POST MATCH: Red Star v Liverpool (UCL 6/11/18 5.55pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FilthyBloke

Btw who gives a shit about yester years players we are here and now and this is a post match thread. If you haven't anything to say about tonights match go on to another thread with your hypothetical nonsense.
I know who's in our squad and I want them to win stuff not some fat arsed git who left us.
What ever any one says (and that includes me when it comes to Wijnaldum) it's this group that matters.
Lalana is a very good player to have if you want to control a game.
Sturridge is a fine skriker as long as you don't ask him to zonal mark the center at a corner.
Wijnaldum is very good infront of a DM roaming looking for space just don't expect him to take a yellow for the team when an opposition player is about to strike a worldie.
Mané well I just can not for the life of me imagine how any LFC supporter can criticise what he's giving atm.
TAA is a fine young talent who needs some leaders to help him progress.
Klopp is giving it his all even if he's making tactical and personel errors at the moment he will get it right.

Tonight we had a team that was split in half. Half sitting deep and half on high press with acres of space in between. On top of that they all performed poorly that can happen especially after a fairly long flight. There's wires crossed in there and our only really influencial leader isn't a player so isn't on the pitch (that complicates things some what I think).

Still that was a poor performance however as @Livvy points out we are still top of the group and have time to sort this shit out. Waffling on about what it might have been with a raspberry on the team just isn't fun to read!
I agree... but it also highlights our shortcomings. Wijnandum is fine as long as it doesn’t mean blocking a shot. Sturridge is fine as long as he doesn’t have to do defensive duties. Lallana is fine when he’s fit and on form. TAA is a big talent but needs a leader (that we are lacking).
It’s a few too many square pegs in round holes.
I think klopp has 11 players that are 100% his system... but the rest don’t quite fit but have to make do.

Like Shaqiri. If he starts in midfield klopp tends to play two deeper midfielders to compensate for Shaqiris lack of pressing.
If Shaqiri is in place of salah or mane again the pressing is less but He creates and is direct.
Clyne doesn’t attack well enough and Moreno can’t defend well enough so TAA and Robertson will start no matter how bad their form might be.
Sturridge doesn’t press so firmino could go on a 3 year goal drought but he’s still a better fit to klopps system than Daniel.

C

Caradoc

Twas busy tonight, I'm afraid.

I'm no good at reading social cues, but I'm vibing on the possibility that we didn't play that well...

:think:

Way out mate ......... way out ..........

We were shit ....... !

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Your post was pretty scathing. I’d hate to see what lies beyond that that would place your post somewhere in the middle! lol
I think Klopp is under a stern test right now; especially without Buvac. I'd hate to see him gone, but then again, I never even suggested that, you did :rolleyes:

I prefer the middle, realism, rather than too harsh, or too optimistic. I can see some posters wallow at either end. Call it as you see it though; tonight was very shit so its just not okay to claim all is rosey or will be. Even Klopp himself only had ten fingers.

If I had one finger, Oxlade Chamberlain not at 10, is the biggest problem. Even worse, he might not ever be the same player.

Flobs

FADA
I agree... but it also highlights our shortcomings. Wijnandum is fine as long as it doesn’t mean blocking a shot. Sturridge is fine as long as he doesn’t have to do defensive duties. Lallana is fine when he’s fit and on form. TAA is a big talent but needs a leader (that we are lacking).
It’s a few too many square pegs in round holes.
I think klopp has 11 players that are 100% his system... but the rest don’t quite fit but have to make do.

Like Shaqiri. If he starts in midfield klopp tends to play two deeper midfielders to compensate for Shaqiris lack of pressing.
If Shaqiri is in place of salah or mane again the pressing is less but He creates and is direct.
Clyne doesn’t attack well enough and Moreno can’t defend well enough so TAA and Robertson will start no matter how bad their form might be.
Sturridge doesn’t press so firmino could go on a 3 year goal drought but he’s still a better fit to klopps system than Daniel.
What is Klopp's system?
At the moment we have a deep defensive line and high pressing. He's got to sort his ideas out first imo then we can discuss which players fit the system. An example is Firmino so far this season he is completely ineffectual in all aspects of play. Even when he came on tonight he didn't make an iota of a different and if anything made us look even more impuissant than we were with Sturridge.
Going to 2 DM's with Shaquiri might be a solution the problem is we havent got 2 DM's.
All this is very difficult to discuss as so far this season we havent looked like we have a system which is becoming reminiscent of BR's reign.

Tonight just confused me even more. Seeing Sturridge defending centrally at a corner can only be described as arrogant. I have enough trouble seeing Firmino do that let alone Sturridge.

FilthyBloke

What is Klopp's system?
At the moment we have a deep defensive line and high pressing. He's got to sort his ideas out first imo then we can discuss which players fit the system. An example is Firmino so far this season he is completely ineffectual in all aspects of play. Even when he came on tonight he didn't make an iota of a different and if anything made us look even more impuissant than we were with Sturridge.
Going to 2 DM's with Shaquiri might be a solution the problem is we havent got 2 DM's.
All this is very difficult to discuss as so far this season we havent looked like we have a system which is becoming reminiscent of BR's reign.

