• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: PSG v Liverpool (UCL 28/11/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Henderson

• Milner [GOAL 45 +1’, off 76’]

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Wijnaldum [off 65’]

• Salah

• Firmino [off 70’]

• Mane

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • Keita [on 65’]

• Sturridge [on 70’]

• Shaqiri [76’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Their top four are very decent at home, and when we brought on Sturridge it should have been Dembele or Pulisic.....
Thought we recovered well, Alisson was very good but we just seemed a little tired and our top three a little disjointed.
Anyway, another magical European night awaits, we know what we have to do and Napoli are decent.
You have to love it!

RedForever2014

Yes that was either a brown paper bag or UEFA dictated referring performance, but we were poor regardless.

Five defeats in the last seven CL matches and five consecutive away defeats in the CL is something that has to be noted.

phil smith

An absolute disgrace to football.
Surely Klopp has got to give Keita a run of a few games now . The midfield starting three were grim.
Bobby and Mo not at the races.
Mane , Robbo and Allison were all decent.
Referee was diabolical.
Gave Mane MOM for winning the pen. Don't think we would have scored until tomorrow only for that.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
PSG are a bunch of cunts, they are a disgusting team but they aren’t very good. If you get at them they crumble, we were weak all over sadly, another timid away game in Europe.

Sorry Klopp but you need to stop playing it safe with the trio of crabs for a midfield, they continually get shown up against proper class oppositions. We only got a foot hold when PSG just decided to stop playing. Otherwise we were walked around and cut open like a warm knife through butter. We then offered the square root of fuck all in attack with nothing but sideways and backwards passes finishing in a lump forward.

Bar Mane and Alisson who were both excellent the rest need to have a long period of reflection because it was dire.

Firmino needs time out of the lineup as i dont get if 20 German coaches say his off the ball movement is elite if he cant do simple things like pass the ball to his team mate.

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
While this is frustrating, it’s only the third worst result we’ve had this season in Europe.

1. Loss in Belgrade the worst. That was borderline criminal.
2. Not getting something at Napoli was careless. A draw and it all looks so much better.
3. A loss in Paris against PSG, while gutting, is not as bad as the above two results.

We’ve got it all to do to go through and it will require one of those special nights under the floodlights at Anfield.

Still doable.
:well done:

Lidoris

TIA New Signing
I think we are not good enough when are visitors... Our home games are far better. Today were bad upfront - Salah didn't play with the ball, Firminio didn't play with the ball...Only Mane-Andrew Robertson on the left were good. I think our boys are not too concern for CL this year, but that's my opinion. It will be almost impossible to beat Napoli with 2 goals difference at Anfield. So CL football is kind of over for Liverpool this season.

redalways

TIA Regular
I think too much attention paid to the current state of our midfield is neglecting the problem that none of the players are passing the ball particularly well. Whether midfield or forward, some of the passes have been lackadaisical at best, which is hampering any good movement we might have. I view the problem as more of an overall play issue, some of our best goals last year came from quick, accurate passes in and around the box, none of which exists currently.

The referee though, of course the PSG midfield looks a step above ours when they're simply permitted to do what they want, while our players actually get penalised for fouls. I can accept losing because of bad play, but the referee applied a very obvious influence in this game.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
The disappointment is in the first 30 minutes - after that I thought we were OK.

Unfortunately we were playing a side who sensed us getting on top in the 2nd half and decided that there was no reason to play football anymore, so in essense the final 30 minutes didn't see any football played.

Situation is much the same for us though. Beat Napoli by 2 goals - we would had to do that anyway even if we got an equaliser, right?
Win 1-0 were through
Win 2-0 were through
Win 2-1 were out
If we concede we need 2 clear goals

Alright Now

Money can buy lots of things but it sure as fuck can't buy you class. PSG a bad advertisement for football. We were just bad at football. For the 6 billionth time I will say this. Our midfield 3 are all good workers and good lads but not one starts for any top 4 team in any top league. Until we sort out that problem then we have major issues.
Well, they do start for us and we are a top 4 team.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Mane, Robertson and Alisson were the best tonight. Overall, we were poor, lacking creativity in midfield. Our midfield is our Achilles heel imho. I was disappointed with Salah and Bobby tonight. They were not brave enough, they were awful.

