POST MATCH: Red Star v Liverpool (UCL 6/11/18 5.55pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaffod

It's becoming clear we haven't got the squad we thought we had in terms of quality and being able to rotate effectively.

It looks to me like JK has given up on Clyne and Solanke, probably Origi too. Moreno appears to be some sort of mascot with the occasional game thrown in as a reward. Matip, Lallana and Sturridge were underwhelming last night when we really needed them to step up and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Danny develops a couple of mystery ailments now as I don't think he'll have taken too kindly to being subbed off at HT.

So we are left with a core group of around 14 players again and unable to rotate effectively in attack or at full-back. Throw in the fact we seem to have 2 or 3 centre-mids injured at any given time and things don't look too rosy.

Dark Metal

TIA New Signing
Blasphemy..... they will never be able to play better than us even if we make all our boys play with one foot off the ground. Nonsense....

Didn’t want to comment earlier because it might be construed as overreacting (work both ways, we beat a team and people start talking about us being unplayable is also overreacting....).

This has been written all over after our Chelsea matchup. We’ve been riding on our luck even against Huddersfield. I said we should not be too glad to rely too heavily on our defence and luck, we will get punished by a slightly better team and it has happened.

I think we are missing Buvac in our attacking and high pressing style.
What's the story with this? Is he coming back? Or is he off for good?

costared

TIA Reserve Team
As soon as I saw that team I knew we were in trouble. Gini and Lalla are never going to do well in tough physical games and Milner had a tough game on Saturday night so was unlikely to be at his best. Matip and Sturridge are also lightweight players when it comes to the crunch. Dissapointing but we live to fight another day.

phil smith

So many mistakes made from everybody last night including Klopp.
Not taking Shaquiri
Leaving Gomez on the bench when he was clearly fit enough to play.
Picking such a weak midfield who were mainly non existent. Milner had one of his worst games in a red shirt. You could count on one hand the number of times Gini passed the ball forwards and for me was totally to blame for the second goal. Lallana just looked like a schoolboy playing against men. Pointless and slow moving the ball sideways. The forwards aren't clicking at the moment but the midfield are not getting the ball up to them early enough. Most of our goals last season were quick early breaks and crisp passing. At the moment we are taking that long to get into the opposition half they have got ten men back behind the ball.
As previous posters have put on here Matip, Lallana and Sturridge should never be in a starting eleven unless injuries dictate it.
The main priority to get out of this slump is to try and get a settled midfield and go from there.
As my old man used to say it's ok making mistakes as long as you learn from them and put them right.
Give Robbo my MOM as I thought he was the only one who showed any form.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Last night’s whole performance was very, very strange. Our midfield may just as well have not been there. As a result our defence was totally exposed and our attack cast adrift. And Klopp looked lost and finally sat down. Bizarre.

Not sure why Klopp didn’t go with the double 6 of Gini and Fabinho that worked so well at home against this lot. And light-weight players like Lallana, Sturridge and Matip seemed a very strange selection for a red-hot environment like last night’s was always going to be.

RedSeven

On the one road
So far this season we have been struggling to recreate what we had last year.There have been very few games ,no matter what the result or scoreline,where we have been that team who everyone else feared.Klopp needs to either figure it out or sort it out and quickly otherwise these results will become more commonplace and will affect what was supposed to be "our year".

Noo Noo

I agree entirely. We seem to have changed style from a high press, fast game to a slower possession based game. Deliberate? I am not sure? It leaves a gap between midfield and the front 3 so we end up hoofing it forward and hoping for some magic. Our midfield are also not suited to a slow possession game - cannot keep it and cannot penetrate.

Changing identity is a huge deal and has been evident all year. We need to go back to what Klopp knows or was it indeed Buvac?
You cant press when you have the ball. Teams allows us to have the ball so the onus is on us to create something rather than forcing a mistake which is what pressing does.

Basically you need the control in midfield to start with.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Some coaches only ever succeed as a number 2 and are very good at it. When they make the step up they struggle but that doesn’t mean they aren’t still very good assistant manager material. Lijnders may well be one of those coaches.
You might be correct regarding Lijnders, being a competent number two. I'm not making an assertion, just posing the question. It's evident though, that our transitions from defence to attack, counter-pressing, interchanges etc. are not working as well as last season. Something isn't right; I wonder how much of it (none / some / all) might be down to the coaching staff and/or the departure of Buvac.

I assume your Achterberg comment was made tongue in cheek.
I'm not sure about Achterberg. In all fairness, he might not be the problem, but I'm struggling to think of a single goalkeeper that has improved under his tutelage while I can think of at least two who appear to have stagnated/regressed.
And if there is any substance in the rumour, that his continued tenure was the catalyst for the departure of Buvac, I know who I'd have got rid of first.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ive said it all along - Im not a fan of playing poorly and winning because eventually you'll drop points.
Once or twice a season you can get away with it but as our results show - we have won 3 of last 9- we are not winning that much.
So we are playing poorly and winning 30% of the last 9 games - that wont win you much.
Im amazed we are unbeaten in the league to be honest but we are so if we kick on it will be great platform but if we fizzle out it will mean nothing.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Last night’s whole performance was very, very strange. Our midfield may just as well have not been there. As a result our defence was totally exposed and our attack cast adrift. And Klopp looked lost and finally sat down. Bizarre.

