• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Red Star v Liverpool (UCL 6/11/18 5.55pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NZred

The Red From NZ
I agree, start to finish. It's concerning. I also don't understand why they are so hellbent on running so much of the offense through Mane at the edge of the box. I love him but he does some really dumb shit with the ball. If he is going to be the central point of attack, he has to stop with the unorthodox runs wildly out of control. That's school yard football.
He's one of the worst passers in an attacking area that I can remember. Takes 5 touches when 2 will do, tries to beat 2 defenders when there is a wide open player 5 meters away. When Mane is on, he's unplayable, but when he isn't he is fucking woeful.

RedYank

If Napoli win tonight then all we have to do is win in paris.
If PSG win tonight all we have to do is beat Napoli on the last game by a two goal margin.
If PSG and Napoli draw tonight... we probably need 4 points from 6.
For me, it looks like the draw option would be the most beneficial and doable. (Currently 0-0 Napoli/PSG nearing halftime)

Red Ted

It's a myth that we have to trade off in attack to have a better defence.

Last season when Van Dijk came in we were very good at the back & lethal in attack.

City don't have a problem with keeping it tight at the back and still being themselves up front.

There are other reasons but Klopps pretty much binning the high press has to be the main reason we are not ourselves doesn't it? When we used to win the ball back high it would usually have the opposition all over the place allowing our forwards to fill their boots, even when we won it in midfield we'd be quick & direct, no messing, it's nothing like that now, fuck knows what these long punts from the back are all about?

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
If Psg beat Napoli, we just need to beat Napoli at home in the last game to go through 2nd, miraculously with 9 points. Providing Red star don't win their last 2!

lets hope PSG wins big so goals difference won't be a factor.

Red Eyes

Reached the CL final last season, and now after strengthening the squad we have lost three consecutive CL away games for the first time ever. How does that actually happen?

kwala

TIA Regular
lets hope PSG wins big so goals difference won't be a factor.
Boom. 1-0.psg!

Biggest problem we have is ourselves! Everyone bar our back 5 is miles off the pace, and a few of them look of the pace of late too!

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Has anyone watched the post match presser yet?

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Much as I hate to say it I think we will take only a point from the remaining games.

Herb

Why we haven’t brought any proper competition for Mane, Salah and Firmino is criminal. All 3 have literally no competition and it shows with their attitude, no fight no desire.
I think criminal is a bit harsh considering just how difficult that is to do. All three proved last season they can be elite players. When in form and clicking they were labelled the best front three in the world. First and foremost not many players on their level are readily available on the market. I imagine it is relatively hard to sell the idea that you can join Liverpool as an attacking player and be a regular starter based on what they did for us last year. Plus the fact we aren’t in the same boat as City who can lash 300k a week at a lad to be content with long stints on the bench.

Generally speaking when you look around the top European teams, not many if any have a large stockpile of elite attacking talent. City probably have the best depth in that regard. Barca have 4 good ones and not much else. Madrid have a misfiring Bale and not a lot else. PSG have a front 3 with no cover whatsoever. Bayern have a top striker with ageing wingers. Juve have Ronaldo + 3 other good options.

Us having our front 3 + Shaqiri and Sturridge (so nearly Fekir as well) isn’t much different to any of those sides. I‘d question the mentality, confidence and fitness of our lads at the moment over the idea of a lack of competition.

LFC4EVR

You reckon we can beat Napoli at home? If PSG win or this game ties we still have a chance! But as Kwala says we're self-inflicting wounds on ourselves with these losses and it aint doing my stress levels any good whatsoever. Its like coming home from work and doing more work watching my beloved team play like muppets. I still argue we should have had 2 more points against Arse and officials are still robbing us blind which was a fact supported by the BBC report the other month saying we had the most worst calls in the league.

Again can we beat a tough to break down Napoli at home?? If so we could yet go through.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Boom. 1-0.psg!

Biggest problem we have is ourselves! Everyone bar our back 5 is miles off the pace, and a few of them look of the pace of late too!
having Keita and Hendo back will help us going forward I believe.

One worrying factor I've just found out is that we have 4 games in 10 days with Napoli as the last one! So very tight schedule for us.

Macolfc

You reckon we can beat Napoli at home? If PSG win or this game ties we still have a chance! But as Kwala says we're self-inflicting wounds on ourselves with these losses and it aint doing my stress levels any good whatsoever. Its like coming home from work and doing more work watching my beloved team play like muppets. I still argue we should have had 2 more points against Arse and officials are still robbing us blind which was a fact supported by the BBC report the other month saying we had the most worst calls in the league.

Again can we beat a tough to break down Napoli at home?? If so we could yet go through.
One thing you can guarantee is that Anfield will be absolutely rocking against Napoli & I for one can’t wait for that game. If the atmosphere that night can’t get the lads going then nothing will

Red Eyes

I think we will do well enough in the last two matches to qualify. However with no breathing space there will be no chance to rest our best 12 or 13, and that may affect us in the prem

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Tonight was the first time RSB were playing in front of there own fans after they were banned from games,
the crowd were right up for it, they got right behind their team, and their team played above themselves.

I don't understand why Klopp didnt take this into consideration when selecting his team,
instead of a light in the tackle midfield (apart from Milner) why not start with
Rafinho, Milner and Kieta (I know he isn't fully fit yet, but he would last an hr surely)
3 players who like a tackle and can stamp their authority on the game
and stand up to the RSB midfield and not be overrun by them

Instead we never got a grip on the game in the 1st half, and let them dictate the game,
once they got their goals they just sat in and made it hard for us.

we could still be playing the now and still not closer to getting a goal!

Fuck it,
I need to go for another walk.....

Flobs

FADA
The players will have the delight of watching their performance on the way home with Klopp according to Klopp,i'm glad i'm not one of them.
On that performance I feel Klopp has as much to answer for as the players. I hope none of them have the guts to stand up to him on this ocassion as that might bugger us up completely. Pretty sure none have the guts after that weak poop I saw tonight though.