Tonight just confused me even more. Seeing Sturridge defending centrally at a corner can only be described as arrogant. I have enough trouble seeing Firmino do that let alone Sturridge.
But it’s the only explanation I can think of why klopp persists in such out of form players.
They fit his ideology.
But klopp has tinkered and I think he’s confused himself.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
But it’s the only explanation I can think of why klopp persists in such out of form players.
They fit his ideology.
Maybe, or does he have too many players for the same positions?

Flobs

FADA
They fit his ideology.
That's my thoughts exactly. and a confused manager makes for confused performances.
i still think he will pull it around though but he might need a nudge in the right direction from an experienced player or coach (will they have the balls?).

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Thoughts

1) from the first whistle the players looked completely intimidated by the atmosphere. It was hostile, but at the end of the day it’s just people fucking shouting, and professional, highly paid athletes should still be able to perform.

2) Never, ever fucking ever want to see Adam Lallana in a Liverpool shirt again. That might be harsh, but he offers nothing, slows everything down with his pointless twists and turns and for all his lovely technique, it never comes to anything at all.

3) Timewasting. When is the game going to get a grip on this? Red Star took about twenty minutes out of that second half alone and it was so frustrating to watch, never mind be part of. They took a minute out of injury time just on one throw in. Yellow cards should have been handed out with every blatantly feigned injury, and the referee should have played another fucking ten minutes.

4) Milner, Gini, Trent, and Mane looked knackered and probably still feeling the Arsenal game.

5) I think Klopp got the team selection all wrong. Regardless of his performance on Sat I would have played Fabinho. The defence always looks shaky with Matip, so I think he is only an emergency option right now. Gomez deserves to be starting these fixtures as a centre back, and I don’t think we concede the first with him in there. I thought Klopp would go with Lovren, but with him ill (again) I think you have to play Joe.

6) How different does this turn out if Sturridge puts that simple ball into the open goal. Really terrible for a finisher, and that, and the selfishness he showed in front of goal on a couple of occasions when he had better options that snatching at never on shots, meant he deserved the hook at half time.

7) Bin off that blue shirt please. It’s fucking awful, it’s conpletely wrong for us and we never play well in it. And it isn’t purple. It’s fucking blue. Bad vibes.

8) Apparently the team get back tonight at about 1am. I hope Klopp is still shouting at them as they land. He spent most of the game ranting at them, so whatever he is asking them to do they are clearly not doing it. They owe him and the fans a performance at the weekend and there is no excuse not to batter Fulham.

9) Can we stop these fucking Gomez long throws. Literally what is the point? It does nothing for us.

10) There was a stunning lack of willing from any of our lads to take on any of theres. Which is bizarre as Mane had their full back on toast all night. It’s fine to lose the ball if your trying something that could get us in. We’re incredibly reluctant to do the boss thing that would put us in a good position - whether that’s skinning an opponent (which both Salah or Mane are perfectly capable of) or carving them with a through ball. The preference is to check back, and keep passing the ball across midfield. They look incredibly risk averse, which is not the LFC I’m used to.

FilthyBloke

That's my thoughts exactly. and a confused manager makes for confused performances.
i still think he will pull it around though but he might need a nudge in the right direction from an experienced player or coach (will they have the balls?).
I can’t think of any....
What he needs is a passionate number 2. Someone like carragher (before sky diluted him).

C

Caradoc

I’m wondering just how much the Fekir debacle affected Klopp’s plans going into this season. It just seemed like a very specific type of signing if that makes sense. So as far as our failure to close the deal goes, just how significant was that (if at all)?

I just feel that Ox’s absence coupled with the Fekir deal falling through may be what's missing.

FilthyBloke

I’m just wondering just how much the Fekir debacle affected Klopp’s plans going into this season. It just seemed like a very specific type of signing if that makes sense. So as far as our failure to close the deal goes, just how significant was that (if at all)?
I was just thinking that. We will see in January if he goes back for him. He tends to wait to get the man he wants.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I was just thinking that. We will see in January if he goes back for him. He tends to wait to get the man he wants.
I don’t think we’ll be back. If it was just an inability to close the deal, then maybe. But this was a medical finding that his knee had been fixed with a pritt stick.

Flobs

FADA
I can’t think of any....
What he needs is a passionate number 2. Someone like carragher (before sky diluted him).
It really saddened me that Carragher went down the pundit line. I have never seen a player shout as much as he did and having him barking out orders from the touchline would have been a joy to watch. He would have to be mindful of the officials mind you. :-)

FilthyBloke

I don’t think we’ll be back. If it was just an inability to close the deal, then maybe. But this was a medical finding that his knee had been fixed with a pritt stick.
If that was the official diagnosis that would be fantastic!

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
Well...I've just caught up and for some strange reason I can't help but think of the fire drill on The Simpsons...

In case you were wondering I'm that guy just running in circles.

Flobs

FADA
I think he's showing that the fix was/is fine but perhaps the arthritic damage put us off.