• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Red Star v Liverpool (UCL 6/11/18 5.55pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

Caradoc

I think he's showing that the fix was/is fine but perhaps the arthritic damage put us off.

I think this is the point. The joint was cleaned up earlier this year. He’s very young and if arthritis has already set in then that might well be a major stop sign in the process.

Flobs

FADA
I think this is the point. The joint was cleaned up earlier this year. He’s very young and if arthritis has already set in then that might well be a major stop sign in the process.
I still reckon he was good for at least 2 years and those 2 years would have bought us time to find a replacement (considering AOC was known to be out). As it is we end up with Shaquiri (whom I like) in whom Klopp doesn't show full confidence and can not play in Serbia.

jaffod

It's actually quite mind-boggling when you consider we bought Shaqiri , Keita and Fabinho and yet we still get a midfield of Hendo , Milner and Wijnaldum. It's clearly the problem area as identified by the signings in the first place.
If everyone is fit for Fulham I'd go with Henderson, Keita and Shaqiri and I'd play Milner at right-back.

The Fabinho situation has baffled me all season and what I'd like to know is this - why the fuck would you spend 40-odd million on a guy who you don't think is up to the role you want him to play within your team and then spend months trying to mould him into that player?

As for the match itself I ended up not giving a fuck I have to admit. Maybe it's because I've set so much stall on winning the PL this season. Just stunk of the same old same old, although I have to say I actually think we were better tonight than we were in Naples albeit against weaker opposition. Came out of the Supporters Club wondering if we've become that team again - the one that functions well in one or two areas of the pitch but goes to shit in the other, it's been pretty much the norm for nearly 30 years now with only Rafa's post-Istanbul side bucking the trend.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Not a great performance, rubbish actually,we are still in the running,but need to get away from this lack lustre effort.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I still reckon he was good for at least 2 years and those 2 years would have bought us time to find a replacement (considering AOC was known to be out). As it is we end up with Shaquiri (whom I like) in whom Klopp doesn't show full confidence and can not play in Serbia.
Yeah. He would have probably given us a good two years. But you try and sell that to the people who have to write a cheque for 50m quid.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
If everyone is fit for Fulham I'd go with Henderson, Keita and Shaqiri and I'd play Milner at right-back.

The Fabinho situation has baffled me all season and what I'd like to know is this - why the fuck would you spend 40-odd million on a guy who you don't think is up to the role you want him to play within your team and then spend months trying to mould him into that player?

As for the match itself I ended up not giving a fuck I have to admit. Maybe it's because I've set so much stall on winning the PL this season. Just stunk of the same old same old, although I have to say I actually think we were better tonight than we were in Naples albeit against weaker opposition. Came out of the Supporters Club wondering if we've become that team again - the one that functions well in one or two areas of the pitch but goes to shit in the other, it's been pretty much the norm for nearly 30 years now with only Rafa's post-Istanbul side bucking the trend.
I still think by new year the settled first choice midfield three is Fabinho, Keita and Henderson.

jaffod

I think I would put Shaquiri on first team sheet, we have nothing to lose, it will be interesting to see and from what I have seen so far from him, he has proved to be a great game changer when he came on.
If he doesn't start v Fulham something is seriously wrong, and Klopp needs to take the shackles off even if we lose something defensively. He can play any 2 of 5 in a fucking double-pivot - whatever that is - and it's still too many at home to Fulham. We need to absolutely smash them or all the old negativity JK has rinsed from the crowd will start to seep back.

C

Caradoc

I was just thinking that. We will see in January if he goes back for him. He tends to wait to get the man he wants.

If Fekir was seen as a key piece in any proposed new tactical approach then going into this season Klopp could easily be caught between sticking with last season’s formula minus The Ox and trying to find an alternative way to introduce the new format without Fekir. It would be quite plausible then for him to fall somewhere in between the two, undermining the new system and confusing the players in the process. All conjecture on my part but we do seem to be falling short of a smooth system and the players do play as if they are slightly confused at times.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I've always felt that when Bobby plays well so do Liverpool. Its a real kick in the nuts to see him and Mo both struggle at the same time because it more or less destroys our attacking fluidity. I think Klopp might be simply trying to play Mo into form at this stage.
That fact that 100M or thereabouts spent on two new midfield players who have yet to make any impact on the side should not be left out of the conversation. Getting Keita and Fabinho settled and bedded in beside Henderson would make a huge difference. In fairness to Gini he has steeped his game up a lot this season but his performances in away games rarely convinces me.
Looking at the front 3 I think Klopp simply has to use Shaq more often. At the weekend I'd go Hendo, Fabinho, Keita, Shaq, Mane and Firmino in front of the back 5.

