POST MATCH: Red Star v Liverpool (UCL 6/11/18 5.55pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
UTTERLY PURELY ....SHITE.... JK 's change of tactics to consolidate defence this year has only succeeded in producing toothless midfield and attack.... Shambolic .....

Rambler

Second is one step away from triumph.
There's such a fine line between success and failure at this level....Sturridge scores and their heads go down......I didn't really get the overconfidence from some before the game ..these places are so hard to go and grind out results..

GTA_G20

FirminoFan
This has been coming for some time. Playing like trash and kicking out with 1-0 wins. Well get behind on the score sheet. Field 4 defenders and 3 midfielders and 3 greedy forwards who forgot how to share the ball.

Horrible passing.
Horrible ball control.
Selfish players.
Poor substitutions
Poor substitutes.

It’s not the end of the world but when comparing yourselves to the best in Europe. This is not good enough

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Let's cross some more that will open them. No point analyzing what went wrong and whatnot. Everything was shit from start to finish.

This defeat will probably send us to EL based on what we've seen so far. You can't get away with playing like shit forever.

The only bright point is that we might have hit rock bottom. But honestly it doesn't look like it.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
This like the Napoli result, has been coming all season, our defense finally creaks and allows a goal and our midfield/attack continue their massive slump. They have been saving us points all season, coincidence when Mr passive Matip comes back into the side? Never seen a player of that size been so fucking gash in the air or scared of being proactive.

So many of the understudies we should have binned off ages ago stinking the place out.

Why give Matip minutes when Gomez (who is fit as he came on) and VVD have been solid.
Why persist with Lallana when Wilson was available? Lallana is 2 years past the point of we should have sold him, he is a player who slows down our play, creates fuck all and is a soft arsed flower in midfield who wins nothing.
Why give Sturridge his 99th chance rather than strengthening properly? Having no back up to Firmino (i.e. someone who can actually run) has burnt out Firmino.
Why continue to run Milner into the ground? He is showing his 32 years, woefully behind the pace and a huge liability on the ball.

Klopp making big errors, seems to me its finally showing how much Buvac is missing.. Our attack is completely predictable, nothing is working, teams know how to defend against us, utterly devoid of ideas.

Honestly it was like we were back 2 years, we passed it around slowly, took too many touches, went nowhere for minutes, went wide and crosses aimlessly into the box. Also what is it with going long? Fucking aimless punts to the smallest front line in football.

So pissed off tonight, that was a shower of shit all over.

P.s. Leaving Shaqiri at home was a fucking diabolical mistake.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
I don't even care about the result.
But you knobheads couldn't even score 1?
You couldn't even sustain one attack?
Our fans pay through their teeth to watch you guys and you turn up like this.
I seriously hope every traveling kopite petitions for a refund.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
I think it is time to let go of 17/18, and assess this team, these players, as they are in this season.

Decent defence that struggles with nerves in big game pressure (Cups, Europe, some of the bigger PL matches).
Midfield that cannot be relied upon to take and hold control of the center of the park, nor build a platform to create scoring pressure.
Attack that is at best inconsistent, turns over the ball far too often, and struggles to create good chances.
That sums it up well but the real question is why? They just seemed to have lost the plot of how they played last season....has Buvac leaving made a difference after all?

Icedagger

We are still undefeated in the league...but that was frustrating. Lallana can’t play within this team. He slows things down way too much. I’m not sure if it’s just injuries catching up with him or what but we look so much better without him on the field.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Prof you ain't stronger than your weakest link, and with a really weak link in every chain I guess this happens.

Herb

3 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats in our last 9 games. Thank fuck the standard of teams in our domestic league is so shite because the way we’ve been playing pretty much all season you’d think if there was any real collection of half decent mid table teams we’d not have got away with so many lacklustre performances. Deservedly punished tonight for a really woeful performance in which nobody escapes with any credit.

Clinging to the hope that this change in tact so far is part of some master plan that enables us to press relentlessly from pretty much the period after the coming international break until the end of the season. Though the fact half of them look knackered and without any spring in their step as it is doesn’t fill me with a huge amount of confidence in that regard.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
That hideous statue of Mo would’ve put in a better performance! Wait a minute, that was the statue playing after all !!

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I think it is time to let go of 17/18, and assess this team, these players, as they are in this season.