Not sure why Klopp didn’t go with the double 6 of Gini and Fabinho that worked so well at home against this lot. And light-weight players like Lallana, Sturridge and Matip seemed a very strange selection for a red-hot environment like last night’s was always going to be.
Our midfield made zero tackles in 270 minutes of football last night.. Fucking shite that.

phil smith

I don’t think we know nearly enough about the circumstances to presume that Klopp left Shaq at home for purely football reasons.
I'm not saying it was purely for football reasons but I've never heard of a player being omitted from a squad because of a political problem.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'm not saying it was purely for football reasons but I've never heard of a player being omitted from a squad because of a political problem.
Me neither, so it was obviously not a decision that was taken lightly, and as I said in the Shaqiri thread, I would not be surprised if there had been some concern aired for public safety which the club felt they had to address.

RedLar

An irony to me that we had 70 plus percent of the ball and out shot them by a factor of 3 or 4, yet still looked pretty shyte.

RSB are pants, and we just lost to them. I'd like to put it down as a bad day at the office, but a defeat that has rather been coming all season, if truth be told.

Milner was awful. VVD was pretty average. Sturridge is without pace, and missed a sitter.

Our tactics - essentially 4-3-3 - do not help us, but not sure even that was a factor last night, as our first conceded goal was largely what you'd see on a school ground, and the second was Milner coughing it up in our own half, for their centre forward to speculatively beat our keeper from 30 yards. Allison looked iffy there, I must say.

It was like happy birthday RSB, and hopefully a wake up call for Klopp and the team. Form has really been at the dogs, i have to say.

RedLar

It's funny, we have put ourselves in a situation where we may need to top the group to qualify - quite likely need two wins, which has a good chance of topping the group. Four more points could well be third.
I have not looked at the table closely, but if we manage to beat PSG, then I suspect we are guaranteed advancement to the next round. Assuming Red Shyte Belgrade dont provide other upsets.

I am of the opinion that if we lose to PSG, then we probably don't belong in the next round?

liver1

I have not looked at the table closely, but if we manage to beat PSG, then I suspect we are guaranteed advancement to the next round. Assuming Red Shyte Belgrade dont provide other upsets.

I am of the opinion that if we lose to PSG, then we probably don't belong in the next round?
Weirdly we only need 1 win from either of our final 2 games.

If we beat PSG we will be 4 points ahead of them with 1 game to go.

If we lose to PSG and Napoli win against Red Star, we will be 3 points behind Napoli. So if we win the last game at Anfield by 2 goals or more we will tie on 9 points each and go through on the head to head.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I agree entirely. We seem to have changed style from a high press, fast game to a slower possession based game. Deliberate? I am not sure? It leaves a gap between midfield and the front 3 so we end up hoofing it forward and hoping for some magic. Our midfield are also not suited to a slow possession game - cannot keep it and cannot penetrate.

Changing identity is a huge deal and has been evident all year. We need to go back to what Klopp knows or was it indeed Buvac?
Spot on, saved me typing it out thanks

We are playing like Leicester City circa 2016. Hoof into channels

jredp

I realise our massive disappointment, but please stand behind our players 'YNWA' means You'll never walk alone.
being critical is normal, but please don't overdo it.
I just have a feeling that if we don't try to be too arrogant in our predictions, we might be able to make better assessment of our games.(My opinion of being 'arrogant' means not predicting that we'll beat teams before a ball has been kicked, even worse that we'll hammer them.) doesn't matter who we play (sorry 2 exceptions), we should show every opposing team some respect, no jumping to conclusions because of the opposing team position in whatever division they are in.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
well you do now.

Wouldn't had been an issue if Shaqiri hadn't provoked the serbian fans at the WC, or if our boys had played up to standard and won the damn game.

Jah_Pool

It wasn't just that the midfield was awful, the fact is, it was non-existent for the whole fucking game. Meantime, Fabinho and Keita were on the bench, WTF was the manager thinking. I mean he subs Sturridge which was correct, but why take off TAA to put on a defender who cant cross the ball. This was the heights of stupid. At the half , take off Sturridge and Lallana, bring in Firmino and Keita, move TAA to midfield and play 3 at the back and have a go at RSB. Klopp needs an assistant who is the opposite of him I feel. On another note, we need some midfielders with finesse. Look at Citeh with David Silva, Bernardo Silva, KDB and Phil Foden. Liverpool has no players in the squad or coming through with the technique, vision, skill , touch of any of these players. Trust me, if I'm LFC, I would be tapping up Foden at every opportunity. We need at least two players of this quality, gone are the days when running was all a midfielder had to do.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
We still first place in our group, people need to relax big time.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Just to clarify the CL group stage is not sorted by goal difference and goals scored as the first criteria. Its head to head performance first.
  1. Points
  2. Points in head-to-head matches;
  3. Goal difference in head-to-head matches;
  4. Goals scored in head-to-head matches;
  5. Away goals scored in head-to-head matches;
  6. GD
  7. Goals scored