• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post-match: S'hampton 0 - 3 LFC

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid
pottymonster said:
This one was the last straw; I'm fully on the ptt we're going to win the league bandwagon.
Only once since the Premier League's inception has a team been top at Christmas and not won the league.

I can't see us being the second ;-)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
____________Pl__GD_Pts
1 Chelsea___28__30__63
2 Liverpool___28__38__59
3 Arsenal____28__24__59
4 Man City___26__42__57
5 Tottenham__27__03__50
6 Everton____27__11__48
7 Man Utd___27__12 __45

I can't stop looking at this :)

The great thing is, watching Arsenal on MOTD and they look gone. They've got a bastard of a month and they've failed one of the theoretically easier tests.

Ten games. Thirty points to play for. What a fantastic season.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
____________Pl__GD_Pts
1 Chelsea___28__30__63
2 Liverpool___28__38__59
3 Arsenal____28__24__59
4 Man City___26__42__57
5 Tottenham__27__03__50
6 Everton____27__11__48
7 Man Utd___27__12 __45

The great thing is, watching Arsenal on MOTD and they look gone. They've got a bastard of a month and they've failed one of the theoretically easier tests.

This makes me so happy.

time to get right plastered. Cheers!

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Maulkin said:
Sterling impressed me, the only role he can't play and excel at is center back, I guess.
We could simply place his right leg in a cast... that should slow him down a little.

;)

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Mascot88 said:
____________Pl__GD_Pts
1 Chelsea___28__30__63
2 Liverpool___28__38__59
3 Arsenal____28__24__59
4 Man City___26__42__57
5 Tottenham__27__03__50
6 Everton____27__11__48
7 Man Utd___27__12 __45

we hardly gone mate after one defeat but well done on your team win anyway

Walter Sobchak

lovepool said:
Chelsea v Spurs next weekend. Do we now want Spurs to win??
Absolutely! Spurs are not going to catch up to us. After playing Cardiff, Spurs got one bitch of a month. City and Chavs are the ones we need to beat for the title. And it's not enough to beat them at home. Go Spurs!

soberphobia

redandwhite3 said:
Like us your destiny is in your own hands but you really do have a very ugly fixture list over the next 5 weeks. I think that is what was being referred to. Given that we are now even on points and a better goal difference and you have big cup games to play and some tough fixtures whilst really missing Ramsey and Walcott.

You haven't looked the same team offensively without them. Giroud is really a bit shit and the team looks tired. Wenger has been here before and pulled a rabbit out of his hat and he will need to do so again.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
redandwhite3 said:
Yeah, see the post above this one. But additionally the worry I'd have if I was an Arsenal fan would be the character of the team today. The body language of the players was appalling from the highlights I watched. They seem to have given up. You're well in it, but but I,d be very concerned given the upcoming fixtures.

slufsar

Walter Sobchak said:
Absolutely! Spurs are not going to catch up to us. After playing Cardiff, Spurs got one bitch of a month. City and Chavs are the ones we need to beat for the title. And it's not enough to beat them at home. Go Spurs!
If Spurs beat Cardiff tomorrow (cardiff are horrific, so that will happen) and then beat Chelsea, they're just 3 points behind us. And they've got easier fixtures than we've got. I'd not be so cocky

anglian_red

I told you Southampton had 4 wins in 16 and we had nothing to worry about didn't I? :p

No seriously how great does that win feel today? This feels like a special moment to me and we should proud of that display today. I hoped Brendan would make changes today, due to Southampton beating us twice in a row with an identical gameplan, and the manager responded. I forgot to actually list my team but todays XI is what I would've put out, but the 'diamond' was unexpected. We had some nervy moments early on as Southampton typically closed our back four down but we seemed to play slightly deeper than we have recently, play more long passes and Mignolet went long with practically every goal kick.

We controlled the game reasonably well in the second half. Brendan deserves credit for the change because putting Sterling central looked odd, but he was able to burst past markers and kick Southampton in the teeth just as they were getting into it.

Suarez was very good, finally got that 24th goal. I thought Joe Allen was pretty good. Top save from Mignolet first half which could've made it a very tough day otherwise and he flew out for a brilliant punch in the second half as we were under pressure. Special mention to Glen Johnson who I thought played his best game of the season today.

Minor criticisms; anybody who honestly believes Steven Gerrard is an anchoring midfielder needs to watch this game. Lallana had far too much room in the first half, he kept getting the ball in front of our back four and none of the three midfielders were within 10 yards of him when he picked it up. Just after he hit the post on around 30 minutes, there was a moment where you see Gerrard look round, he spots Lallana, he sees the pass to him but doesn't chase him. On another day they could've got a couple of goals from it.

