• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: PSG v Liverpool (UCL 28/11/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Henderson

• Milner [GOAL 45 +1’, off 76’]

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Wijnaldum [off 65’]

• Salah

• Firmino [off 70’]

• Mane

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • Keita [on 65’]

• Sturridge [on 70’]

• Shaqiri [76’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Start with a midfield with zero creativity, sorry Klopp this one is on you.

Wilkored08

Neymar is worst French player ever,and Dive Maria
I know I keep repeating myself...but Neymar, Verratti, Tiago Silva, Di Maria are all an embarrassment to football...(Tiago Silva bashes his own head on the pitch..out of play....them ends up near the penalty area...as if by magic)...well bloody hell how did that happen

Lynch04

Smeg Head
The only thing that irks me tonight is losing to such a bunch of whining , playacting dive sissys - a shame we offered next to nothing offensivly tonight , to sent them straight into oblivion.
PSG - a team potentially capable of very good football resorting to the whole plethora of embarrasing antics to see the game through - at home. Pathetic.

They should wrap the Parc de prinse into a red cross tend and just present continued player treatment.

Allisson my Motm - otherwise nobody got me exited today. Nice to see Naby back. Wish he made the starting lineup. Sadio showed much spark all night. Unfortunately Bobby and Mo were miles off. Tacticly we tried the obvious to hesitant to often. To many inacurate passes and crosses. To many passes into feet instead of running channels. The weired ref performance didn't help either. Started dishing cards early on - than nothing else all game - especially not against PSG who got the most from rolling around at any given opportunity - disgusting.

Otherwise PSG defended well and didn't really offer much going forward - last season we would have hammered them - this season I'm starting to worry about our offensive performance.
I cant disagree with much here. We werent great but i think the yellow cards and biased decisions stemed our play to a degree. To think we had 5/6 players booked for offences less serious than the verratti tackles is disgusting

Flobs

FADA
Gini best performances this year has been as a DM
It's when Klopp decided to move him up in the more advanced role ( to accomodate other players )
That he returned to the woeful mode
You need a new pair of glasses mate!

Flobs

FADA
Revamp the midfield > start winning games convincingly again.

This midfield needs Fabinho, Keita and Shaqiri.

We know how average/mediocre our main midfielders are (Gini, Milner, Henderson), now it's time for the better players because they can't do much worse than Gini, Milner and Henderson.

Yes, Fabinho and Keita are not at 100% just yet, but our 100% players are useless.
Keita looks even more useless than what we have had these last 10 years. Allen, Henderson, Wijnaldum .......

Red over the water

Klopp recognized the midfield needed to be improved and so he spent the best part of £100M on Keita and Fabinho. To date they have not made the impact we hoped for, but it’s early days. Chances are there is much more to come from them as they are quality players. Jurgen is well known for integrating new players slowly, and there have also been other mitigating circumstances, such as niggly injuries.

In the meantime the midfielders already here have been doing well so far, certainly in terms of the Prem points haul so far. I’m not prepared to pile in on them and say they are crap. What I am prepared to say is the blend isn’t right. Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner is what it is. There’s no stardust there, but over the course of a season they all have a part to play. Just hopefully not all three at the same time!

In time, and hopefully it will be in the very near future, perhaps starting with Everton, you would have to think that we will start to see more of Fabinho and Keita in the same midfield. Let them play, and let them find their groove. If they do the midfield level will go up. Even then it’s likely Klopp wants more, as we miss Ox and didn’t close the Fekir deal.

It’s a work in progress but we shouldn’t go overboard on the incumbents.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Keita looks even more useless than what we have had these last 10 years. Allen, Henderson, Wijnaldum .......
Disagree. He has shown a few traits already. He is the only midfielder we have that drives forward with the ball, the only who can dribble and his pass is good enough and almost always forward. He is a better player attacking than any of our midfielders just like Fabinho is a better defender.

Give the trio Fabinho, Keita and Shaqiri a run of a few games. Henderson, Gini and Milner are simply horrible, we have no creativity and our fron 3 suffers a lot because of this.

