• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Salzburg v Liverpool (UCL 10/12/19 5.55pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lovren [off 53’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 39 25.2%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Keita [GOAL 57’, off 87’]

Votes: 95 61.3%
  • Salah [GOAL 58’]

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Firmino [off 75’]

• Mane

Votes: 44 28.4%
  • Gomez [on 53’]

• Milner [on 75’]

• Origi [on 87’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

melbournered

Bloody hell, Salzburg are a very good team, young and well coached.
Their manager will go on to bigger and better things.

They put everything into the game for 70 minutes and simply ran out of gas for the last 20 allowing us to coast home.

Another good performance by Naby. Sadio played his heart out and gave off an assist and Hendo was very solid. Thank goodness for Virgil and Alisson who saved our arses early in the game. That's why we paid the big bucks.

All in all, a professional performance by us in an entertaining high quality match.

Red over the water

Something rotten at Napoli. Ancelotti is an excellent manager. Current issues with leadership, and so perhaps it’s just the big boss putting the smack down. But he is a divvy and basically takes a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. No nuance whatsoever, no ability to understand the players and come to a good mutual conclusion.

Ancelotti is well out of it. He will land on his feet as he is so highly regarded. All depends how hungry he is and what he wants to do, but he could sort Arsenal out, for example.

Magnus

I can't do a proper MotM this game, so many stood out. But I think our best 3 was maybe Mane, Henderson and Van Dijk. Van Dijk stifled their attack, maybe MotM for that. Mane absolute superior going forward, best on the pitch by a mile. Salah comes second in that regard (also close to those three). I am not the biggest fan of our captain (when I say that, I don't mean to say that I am not a fan, just that he is not among the Liverpool players I usually consider our very best, so understand me correctly please, since we all agree he is a very good player), but his performance was absolutely fantastic, he controlled everything, and made some very intelligent passes. Naby Keita a welcome addition, he did well, but far from so well like many here hypes him to have done (really, MotM ahead of Mane ? What are you guys smoking, must be fucking strong socks !!!!) and I fear that such illogical hyping will have unfortunate consequences if he has an average game next time. Robertson also really outstanding, so was Gini ! But sure, Keita was very good. 7, maybe 8/10 performance, but others were clearly better and so deserve MotM ahead of him on merit, so I suspect many here gave Keita MotM simply too be kind because he has been struggling earlier in the season. Imo, one should only give MotM on merit alone, but that is my opinion.

In any case, this was a super fun game and there is now wonderful Champions League games to look forward to for us in the future :)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Hope Levenkusen knock out AM they would be my concern out of those teams we could get, I still feel we can play anyone. I remember getting Munich last year and I just didn't feel worried, same feeling now.

As for Lovern I'd stick with Klopp, he doesn't usually downplay an injury if serious and he seems to have done so with this so I assume we won't see Lovern at the weekend but I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in Qatar.

gr_sounder

Disagree with this, how many fouls did Kwemu commit without a card I counted 6 and a couple of times our forwards were mauled.
That's fair to have your opinion on it, and yes, persistent infringement of the laws of the game constitutes a yellow card, but what constitutes persistent infringement is entirely in the judgement of the ref as to what is needed to manage the game.

But just to have actual facts rather than fake news, I'll start by assuming by Kwemu you actually mean Enock Mwepu. During the match, RB Salzburg as a team committed 10 fouls, with Mwepu committing 4 of them (not 6). It's possible he was nearing the limit and another would have gotten him a card, but again who knows other than the ref.

This referee didn't pull out cards easily, and honestly there wasn't a need in this match as I saw it. I'm not saying I would have officiated it exactly the same way, but I didn't see anything here that suggested he was poor. Again, he might not have called it to your satisfaction, but that doesn't mean he was poor.

koptician

We'll go again!
Keita, Mane, salah, VVD, Hendo, wijnaldum, Alisson all man of the match.
Keita at times is brilliant and adds a different dimension to our game. He is so tidy and sneaks in without anyone noticing.
Also felt wijnaldum had a monstrous game.
Hendo is becoming a world class player now.
This is by far the best game we have played.
We wore them down, they attacked like crazy, we did the same and when they tired, we showed our class and put the game to bed.
Our teams fitness is unbelievable!!
As for Salzburg, I think they deserved to go ahead instead of that fucking fraud team napoli.
They have good players, think we should seriously look at Minamino.
Top top professional performance against a dangerous side who I think will be one of the favourites for the Europa League title.