Walter Sobchak

slufsar said:
If Spurs beat Cardiff tomorrow (cardiff are horrific, so that will happen) and then beat Chelsea, they're just 3 points behind us. And they've got easier fixtures than we've got. I'd not be so cocky
But you are the "Slufsar" ;) We pay you to be pessimistic on behalf of all of us other hopefuls.

Of course, we'll need to keep up the good job. Since undeservedly loosing to City and (less undeservedly) to the Chavs, we're been almost stellar. Everything depends on us keeping going like that.

And if we do, we'll be way ahead of Spurs. In my opinion, we're (maybe) en route to get much better than 4th. 4th I don't like. It means play offs for CL, maybe against the likes of Dortmund (though they seem to be back on track now). If we get results against Chavs and City, we might win the whole thing. At this point, 4th will be a let down.

3rd or better!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
redandwhite3 said:
It is 8 of 18 points, and 6 of those versus relegation candidates - and you are running out of those to play. That was supposed to be a soft stretch, with just Liverpool and Southampton away as real challenges. Your league season may be in serious trouble with a loss to Spurs.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
slufsar said:
Of course, that sequence of events would mean that a win versus ManU would put us one point behind the Chavs with a game at Anfield yet to come. I'd still prefer to see a draw so that both Chelsea and Spurs drop points.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
norwegian wood said:
I still prefer a draw. Don't feel safe quite yet. Both of them dropping two points would suit me fine.
The great thing about the position we're in is that there are positives to take from any kind of result.

The only thing I don't want is for one of them to hand out a battering, and eat into our goal difference advantage.

Claymenza

One game at a time folks. Chelsea clearly uses their strikers are decoys for their midfielders to score. At one point one team will figure out to pack the midfield instead of the defense.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Mascot88 said:
The great thing about the position we're in is that there are positives to take from any kind of result.

The only thing I don't want is for one of them to hand out a battering, and eat into our goal difference advantage.
We have a 35 goal advantage on Spurs - they would have to gain 3 per game to even get close, so not worried about them. But a draw would still be preferable, it would really start to shape the last 10 games as a tight four team race.

I keep thinking 'It's March!' and laughing to myself.

anglian_red

If Spurs win tomorrow we're still 7 points clear of them in effect. If we get out of Old Trafford unbeaten then we don't need to panic yet.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Arminius said:
We have a 35 goal advantage on Spurs - they would have to gain 3 per game to even get close, so not worried about them. But a draw would still be preferable, it would really start to shape the last 10 games as a tight four team race.

I keep thinking 'It's March!' and laughing to myself.
Fair enough, but if Chelsea had out the same kind of drubbing to Sours that we gave them, then their GD would be not far off ours.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Mascot88 said:
Fair enough, but if Chelsea had out the same kind of drubbing to Sours that we gave them, then their GD would be not far off ours.
While I would prefer a draw, an inverse pounding where Spurs against all the laws of probability hand out a 5-0 to Chelsea, would likely cement our advantage against Chelsea.

A draw really would be an excellent result, the point doesn't do much for Chelsea versus us (5 points versus 4 now, still 2 wins to get ahead though we lose the tiebreaker advantage), and really drops Tottenham back.

Assuming we get the business done at Old Trafford.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
In a perfect world, we beat utd.

Then chelsea draw with spurs, that puts us 2 pts behind them, and we still have to play them.

It's effectively the same as being 1 point behind them, either way we have to get a win at an field.

It's all too far ahead for me to really waste time thinking about.

The next game, that's all, nothing more, nothing less. The next game.

Claymenza

Having a tight top 4 is what this league should be like. I actually watched the arsenal match when Fulham started losing.

SupaLFC

A couple of draws would do nicely as well. Or even 1 draw and we finish the job by beating them. Its so exciting to be in this title race. Way more exciting than 08/09 imo. Because we were so far back at that point, even after beating United we only closed the gap to 4 i think and they never relented. Beat City and Chelsea and its 1 point. I have a strange feeling City will implode. They should be more fluid with Aguero back but they have been struggling to score for 3 or 4 games now and we have not had such a run all season except in the beginning. They will be under so much pressure to win those games in hand i cant imagine. They wont be worried about us but the 6 pt gap to CFC.

I don't see Arsenal catching us. We have caught up to them and they haven't started this ridiculous run they are going to go on in the next month. Getting 3rd or higher will be immense. No worry about United winning the CL and replacing us and no qualifiers which mean earlier transfer targets.

jimbo

TIA Regular
Not posted as been celebrating in the pub..

But Suarez was class , the best!
Migs and skertal were brilliant but joe Allen was unsung hero!

Suarez jus world class, we beat Man U and we have a chance to pile pressure on Chelsea!

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Make no mistake this could well be the biggest United game in recent memory. They wont want to drop 6 points to us and allow us any chance of winning a title.