We have done everything we could with Henderson, Milner and Gini. It's over now. They are our weak spot.

mikodelniko13

It was clear when we are faced with a better midfield we can't cope.
Happened in the champions league final and again today
Henderson is the weak link and you can't win against excellent teams with a focal point who can't play intelligent football yes he can run do couple of interception but can't offer an outlet can control tempo can't pass forward and it was wrong to start him

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
What do Liverpool need to progress?
Bear with me...

Complicated Champions League rules state that if teams are tied on points in the group stage, they are separated by the head-to-head record between sides.

Napoli beat Liverpool 1-0 at home in the reverse game.

If PSG beat Red Star in their final game, they will progress, meaning Liverpool need the following against Napoli:

• A 1-0 win will take them through. They will be level on goal difference but progress courtesy of having scored more goals.
  • A win by two or more goals will take them through, courtesy of a better head-to-head record.
  • However, a 2-1 or 3-2 win will see them GO OUT, as Napoli will have scored an away goal or goals, so will progress on the head-to-head record.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
It’s exactly how I thought PSG would play.
I was hoping we would play like last season but instead we carried on with this disjointed, low on confidence form.
Salah is looking more like the Chelsea player he was. Firmino is playing like Dean Windass. Keita looks as if he has stage fright. Henderson just seems unable to play any forward pass. He’s like a crab. Just moves it sideways and slowly at that.
But what frustrates me most is even when we are rubbish and have no control over the game, klopp seems to wait forever to make a change. As if he’s watching the game on a lagging stream.
Shaqiri needs to start more games. Our midfield is just not creative enough without him.
January is 4 weeks away. We can sort out why we have no adequate cover for our misfiring front three, and why our midfield is so average.

But we need to start creating more. Test the opposition keeper more. Play on the front foot. Do what we, and klopp, do best. That’s attack.

We are not particularly fun to watch at the minute and we should be.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
All I want for Christmas is our gegenpressing back. I miss it so much.:((
But we won nothing with it and were gassed with half a dozen games to go last season. Klopp is right to try to find the balance I think.
The bigger problem is the time its taking for him to get Fabinho and Keita into the side coupled with the sterility of Gini, Henderson and Milner. We lack a proper no.10 which leaves us with a problem in linking the play in the final third.
Bobbys lack of form is a real headache too.

C

Caradoc

We lost all 3 away games. We don’t really deserve to progess. Simple as that!

God this is a depressing thread. I think I’ll leave it at that for now! :-(

Red over the water

I do think one of the results of Henderson’s red card at the weekend was that he played tonight. We will never know for sure, but I would imagine Fabinho would have played against PSG and Henderson would have gone back in to battle for the derby. I think we will see Fabinho in the derby now. Hopefully he bosses it and we win, and we don’t look back.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
What do Liverpool need to progress?
Bear with me...

Complicated Champions League rules state that if teams are tied on points in the group stage, they are separated by the head-to-head record between sides.

Napoli beat Liverpool 1-0 at home in the reverse game.

If PSG beat Red Star in their final game, they will progress, meaning Liverpool need the following against Napoli:

• A 1-0 win will take them through. They will be level on goal difference but progress courtesy of having scored more goals.
  • A win by two or more goals will take them through, courtesy of a better head-to-head record.
  • However, a 2-1 or 3-2 win will see them GO OUT, as Napoli will have scored an away goal or goals, so will progress on the head-to-head record.
I hate this though. Napoli know we cant sit on a 1-0 even if we do score because if they snatch a late goal we need 2 to go through. With that in mind they're going to sit back and defend even if we do score a goal knowing that 1 will take them through. We unfortunately have to try and get 3 goals up so even if they do score we will still go through.

