal the whole fucking game. TAA should have started that game, it was a massive blunder by the manager. Lovren, how does he get out-jumped by Marquinos is beyond me.......he should never play in these games if we can help it, absolutely diabolical.

With all that said, we have no cahnce of winning the CL especially with the midfield as it stands, and Keita and Fabino not bedding in as quickly as we would like. This team is missing a Coutinho/Ox. That's why come January, a midfielder who can chip in with 10 goals/12 assists is a must. This midfielder should be brought in to ultimately replace one of the triumvirate of crap that we presently have.

jaffod

Maybe you should sleep on it again, and come back when you’re thinking rationally?
It was more a throwaway remark but the point remains the same - until we toughen up / learn the dark arts etc we'll continue to be an easy mark. Most of us thought Keita and Fabinho would give us some nastiness but they're being mollycoddled at Melwood. I want to see the Klopp who got banned at Dortmund. I want to see the twitter hardman that is Lovren giving cheating cunts like Neymar something to genuinely whine about, like a broken fucking leg.
Compare those vile twats last night with Gomez who had real reason to roll about but didn't. Nice guys win nothing in today's game, if that's what it still is.

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
It was more a throwaway remark but the point remains the same - until we toughen up / learn the dark arts etc we'll continue to be an easy mark. Most of us thought Keita and Fabinho would give us some nastiness but they're being mollycoddled at Melwood. I want to see the Klopp who got banned at Dortmund. I want to see the twitter hardman that is Lovren giving cheating cunts like Neymar something to genuinely whine about, like a broken fucking leg.
Compare those vile twats last night with Gomez who had real reason to roll about but didn't. Nice guys win nothing in today's game, if that's what it still is.
It's not a lack of nastiness that is costing us.
It's our refusal (and rightly so) to behave like the diving cheating cunts we saw from Madrid and PSG.

Until the spineless officials and governing bodies stamp out play acting cheating twats like them will always prosper.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
It’s the simultaneous demand for perfection and ambition while also suggesting that we should know our place that puzzles me.

The fact of the matter is that we’re playing in the big boys competition now, and it so happens in the big boys competition there are very good players and very good teams who are well capable of beating you. Like we beat PSG at our place. Like Lyon beat City.

Some posters need to grow the fuck up and deal with that. Cryarsing and wanting to drop into the Europa league because they are scared of being embarrassed is beyond pathetic.
Agree with every single word.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
That’s his job, mate. Gets paid handsomely too. Do the math on how many hours of play that is. Average person works 2000hrs /yr
Sorry but your post is just utterly bad and has zero understanding of the game and the level it is now at.

[email protected]

Sad, but true, and something I've mentioned a while ago. Okay, let's leave out the broken legs a bit (completely) but a yard dog attitude along with a little bit of gamesmanship would be 'nice'. Its the way it is, unfortunately, and like it or lump it the teams who win tend to up the ante in the gamesmanship. Its a bona fide tactic. An infuriating one but its in the game and we're getting shafted.

Gomez goes into Neymar like how he got clattered and Neymar would have rolled the length of the pitch, his team would have surrounded the ref and poor Joe would have seen red. Instead, Joe gets up like the strong lad that he is and Veratti walks away with a smirk, his team knows they can put one in here and there and let us pick up the tab on the card count. Be nice if we could wise up a little and be a little more street smart.

dockers_strike

It's not a lack of nastiness that is costing us.
It's our refusal (and rightly so) to behave like the diving cheating cunts we saw from Madrid and PSG.

Until the spineless officials and governing bodies stamp out play acting cheating twats like them will always prosper.
This. Anyone who thinks we'd have got a better result last night diving and play acting in front of that shithouse ref is deluded. He didnt send Verratti off. He missed the clear pen on Mane not to mention the two feet off the ground lunge at Mane. He dished out what, 5 or 6 yellows to us for nothing tackles which is a joke considering the cards he did give the PSG players.

People say we just have to join in this streetwise stuff but do people really want to see Mane, Mo etc fall to the ground under the merest touch looking for fouls while shithouse refs wave play on? What games havent these people be watching? We've had zero pens in the league at Anfield this year despite Mo and Sadio being clattered by all and sundry. The ref didnt even 'see' one of the clearest pens in the game last night, he gave a bleeding corner.

The IFAB and FIFA are supposedly looking into rule changes to stop time wasting. How about they start clamping down on obvious cheating like Neymar and Silva did last night? I watched the U19s PSG v Liverpool game and they were even doing it in that game. The PSG keeper came out for a ball and went to ground. He's then moaning about an injured leg (from falling over!) and they spent 4 minutes attending him. Come on, keepers dont get injured collecting a ball like that no more than Silva did when his head hit the grass outside the pitch.

No, sorry, I dont want Liverpool to be shithouse cheats.