C

Caradoc

Trouble is contracts tend to be longer-term these days. Would he have accepted a 2 year contract with us when Lyon may well have offered him something longer? I really don’t know.

As for The Ox, again I think that there is a huge risk that he won’t be able to play at the level he was playing at prior to his injury and a very real risk that he may not even play again full stop.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Wow been a while since we've have melt down city going on in here. Some classics too.

Bad day at work from the reds that. No doubt. They were shit. But the over analysis of the stats to make it look bad is just fools gold.

We go again. Do not forget the value of a poor performance. Klopp will have them sorted after that shambles.

Fulham are fucked.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
We've been unfortunate with injuries mainly hitting us in midfield,we've not been able to try certain trio's as when one cones back another gets injured and vice versa,terrible fucking luck.

Dak7385

We've been unfortunate with injuries mainly hitting us in midfield,we've not been able to try certain trio's as when one cones back another gets injured and vice versa,terrible fucking luck.
I am more concerned that every time we get the ball to Mane, he invariably loses it on a one to one,except when he is running past a defender. His passing when facing a defender costs us more times than enough.
This has been a fault for months.

jaffod

Who wanted Napoli at Anfield to be a pointless fixture anyway? We always have amazing European nights at Anfield when balls are to the wall.
It's shaping up like 2005....we needed to beat Olympiakos by 2 goals after losing 1-0 away...we all know how that turned out...

Red Ted

They surely spent 40mil on him thinking he would be up to it but soon realised he wasn't and have been trying to fix it with him since.

LS12Red

At this point I think it's a massive presumption we will get anything from our next two CL fixtures. We have not played with any consistency all season, unbeaten in the EPL but can anyone honestly say we've been anywhere near our best? We need to get the basics right, our passing was shocking, there was a lack of intensity all game and we were totally lacking any creativity.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
I realise that the match has only just finished and posters are emotional but what’s being written isn’t a fair reflection on what this side has achieved so far this season. This was a very poor performance, no doubt about it, but as Livvy said on the pre-match thread ‘shit happens!
I would say because posters are concerned at watching our team perform progressively worse throughout the season. Although our place in the league and results don't necessarily reflect that, the performances does in many peoples view.

Yes shit does happen, but it's happening far too much at the moment and after what we achieved last season, and the way we played, expectations are so much higher. Probably more so after spending a fair bit of coin in summer.

Flobs

FADA
Yeah. He would have probably given us a good two years. But you try and sell that to the people who have to write a cheque for 50m quid.
Clubs have done dafter things than that. :J

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Just had opportunity to watch that steaming pile of garbage.

Cannot understand why Klopp is so blind to the simplest of things

We used to make fun of Mancs playing hoof-ball with mop-head Fellaini standing in the pen circle, yet today we kept reverting to that same STUPID plan for near the entire 2nd half

When you have someone like Wijnaldum playing short passes with your CB while your entire squad in already in the oppo half, you need a new Midfielder. Fucking shambles, Terrible lack of any idea what to do

He keeps persisting with the same players who are playing gash, and kids like Wilson and Woodburn are rotting away at the U23

Mane was shite. Salah has forgotten how to run into space. Milner looked 38. Trent our best crosser of the ball and gets subbed off for Gomez while chasing the game?

What the flying fuck is going on with our bench?

Flobs

FADA
There seems very little flair in that unless Keita starts to flourish.
We don't need flair from our midfield we need creativity. Which is lacking at times as well. If my memory serves me well I think Henderson had a bit of creativity once upon a time (must have been beaten out of him). :-)

Flobs

FADA
Trouble is contracts tend to be longer-term these days. Would he have accepted a 2 year contract with us when Lyon may well have offered him something longer? I really don’t know.

As for The Ox, again I think that there is a huge risk that he won’t be able to play at the level he was playing at prior to his injury and a very real risk that he may not even play again full stop.
If you could be sure of 2 years the contract would be for 4. You might even have gotten 4 years out of him. This is because any renewal would be looked at after 2 years (on a 4 year contract) and at that point he could be assesed. let's face it you don't spend 40 50 million for a 2 year wonder. We'll see if he's still playing well for Lyon in 5 years time we might have some regrets. The thing is we don't know he could have been a huge player for us for 4 or 5 years. I'm just going to have to get over it though as it didn't happenand is not going yo happen.

Flobs

FADA
I realise that the match has only just finished and posters are emotional but what’s being written isn’t a fair reflection on what this side has achieved so far this season. This was a very poor performance, no doubt about it, but as Livvy said on the pre-match thread ‘shit happens!
This is the post match thread. It is not the season so far thread. The reflections seen in here should reflect the match I saw and by and large they do. :-)