Personally i can't see us keeping them out. I know theyre worse away from home, a lot worse, but the chances they made at their place just leaves me thinking they will get 1 at Anfield. The only plus is i can see us easily able to get 3 if we start firing as there's no place like Anfield for needing a 2 goal win :)

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
This defeat is solely and exclusively due to our performance(despite the ref hadn’t his best day).
I think no one expected a win with only on shot on target, and that was a pen.
What I miss is a true number 10, who can link up with our front three.
To be honest, PSG had by far the better individual players on the pitch.
We have to do it the hard way, the Liverpool way.
So I’m looking forward to the Napoli game.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
On with the positives for me. Alisson was stunningly good but my vote goes to AR, one of the best LBs in the world right now.
Just beat Napoli 6-0 at home and we sail through. We never do it the easy way, we do it the Liverpool way and it’s (almost) always amazing :)

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
But we won nothing with it and were gassed with half a dozen games to go last season. Klopp is right to try to find the balance I think.
The bigger problem is the time its taking for him to get Fabinho and Keita into the side coupled with the sterility of Gini, Henderson and Milner. We lack a proper no.10 which leaves us with a problem in linking the play in the final third.
Bobbys lack of form is a real headache too.
I see what you are saying but our midfield is doing my head in.:-(
If Klopp doesn't solve the the midfield dilemma soon, we will be out of the Champions League this season. The Europa league is equally draining which may indirectly affect our EPL campaign by playing on Thursday nights. Naby and Fabinho need to be brought up to speed

Who do you think should be our temporary No 10?

FGred

Neyming no names, but PSG have a player bought for millions, who is an embarrassment to football....if that's what money buys....no thanks...(Mr Wilkored08 even said what a bunch of cheats and drama queens).
Even Tuchel was a twat all the 2nd half waving cards at the ref what a poor excuse for a team I hope red star shock them and we beat Napoli now

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
It would absolutely be a bad thing. Going from playing in the final to not progressing to the knockout stages would send a bad message, plus our chances in the PL would hardly be enhanced by playing in the Europa League as it could very well happen. Lastly there's also the matter of the millions that we would miss out on.

Make no mistake about it, failing to qualify would be a substantial setback.
I really don't care about how much prize money we would miss out on if we went out. For me, winning the Premier League is the no.1 priority and staying in Europe until the end of the season just makes being champions much less likely. Anyway, in a later post I did say that I'd forgotten about the EL and so it is important that we beat Napoli and avoid that. Exiting in the last 16 and having our PL rivals progress in both the CL and the EL would be no bad thing though.

Last edited:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Getting to the last 16 has got kind of complicated. It appears that we don't have to win 2-0 but ....... (courtesy of the BBC):

So if Napoli score, we're fucked.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Getting to the last 16 has got kind of complicated. It appears that we don't have to win 2-0 but ....... (courtesy of the BBC):

So if when Napoli score, we're fucked

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I see what you are saying but our midfield is doing my head in.:-(
If Klopp doesn't solve the the midfield dilemma soon, we will be out of the Champions League this season. The Europa league is equally draining which may indirectly affect our EPL campaign by playing on Thursday nights. Naby and Fabinho need to be brought up to speed

Who do you think should be our temporary No 10?
Yeah the midfield is very one dimensional. Shaq is the best option we have at the minute.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
I didn't see the match though...I saw the players ratings in the TIA article. Was it really that bad?

jaffod

I said during the World Cup football at the highest level was basically dead, a showcase for fucking cheats, and all that was confirmed tonight. I don't care if we go out in 2 weeks, I'm sick and tired of watching my football club get done over by cunts like Ramos and Neymar. You can stick European football up your fucking arse and I say that as someone who was brought up on it during the glory days of the '70's and '80's. It's a fucking embarassment bordering on WWE levels.
Saddest thing is there'll have been a UEFA observer in the crowd who'll write 'nothing to report' and the whole sorry thing will carry on regardless. Nothing will be done about any of it, the snouts will remain in the troughs and vile cunts like Neymar and Silva will continue to be shitstains on the beautiful game.
Just once I'd like to see one of our lads put a leg-breaker in on one of them but we're too fucking nice. Maybe Lovren will call Neymar a big girl or something on social media.
As for the 'football' itself, I thought JK got it wrong again. I don't understand the TAA/ Gomez thing at all and as usual he was too late with the subs. Would have saved Gini and Milner for the bitters as well although I wont be surprised if they both start because the 2 lads who cost the best part of a 100 million obviously need more nannying.
Next 2 weeks are the biggest in a long, long time, get it wrong and the season will be over by Christmas.