Decent defence that struggles with nerves in big game pressure (Cups, Europe, some of the bigger PL matches).
Midfield that cannot be relied upon to take and hold control of the center of the park, nor build a platform to create scoring pressure.
Attack that is at best inconsistent, turns over the ball far too often, and struggles to create good chances.
Why we haven’t brought any proper competition for Mane, Salah and Firmino is criminal. All 3 have literally no competition and it shows with their attitude, no fight no desire.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
That sums it up well but the real question is why? They just seemed to have lost the plot of how they played last season....has Buvac leaving made a difference after all?
I am worried that there is a real chance that Salah's true level is somewhere between where it was for about five months last season, and the guy who scored 15 goals for Roma the year before. We are relying on him to open up the left side of the defence, and it just is not happening.

C

Caradoc

I realise that the match has only just finished and posters are emotional but what’s being written isn’t a fair reflection on what this side has achieved so far this season. This was a very poor performance, no doubt about it, but as Livvy said on the pre-match thread ‘shit happens!

Noo Noo

That about sums it up to be honest other than its been coming.

It's as if we're trying to be too intricate up front and I'm certainly not comfortable with Salah being more central than he was last season.

Fabinho and Keita just haven't worked out at all right now either. The Fekir saga also springs to mind.

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
How can Klopp rectify this playing we'd have been seeing recently?
Any ideas because I am so disappointed right now. Europe was our forte, now it seems far away now.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Think there's some overreacting going on.

Very poor performance. Hopefully a few changes for the next one, would like to see the midfield balance altered.

The squad players did nothing to suggest they deserve any more time - Matip and Lallana have no urgency, physicality or aggression. They make us a soft target in games like that.

Fulham at home next, a nice game to bounce back with. Need to Shaqiri and Keita fully ingrained in our first team as soon as possible.

RedForever2014

We lack a playmaker, the club’s non replacement of Coutinho, especially after the Oxlade-Chamberlain injury, has fucked us.

This is compounded by Klopp’s team selections and substitutions, which are baffling at times.

Four defeats away from Anfield in the CL since Oxlade-Chamberlain got injured is no coincidence.

Second time in four years we have not gone through the group stages after selling a key player to Barcelona if we don’t turn this around.

Midfield has gone backwards, the forwards jaded.

We might be getting results in the PL but they’ve been despite poor performances that are now resulting in poor results.

The squad is deficient but if Klopp can’t make best use of what he has when it matters, we will never win anything.

Flobs

FADA
Almost the whole team were rubbish! It didn't look like they were not interested.
We are supposed to one of the Giants in Europe. We looked like a bunch of wimps.

MOTM : none of them!
Not just the team Maria. It's for that there isn't a place to start. Just complete bollocks from before we left Liverpool.

dockers_strike

That was a worse result than Napoli when you consider the oppos. A player who hasnt scored in ages gets 2 against us with relative ease and could have had a hattrick. A team that has conceed 10 in 2 games against PSG and us put 2 past us with relative ease. Was it me or did our players just think they were billy big bollocks and this was in the bag because we beat them 4-0 at Anfield? Hell, even the atmosphere wasnt 'intimidating' and we shouldnt let a nation of cavemen decide our squad or team selection. Shaqiri should have been out there tonight if only to stir them up and make them lose focus not, the other way around.

Seriously, if henderson makes half the number of misplaced passes Milner does every game, he gets slaughtered by the masses. Milner pings the ball to the oppos and nothing. Mane continues to infuriate me. Misplaced passes or weak shots and he's grinning like it's a training session. Lallana, I feared for this game when I saw his name on the team sheet. Does he even know how to tackle? He just seems to run to the oppo then zoom past them leaving them in acres of free space and the ball at their feet. Matip just unbalances the whole defence as far as Im concerned. Dan seemed to lose his head with that missed sitter. He went from trying to score with evey ball that came to him to disappearing altogether.

I dont like being critical of Jurgen but that team selection was piss poor. Why have we paid £45m for Fabinho and say he's not ready for the team? I had bad vibes about the team and posted such on the Echo before kick off. That was a must not lose game and we lost it comprehensively. TV commentators were going on about Red Star players blocking shots etc but most of those were just blasted straight at them from 2 metres or less. And we still turn over possession on OUR throw ins.

Simply not good enough performance by the team. At least Jurgen recognised what a pile of drivel was being served up and changed it immediately at half time.

Oh well, onto Fulham on Sunday.

Last edited: