• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post-match: S'hampton 0 - 3 LFC

SupaLFC

jimmydestiny said:
Make no mistake this could well be the biggest United game in recent memory. They wont want to drop 6 points to us and allow us any chance of winning a title.
I think you are giving that lot too much credit. They still have good players but they have not shown an ounce of fight all season...even in the CL. Rodgers will get us stuck in against them. Gerrard and Suarez will have this team so motivated to put a nail in their coffin. Those are probably the two who have suffered the most at their hands in different ways none the less

anglian_red

If denying Liverpool the double over them and seriously denting our title challenge isn't enough to get Man United players motivated then what is?

LFC7NH

anglian_red said:
If denying Liverpool the double over them and seriously denting our title challenge isn't enough to get Man United players motivated then what is?
This will be their cup final, I'm sure they'll raise their game for us (god knows they can't lower it! lol)

How many times have we heard that the other way around in recent times??

Happy times!! :cheers:

anglian_red

I really hope David Moyes relies on the experience of Ferdinand & Vidic to get him through this difficult fixture.

Those two vs Suarez, Sterling & Sturridge with only Tom Cleverley and Michael Carrick in front of them is hugely exciting.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
LFC7NH said:
This will be their cup final, I'm sure they'll raise their game for us (god knows they can't lower it! lol) How many times have we heard that the other way around in recent times?? Happy times!! :cheers:
The game they have 2 days later is bigger

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
LFC7NH said:
Is it only 2 days? Ours going to get moved to Saturday then?
Maybe it's 3. I'm sure they'll be up for us regardless, but our game isn't their 'cup game' make their season type

anglian_red

Man United play us on Sunday the 16th and Olimpiacos on Wednesday the 19th

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Buzzing here, fantastic result from a very nervy game.
Finishing top 3 is now in our own hands.

May the progress continue (one game at a time of course)

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
I think I've looked at the table on 10 separate occasions over the past 8 hours and I can't stop smiling!

Fantastic!!!!!!

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Semmy said:
Missed the first 15min, happy to see the 4-3-1-2 when I tuned in. Clog up the middle, force their FB to push up the flanks then hit on the counter.

Flanno and GJ struggled with the isolation vs their FB, but got support from the 3 CM's who closed down the passing lanes. CB were solid in the air and cluttered up the box.

SG had a bit of a rough go today, had a bit of trouble reading the runs going past him and Soton was able to receive balls and turn towards goal.

Credit to Soton tho, they have some talented players who can make those turns easily. I would take Schneiderlein, Shaw, Lovren, and Wanyama in red.

Allen and Hendo have incredible workrates. They caused many turnovers. Great progress by those two
Not baiting but just curious.

Not a single mention to Suarez? Did you not ask him to be benched because of the goal drought?

A goal, an assist and a penalty.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
gasband said:
I would think that Chelsea drawing with Spurs would be good enough for us, putting us 2 points behind them if we beat Man U and putting Spurs hopes to the end. Spurs beating Chelsea would of course be not disastrous for us too. Whatever it is, we can only focus on winning our games because the top 4 is too tight to call now as it can change from game to game.
Winning the next game at united in old trafford is very important for us. We should put another 110% performance and win it.

Why should we be thinking about the other team's game.

Let us win our games and let them make the other teams worry about us.

Let chelsea/city be afraid that we will overtake them and win the league. Let them worry how to nick a draw in the trip to Anfield.

Let arsenal be worried whether they will be able to finish top 4 this season at all.

Let spurs be thinking how to catch arsenal and finish in the fourth spot.

Let everton/united be wondering whether the mathematical possibility of top 4 is over or not.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
slufsar said:
If Spurs beat Cardiff tomorrow (cardiff are horrific, so that will happen) and then beat Chelsea, they're just 3 points behind us. And they've got easier fixtures than we've got. I'd not be so cocky
Exactly. A draw would be great.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
It's on like donkey kong, kids. That was an assured performance by a confident team. We're officially in the title hunt.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
slufsar said:
If Spurs beat Cardiff tomorrow (cardiff are horrific, so that will happen) and then beat Chelsea, they're just 3 points behind us. And they've got easier fixtures than we've got. I'd not be so cocky
If we beat everyone from here on out till the end of the season, we'd probably be the league champions.... can't give it a rest? We had just come off from a very difficult game and won it with 3 goals without conceding. What more do you want?

Reactions: bes

Claymenza

Being out of the fa cup was a blessing in disguise. Offensively, the likes of Henderson and sterling will be knackered at some point. It's good to know that allen is till fresh as an alternative.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I am amazed we are in the title race, we have the thinest squad, all key players have suffered injuries ( or banned ) during the season ( except Hendo and Coutinho ), amazing.

While Chelsea are in the driving seat, and we practicly need to win every game untill the end of the season to win the title, we are in a great form as a team, no outside distractions, I can't see a match where we are not favored to win. tough and close games - sure, but I think we are favored to win every home game, no matter the opposition, and our away games are tricky at best.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I'm now just thinking about one season at a time. I'm not even considering winning the next one until we've won this one.

For me, I want to see Chelsea lose the Spurs match as it will set them wobbling more than a draw.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
ptt said:
I'm now just thinking about one season at a time. I'm not even considering winning the next one until we've won this one.

For me, I want to see Chelsea lose the Spurs match as it will set them wobbling more than a draw.
Completely agree with this. I don't understand why some fans are still worried about Top 4 when we're in the run for the league.

Would most fan just settle for 4th if it was given to them now? I know I wouldn't. If Spurs are going to catch up to anyone in the Top 4 it will be Arsenal and not us.

Understandably it would be very difficult for us to win the league but we need to keep believing that we can do it. How often do we get a season like this where we can believe that we're in for it! C'mon guys show some optimism and enjoy it! Trust me, the feeling is amazing.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
ptt said:

You're mistaken them for Arsenal mate... Chelsea has more resilient in them than most give credit for. I don't care if it wobbles them, let them drop points, be it two or three. As long as we can capitalise it and beat them in our own ground. We need to make Anfield a fortress again, and the likes of Chelsea would want to come and defend for their life.

sunburst

TIA Youth Team
Don't forget City have 2 games in hand now, so are very much in the driving seat for the title. We are not in control of our destiny in regard to top spot, we are reliant on Chelsea and City dropping points. We are in control of wether we get Champions league though, so win the next game, and the next etc... who knows ;)

ptt

2020, head of the table.
sunburst said:
Don't forget City have 2 games in hand now, so are very much in the driving seat for the title. We are not in control of our destiny in regard to top spot, we are reliant on Chelsea and City dropping points. We are in control of wether we get Champions league though, so win the next game, and the next etc... who knows ;)
No, they'll lose them both :)

NZred

The Red From NZ
Great performance and an even better win. Really didn't expect us to come away with the points and even more surprised at the score line. Massive tip of the hat the Mignolet, that save at the end of the first half was massive. If we'd of gone in level after withstanding that barrage the score might have been very different. He is a truly world class shot stopper.

I'm not getting too carried away re the title challenge, still happy with a top 3/4 finish. If we beat United in a fortnight then I might allow myself to dream. Until then it's careful and cautious.

Clive

redbj said:
In a perfect world, we beat utd.
I'm getting strange echoes of the 1-4 at old Trafford from 5 years ago. One game at a time..... One game at a time.....great to look ahead to the fixture list with optimism for a change!

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Clive said:
I'm getting strange echoes of the 1-4 at old Trafford from 5 years ago. One game at a time..... One game at a time.....great to look ahead to the fixture list with optimism for a change!
it was great win for you yesterday and thier no doubt your in the title race now. got tough away game coming up in two weeks but no reason why you can,t win their

RedSeven

On the one road
sunburst said:
1 drawn game for both city and Chelsea puts the title in our grasp,it would be ours to lose.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
redandwhite3 said:
it was great win for you yesterday and thier no doubt your in the title race now. got tough away game coming up in two weeks but no reason why you can,t win their
Grammar police alert :D It's 'there' in the context you have used it!

RazvanLFC

zagueiro said:
Grammar police alert :D It's 'there' in the context you have used it!
Leave it mate, you`d have a lot of work to do if you`re gonna point out his grammar mistakes everytime... you have a lot of work to do to point out his grammar mistakes even in the post you quoted.

It's one of those posts which make a hard reading for someone who's native language isn't English. At least he showed he can show up and be friendly when his team is not doing well so thumbs up for him.

I'm still in shock with the fact that we managed to keep a clean sheet yesterday. What kind of sorcery is this?!