Our lads are not streetwise enough or mean enough. We need a couple of daring and tenacious players like Suarez to go at the opposition. Also, we need to learn how to time waste in European cup ties because that is the norm over there and pull a few agonising faces as if they had been shot in the leg!! We are too nice.

Champions league is not in our destiny if we play like we did tonight.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Situation is much the same for us though. Beat Napoli by 2 goals - we would had to do that anyway even if we got an equaliser, right?
Not really, had we equalised a win would
Is it? I thought a win would have done as we have better head to head vs psg?

jabu

TIA New Signing
Klopp has to make a decision on the midfield. He cannot persist with hendo, gini and milly has not worked for over 2 seasons. He has to be brave and trust the new signings. Blood them in the big games. Not even one save for buffo the whole 95 minutes. Klopp has to change it. I know he wont though

ianrush

TIA Squad Member
psg dominated the midfield tonight. period. they simply ran past the former sunderland player on numerous times exposing his limitations and lack of speed. (remember watford game?) can't wait for ox's return but we do need to reinforce our midfield in january and next summer transfer windows.

Am I right in thinking 1-0 will do v Napoli but otherwise it needs to be a win by 2 or more goals?
  1. Points in head-to-head matches among tied teams;
  2. Goal difference in head-to-head matches among tied teams;
  3. Goals scored in head-to-head matches among tied teams;
  4. Away goals scored in head-to-head matches among tied teams;
  5. If more than two teams are tied, and after applying all head-to-head criteria above, a subset of teams are still tied, all head-to-head criteria above are reapplied exclusively to this subset of teams;
  6. Goal difference in all group matches;
  7. Goals scored in all group matches;
  8. Away goals scored in all group matches;
  9. Wins in all group matches;
  10. Away wins in all group matches;
  11. Disciplinary points (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
  12. UEFA club coefficient.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Klopp has to make a decision on the midfield. He cannot persist with hendo, gini and milly has not worked for over 2 seasons. He has to be brave and trust the new signings. Blood them in the big games. Not even one save for buffo the whole 95 minutes. Klopp has to change it. I know he wont though
People can make all the excuses they want, this is the absolute truth. Our midfield was shredded tonight. Shredded.

dockers_strike

Well, let's get my moans out of the way first:
The ref was utter, utter shite. Gave them everything because Neymar was in his face whinging. He wasnt even going to give us that penalty. Let that level of shithousery sink in.
How did they end up with 11 on the pitch for the two footed penalty lunge and that twat Verrati for the leg breaker on Joe?
How did we end up with so many yellow cards for nothing tackles?
Silva always looks like he's about to burst into tears to me. And as for that bang to his head off the pitch then coming back on and needing treatment? For a big lad, he really is soft as shite. Or a cheat, take your pick. Did I say the ref was shite?
Neymar is an utter cock. Someone will snap his leg or his face one day with that level of twattishness.
Why does Jurgen persist with playing Joe as an RB? Maybe TAA would have got roasted but Im afraid Joe didnt cover himself in glory with either goal.
Anyone who thinks we played 'ok' but came up against a good PSG side needs to realise they wont win the CL. You can remind me I posted that.
Why did we give them so much space and where has our pressing gone?
We look slow, tired and short of ideas ALL game.
Jurgen, you got it massively wrong tonight.
If you get beat in all your group away games, imvho, you dont deserve to get through to the knock out stage.

And my praise goes to the lino behind the goal who awarded the pen and showed the baldy, utter shite ref up for the twat he is.
Milner's pen taken with aplomb.
Looking forward to the derby.
Like I said the win against Watford was a bigger priority for me.

Red Ted

Yes there are issues with the midfield but the attack was absolute dog shit like it has been for all 3 away games & a fair few PL games, Mane you can give a bit of leeway too I suppose but as an attacking unit that was dreadful, Buffon didn't have a save to make.

You can't blame the midfield when Salah pisses away possession for the umpteenth time, same with Firmino too, Mane tries hard but he needs to do better, there were goals to be had there tonight but every single good position & there were quite a few was jizzed up the wall through poor passing & decision making, it's just so slack & a complete contrast to last season.