• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Red Star v Liverpool (UCL 6/11/18 5.55pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think criminal is a bit harsh considering just how difficult that is to do. All three proved last season they can be elite players. When in form and clicking they were labelled the best front three in the world. First and foremost not many players on their level are readily available on the market. I imagine it is relatively hard to sell the idea that you can join Liverpool as an attacking player and be a regular starter based on what they did for us last year. Plus the fact we aren’t in the same boat as City who can lash 300k a week at a lad to be content with long stints on the bench.

Generally speaking when you look around the top European teams, not many if any have a large stockpile of elite attacking talent. City probably have the best depth in that regard. Barca have 4 good ones and not much else. Madrid have a misfiring Bale and not a lot else. PSG have a front 3 with no cover whatsoever. Bayern have a top striker with ageing wingers. Juve have Ronaldo + 3 other good options.

Us having our front 3 + Shaqiri and Sturridge (so nearly Fekir as well) isn’t much different to any of those sides. I‘d question the mentality, confidence and fitness of our lads at the moment over the idea of a lack of competition.
I just think relying on Sturridge and Lallana has back fired massively.

Flobs

FADA
Tonight was the first time RSB were playing in front of there own fans after they were banned from games,
the crowd were right up for it, they got right behind their team, and their team played above themselves.

I don't understand why Klopp didnt take this into consideration when selecting his team,
instead of a light in the tackle midfield (apart from Milner) why not start with
Rafinho, Milner and Kieta (I know he isn't fully fit yet, but he would last an hr surely)
3 players who like a tackle and can stamp their authority on the game
and stand up to the RSB midfield and not be overrun by them

Instead we never got a grip on the game in the 1st half, and let them dictate the game,
once they got their goals they just sat in and made it hard for us.

we could still be playing the now and still not closer to getting a goal!

Fuck it,
I need to go for another walk.....
We had already bent over to them over Shaquiri (although that is as much down to Shaquiri as us) so why change tact?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Well that was utter garbage. I don't know what to say, but we seem to have lost our way. The lack of pressing seems to make it easier to play against us.

Woeful. The boys haven't earned their wages tonight.

angryal

This has been coming for some time. Playing like trash and kicking out with 1-0 wins. Well get behind on the score sheet. Field 4 defenders and 3 midfielders and 3 greedy forwards who forgot how to share the ball.

Horrible passing.
Horrible ball control.
Selfish players.
Poor substitutions
Poor substitutes.

It’s not the end of the world but when comparing yourselves to the best in Europe. This is not good enough
Not much wrong with what you have said at all!!!! Embarrassing Performance by all players and very disappointed tonight also by Klopps inabilities in changing any thing shit subs

Alright Now

He's one of the worst passers in an attacking area that I can remember. Takes 5 touches when 2 will do, tries to beat 2 defenders when there is a wide open player 5 meters away. When Mane is on, he's unplayable, but when he isn't he is fucking woeful.
The one worthless thing I will say though: he fights when we are down. Saw it in the CL final too. He makes a real point of it.

NZred

The Red From NZ
First time we've lost 3 away matches on the bounce. When you consider some of the utter rubbish we've put out in years gone that's a really embarrasing record for Klopp to now have.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
He's one of the worst passers in an attacking area that I can remember. Takes 5 touches when 2 will do, tries to beat 2 defenders when there is a wide open player 5 meters away. When Mane is on, he's unplayable, but when he isn't he is fucking woeful.
Can’t the same be said of most when they aren’t on?? At least he reaches unplayable when he is on

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Does it suit us best if PSG win ? (My head hurts trying to figure it out.)

Basically, on the assumption PSG and Napoli beat red star when they play them .... it means a PSG win tonight means if we win in Paris then any win against Napoli will see us through.
If we lose in Paris or draw then a two goal win is needed against Napoli.
Basically our PSG game will determine how many goals we need to beat Napoli by...

If Napoli win tonight we just need to win in Paris.

YNWA-HM

Banned Users
Just seeing the score now.
Gotta be one of the most embarrassing Liverpool performances in a looong time.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
I loved Lallana when Klopp first got here. He was instrumental in our gegenpressing and had a relentless motor coupled with some skill.
I’m not writing him off 100% yet, but he is a couple more of these dire displays away from me tossing him to the junk heap. He does very little positive in possession, and seems at least a step slow in closing down. He is five times more likely to foul the opponent with the ball now than nick it from him.
It’s sad, but I fear that is his current reality and he’d be best to find his way out the door.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
If Napoli and PSG draw (then again assuming they both beat red star) we still really just need to beat Napoli by two goals.

In simple terms, PSG lose then we can go through by winning in Paris.
Anything else and we can lose in Paris but still go through by beating Napoli 2-0.

Macolfc

Basically, on the assumption PSG and Napoli beat red star when they play them .... it means a PSG win tonight means if we win in Paris then any win against Napoli will see us through.
Basically our PSG game will determine how many goals we need to beat Napoli by...

From my understanding, if PSG win tonight all we need to do is beat Napoli at home am I wrong? Presuming Napoli & PSG beat Red star that would mean PSG on 10 with Napoli on 8. We beat Napoli & that leaves us with 9?

Herb

I just think relying on Sturridge and Lallana has back fired massively.
In regards to Lallana, I’d agree though I don’t see him as an attacking option. Klopp did against Huddersfield and it didn’t look great, I don’t think we’ll see it very often again.

Sturridge has 4 goals this season in somewhere around 360ish minutes which is surely what you’d hope for from a backup player though and probably better than any of us would have expected. Fluffed his lines tonight but generally I think he’s done a decent job this season. Had we let him go (which would have been very easy to do after last season) and put faith in Origi or Solanke I doubt they would have had the same impact or goal return, so maybe they deserve a little bit of credit for keeping him around and involved.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray

Assuming it's a draw then tonight , and they both beat Red Star , does that mean we'll have to beat both of them to go through ?