Degsy can’t play too many games in a row without breaking down, we need to manage his time now.

So happy for Naby Keita aka Baby Keith. Always believed in his quality and chuffed to see him fit and firing. He will get even better with match sharpness. Another attacking weapon for opponents to worry about.

Minamino would seamlessly slot into one of our wide forward positions. Klopp talked about scoring goals by breaking lines. Well Takumi breaks through all sorts of lines.

RedLar

From where I sit, the match was in the balance for an hour, then we suckered them with 2 quick jabs to the solar plexus, took the stuffing out of them, and they basically said "fuck it, not our night".

Till we did score, I thought they were more than a good match, as we often struggled to work ourselves out from the back, while they found it a little easier. We gave away a fair bit of needless ball too.

Remind me a lot of Ajax last season. Play with little fear of who they are up against. Good side. That 'Minho Menina' dude would look good in Red, as would a few of their lads imho.

They'd trouble a few top sides in England, so a great win under pressure.

Lostmyfunk 3421

Standing on the verge of getting it on
Missed the game. Will read through the thread later.
Chuffed we won!!!
Anyone know how to watch the highlights??

Was spot on about Naby starting!!! (Former club and all, great last game-- had to play)..
how was Bobby last night? Back to his best??? Any concerns??
Ox and Milner (f/b) back at the weekend and probably Shaq or\ and Divock up top. Robertson must have a break. Hendo too and probably Bobby or Salah as well. Who we got, Watford away??

When is the draw - I want somewhere exotic.

Incognito

The Normal One
“It was like a heavyweight fight,” Marsch said. “We punched but then they punched us twice more.”
Wellcome in the Universe called LFC Sir!
If they hadn't released that video of half time at Anfield, we would have scored earlier. But we decided to kill off the game second half so that nonsense won't happen again. Our players don't miss sitters just like that. All part of the plan! :sneaky:

PS. Did he say twice, TWICE.. TWWIIICCCCEEE

Last edited:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I would not be surprised if LFC has brought in some sports psychologists to work with the players in the last 18 months. I've worked with them myself when I was in some elite camps at SFU in my late teens, and learning how to deal with the mental side is massive. "mentality monsters" isn't just a catch phrase, it's a way of life.

confidence in yourself and finally getting a big result does wonders for it. finally lifting a trophy after likely blaming himself for the red card and subsequent collapse of 13/14 would have been a massive blow. then the Europa final loss. Then the CL Final loss, then coming second with 98pts in league. All would have been incredibly difficult obstacles to overcome.

But since July 2019 they are champions and that does wonders for individual and team morale/belief. We are seeing the end results now. :)
I am going to copyright that.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Just wondering. My mind is a blur. When we were in the early stages of the Champions league last season, was it it this tough, we had to get a point to get through. Did we top the group or came 2nd?
We are not some dross from Manchester, for whom help is required from the FA, UEFA, PL, referee to level the playing field.
We are Liverpool. We are the big leagues. We are the top dogs. We are the heavyweights. We always get the toughest fights, because only we can do it. Every single time.

mikodelniko13

Brilliant 2nd half, controlled the game well and we were dangerous and extremely wasteful.
Alison was superb
VVD my MOM
Kieta passing and forward movement
Henderson industrious but this time effective
Salah hard to describe scored impossible goal but he missed way way too many
Firmino had a very average night
Overall great game against a very fit and dangerous team

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
an excellent team performance. Alisson made some vital saves early doors when we were under siege, but we gradually came into the game and spurned some excellent chances. the second half was more assured and we assumed control after scoring our quick fire goals - made up for both Naby and Mo, especially Mo as he did miss a few!

Salzburg are an exciting team and will do well in the Europa. Great atmosphere too.

I'm off to enjoy a relaxing smoke...………..er, a pipe that is!!!

Sweeting

Just wondering. My mind is a blur. When we were in the early stages of the Champions league last season, was it it this tough, we had to get a point to get through. Did we top the group or came 2nd?
Had to win our last game to go through, Napoli at home, which we did 1-0.

Finished 2nd on 9pts- won all our home and lost all away games.